You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

PSA, RN Event: Matching the Ship to the Prize.

5 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
5,845 posts
3,984 battles

I had the oddest lucky failure over the weekend. The mission was to get 15 citadel hits or incapacitations, and I think I clocked most of those up in a Halloween battle (Syvatozar vs. Scarab with the reload booster works well for this), but I only had a couple left at the end to tidy up. Hey, I thought; let's hop into the Helena and see if we can find a Tier V or VI German or British light cruiser to hose down with AP in co-op. Can't be too difficult, right?

Let's just say that battle did NOT go well for me, and I got blown to hell with just one incapacitation done and one left to earn.

Holy hell, was I lucky I failed!

I took the Fushun into co-op next, thinking okay, probably not good for citadels unless I get the enemy T5/6 carrier or a light cruiser broadside at close range, but incapacitations against other destroyers are definitely the Fushun's thing, so why not? Got it done and then some, and the result screen showed that I had over FIVE THOUSAND ship XP. In co-op. At tier six. With no flags.

What the feeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkkkkk?

Click through to the credits screen and yep, that mission carried a five thousand XP bonus for the particular ship you completed it in. And so I am five thousand XP closer to the Gadjah Mada without really trying, about ten really good co-op games or two, maybe three, good Random games for me.  That ship XP would have been wasted on the Helena, as I already have her B Hull and guns and the ship above her.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Know your prizes. When you're close to the end of a task, it pays to know what you stand to win, and select a (task-appropriate!) ship that stands to benefit. We all want those juicy containers and guineas, but sometimes - just sometimes - there are other reasons to choose a specific ship to finish something off. Do your research and benefit muchly! 

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Members
3,321 posts
11,873 battles

That's good advice. I follow it religiously...

[PVE]
Members
8,921 posts
7,305 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I had the oddest lucky failure over the weekend. The mission was to get 15 citadel hits or incapacitations, and I think I clocked most of those up in a Halloween battle (Syvatozar vs. Scarab with the reload booster works well for this), but I only had a couple left at the end to tidy up. Hey, I thought; let's hop into the Helena and see if we can find a Tier V or VI German or British light cruiser to hose down with AP in co-op. Can't be too difficult, right?

Let's just say that battle did NOT go well for me, and I got blown to hell with just one incapacitation done and one left to earn.

Holy hell, was I lucky I failed!

I took the Fushun into co-op next, thinking okay, probably not good for citadels unless I get the enemy T5/6 carrier or a light cruiser broadside at close range, but incapacitations against other destroyers are definitely the Fushun's thing, so why not? Got it done and then some, and the result screen showed that I had over FIVE THOUSAND ship XP. In co-op. At tier six. With no flags.

What the feeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkkkkk?

Click through to the credits screen and yep, that mission carried a five thousand XP bonus for the particular ship you completed it in. And so I am five thousand XP closer to the Gadjah Mada without really trying, about ten really good co-op games or two, maybe three, good Random games for me.  That ship XP would have been wasted on the Helena, as I already have her B Hull and guns and the ship above her.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Know your prizes. When you're close to the end of a task, it pays to know what you stand to win, and select a (task-appropriate!) ship that stands to benefit. We all want those juicy containers and guineas, but sometimes - just sometimes - there are other reasons to choose a specific ship to finish something off. Do your research and benefit muchly! 

Last Stage that 5k XP bonus helped me finish off the final 10k of the mission for the Nueve de Julio so that I could get the Boise. When I saw the reward and that I needed 5 more cits to complete it, I went into co-op and charged a few cruisers to get broadside, one salvo and got 6 cits and sank the bot all at once to finish the mission. I'm not too far from the Seattle, so I will probably use Cleveland to do that mission and get the big XP jump towards Seattle.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,258 posts
24,831 battles

Also, for those types of big XP rewards, its a good idea to load up on Free XP signals and camo for the battle that you think you will get the reward.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,845 posts
3,984 battles
2 minutes ago, Patton5150 said:

Also, for those types of big XP rewards, its a good idea to load up on Free XP signals and camo for the battle that you think you will get the reward.

That's a good point. It was pretty much inevitable at that point, and something I should have considered.