Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cruxdei

Things that would "never" happen are happening..what's next?

83 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Beta Testers
2,833 posts
4,035 battles

we are getting rockets(CV rework),we are getting subs. things that no one thought it would be implemented are happening..

what's left? kamikazes?the CVs currently in the rework have unlimited planes. it was a desperate tactic and some people might not agree with it. but what do YOU  think?what's left of ww2 and early cold war(looking at you soviet line) that WG could  implement?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,722
[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,974 battles

You can't quote rockets as something they said wouldn't happen. What they promised was no guided missiles. WW2-era rocket projectiles are a very different thing.

As for submarines, the next week will tell whether we ever get those as a "thing" outside this Halloween op.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
2,833 posts
4,035 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You can't quote rockets as something they said wouldn't happen. What they promised was no guided missiles. WW2-era rocket projectiles are a very different thing.

As for submarines, the next week will tell whether we ever get those as a "thing" outside this Halloween op.

rockets were used pretty late at war,almost a korea war thing. (I KNOW  about hood,i forgot her).

i'm sure didn't expect rockets,i gotta admit i might have jumped the gun .

Edited by Cruxdei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
270
[HCH]
Beta Testers
858 posts
7,179 battles

Manual Secondary control ( aiming them like primary battery guns)

Planes laying smoke screens.

Early guided munitions, such as the German homing torpedoes, the Fritz, etc...

"Closing the barn doors" for ships with two rudders. (Look up the phrase for Iowa, technique used during speed trials. Slowed her down like no tomorrow, but damaged the steering gears)

B-65, and the Dutch bootleg scharnhorst.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
270
[HCH]
Beta Testers
858 posts
7,179 battles
Just now, Cruxdei said:

rockets were used pretty late at war,almost a korea war thing. 

i'm sure didn't expect rockets,i gotta admit i might have jumped the gun .

HVARs and Tiny Tims just to name the USN's use of rockets in WW2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
705 posts

Minelaying? (mine fields are already in some operations)

Rigid airships? (Zeppelins, US ZRS-types)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
2,833 posts
4,035 battles
3 minutes ago, sulghunter331 said:

HVARs and Tiny Tims just to name the USN's use of rockets in WW2.

i think hood used rockets too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
705 posts
Just now, Cruxdei said:

i think hood used rockets too. 

Those were UP (Unguided Projectile) batteries that were supposed to string catch wires to snag low-flying planes. Dismal failure.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
2,833 posts
4,035 battles
Just now, So_lt_Goes said:

Those were UP (Unguided Projectile) batteries that were supposed to string catch wires to snag low-flying planes. Dismal failure.

jesus,what a ugly way to describe  prototypes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,722
[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,974 battles
6 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

rockets were used pretty late at war,almost a korea war thing. 

i'm sure didn't expect rockets,i gotta admit i might have jumped the gun .

Unguided rockets were used by the British as early as mid 1943 against submarines, and also against tanks. The Soviets had already been using them as early as 1941.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
474
[KNTAI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,106 posts
21 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

what's left? kamikazes?

I doubt this will ever happen.

WG said no subs because of gameplay implementation issues. So it makes sense that they solve this issue, then that answer changes. WG is hardly the only developer that does this either. Many devs have backkpedal'd on "never" when they find a way to solve gameplay issues.

Portraying kamikazes is much more of an ethical concern. Gameplay would be easy enough, but most would object to it on principle. So I don't think that will ever happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
474
[KNTAI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,106 posts
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Unguided rockets were used by the British as early as mid 1943 against submarines, and also against tanks. The Soviets had already been using them as early as 1941.

Unguided rockets were used in navies in the 1700s. They weren't new weapons, even in WW2...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
705 posts
7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Unguided rockets were used by the British as early as mid 1943 against submarines, and also against tanks. The Soviets had already been using them as early as 1941.

ASW rockets/mortars like Hedgehog and Squid will almost be mandatory if sewer pipes make into the live game, given the fantsmagorical speed buffs the subs have and the short range and long sink time of conventional depth charges (rolled or Y/K-gun deployed).

