Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

100 Years - Coming up on the Centenary of the Armistice.

7 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,723
[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,974 battles

I think it's important to recognise that the First World War did not just stumble to a politically negotiated close.

It ended because the German Army had been broken in the field and could no longer support its allies or defend its own positions. 8 August 1918 was the beginning of the end, and from that point the progress on the Western Front was inexorably eastward with no stops: the Hundred Days campaign.

While we should all hope that we never have to go through this :etc_swear: again, it's worth noting that the desire of some people to bend over backward to avoid it led eventually to something even worse. Some things are worth fighting over sooner rather than later. The problem is judging correctly what those things are, without the benefit of hindsight. It is all very well to speak softly and carry a big stick, but if you carry it you have to be seen to be willing to use it. Otherwise all your soft speaking will do no good at all. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
413
[VW]
Members
1,833 posts
12,289 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I think it's important to recognise that the First World War did not just stumble to a politically negotiated close.

It ended because the German Army had been broken in the field and could no longer support its allies or defend its own positions. 8 August 1918 was the beginning of the end, and from that point the progress on the Western Front was inexorably eastward with no stops: the Hundred Days campaign.

While we should all hope that we never have to go through this :etc_swear: again, it's worth noting that the desire of some people to bend over backward to avoid it led eventually to something even worse. Some things are worth fighting over sooner rather than later. The problem is judging correctly what those things are, without the benefit of hindsight. It is all very well to speak softly and carry a big stick, but if you carry it you have to be seen to be willing to use it. Otherwise all your soft speaking will do no good at all. 

I think the blockade broke the german war effort. Its army was never broken, merely the populace starved and thus unable to support it.

Edited by monpetitloup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,723
[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,974 battles
10 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

I think the blockade broke the german war effort. Its army was never broken, merely the populace starved and thus unable to support it.

We will have to agree to disagree on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
62
[RN]
Beta Testers
254 posts
4,382 battles

Though war is extremely costly and a lousy way method of diplomacy, I think it’s safe to say that without the two world wars, this game would not exist in its current state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,723
[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,974 battles
12 hours ago, Yank59 said:

Though war is extremely costly and a lousy way method of diplomacy, I think it’s safe to say that without the two world wars, this game would not exist in its current state.

It would take a very different form, with very different ships. But I suspect the general path of ship evolution would have been very similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×