You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_LoneWolf13_

Battleships

26 comments in this topic

Members
29 posts
102 battles

Hello I'm pretty new to World of Warships and have been making my way through the American tech tree. I started playing Battleships and had a question, are Battleships good for a beginner? The reload time is outrageous but I love the big guns and armour. Please give me some advice Thanks.

Z.L

[PVE]
Members
8,798 posts
7,234 battles
2 minutes ago, _LoneWolf13_ said:

Hello I'm pretty new to World of Warships and have been making my way through the American tech tree. I started playing Battleships and had a question, are Battleships good for a beginner? The reload time is outrageous but I love the big guns and armour. Please give me some advice Thanks.

Z.L

Yes, but mainly for the experience of driving different ships. With BBs you have to plan ahead more on where to go and where to point your guns so they are ready when you are. When changing from one battle area to another, you also want to plan ahead as BBs tend to be slow as well as having slow turrets and slow reload.

Check out @hangglide42 series of guide pages as well as watching youtube videos.

Welcome to the game. Good Luck and Fair Seas (GL&FS)

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
1,016 posts
8 minutes ago, _LoneWolf13_ said:

Z.L

Do yourself a favor, learn how to play cruisers and destroyers as well. Personally, I'd hold off on cvs though, until WG decides what is actually going to happen with them.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,686 posts
3,459 battles

The best ships for beginners are Cruisers. The gunnery is between that of a DD and BB, you learn the aspects of gunnery, torpedoes, angling, concealment and positioning.

They're not ships that carry games easily, but they will teach you the most. They have a low skill floor and high ceiling. Perfect for beginners.

• Cool 1

[-K_P-]
Members
79 posts
1,661 battles

Hard to say as it all depends on the person.  All classes are good for beginners (Except carriers), but you have to find out which ones click with you.  Me personally I found it was mid-tier Japanese and American Cruisers and currently the Haida & RN Destroyers have been working for me, also early on I had, and still do have, good luck with the Texas and Indianapolis. 

Still trying to figure out the Terrible, need to change my habits as I get over extended early and being the first person into an area get squashed by focused fire, since there is nothing else for the other team to shoot at.

Best thing to do is try a little of everything.

Rich C.

• Cool 1

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles
15 minutes ago, _LoneWolf13_ said:

I started playing Battleships and had a question, are Battleships good for a beginner? 

No

They are the best!

I'm pretty biased,  it if you can get over the reload, there is so much you can learn about the game from battleships

• Cool 1

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,184 posts
5,658 battles

I am a battleship main and I will say they are the easiest class to play for beginners. They have the greatest chance to forgive you for making a mistake. I am a pretty good Battleship player so I will try and pass on some wisdom.

#1 Sniping and firing from max range is for trash players.....don't be that guy. Look to partner with cruisers and destroyers and support them contesting caps. If your team does not control cap points you won't win period. Look to be around 10-12k from enemy ships at T7 and below. Tier 8 and above 12-15k away from the enemy.

#2 Prioritize targets. Your first priority should always be that enemy DD contesting the cap, if you can score some hits and help your DD win control of the cap you have done well for your team. Your second priority should be enemy cruisers, if you can bully them and keep them from engaging your destroyers it is a victory for team. You will also have the opportunity to delete cruisers with a well placed shot. Getting a ship out of the game is a huge advantage for your team. Your third priority is shooting at the lowest health ship in range. A ship that is at 10% health that can withdraw and sit behind an island unspotted and fire is just as effective as a full health ship. Get those guys out of the game so they can not have an impact later. You last priority is shooting at enemy battleships, if you have done your job right your destroyers and cruisers will sink the enemy battleships with torpedoes and HE spam. The ONLY time battleships jump to the front of the priority line is if they are giving you a perfect broadside and you can punish them accordingly.

#3 Learn when to use AP and when to use HE. HE is the easy button in WOW's and too many crappy battleship players just sling HE thinking that they are doing a good job, DON'T BE THAT GUY. Each ammo type has its uses and learning when and where to use them will make you a much better player.

#4 Situational awareness, always look at the mini map, look at how your team is deploying and act accordingly. If you find yourself on the flank of your team by yourself....mistakes were made. NEVER get caught by yourself, you will get deleted almost every time.

