You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
General_Strom

I have been gone for almost a year so what gives with the auto flame throwing tier 10s?

58 comments in this topic

[AK-47]
Beta Testers
242 posts
2,691 battles

I played two battles in one in Cleveland the other in the Hipper in a tier ten match and I was lit up with flame throwing automatic  machine guns and killed before I could maneuver a single turn.  I think I got off one or two shots and spent the rest of the time trying to maneuver with no luck( as I said I did not make one turn)  LOL. What gives?  I have been gone about a year has the tier ten ships fire power been upgraded?   I had a battle in the Bismark and the tier 10 cruisers gun had a range further then I could shoot.  How do 8 inch guns out range 15 inch guns?  I know I am rusty but WOW!  I did not last a minute once contact was made and some of the ships were not even visible.  Sort of getting frustrated playing the tier eights when I keep getting sunk on contact against the tier 10s.

Does WoWs have the same issue WoT does with tier 8s?

Do I need to just get the rust off or am I seeing a known issue?   Thanks for your thoughts and any suggestions folks!

Members
139 posts
4,871 battles

Welcome back, it's going to take some getting used to. Mistakes will get punished severely the higher you get. I can do okay with Tier 8s in Tier X matches, you just need to be more cautious if you're in cruisers and BBs, let the higher tier ships make first contact, then move in support of them. 

• Cool 1

[--V--]
Members
483 posts
10,633 battles

HE Spam from T10 Cruisers and Brit BBs,,, and DDs,,, and lots of CLs spewing HE.  Yea,,, that's normal now.   Forget the fact that ships didn't fire HE at other ships in reality,,,, just sayin.  :)

Edited by SeaborneSumo
  • Cool 4

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,748 posts
11,142 battles

harugamo dd will eat you up

• Cool 2

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,922 posts
3,548 battles

Nothing special here. You're going to have to get used to it, it will be awhile before WG decides it's not healthy for the game. IFHE is currently "being looked at"

[MIA-A]
Members
2,014 posts
9,623 battles
5 minutes ago, SeaborneSumo said:

HE Spam from T10 Cruisers and Brit BBs,,, and DDs,,, and lots of CLs spewing HE.  Yea,,, that's normal now.   Forget the fact that ships didn't fire HE at other ships in reality,,,, just sayin:)

I dunno about that, mate. Here's a Russian at Tsushima:
Commander Vladimir Semenoff, a Russian staff officer aboard the flagship Knyaz Suvorov, said "It seemed impossible even to count the number of projectiles striking us. Shells seemed to be pouring upon us incessantly one after another.The steel plates and superstructure on the upper decks were torn to pieces, and the splinters caused many casualties. Iron ladders were crumpled up into rings, guns were literally hurled from their mountings. In addition to this, there was the unusually high temperature and liquid flame of the explosion, which seemed to spread over everything. I actually watched a steel plate catch fire from a burst."

But that's Tsushima. Let's do something more recent, like at the attack on Truk in 1944.
"At mean range of 14,500yds, Iowa closed with Katori and fired 46 16-inch (406 mm) high capacity (non-armor-piercing) rounds and 124 5-inch (127 mm), straddling the cruiser with eight salvos. CAG 17/A16-3 reports Iowa hits Katori with her second salvo. Just after Iowa's fourth salvo, Katori quickly listed to port exposing seven large shell holes about 5 feet (1.5 m) in diameter in her starboard side, one under the bridge about five feet below the waterline another amidships about at the waterline, plus about nine small holes."

• Cool 1

[LHG]
Members
1,190 posts
4,924 battles

Players have figured out that the optimal strategy for cruisers and some destroyers is to spam HE from long range and preferably in concealment or behind cover, since sailing out in the open will get ships killed even faster by devastating AP salvos. Ships without the concealment to break for cover or the accuracy to respond, like German BBs which lack both, are almost completely invalidated by this meta. T8 and above is where damage output gets significantly stronger than survivability, so you're going to have to (re)learn how to manage engagements. Gone are the days where battleships, or any ship really, can be spotted without consequence.

e: added a word for clarity

Edited by Flashtirade
  • Cool 3

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,197 posts
3,871 battles

Players adapted to battleships.

