Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Target_1

Fighting against Japanese CVs is hard as hell

6 comments in this topic

Members
18 posts
1,923 battles

I use a tier VI American carrier Independence.  I often have to fight a tier VI Japanese carrier Ryujo... and it's hard as hell.  I'm at such an extreme disadvantage.  The Ryujo can have 3 squadrons of 4 fighters each up at one time... 12 planes.  I can only put up 1 squadron of 6 planes.  They've got me 2 to 1 on fighters right from the get go.  If they have any sense at all, they keep their fighters together and hit mine as a group... That's a "no win" situation for me.  I'm forced to play as sneaky as possible as there's no way I can face them head on.  Makes me want to ditch the American carriers and just play Japanese.

Members
449 posts
12,223 battles

national differences have been a constant headache to balancing since day one. Just part of the reason many people cannot stand CVs in the game

Members
216 posts
2,032 battles

I have 4 solutions

1. Set up a training room so you can practice against a Ryujo. 

2. Try kiting his fighters over friendly ships preferably with good AA, and then turn back and engage(don't try strafing with this unless you have a bit of distance)

3. I know this can be hard for you since strafe doesn't exist in t4 and 5 but learn to strafe. 

4. Stop playing CVs for now. They're getting changed drastically in the future and if you're not good at CVs now, don't try getting good with them. It will be a waste of times.

Beta Testers
1,287 posts
6,455 battles
32 minutes ago, Target_1 said:

I use a tier VI American carrier Independence.  I often have to fight a tier VI Japanese carrier Ryujo... and it's hard as hell.  I'm at such an extreme disadvantage.  The Ryujo can have 3 squadrons of 4 fighters each up at one time... 12 planes.  I can only put up 1 squadron of 6 planes.  They've got me 2 to 1 on fighters right from the get go.  If they have any sense at all, they keep their fighters together and hit mine as a group... That's a "no win" situation for me.  I'm forced to play as sneaky as possible as there's no way I can face them head on.  Makes me want to ditch the American carriers and just play Japanese.

Well, as I'm sure others have mentioned in other threads, a massive overhaul to CVs is coming and the current system will be a thing of the past.

On the other hand, the proper way to deal with the Ryujo's fighter is to use the "strafe" otherwise known as the ALT-attack.  By selecting your fighters and holding ALT you can launch an AOE air attack that will decimate any fighters in it's path.  If the Ryujo groups up all 3 fighters, that's actually a huge blunder.  If you strafe them when they're grouped those 3 groups of fighters will die just as easily as a single group!

You should be more worried about Ryujo's that run 2/2/1 instead, as they're more likely to be experienced CV players.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,648 posts
14,025 battles

It's easy to evade the strafing attempts of a Single Fighter CV, especially when you got multiple Fighter units to swarm around.  At least with 2 units you can bait and strafe or other forms of air-to-air trickery.  But with 1 fighter unit, you are easy to predict and read, and act against.  Independence, Ranger, Lexington get slaughtered.

FYI, OP, in the current version of the game, Tier VI-IX USN CVs are the single worst concentration ships to grind through.  You will find no other ship line in the game that has so many awful ships concentrated in a single line.  Not only that, all these awful ships follow each other in tier sequence.  Back-to-back-to-back-to-back of awful ships.  However, the prize at the end is Midway.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sign in to follow this