#5 PLAY THE OBJECTIVE!!!!!!! Don't be that guy who just sails around looking to blow stuff up. Work with your teammates, contest caps, prioritize targets, and communicate with your teammates in a helpful constructive manner. This will lead to a much higher win rate being a quality team player.

#6 Accept responsibility for your mistakes. ALL OF US so something stupid from time to time and throw away our ship. If you make a mistake try and learn from that mistake and get better. This game is easy to learn but difficult to master. You ARE going to struggle so try not to get discouraged we all went through it.

#7 Find a good clan to join. One of the best ways to learn and improve as a player is to join a clan of experienced players that are willing to team with new players and help you out. This will accelerate the learning curve by a huge margin.

That is about it, let me say welcome to world of warships. I hope you have as much fun in the game as I have over the years.

Edited by Belthorian
  • Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[TBW]
Members
6,311 posts
11,857 battles

All of the ship lines are good for beginners it's up to you what you like. I started out liking cruisers, but now I like BBs and DDs too. CVs not so much yet. By playing all ship types you learn better how to use the other types. For instance by playing a BB you learn what to do with your DD torps. By playing a DD you learn how to avoid torps and what the DDs that are trying to sink your BB might do. My point is that you might be a better player by using all ship types.

[ADAPT]
Members
803 posts
12,744 battles

Go cruiser first, less service cost and easy to learn. You need lot of credits in future ships. Bb cost more than cruiser.

Just my thought, so that you wont have problems with the economy in game.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
47 posts
767 battles

If you want to be were the action is, go DD.  Action every second, no waiting for reload, no watching torps get you because you can turn fast enough.  Yes, everyone will be yelling at you to do this, and you did not do that, and don't forget the BB players 15km back telling you to jump into a cap with 3 cruisers and 2 destroyers so you can give them something to shoot at.

(The are the ones fully armored but they want you to jump into the hornets nest while they sit in safety.)

You will be the single most important target of the enemy team but there is nothing like it. 

Members
705 posts
1 hour ago, _LoneWolf13_ said:

Z.L

Battleships are the original core unit of the game, but the game has evolved and continues to do so.

First thing a newcomer needs to know is that this is an arcade game, not an accurate simulation. The game mechanics were inherited from World of Tanks. That means fighting mostly bow-on, not broadside like traditional battleship and cruiser tactics. Beware showing too much side plate to an enemy.

I suggest you try out all the types at least at Tier 2, and study up on the game Wiki and the many WOWS-oriented YouTube channels.

Meanwhile, welcome aboard.

[SIM]
Members
2,423 posts
4,060 battles

Welcome to World of Warships! Battleships are a fine first choice for a new player. Your guns hit hard, and your big hit point pool, Repair Party consumable, and armor go a long way towards letting you survive in gun fights. As a trade, your ship is slow, you’re vulnerable to fires and torpedos, and your guns put everything into scoring damage up front and therefore take a long time to reload.

A well played battleship should rarely be alone, you need your cruisers and destroyers to keep torpedo ships away from you, and they need you to put a hurting on targets that they spot. The metaphor that I like to use is that the battleship is the planet, and friendly destroyers and cruisers are its moons. Don’t rush off by yourself, but don’t stay too far away from your moons. 

There are tons of helpful videoes out there that can give you pointers. Otherwise, just remember to have fun, and don’t get discouraged. World of Warships follows a Rock-Paper-Scissors balance system, and sometimes it can feel a bit brutal if you consistently end up facing bad match-ups in battle (as a battleship, you want to avoid getting caught out by destroyers and aircraft carriers). Good luck out there!

• Cool 1

Members
1,161 posts
501 battles
2 hours ago, Belthorian said:

I am a battleship main and I will say they are the easiest class to play for beginners. They have the greatest chance to forgive you for making a mistake. I am a pretty good Battleship player so I will try and pass on some wisdom.

#1 Sniping and firing from max range is for trash players.....don't be that guy. Look to partner with cruisers and destroyers and support them contesting caps. If your team does not control cap points you won't win period. Look to be around 10-12k from enemy ships at T7 and below. Tier 8 and above 12-15k away from the enemy.