Now it's time for battleships to adapt. And by that, I mean they'll just whine to Papa WG until the things they don't like are nerfed, because that's how battleships have adapted for the past 3 years.

• Cool 12
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 10
  • Angry 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,378 posts
7,974 battles
1 hour ago, SeaborneSumo said:

Forget the fact that ships didn't fire HE at other ships in reality

Actually, can't reacall but I'm pretty sure it was USN DD/DE that carried almost exclusively HE rounds (maybe a handful of AP, Star Shells, etc) seeing as the shell used doubled as an AA shell, and AP wasn't going through much anyway, or it may have been a class of cruiser, such as Atlanta. As I recall the battle off Samar the DE's that charged the IJN task force when they fired their guns were firing HE rounds. 

Game is counter reality in many areas anyway, namely that, when you consider the listed damage in game is hitting the citadel, HE rounds, that can have 3-5x the explosives per shell than the AP, deal less damage than AP rounds (except USN bombs even though the scaling is way off have it right that AP does less). Yeah, AP was more likely to reach vital areas of capital ships - but HE packed more punch and could tear through smaller ships and the superstructure. 

[ONAVY]
Members
694 posts
6,142 battles
1 hour ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Players adapted to battleships.

Now it's time for battleships to adapt. And by that, I mean they'll just whine to Papa WG until the things they don't like are nerfed, because that's how battleships have adapted for the past 3 years.

I thought you were going to say BB's need to push in...which is the correct strategy when they, HE spamming vermin, are behind something...they can not lower they're arc low enough to hit you the closer you get. Then you push around and show them who's "Pappa" with an AP broadside which knocks them so far out of the game it makes their computer kick them to the desktop.

Edited by C_D
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,197 posts
3,871 battles
17 minutes ago, C_D said:

I thought you were going to say BB's need to push in...which is the correct strategy when they, HE spamming vermin, are behind something...they can not lower they're arc low enough to hit you the closer you get. Then you push around and show them who's "Pappa" with an AP broadside which knocks them so far out of the game it makes their computer kick them to the desktop.

Good play? Why would I expect that?

• Cool 1

[AK-47]
Beta Testers
242 posts
2,691 battles

I played my Baltimore for the 1st time. Never saw a target and was killed in one shot by a tier ten BB that was invisible.  Wasted Flags etc Did not get to play. NOT FUN This is just like WoT tier 8 always fighting tier 10s that are so over powered compared to the 8s.  I stopped playing WoT because of that.  Today I have had ONE battle that my tier 8 was top tier.  I am tired of Wargaming using tier 8s as fodder for the 9s and 10s.  I guess I should have know NOTHING ever changes with Wargaming.

• Cool 2

Members
1,550 posts
9,822 battles

Welcome back. What's new? 

1) Tier 8 ships are now bottom tier 80% of the time. Wait! there's more!  Not only that but you will be lucky if there's more than another two tier 8s in your t10 battles.

2) WG has flooded the high tiers with radar equipped super spammy U.S cruisers. They sit behind islands all battle using spotters or radar to spam HE on enemy BBs. Remember how Atlanta was able to rain HE on you non stop until you got out of range? Well, surprise!!  now there's lots of cruisers that can do this from longer range!

3) To add to the excitement, several new high tier spam gunboat DDs were recently introduced. They have a reload of 2.5 seconds and because of all the new radar they too hide behind islands just like the cruisers. 

So much fun these days, Enjoy!

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[AK-47]
Beta Testers
242 posts
2,691 battles

Well ships did not camp like folks do in this game. Personally I like the open sea map.  Ships hid to hide their location not to fire over the island in real life.  Personally ships just standing still or moving backwards was not standard military doctrine.  My father served on a DD. Not one of his stories told of shooting over island with out having a line of sight to a target.  To many time I cant get a shot because an Island get in the way or my reload has not popped when a target was open for 3 seconds.  BB are the worst with these multiple island getting in the way.  Yeah I know it just an arcade game...................

