You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

In Which I Eat Some Words I Spoke Recently, And Confess A thing..

20 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
5,781 posts
3,942 battles

Last night I took two major steps I didn't think I'd be taking.

The first was to get back into carriers before the rework. 

The second, after much reflection and due consideration, was to free-XP from the Langley to the Bogue.

This was something others had advised me to do. They advised it in order to gain access to the carrier Nobilium for the Halloween missions, but I did it for another reason. :Smile_trollface:

Simply put, if I'm going to derp around in carriers in co-op a bit before the rework comes and changes everything, why not do it in a way that ticks up points in the daily missions and works towards totals in the current Royal Navy campaign?

Bogue's air group is 1:1:1 like Langley's with only one of each squadron just like Langley, and she is thus no more complicated for the beginner to play in handling terms, even if the opposition she faces is significantly more dangerous and all of it can be relied on to have AA guns of some description.

So while I'm not proud of myself for having free-XP'd past a ship, I did it for specific reasons not directly related to no longer wanting to play her. I was actually getting into the Langley and having a good time with her, but it would have required too much time with everything else that was going on.

(And no, I will not be playing the Nobilium except maybe right at the end of this operations cycle, where my utter screwups will have minimal impact on people trying to get stars from it for RN missions.)

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Beta Testers
2,825 posts
3,977 battles

and you better swallow them lustfully.

[INTEL]
Members
8,429 posts
25,288 battles
16 hours ago, Cruxdei said:

lewd

[ARGSY]
Members
5,781 posts
3,942 battles
Just now, Cruxdei said:

Interesting choice of adjective. I think you should have considered "enthusiastically", or maybe the archaic word you were looking for which means the same thing is "lustily".

Beta Testers
2,825 posts
3,977 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

or maybe the archaic word 

eeewww,this is so 20th century.

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,019 posts
1,419 battles

SKY CANCER MUST GO!

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,484 posts
6,657 battles

all is forgiven if you say three hail zeppelin twice a day for the next week.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,586 posts
4,956 battles

Well this thread has become more interesting because of word choices. :cap_popcorn:

[ICBM]
Members
323 posts
7,862 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Interesting choice of adjective. I think you should have considered "enthusiastically", or maybe the archaic word you were looking for which means the same thing is "lustily".

Forgive him for he doesn't realise the crudeness of his ways...

Hey, nothing wrong with free-XP'ing the way forward... 

[WOLFB]
Members
417 posts
3,626 battles

I did pretty much the same thing you did Ensign --except for the dirty free XP part ;). I started playing Carriers because I used to love StarCraft and I wanted to check out the RTS mode in my new favorite games before it goes away. Playing miserable Battleships to unlock the Bogue was miserable (too slow for my tastes, but that's a different thread).

But Tier 4 and Tier 5 Carriers are a lot of fun in Co-op. I only played Langley there times in Randoms and I managed one win, so not bad for a beginner. I also tried taking Bogue into Ranked but the queue time was to long and I aborted that mission (see my previous comment about slow being miserable).

But with only a few squadrons to control, I have a lot of fun in my Bogue in Co-op. I always play a few games just for fun and to progress on the RN Missions.

I did play the Nobilium once and with more squadrons, I was definitely out of my league (4 stars I think, so I didn't do too much harm). I didn't enjoy it and the experience made me less sad about the current CVs going away. It would just take so much work to get good at high tier CV play and I'm never going to do that when I'm not even good enough at my regular ships.

For the players that have made that investment, I feel sorry for you. You are kind of being robbed of your investment of time. But this is a video game and it was fun while it lasted so we can't really get too worked up about it.

I also think it's sad that the new Carriers in the game are going to be only one squadron at a time. I think that's probably the second most defining thing about Carriers is that they deploy multiple squadrons at a time and they have to coordinate and manage those multiple squadrons to be effective in battle. Losing that will take away something that currently adds a lot of flavor to the game -- and I mean that asa a Destroyer and Cruiser player. Since this is a 20th century naval warfare game, I like having a lot of planes in the sky. And like I said, that seems like the job of a Carrier player: to control all those squadrons and use them effectively.

I've certainly been enjoying playing the Langley and Bogue with the current RTS game play. I'm glad I did the sluggish Wyoming grind to get there. And I'm glad I'll be able to say, like you @Ensign_Cthulhu, that I played Carriers in the original iteration (at least a little) before they made them simple airplane simulators.