#2 Prioritize targets. Your first priority should always be that enemy DD contesting the cap, if you can score some hits and help your DD win control of the cap you have done well for your team. Your second priority should be enemy cruisers, if you can bully them and keep them from engaging your destroyers it is a victory for team. You will also have the opportunity to delete cruisers with a well placed shot. Getting a ship out of the game is a huge advantage for your team. Your third priority is shooting at the lowest health ship in range. A ship that is at 10% health that can withdraw and sit behind an island unspotted and fire is just as effective as a full health ship. Get those guys out of the game so they can not have an impact later. You last priority is shooting at enemy battleships, if you have done your job right your destroyers and cruisers will sink the enemy battleships with torpedoes and HE spam. The ONLY time battleships jump to the front of the priority line is if they are giving you a perfect broadside and you can punish them accordingly.

#3 Learn when to use AP and when to use HE. HE is the easy button in WOW's and too many crappy battleship players just sling HE thinking that they are doing a good job, DON'T BE THAT GUY. Each ammo type has its uses and learning when and where to use them will make you a much better player.

#4 Situational awareness, always look at the mini map, look at how your team is deploying and act accordingly. If you find yourself on the flank of your team by yourself....mistakes were made. NEVER get caught by yourself, you will get deleted almost every time.

#5 PLAY THE OBJECTIVE!!!!!!! Don't be that guy who just sails around looking to blow stuff up. Work with your teammates, contest caps, prioritize targets, and communicate with your teammates in a helpful constructive manner. This will lead to a much higher win rate being a quality team player.

#6 Accept responsibility for your mistakes. ALL OF US so something stupid from time to time and throw away our ship. If you make a mistake try and learn from that mistake and get better. This game is easy to learn but difficult to master. You ARE going to struggle so try not to get discouraged we all went through it.

#7 Find a good clan to join. One of the best ways to learn and improve as a player is to join a clan of experienced players that are willing to team with new players and help you out. This will accelerate the learning curve by a huge margin.

That is about it, let me say welcome to world of warships. I hope you have as much fun in the game as I have over the years.

what he said

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,689 posts
11,061 battles

Some simple yet plain advice, 

watch utube, ichases capt academy 

how to aim

armour angling

and any other of his videos that you look at, while now they might be a bit old they hold the groundwork you will be looking for

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,103 posts
18,616 battles
2 hours ago, Belthorian said:

+1

BB have the tendency to teach bad habits.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
1,688 posts
3 hours ago, Madwolf05 said:

The best ships for beginners are Cruisers. The gunnery is between that of a DD and BB, you learn the aspects of gunnery, torpedoes, angling, concealment and positioning.

They're not ships that carry games easily, but they will teach you the most. They have a low skill floor and high ceiling. Perfect for beginners.

This. 

Play cruisers first, follow behind with the other two (BB and DD) as you work up the tiers.  You'll learn the actual game, and not a type-centric warped view. 

[DRG_N]
Members
407 posts
582 battles
4 hours ago, _LoneWolf13_ said:

Z.L

If you like battleships, you're on the wrong forum. You'll quickly find that not only are you not welcome here, but the community as a whole actively wants you to leave the game entirely. If you decide to stick it out be prepared for constant griefing, mockery, and insult by everyone from "respected" forum posters and community contributors to youtube personalities and the devs themselves.  Mechanics have been put in place and entire premium ships put in the game for the sole purpose of making battleships less fun to play and to punish those that continue to do so.

No matter how good you are or become, if you are playing a battleship you will always be seen as a problem by most players and 90% of the community representation both on the forums and on youtube. If you're looking to enjoy playing battleships, you're sadly in the wrong place. I recommend finding a different game to play before you spend much money.

Edited by Highlord

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,888 posts
3,268 battles
3 hours ago, _LoneWolf13_ said:

Z.L

A lot of players love the big guns and armor, which is why it is a very popular ship type. As for whether they are good for beginners or not, I'm not 100% certain on that, I'm a DD main. Jumped to Destroyer as soon as I could, "to heck with the good advice given by other players," was pretty much what I did.

