Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grflrgl

USN BB damage - What on earth am I doing wrong?

8 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
149 posts
5,281 battles

HELP!

A while back, I decided to try the USN BB line. I went through most of it without a problem. In fact, The New Mexico will always have a place in my port. But when I hit the North Carolina, I started having serious problems. Those problems are continuing with the Iowa. I'm not even sure I want to try the Montana anymore.

I can't seem to do damage. I had a broadside Amagi sailing right in front of me yesterday. I had three shots. I got only one hit that did any damage, and that only 1380 points. Just now I had another fight in the Iowa. I was reversing against Alsace, Yamato and Musashi, all charging hard. (I had allies on the flanks). But in all of those shots, I had only 1 that generated more than 4k damage. Same with a battle against a Missouri - one hit for 4k and everything else under 2k - both aimed at his bow and at his broadside. Everything else either bounced or over penetrated. I'm having an amazing number of over pens. I even switched to HE to try and do SOME damage. Every shot the Alsace took did 4k damage, and we were bow-to-bow most of the fight. But he got 4x the damage I did.

The dispersion has been a problem too, but I think I have that worked out. My hit percentages are back up a bit.

I do a ton more damage per shot with every other BB I play. Heck, I played a Baltimore last night and got more damage in one game then I have with the Iowa in the last three. Is there something about the USN BBs that I'm missing? 

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
750 posts
6,832 battles

Hard to say without a replay, but if you're facing other BB's frontally, try either using HE or aim your AP at the superstructure or turret barbettes...

[HINON]
Supertester
18,904 posts
12,441 battles

I think it has more to do with the ships you are facing than the one you are driving. North Carolina gets Mk 8 superheavy shells, which have a lot of penetration and a slow fuse. If you hit an enemy ship just wrong, the shell will just sail through and through for an overpenetration. You need to hit more substantial parts of the ship. When you mention a broadside Amagi, where are you aiming your shells?

[WOLF9]
Members
3,136 posts
45 minutes ago, Grflrgl said:

HELP!

A while back, I decided to try the USN BB line. I went through most of it without a problem. In fact, The New Mexico will always have a place in my port. But when I hit the North Carolina, I started having serious problems. Those problems are continuing with the Iowa. I'm not even sure I want to try the Montana anymore.

I can't seem to do damage. I had a broadside Amagi sailing right in front of me yesterday. I had three shots. I got only one hit that did any damage, and that only 1380 points. Just now I had another fight in the Iowa. I was reversing against Alsace, Yamato and Musashi, all charging hard. (I had allies on the flanks). But in all of those shots, I had only 1 that generated more than 4k damage. Same with a battle against a Missouri - one hit for 4k and everything else under 2k - both aimed at his bow and at his broadside. Everything else either bounced or over penetrated. I'm having an amazing number of over pens. I even switched to HE to try and do SOME damage. Every shot the Alsace took did 4k damage, and we were bow-to-bow most of the fight. But he got 4x the damage I did.

The dispersion has been a problem too, but I think I have that worked out. My hit percentages are back up a bit.

I do a ton more damage per shot with every other BB I play. Heck, I played a Baltimore last night and got more damage in one game then I have with the Iowa in the last three. Is there something about the USN BBs that I'm missing? 

You need to sacrifice at LEAST one small child a week to RNGESUS.  (6 or more sjw's will work, too if you run out of kids)

Have you been keeping up with that?

[MOH]
Members
190 posts
1,133 battles
2 hours ago, Grflrgl said:

HELP!

How far away are you engaging these ships?  If you're trying to lob American shells at 20km+, then they're probably going to bounce or just do overpen damage.  The Iowa and Montana are geared towards maximum broadside in a high accuracy, high shell damage, low penetration type of equation. 

As a whole, basically what you're seeing is the shift in the American battleship main battery performance from dreadnoughts to fast battleships.  American dreadnoughts are usually top for their tier, or at least second best when it comes to penetration.  American fast battleships (T8, T9, and T10) trade penetration performance for improved accuracy.  The Montana is substantially more lethal than the Iowa, but even I don't bother shooting much of anything unless it's in the mid range.  It took me a while, but I learned that all I'm doing attempting to fire at targets 18-20km+ is letting the enemy team with better gunnery know where I'm at.

• Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,370 posts
7,948 battles

When the target is broadside, especially Yamato/Musashi - aim around turret 2 - hits in that area can citadel them. You want to aim more mid/low on enemy ships that are broadside. Vs bow on ships - AP at the turrets area, barbette hits will not only hurt but possibly destroy the gun. Otherwise - switch to HE - it does damage to anthing not the gun it hits, sets fires, and wrecks modules, like torp tubes some ships have. 

[WOLFB]
Members
149 posts
5,281 battles
19 hours ago, Ranari said:

How far away are you engaging these ships?  If you're trying to lob American shells at 20km+, then they're probably going to bounce or just do overpen damage.  The Iowa and Montana are geared towards maximum broadside in a high accuracy, high shell damage, low penetration type of equation. 

As a whole, basically what you're seeing is the shift in the American battleship main battery performance from dreadnoughts to fast battleships.  American dreadnoughts are usually top for their tier, or at least second best when it comes to penetration.  American fast battleships (T8, T9, and T10) trade penetration performance for improved accuracy.  The Montana is substantially more lethal than the Iowa, but even I don't bother shooting much of anything unless it's in the mid range.  It took me a while, but I learned that all I'm doing attempting to fire at targets 18-20km+ is letting the enemy team with better gunnery know where I'm at.

This is at least part of it. I was engaging at 20km+ at times. I've adjusted according to your comment above, and it has helped. I've had one good game since with 135k damage.

I can't get a win, but at least the damage is up. The Iowa may be the unluckiest ship I have relative to wins.

But thanks very much for the range suggestion. It's helped.

[MOH]
Members
190 posts
1,133 battles
18 minutes ago, Grflrgl said:

This is at least part of it. I was engaging at 20km+ at times. I've adjusted according to your comment above, and it has helped. I've had one good game since with 135k damage.

I can't get a win, but at least the damage is up. The Iowa may be the unluckiest ship I have relative to wins.

But thanks very much for the range suggestion. It's helped.

Once you start improving your damage, you'll start contributing to more team wins.  The Iowa is not the easiest ship to play, but the key is to utilize its stealth and speed, and maximize its high accuracy and shell damage on the most opportune targets within the mid range (12-18km).  Just don't try and get into an artillery duel at long range.  It's not that you can't punish ships out to your max range, but the gun's lack of penetration (relative to its tier) isn't ideal for it and you'll bounce and shatter a lot of rounds.  This is pretty much true for all US fast-battleships, so what you learn with the Iowa applies to the North Carolina, Alabama, Massachusetts, and Montana as well. 

Once you get to the Montana, you'll be gifted with a ship that is much, much more lethal, and a lot more forgiving to play due to its significantly thicker armor.  It's really a dream to play.

Sign in to follow this