Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Raging_Capt_Bob

Le Terrible

24 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3,018
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,128 posts
8,749 battles

Maybe you should play to its strengths instead of playing it is simply a DD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,311
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,440 posts
6,631 battles
42 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Maybe you should play to its strengths instead of playing it is simply a DD?

It makes an excellent submersible. 

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
325
[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,129 posts
10,001 battles
51 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Maybe you should play to its strengths instead of playing it is simply a DD?

It is extremely good at farming potential damage. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
811
[SPTR]
Members
25,612 posts
10,802 battles

Yes she's quite hard and tricky to use being a gunboat destroyer without the option of smoke or heal, try playing her like a limited dynamic lite french cruiser since they are the only things out there that share the same consumables of main batts reload booster and 20% engine boost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12
[O_S_D]
Members
40 posts
9,384 battles

I have been reading these forums about how crappy this ship is and cannot contest caps.

Hogwash!

I have this ship and nobody gets to the cap faster than me. Many times, just being there first allows me to cap it and leave before anyone else gets there. If enemy comes in force, run away.

This ship can actually get to a distant cap (that is either abandoned now or ignored) fast and cap it.

I will admit this ship took me a day of playing to grasp its strengths,....speed, speed and more speed!

Chase down wounded dd's, open up at BB's & CA's (especially BB's) at 10-12k distance to get them to shoot at you and easily dodge most if not all incoming fire. Use your Booster reload to attack crippled ships to finish them off.

Great DD, been having a real blast playing it, just takes some getting use to and it must be played to its strengths.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24
[WOLFC]
Members
63 posts
3,291 battles

A ship for people that don't mind change - not only does this ship, change the DD paradigm,  your game changes every 10 seconds.

 

If you like things to stay the same, don't buy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,392 posts
5,421 battles

I bought the TERRIBBLE and was curious as to HOW its turbo engine was going to work out even tho ALL the  Tube testers had given it a THUMBS DOWN!   Yeah..thats me sometimes - go against the grain kinda sorta.  Well I play some CO-Op and was getting nailed if I did not pay attention to my concealment radius and position on my side. I mean the Bots were loving it..EVEN with turbo on they got me most of the time. Okay..mental note..PLAY it SAFE ..ok.I did and minded carefully the enemy ships around me...but when a enemy DD came into view and no one else was the Gun Reload Boost really works well..as long as your not really low on HP.  But anyways..lets try some Random.  Funny thing is that in random..and with speed boost and speed cranked up all the way..the enemy had a hard time to nail me as their lead shots were inaccurate. at least for NOW..LOL!   So with that..I actually did scores in the middle most of the time win or lose.  It is as they say a very situational ship and you have to take advantage of your position relative to the enemy. With 6.6 KM concealment is not too bad.  No Smoke is a real bummer...and no heal. Would be nice if there was a option to choose one. Maybe someday as a buff but nerf another item.  probably ain't gonna happen tho...I have bought worse ships...what were they? I don't wanna remember..LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
151
[EREKT]
Members
751 posts
5,758 battles
On 10/28/2018 at 6:16 AM, Tingent said:

I have been reading these forums about how crappy this ship is and cannot contest caps.

Hogwash!

I have this ship and nobody gets to the cap faster than me. Many times, just being there first allows me to cap it and leave before anyone else gets there. If enemy comes in force, run away.

This ship can actually get to a distant cap (that is either abandoned now or ignored) fast and cap it.

I will admit this ship took me a day of playing to grasp its strengths,....speed, speed and more speed!

Chase down wounded dd's, open up at BB's & CA's (especially BB's) at 10-12k distance to get them to shoot at you and easily dodge most if not all incoming fire. Use your Booster reload to attack crippled ships to finish them off.

Great DD, been having a real blast playing it, just takes some getting use to and it must be played to its strengths.

wow, rose colored glasses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
227 posts
803 battles

I have the ship.

I have the premium french commander at high level.

I tried anti-dd (hunt them down with RDF). Tried suicide torps. Tried max range HE/IFHE AFT.

Whatever it does, it has no heal. It has junk conceal. It has HORRIBLE firing arcs that require you to get broadside to use all your guns and get most of reload booster. It's a very bad ship with a very inferior design. Yes, it can go fast. So can lots of ships that are far more useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
411
[2CUTE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,259 posts
3,836 battles
On 11/1/2018 at 4:04 AM, dukerustfield said:

I have the ship.

I have the premium french commander at high level.

I tried anti-dd (hunt them down with RDF). Tried suicide torps. Tried max range HE/IFHE AFT.

Whatever it does, it has no heal. It has junk conceal. It has HORRIBLE firing arcs that require you to get broadside to use all your guns and get most of reload booster. It's a very bad ship with a very inferior design. Yes, it can go fast. So can lots of ships that are far more useful.

I currently have Jean Honore on mine with 13 pts, just enough to get the most stringent skills needed, PT, Last Stand (because idgaf if my engine's broken, I'm still doing 43 knots with speed boost) Surv Exp, concealment, and Expert Marksman. 