I like many other players, recommend playing Cruiser and Destroyer right now. I would recommend Carrier, but they are in a bad spot, and one should hold off until the rework before trying it.

The reasons you should play the other ship types: You can get a feel for how they handle, what they're capable of, their weaknesses and strengths. By playing them, you get a better understanding of what they need to do, and how to counter them.

Oh, and if you ever see me in battle, on the opposing team, you should know that it is against the law to dodge my torpedoes.:Smile_trollface:

5 minutes ago, Highlord said:

If you like battleships, you're on the wrong forum. You'll quickly that not only are you not welcome here, but the community as a whole actively wants you to leave the game entirely.

Only those who whine about other ships being able to damage them.

[DRG_N]
Members
407 posts
582 battles
Just now, Counter_Gambit said:

Only those who whine about other ships being able to damage them.

So, 90% of the active forum population.

• Funny 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,768 posts
12,872 battles
On 10/29/2018 at 2:18 PM, _LoneWolf13_ said:

Z.L

Beginner BBs are there for....wait for it......BEGINNERS!  T3 BBs....go for it.  Enjoy.  Have fun.  T4...go for it...more beginner BBs.  Things don't start to get serious until T5.  I consider T5 the transition tier.  Sort of the point where you graduate from beginner to something a little bit more serious.  You will enter the tier as a beginner coming from T4, and by the time you finish...before you get to T6...you should be a bit more seasoned.  The reason is you will sometimes see T7...and you will sometimes see T4.  Having come from T4, you will probably do well against T4.  But T7s...the first time out....those are tough cookies for a newbie.  Not to mention, veteran players in T5 BBs can wreck you.  But that's all part of the learning steps from beginnner to seasoned.

T6 is where things really get serious.  If you've learned a lot in the beginning tiers (T3/T4), and seasoned yourself well in T5, then by the time you clear T6, you will probably be a veteran BB captain.

So...yeah.... BBs are great for beginners.  Especially T3 and T4.   Of course, don't neglect the other types (CA DD).  It's not just knowing how to captain the CA and DD in the tiers....but knowing how to captain a CA and DD pays big dividends when captaining a BB.  It's always good to know what that CA or DD closing on you is capable of doing to you in your BB....and it's often best to know that from experience gained while captaining those ships.  You can also learn it when the DD drives right up to you and unloads a wall of torps.  But it's a lot more fun when you are the DD captain unloading on a BB vice captaining the BB catching them.

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[WOLFB]
Members
2,576 posts
4,948 battles

As long as you have fun that’s all that matters. I would start with a DD CA and a BB and see what you enjoy more. Also if you have time go to the wiki page and read about each ship line. It will help set you up for success with fiveing you an idea of what works and doesn’t. 

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
903 posts
6,274 battles

I like the battleships, but development staff seems to be on a mission to nerf them into irrelevance. Play a cruiser, you'll be happier. 

[WOSV]
Members
324 posts
2,063 battles

Lots of good advice for you here, @_LoneWolf13_.

BB have a very powerful allure about them with newer players. (methinks it has to do with Big Gun = Big Boom). If you're not sure where you want to go in regards to a ship line, take a look through the tech trees and start looking at some higher tier ships (like Tier VIII and up is a good start) and find something that catches your eye. Once you find something, start looking it up either here on the forums or YouTube, and see if it sounds fun to you. If it does, start grinding. I cannot overstate how important it is to actually have an achievable goal for this game when it comes to grinding a line. Without it, you'll just feel like you're spinning your tires and get sick of it.

But as for the main question, are BB good for rookies? Sort of. Armor and heal makes them more forgiving and allows some second chances, unlike Cruisers and Destroyers. Playing pure BB starting out can lead to some poor practices in higher tiers, however. The main one is staying at full throttle 100% of the time. Playing USN Cruisers will teach you pretty good speed management and the importance of positioning and island cover (which really helps with some of the squishier USN ships down the line, and their really long gun arcs). Learning how to properly apply the "S" key in conjunction with the others is tricky starting out since low tier BB are so slow, but is invaluable later on. My advice would be work through the American Cruiser and Battleships simultaneously. Also don't be afraid to take Destroyers for a whirl if you feel like it.

I know it was kidna rambly, but I at least hope it helps.