------------------

P.S. On the topic of Free XP: I too have a policy of not spending my Free XP on speeding up the grind. I'm saving it for when I really need it (whatever that might be I don't know...). But I'm playing the Jianwei in Ranked and I decided I really needed Expert Marksman on my Commander because I was struggling without it. So I used a bunch of my Elite Commander XP to add some Commander Points and I kind of got carried away and all the sudden I used up half my Free XP too. Ugh, that was annoying. I consoled myself by admitting that I wasn't using it for anything else anyway.

Now if WG comes out with a good Destroyer or Light Cruiser for Free XP I'll really be kicking myself. (I'll be happy too - please WG, it's time to throw us DD players a bone.)

Edited by Jester_of_War

[ARGSY]
Members
5,781 posts
3,942 battles
1 hour ago, Jester_of_War said:

P.P.S - I think this requires a little more explanation...

How exactly does playing the Bogue lead to...

OK maybe nevermind...

Why do you think I used the troll-face icon? :Smile_teethhappy:

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,696 posts
11,107 battles

I wouldn't worry back in older days of wows I purposely took AS on a bogue just to screw over the other cv, never cared about damage just wanted to shoot his planes down

[WOLF9]
Members
1,031 posts
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Last night I took two major steps I didn't think I'd be taking.

The first was to get back into carriers before the rework. 

The second, after much reflection and due consideration, was to free-XP from the Langley to the Bogue.

This was something others had advised me to do. They advised it in order to gain access to the carrier Nobilium for the Halloween missions, but I did it for another reason. :Smile_trollface:

Simply put, if I'm going to derp around in carriers in co-op a bit before the rework comes and changes everything, why not do it in a way that ticks up points in the daily missions and works towards totals in the current Royal Navy campaign?

Bogue's air group is 1:1:1 like Langley's with only one of each squadron just like Langley, and she is thus no more complicated for the beginner to play in handling terms, even if the opposition she faces is significantly more dangerous and all of it can be relied on to have AA guns of some description.

So while I'm not proud of myself for having free-XP'd past a ship, I did it for specific reasons not directly related to no longer wanting to play her. I was actually getting into the Langley and having a good time with her, but it would have required too much time with everything else that was going on.

(And no, I will not be playing the Nobilium except maybe right at the end of this operations cycle, where my utter screwups will have minimal impact on people trying to get stars from it for RN missions.)

Relax. It is your account, it is your free xp, do as you will with it. But, if you feel the need for penance, send me 3000 doubloons and I shall grant you an indulgence. It is perfectly legitimate, as thanks to the internet and five dollars, I am an ordained minister.

[ICBM]
Members
323 posts
7,862 battles
11 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

Relax. It is your account, it is your free xp, do as you will with it. But, if you feel the need for penance, send me 3000 doubloons and I shall grant you an indulgence. It is perfectly legitimate, as thanks to the internet and five dollars, I am an ordained minister.

10 points...

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,374 posts
7,959 battles
5 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I will not be playing the Nobilium except maybe right at the end of this operations cycle

Although my last few daily runs felt like the bots were learning, unless you have a terribad group, like, zombies that mindless zombies would call mindless zombies bad, it's been super easy. I think of 7 battles 2 I actually had to use the fighters. The other 5 players were on top of the CV and nuked it so all I rally did was just lazily auto drop on ships and obliterate things. Think one was 9 kills 250k+ damage and a ton of mission completions on a 5 star. 

Members
2,437 posts
12,175 battles
3 hours ago, LoveBote said:

all is forgiven if you say three hail zeppelin twice a day for the next week.

hail hydra's?

• Funny 1

[SYN]
Members
504 posts
5,962 battles
14 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

So while I'm not proud of myself for having free-XP'd past a ship, I did it for specific reasons not directly related to no longer wanting to play her.

Hey, I free-XP'd past the Kitikaze and the Seattle so I could get two free SC's. 

I was going to skip the Seattle anyway. I am terrible at tier 9 CA and I assume CL.

I did get the IJN Dasha so I can play the Kitikaze, now.

[REJCT]
Members
4 posts
3,129 battles

What language does IJN Dasha speak?
I put my US Dasha on a Lexington; All the pilots speak Russian.
Real pain.