You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'lyeh: On the Cost of Permacamo, and Lower Tier Premium Ships.

4 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
6,442 posts
4,302 battles

Last I looked, your average permanent camo on ships from tiers 6 to 8, and most of the premium ships as-issued, gives:

3% reduction to surface detectability range

4% increase to the enemy's dispersion when firing on you

10% reduction to service costs (rising for Tier IX and X ships IIRC).

50% boost to ship XP earnings.

This is equivalent to sailing a tech-tree ship with:

Equal Speed Charlie London for the XP benefit, 16 doubloons. Yes, I know, they're shoving them out the door at a furious rate in the resource containers, but this IS their doubloon value in game, and some people DO like to spam other containers for other reasons.

India Bravo Terrathree for the cost reduction benefit, 4 doubloons.

Type 5 camo at 22,500 credits per application if you run out. At 1500 credits per doubloon, this is the equivalent of 15 doubloons.

So when we put that all together, it's an equivalent cost (if you were to convert for credits) of 35 doubloons or approximately 29 games for a Tier 6 permacamo, 58 games for a Tier 7, or 86 games for Tier 8.

(Type 6 camo gives a 100% XP bonus but costs FIFTY doubloons per application if you run out of them.)

If you want to keep doubloons and credits separate, then that's 20 doubloons value per game or fifty games for a Tier 6 ship, over which time the equivalent value for Type 5 camo is one million, one hundred and twenty five thousand credits. Scale as necessary. And the permacamo gives you an effectively infinite supply.

Aha, you say, but why bother with the permacamo when in some cases a good player can grind the ship out in fewer games than that? Well, it all depends on your views on ground-out ships. I kept a lot of mine because they were fun to play, and the XP they earn is still good for in-game tasks, for earning the next daily container, and for adding to their captain XP over time (every little bit counts). And some of them are very useful to run in some operations. Indeed, I have ground out my Edinburgh, Fiji and Leander twice over, once to get the next ship and once more in XP earned since then. 

Consider also the lower-tier premiums, particularly ships like T2 Tachibana Lima , T2 Smith, T4 Yubari and T5 Marblehead Lima, which are currently on sale for dirt cheap. You cannot normally get permanent camo for ships at these tiers, the credits for Type 5 would chew through the earnings, and if you are the sort who enjoys low-tier play (and especially low-tier co-op play), the benefits over time are not to be sneezed at.

As always, take my advice in the context of your own gameplay patterns, needs and preferences.

• Cool 3

Members
303 posts
4,537 battles

Indeed, the presence of a permanent camo has definitely affected my stance on keeping elited ships.  I got the Snowy perma-camo for New Mexico, QE, Gaede and LaGal during New Year's Raid missions, and though all a tier or two behind where I am grinding in the lines, I did keep them all.  Similarly the Normandie liner camo is one reason why I kept her and not Bretagne nor Lyon (all three of which came from French Mission crates) when it was time to buy Richelieu.  I enjoy playing my Tier VI ships.

Now I did not end up keeping Pensacola VI (purchased the Tier VI Cleveland camo before the USN cruiser split so it got me the Cleveland VIII as well as the Pensacola VI camos) nor the New Orleans (got the 2nd Anniversary Congratulatory camo) because I really did not like playing either of those ships.  And I am on the fence about Fiji and Algerie (bought those permanent camos when WG had a sale earlier in the year) because neither of those ships really clicked with me.  But they stay in port for now because their permanent camos will give me low running costs/boosted XP earnings if I do take them out.  I will probably need their captains to move up to Edinburgh/Charles Martel when I purchase the Tier VIIIs though...

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
513 posts
1,044 battles

I don't know if you've played any WoT, but I started recently and found a nifty feature they have over there...once a standard tech tree tank reaches Elite status, because all modules and successive tanks have been researched like it is here, then you can check a little box to stop the tank from earning more XP for itself and instead convert that earned XP to crew XP to train them up faster.  Wouldn't that be great to have here, too?  I am somewhat of a collector myself, where I've generally kept my T5 and up ships instead of selling them off, but the captains on those have been left with somewhere under 10 skill points.  Instead of having to wait until I get my first 19 point captain and then use that to generate Elite commander XP, it would be nice to go back and play some of those earlier tier ships and be able to grind up the captain for each of those a bit faster.  It would probably make me more inclined to purchase perma camos for my favorite T6+ ships if I knew that I had the potential of converting the ship XP directly into additional XP for the captain without having to then buy doubloons to accomplish the same thing under the current system.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,063 posts
8 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Last I looked, your average permanent camo on ships from tiers 6 to 8, and most of the premium ships as-issued, gives:

3% reduction to surface detectability range

4% increase to the enemy's dispersion when firing on you

10% reduction to service costs (rising for Tier IX and X ships IIRC).