Here's my current tactical layout, based on what you tried
Anti DD : I don't have RDF but it would be useful, however, I can usually guesstimate who will go where and rarely have I been surprised. I'll mark that down to experience as a player. but even with meh concealment, I can charge into someone before they are ready to react, fire, hit the reload booster, bangbangbangbangbang, and half their HP is gone and I'm laughing like a maniac as I zip away from the area, either I barely took any damage from the trade, or I can jog back and adjust my play.

Suicide Torps: I've only landed one set of those. I'm usually firing torps every chance I get, because 8k is not insignificant, they're fast and hit hard. more often than not I can use my speed as concealment, dancing outside of detection range and maxing out my torps on someone who doesn't know I'm there. "suicide torps" already tells me you want the whole ship to be a torpedo and that will NOT contribute to your damage done overall.

Max Range HE/IFHE/AFT: For once I agree with Flamu that AFT is not needed, at 12k barely anyone is hitting me. I've tried to start the occasional fire but I tend to try not drawing attention to myself. My speed is the secret key for my success. If I remain hidden, I can zip all over the map with impunity, and catch my foes flat-footed more often than not. 

In response to your final remarks:
no heal : big slug of HP, SE is your friend, I can trade one on one with red DDs and be ok as long as they aren't german. 
Junk conceal: eye of the beholder, its not great but more useful than not.
horrible firing arcs: a hidden blessing, broadside means more overpens and less time for your turrets to turn. having 3 forward facing guns with decent angles means the bulk of your firepower is still reaching the target. 5 is better than 3 but 3 is much better than 2. Turret 5 all the way in the back can swing quite a bit which also bumps you up to 4. still better than 3 or 2. 
Lots of ships far more useful : if you insist, then play them.

The only thing I would want to change about Le Terrible is to give her a british smoke generator. 
I'd love to have a cephalopod-style "just enough to get me out of here" smoke charge. camping would kill you, but just enough to break contact is ok in my book. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[SSG]
Members
4 posts
4,929 battles

Firstly, according to Wiki...

Ship is still being tested and all vital statistics are subject to change.

Lol. For worse perhaps?

so enjoy your well spent money for now. Have fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
227 posts
803 battles
7 hours ago, Sledgehammer427 said:

Here's my current tactical layout, based on what you tried

Anti DD : The problem is, your T8. Even with reload booster, probably more than half the DDs you meet will straight out beat you in a fight. And remember, the firing angles are so bad you have to be nearly totally broadside to work it. That means you can suck down torps and can't dodge well or you'll have low DPS. I.e., if you jump an Akizuki you'll die. If you jump a Kiev, you might die. If you jump any T9+ USSR you'll die. etc.

Suicide Torps: Most ships have some kind of secondaries and once you get close range, they auto-hit no matter how fast you're going. At medium range, it's just torps. A Kagero or an Asashio(!) are better at same tier. And higher tier IJN or USN are better, obviously.

Max Range HE/IFHE/AFT: For once I agree with Flamu that AFT is not needed, at 12k barely anyone is hitting me. I've tried to start the occasional fire but I tend to try not drawing attention to myself. My speed is the secret key for my success. If I remain hidden, I can zip all over the map with impunity, and catch my foes flat-footed more often than not.

I find most of this to be nonsense. At 12K cruiser that don't have USN arcs can easily hit you. Cruisers with high velocity/flat trajectories can hit all day. I've hit Terribles with my Kronstadt that has junk dispersion. A few lucky hits and you're half health. Spammy cruisers or DDs can just fling out ammo all day long. I've gotten in Terrible vs Terrible fights and you're just filling the air with shells.

Lots of ships far more useful : if you insist, then play them.

I do. But it doesn't change that Le Terrible is my worst premium and I'm posting so everyone knows it's a crap premium. It is incredibly rare I see them in games. Word has spread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
579 posts
4,196 battles

If you think she's the worst ship ever released you have a pretty short memory. She's not great, but definitely not on the level of the Huang He or Marblehead.

 

Part of it is that she's tier 8, and just doesn't have the concealment (which is usually an advantage of T8 DDs over T10) to contribute a lot to T10 matches- unlike Benson/PADD, Cossack/Lightning, IJN DDs etc. If she'd been introduced as a T7 and scaled down proportionately she probably would have gotten much better reviews.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
15 posts
4,622 battles

UUg, this has been one hard ship to master. Just did a 80k dam with this thing ( after about 5 games of 2k dam) and what worked is thinking like a predator. Look for a solo ship,  behind the herd, and make quick assaults.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
151
[EREKT]
Members
751 posts
5,758 battles
1 hour ago, vonluckner said:

If you think she's the worst ship ever released you have a pretty short memory. She's not great, but definitely not on the level of the Huang He or Marblehead.

 

Part of it is that she's tier 8, and just doesn't have the concealment (which is usually an advantage of T8 DDs over T10) to contribute a lot to T10 matches- unlike Benson/PADD, Cossack/Lightning, IJN DDs etc. If she'd been introduced as a T7 and scaled down proportionately she probably would have gotten much better reviews.