Edited by So_lt_Goes
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,334
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,514 posts
6,677 battles
29 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

we are getting rockets(CV rework),we are getting subs. things that no one thought it would be implemented are happening..

what's left? kamikazes?the CVs currently in the rework have unlimited planes. it was a desperate tactic and some people might not agree with it. but what do YOU  think?what's left of ww2 and early cold war(looking at you soviet line) that WG could  implement?

crude (guided) missiles, radar/wire guided bombs, circling topedoes, sonar homing torpedos, jet skis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
448
[4HIM]
Members
1,716 posts
3,905 battles
6 minutes ago, Carrier_Ikoma said:

Unguided rockets were used in navies in the 1700s. They weren't new weapons, even in WW2...

It's where we get the line "And the rocket's red glare" in a song made from a poem written by a guy held prisoner on a British ship during the Revolutionary War.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,722
[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,974 battles
10 minutes ago, Carrier_Ikoma said:

Unguided rockets were used in navies in the 1700s. They weren't new weapons, even in WW2...

Oh, I know - but I was contradicting a post that said they were a late war/nearly Korean War thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,459 posts
12,213 battles

Blimps, Schnellbotes, manned pillboxes on islands.... and finally we go full Day of the Dolphin (George C Scott) and strap magnetic mines to dolphin that can swim up and stick them on enemy ships.

 

By the way, Day of the Dolphin is arguably one of the top three all time tear jerkers right there with Ol Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
705 posts
7 minutes ago, APA_204 said:

Blimps, Schnellbotes, manned pillboxes on islands.... and finally we go full Day of the Dolphin (George C Scott) and strap magnetic mines to dolphin that can swim up and stick them on enemy ships.

 

By the way, Day of the Dolphin is arguably one of the top three all time tear jerkers right there with Ol Yeller and Where the Red Fern Grows

 

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
2,833 posts
4,035 battles
28 minutes ago, Carrier_Ikoma said:

Portraying kamikazes is much more of an ethical concern. Gameplay would be easy enough, but most would object to it on principle. So I don't think that will ever happen.

yeah,that's the main issue.

i wasn't exactly  active when the arizona was announced,but didn't people object for her introduction because she is a war grave?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
556
[WOLF6]
Members
1,822 posts
4,832 battles
48 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

rockets were used pretty late at war,almost a korea war thing. (I KNOW  about hood,i forgot her).

i'm sure didn't expect rockets,i gotta admit i might have jumped the gun .

whaaaat? Typhoons and P-47's were using rockets in 1944...

Beaufighters were using them on ships in ...1943?

Pretty sure marine corsairs were carrying them on ground support missions @ Iwo Jima

Edited by Thornir
oh! Do you mean GUIDED weapons?
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
556
[WOLF6]
Members
1,822 posts
4,832 battles
2 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

yeah,that's the main issue.

i wasn't exactly  active when the arizona was announced,but didn't people object for her introduction because she is a war grave?

yes, there were.

I was in a game once where a guy refused to shoot at her, for that reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
2,833 posts
4,035 battles
1 minute ago, Thornir said:

yes, there were.

I was in a game once where a guy refused to shoot at her, for that reason.

i'm not using arizona to justify the introduction of kamikazes,but it might show that WG won't let "principles" stop her from introducing something in game.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
556
[WOLF6]
Members
1,822 posts
4,832 battles
Just now, Cruxdei said:

i'm not using arizona to justify the introduction of kamikazes,but it might show that WG won't let "principles" stop her from introducing something in game.

 

understood and concur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24
[_I_]
Members
13 posts
421 battles
1 minute ago, Thornir said:

yes, there were.

I was in a game once where a guy refused to shoot at her, for that reason.

I can definitely understand the sentiment (having sailed past Arizona rendering honors several times and been quite moved by the experience) but actually all naval wrecks are considered war graves. It would be silly for people to never shoot at the Hood, or any other ship sunk in battle.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×