Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cruxdei

USS Saipan, korean loadout?

10 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
2,854 posts
4,088 battles

i don't know where i saw it,but some people say that saipan carry her korean loadout aka,her loadout is made of planes that fought in the korean war.

i looked her story  on wikipedia(don't know many sites for more in depth story) and she was comissioned after ww2,but she somehow was one of the first carriers to get jet squadrons too.

so it's an post ww2 ship with korean war loadout at tier7.

can someone tell me if those "rumours" are true?

rare colored video of pilots taking off from saipan at a tier7 match.

Edited by Cruxdei
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[WOLFB]
Members
2,599 posts
4,981 battles

Sorry once I saw the BF 3 cutscenes I thought it was a joke.  The planes used on the ship were built for WW2 but not used until the Korean War.

[SCTFB]
[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
3,929 posts
14,841 battles

they kind of balance it by making the squadrons smaller 

Beta Testers
2,854 posts
4,088 battles
7 minutes ago, Lonewolfpj said:

Sorry once I saw the BF 3 cutscenes I thought it was a joke.  The planes used on the ship were built for WW2 but not used until the Korean War.

so they are not exactly korean "loadout". 

saipan is an anomaly, her timeline is too modern for tier7,her loadout is too  modern for tier7,but the balance is the small squadron that can still stomp most CVs.

Members
95 posts
6,392 battles

The info is correct on the USS saipan , CVLs or light carriers were named after battles, the battle for saipan took place jun-july 1944. The aircraft are mid WW2  in the case of the corsair and late in case of AD skyraider. Why WGing chose her i cant say, why tier 7 probably because she is a light carrier, the planes probably her premium gimmick.

Beta Testers
2,854 posts
4,088 battles
22 minutes ago, Lonewolfpj said:

Sorry once I saw the BF 3 cutscenes I thought it was a joke.  

oh and the BF3 video makes some sense since her planes are too fast for tier7 and 8 matchmaking.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,314 posts
9,410 battles
2 minutes ago, bohica_2017 said:

The info is correct on the USS saipan , CVLs or light carriers were named after battles, the battle for saipan took place jun-july 1944. The aircraft are mid WW2  in the case of the corsair and late in case of AD skyraider. Why WGing chose her i cant say, why tier 7 probably because she is a light carrier, the planes probably her premium gimmick.

Pretty much, and she was in the closed beta as a tech tree carrier, so they got to reuse existing assets to make the premium.

[TOG]
Members
2,395 posts
14,655 battles

It's a CVL. Based on the Baltimore class hull. Initial IRL Complement 18 F6F Hellcat,  12 Curtiss SBC Helldiver 12 TBM TBD's.  So they balance it by making it a smaller aircraft complement, use the AH-1D Skyraider (why I have no idea)  and making it T7. Could day had placed jets? Yeah they could had. I've hear rumors they tried it out on the Midway in open beta. They decided not to go through because it was too OP. Will they allow first generation jets in Saipan? Unlikely.

Edited by Bill_Halsey

Beta Testers
2,854 posts
4,088 battles
8 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

It's a CVL. Based on the Baltimore class hull. Initial IRL Complement 18 F6F Hellcat,  12 Curtiss SBC Helldiver 12 TBM TBD's.  So they balance it by making it a smaller aircraft complement, use the AH-1D Skyraider (why I have no idea)  and making it T7. Could day had placed jets? Yeah they could had. I've hear rumors they tried it out on the Midway in open beta. They decided not to go through because it was too OP. Will they allow first generation jets in Saipan? Unlikely.

i didn't play much the open beta but people said the midway jets were OP because their in game speed made the real life planes looks like snails.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,314 posts
9,410 battles
2 hours ago, Cruxdei said:

i didn't play much the open beta but people said the midway jets were OP because their in game speed made the real life planes looks like snails.

Midway was actually on the live server with the jets early on. That was one of the early CV changes, along with getting the biplanes off the tier 5 and 6 carriers.

Sign in to follow this