 

Scaled down? Not by much... Maybe 1s on the gun reload, 2,000 HP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
151
[EREKT]
Members
751 posts
5,758 battles

Watch this rare replay of a Le Terrible having a great game, i posted a thread about it. The enemy Terrible copied my carrier snipe, he had a good game too. I got super lucky that their team ignored me. Normally the ship sucks, especially when bottom tier. I was nominal tier and BOTH teams were bad.

 

20181102_222720_PFSD508-Le-Terrible_22_tierra_del_fuego.wowsreplay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
579 posts
4,196 battles
1 hour ago, HorrorRoach said:

Scaled down? Not by much... Maybe 1s on the gun reload, 2,000 HP.

 

Also losing Concealment mod, 19mm plating etc. Probably a nerf to torp DPM as well. In any case, my point is that her T7 self would be very strong because she'd no longer be facing the T10 railguns like Zao, Moskva, Khaba/Groz

 

In any case, it's difficult to assess the actual power of T8 premiums, since the constant uptiers favor some characteristics over others. Terrible is a bad ship, but I don't think she really deserves anything more than minor buffs (maybe a slight shell velocity increase). In T8 matchmaking where nearly everything has rainbow guns she does a lot better. In fact, I'd attribute most of her poor performance to how badly she fares against T10 railguns (Zao, Moskva, Khaba etc.) that turn her open water gunboating into a joke.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
411
[2CUTE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,259 posts
3,836 battles
8 hours ago, vonluckner said:

 

Also losing Concealment mod, 19mm plating etc. Probably a nerf to torp DPM as well. In any case, my point is that her T7 self would be very strong because she'd no longer be facing the T10 railguns like Zao, Moskva, Khaba/Groz

 

In any case, it's difficult to assess the actual power of T8 premiums, since the constant uptiers favor some characteristics over others. Terrible is a bad ship, but I don't think she really deserves anything more than minor buffs (maybe a slight shell velocity increase). In T8 matchmaking where nearly everything has rainbow guns she does a lot better. In fact, I'd attribute most of her poor performance to how badly she fares against T10 railguns (Zao, Moskva, Khaba etc.) that turn her open water gunboating into a joke.

 

I can't disagree with this assessment. I think a lot of her problems at tier 8 come down to vision control, hence why I advocate for a British smoke charge as a get out of jail free card. 
That said, I'm having fun in her still. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
104
[GRRR]
[GRRR]
Members
586 posts
20,555 battles

   After 56 battles, 66% win rate and my best DD that I've played more than 50 battles in. And the overall server win rate is the BEST for a tier 8 DD right now. It's a good tier 8 DD, Wargaming thinks the ship is doing fine but are supposedly watching her (his?) performance very closely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,503 posts
7,919 battles

Hey

I wanted to get this ship but just too many things against it.  It's a 1 trick pony (speed) and that's it.  It either needs flatter shooting guns with faster reload, 10-12 km torps with good speed and damage, or better yet a smoke to be able to disengage and reposition.  Otherwise there are other T8 DD's that are far more useful to the team effort.  No wonder you don't see too many in game these days.

 

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
258
[CVA16]
Members
2,164 posts
9,615 battles
16 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

No wonder you don't see too many in game these days.

Well, it is a not cheap premium and it hit the shelf with a  reputation of being less than stellar, so I assume there aren't that many out there even giving them a try to see if it works for them. Personally I'm not likely to put down tier 8 cash for a ship I know I am more likely to struggle with than do great. (Hey, I can struggle with ships everyone else thinks is OP) Obviously Roadrider is doing well with his.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2
[MWM]
[MWM]
Members
6 posts
7,289 battles
On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:47 PM, rasputins_beard said:

UUg, this has been one hard ship to master. Just did a 80k dam with this thing ( after about 5 games of 2k dam) and what worked is thinking like a predator. Look for a solo ship,  behind the herd, and make quick assaults.

Sooo...play it kinda like Asashio?? (Stalk and shoot?) 

Can it be any worse that the French DD Eagle??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[HOOPR]
[HOOPR]
Members
6 posts
1,776 battles
On 11/2/2018 at 1:18 PM, Sledgehammer427 said:

 

The only thing I would want to change about Le Terrible is to give her a british smoke generator. 
I'd love to have a cephalopod-style "just enough to get me out of here" smoke charge. camping would kill you, but just enough to break contact is ok in my book. 

Agreed!

The ship is not horrible played to its strengths. However I do find it needs a bit more survivability to be worth its price point. 

A brit style fast dissipating smoke charge would be enough. Make it run for 5 sec and dissipate in 10 sec. That would be enough to break contact and save some hit points to make the ship last longer into the battle. 

I've seen too many le Terrible's die before the halfway point. While I'm sure the best of the best can dominate the reality is the average player is struggling. Those same average players always wind up on green while the red DD's have experts. At least with the ability to break contact with smoke and to get to safety with speed, the ships survivability would make gameplay more comfortable.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×