[PNG]
Supertester
5,657 posts
6,455 battles

The counter to lightweight flame ships has always been strong, focused pinpoint damage.

• Funny 1

[AK-47]
Beta Testers
242 posts
2,691 battles
22 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Welcome back. What's new? 

1) Tier 8 ships are now bottom tier 80% of the time. Wait! there's more!  Not only that but you will be lucky if there's more than another two tier 8s in your t10 battles.

2) WG has flooded the high tiers with radar equipped super spammy U.S cruisers. They sit behind islands all battle using spotters or radar to spam HE on enemy BBs. Remember how Atlanta was able to rain HE on you non stop until you got out of range? Well, surprise!!  now there's lots of cruisers that can do this from longer range!

3) To add to the excitement, several new high tier spam gunboat DDs were recently introduced. They have a reload of 2.5 seconds and because of all the new radar they too hide behind islands just like the cruisers. 

So much fun these days, Enjoy!

I love your quote about your dad and his passengers. LOL Toi Funny thanks that made my day :)

[WOLF2]
Members
359 posts
6,037 battles

Well you know WG is devious that way. 

Hardly anyone was using fire prevention skills/upgrades, so let's help increase fire spam which will make people spend doubloons to change to fire prevention skills/upgrades.

Then one day they'll magically decide to change it back, so you have to spend.....you get the message.

This is just my cynical view on it though. :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
3,366 posts
2,378 battles
1 hour ago, khan1670 said:

Hardly anyone was using fire prevention skills/upgrades

Because they sucked.   I'll probably get downvoted (again) for saying this next bit, but it's true...  And they still do.
There's SO MUCH HE spam nowadays, that reducing one maximum fire on your hull doesn't really help, the 2 buffs to reduce cooldown on your consumables are quite impotent, and the only good thing worthwhile are premium repairs (if your ship has repairs), and premium DCP.

I mean, you still take those prevention skills and ship modules... Every little bit helps... but they really don't do enough IMHO.
I would dare suggest they aren't worth it.  I didn't take any of them on my Yamato, Musashi, and most of my premium BBs and I really don't survive much longer.  Maybe 30sec longer at most nowadays.
The only solution is what everyone is complaining about.  Hang back.  Unfortunately with new ships mentioned in this tread, even cruisers are starting to stick as much as the back as they can.

HE spam is a real problem.  It was already happening too much a year ago, now it's just stupid (and it works !).

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 2

[WOLFA]
Members
8 posts
7,839 battles

This is exactly why I play a lot of Co-op (ohhh I said the dirty word) now since random has become mostly useless. The current game is 0 team work spam he hide spam some more, but honestly having played all except CV  that is the only way I see a cruiser to play. Get spotted you die fast. In a BB get to close to islands burned to the water. The game is broken and getting worse.

I am actively looking at my other games, and unless something gives as soon as my 50 days premium is gone so am I. I think a lot may be leaving soon as with me the game is so stale, and I see nothing better coming along. For me they better make PvE better because PvP is so broken I see no fixing it.

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
3,366 posts
2,378 battles
6 minutes ago, PoP_56_61 said:

This is exactly why I play a lot of Co-op (ohhh I said the dirty word) now since random has become mostly useless. The current game is 0 team work spam he hide spam some more, but honestly having played all except CV  that is the only way I see a cruiser to play. Get spotted you die fast. In a BB get to close to islands burned to the water. The game is broken and getting worse.

I am actively looking at my other games, and unless something gives as soon as my 50 days premium is gone so am I. I think a lot may be leaving soon as with me the game is so stale, and I see nothing better coming along. For me they better make PvE better because PvP is so broken I see no fixing it.