50% boost to ship XP earnings.

This is equivalent to sailing a tech-tree ship with:

Equal Speed Charlie London for the XP benefit, 16 doubloons. Yes, I know, they're shoving them out the door at a furious rate in the resource containers, but this IS their doubloon value in game, and some people DO like to spam other containers for other reasons.

India Bravo Terrathree for the cost reduction benefit, 4 doubloons.

Type 5 camo at 22,500 credits per application if you run out. At 1500 credits per doubloon, this is the equivalent of 15 doubloons.

So when we put that all together, it's an equivalent cost (if you were to convert for credits) of 35 doubloons or approximately 29 games for a Tier 6 permacamo, 58 games for a Tier 7, or 86 games for Tier 8.

(Type 6 camo gives a 100% XP bonus but costs FIFTY doubloons per application if you run out of them.)

If you want to keep doubloons and credits separate, then that's 20 doubloons value per game or fifty games for a Tier 6 ship, over which time the equivalent value for Type 5 camo is one million, one hundred and twenty five thousand credits. Scale as necessary. And the permacamo gives you an effectively infinite supply.

Aha, you say, but why bother with the permacamo when in some cases a good player can grind the ship out in fewer games than that? Well, it all depends on your views on ground-out ships. I kept a lot of mine because they were fun to play, and the XP they earn is still good for in-game tasks, for earning the next daily container, and for adding to their captain XP over time (every little bit counts). And some of them are very useful to run in some operations. Indeed, I have ground out my Edinburgh, Fiji and Leander twice over, once to get the next ship and once more in XP earned since then. 

Consider also the lower-tier premiums, particularly ships like T2 Tachibana Lima , T2 Smith, T4 Yubari and T5 Marblehead Lima, which are currently on sale for dirt cheap. You cannot normally get permanent camo for ships at these tiers, the credits for Type 5 would chew through the earnings, and if you are the sort who enjoys low-tier play (and especially low-tier co-op play), the benefits over time are not to be sneezed at.

As always, take my advice in the context of your own gameplay patterns, needs and preferences.

:Smile_great::Smile_honoring::Smile_coin::Smile_medal:

1 hour ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

Indeed, the presence of a permanent camo has definitely affected my stance on keeping elited ships.  I got the Snowy perma-camo for New Mexico, QE, Gaede and LaGal during New Year's Raid missions, and though all a tier or two behind where I am grinding in the lines, I did keep them all.  Similarly the Normandie liner camo is one reason why I kept her and not Bretagne nor Lyon (all three of which came from French Mission crates) when it was time to buy Richelieu.  I enjoy playing my Tier VI ships.

Now I did not end up keeping Pensacola VI (purchased the Tier VI Cleveland camo before the USN cruiser split so it got me the Cleveland VIII as well as the Pensacola VI camos) nor the New Orleans (got the 2nd Anniversary Congratulatory camo) because I really did not like playing either of those ships.  And I am on the fence about Fiji and Algerie (bought those permanent camos when WG had a sale earlier in the year) because neither of those ships really clicked with me.  But they stay in port for now because their permanent camos will give me low running costs/boosted XP earnings if I do take them out.  I will probably need their captains to move up to Edinburgh/Charles Martel when I purchase the Tier VIIIs though...

:Smile_great::Smile_honoring::Smile_coin::Smile_medal:

1 hour ago, Bonfor said:

I don't know if you've played any WoT, but I started recently and found a nifty feature they have over there...once a standard tech tree tank reaches Elite status, because all modules and successive tanks have been researched like it is here, then you can check a little box to stop the tank from earning more XP for itself and instead convert that earned XP to crew XP to train them up faster.  Wouldn't that be great to have here, too?  I am somewhat of a collector myself, where I've generally kept my T5 and up ships instead of selling them off, but the captains on those have been left with somewhere under 10 skill points.  Instead of having to wait until I get my first 19 point captain and then use that to generate Elite commander XP, it would be nice to go back and play some of those earlier tier ships and be able to grind up the captain for each of those a bit faster.  It would probably make me more inclined to purchase perma camos for my favorite T6+ ships if I knew that I had the potential of converting the ship XP directly into additional XP for the captain without having to then buy doubloons to accomplish the same thing under the current system.

:Smile_great::Smile_honoring::Smile_coin::Smile_medal:The thinking from the people who make decisions in World of Warships  and Some of the Payer Base  if you want  Perma Premium  Camo on a ship below tier 5 Buy and  Play  a Premium Ship otherwise you are :etc_swear:  out of luck:Smile_amazed::Smile_sad:  Why?...........................................................................................................................................................................................................