Yup when I had enough of the HE spam and other annoyances, that's what I did.  Moved to coop and happy to be there.
Does not mean I will stop telling WG how I feel about HE spam every chance I get.  Probably why I don't get any surveys anymore ! :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[OPG]
Members
3,902 posts
5,503 battles
1 hour ago, Francois424 said:

Because they sucked.   I'll probably get downvoted (again) for saying this next bit, but it's true...  And they still do.
There's SO MUCH HE spam nowadays, that reducing one maximum fire on your hull doesn't really help

Fire Preventions is a highly valuable skill.  It doesn't just reduce the amount fires burning on your ship from 4 to 3, it also merges the two super structure fire zones into one.  Given most HE spammers aim center mass, your super structure is by far the most like place to be set on fire.  If you angle your ship your rearmost fire section is incredibly difficult to set on fire...so in practice FP actually reduces the amount of fires that are likely to be burning on your ship from 3 to 2.....but then lastly, once again most HE spammers aim center mass, so FP even has a noticeable reduction in the amount of times you are stuck with double fires burning, and they are rarely an issue if you make smart use of your damage repair and have good positioning.

Edited by yashma
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers
3,366 posts
2,378 battles
1 minute ago, yashma said:

Fire Preventions is a highly valuable skill.  It doesn't just reduce the amount fires burning on your ship from 4 to 3, it also merges the two super structure fire zones into one.  Given most HE spammers aim center mass, your super structure is by far the most like place to be set on fire.  If you angle your ship your rearmost fire section is incredibly difficult to set on fire...so in practice FP actually reduces the amount of fires that are likely to be burning on your ship from 3 to 2.....but then lastly, once again most HE spammers aim center mass, so FP even has a noticeable reduction in the amount of times you are stuck with double fires burning, and they are rarely an issue if you make smart use of your damage repair and have good positioning.

Agreed, but there's so much HE spam, even with that I always get 2 fires at least, sometimes even 3.  And HE isn't only the fires, you get damaged like crazy as well nowadays.  It's better than nothing, some even say that it's overpowered.  But I'd rather trade it up for better balance with the HE shells (and fire) in general .
It's not so much the amount of fires that they can set-up, rather than the fact you almost always get on fire... thus why I think it's irrelevant still.  Good yes.  but irrelevant.   I'll actually concede on one thing.  Tier 9 and 10.  At those tiers ships have better fire resistance, so some games it makes a difference.  I just haven't noticed THAT much of an improvement, took it off of 2 of my most played ships, and hardly noticed a difference... and that's just wrong imho.  4 points is very expensive given my findings.

Since I have a captain with it and another without, I'll try alternating some more and take more notes... I might change my mind at somepoint.

[MIA-A]
[MIA-A]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,004 posts
7,666 battles
1 hour ago, Francois424 said:

Agreed, but there's so much HE spam, even with that I always get 2 fires at least, sometimes even 3.  And HE isn't only the fires, you get damaged like crazy as well nowadays.  It's better than nothing, some even say that it's overpowered.  But I'd rather trade it up for better balance with the HE shells (and fire) in general .
It's not so much the amount of fires that they can set-up, rather than the fact you almost always get on fire... thus why I think it's irrelevant still.  Good yes.  but irrelevant.   I'll actually concede on one thing.  Tier 9 and 10.  At those tiers ships have better fire resistance, so some games it makes a difference.  I just haven't noticed THAT much of an improvement, took it off of 2 of my most played ships, and hardly noticed a difference... and that's just wrong imho.  4 points is very expensive given my findings.

Since I have a captain with it and another without, I'll try alternating some more and take more notes... I might change my mind at somepoint.

If you ever played any ship that uses fires as it's main source of damage you would know exactly how useless fires are especially at higher tiers where the base fire reduction % turns your 3 captain skill "demolition expert" perk into a worthless novelty that doesn't even add one % to your fire chance, meaning with almost all 152mm and lower caliber ships having about 1 fire every 100 shell hits if you're not running the mandatory flag consumables and taking captain point attrition, you get royally screwed and end up with less than 15k damage over the whole duration of a game from fires and all of that gets repaired at the press of a repair party button once or twice. So while you are out there playing your giant unarmoured floating citadel a BB can caress you with even a part of his AP volley and do that much damage almost all of which is not repairable. This is why frankly all of the players who think fires and HE are bull testicles need to consider putting their opinions where the sun doesn't shine or at least prove that they can demolish any BB they can get at as a "HE spammer" as easily as they claim can be done to them.