Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Your_Ship_Is_On_Fire

Spend coal on Salem or wait?

50 comments in this topic

Members
451 posts
7,842 battles

I finally have enough coal for the Salem. Are there any confirmed coal ships coming up that I should save it for instead?

Edited by Your_Ship_Is_On_Fire

[KRAK]
Members
942 posts
13,053 battles
6 minutes ago, Your_Ship_Is_On_Fire said:

I finally have enough coal for the Salem. Are there any confirmed coal ships coming up that I should save it for instead?

I do not have a Salem but I find them completely underwhelming when I face them. I would not even waste my coal as the DM is worlds better.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,319 posts
3,668 battles

Nothing confirmed, but Jean Bart, Alaska and Bourgogne are still in the works. One is bound to be available for coal.

[WOLF2]
Members
864 posts
7,008 battles

Same thing.   Got the coal, and got a ton of free XP.   Just waiting on ships to buy.

I'm getting close to the Des Moines, so not sure if I want the Salem.   I'll probably keep accruing and wait.   We'll know soon enough.

Edited by DiddleDum

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,216 posts
6,433 battles
25 minutes ago, Your_Ship_Is_On_Fire said:

Are there any confirmed coal ships coming up that I should save it for instead?

Is there any ship that has been confirmed for coal?

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
26 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Nothing confirmed, but Jean Bart, Alaska and Bourgogne are still in the works. One is bound to be available for coal.

^This.  I'm saving both my coal and FXP for these ships, though I will say that I have my heart set on the Alaska.

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,056 posts
7,611 battles
31 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

I suspect Bourgogne will be for Steel (sequel to Stalingrad).  We'll have to see about the other two. 

• Cool 2

[-WPG-]
Members
737 posts
3,145 battles

Are you interested in the Worcester or Des Moines (or the Montana)?   It's an excellent captain trainer for both, and actually works pretty well as a US BB captain trainer. It's one of the best captain trainers out there period, since it's T10 and you can play it in clan battles, and the bonkers amount of captain XP you can rack up in CBs with dragon flags. 

If you're interested in the US cruisers and BB lines, yes.  If not, no. 

• Cool 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,319 posts
3,668 battles
5 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I suspect Bourgogne will be for Steel (sequel to Stalingrad).  We'll have to see about the other two. 

Well that would make sense too. Of course there could also be the scenario that Kronshtadt gets rotated in the spot of Musashi in the Arsenal, with the remaining two ships being up for FXP. 

WG will have to play it's cards right timing wise regarding the releases of JB and Alaska to avoid saturating the market. Of course making one exclusively obtainable by coal at first could help.

[AXANR]
Members
3,357 posts
16,533 battles
17 minutes ago, Crucis said:

^This.  I'm saving both my coal and FXP for these ships, though I will say that I have my heart set on the Alaska.

Same. I'm sitting on 1.1 mil free XP and 200+k coal, still stockpiling, until we find out about Alaska, Jean Bart, and Bourgogne (although as LWM pointed out Bourgogne is likely a steel ship.) But French BBs are my favorite BBs and Alaska also excites me, so making sure I'm ready to buy them on day one, assuming one is fxp and one is coal. 

• Funny 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,153 posts
12,862 battles
1 hour ago, Your_Ship_Is_On_Fire said:

I see … NoTHING, I hear … NoTHING, I know … NoTHING!!!

Sgt Schultz :)

[WOLF6]
Members
128 posts
3,737 battles

Stockpiling like the others, 1.2 million FXP, but I really want a Nelson. Must be strong.

[BANG_]
Members
93 posts
851 battles
52 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Thanks for ruining the party, Bourgogne for steel

:Smile_hiding:

[NUWES]
Members
1,641 posts
5,490 battles
2 minutes ago, iOSDeveloper said:

Thanks for ruining the party, Bourgogne for steel

:Smile_hiding:

I suspect so too.

[SIM]
Members
2,439 posts
4,080 battles

Regardless of what may or may not be confirmed for the Arsenal, none of the prospective ships in the pipeline (Alaska, Jean Bart, Bourgogne) are similar to the Salem. With that in mind, do you want a Des Moines with a gimpy radar and a super heal? If the answer is yes, then get the Salem. If not, then wait for the options to get shuffled around. 

[NUWES]
Members
1,641 posts
5,490 battles
1 hour ago, Vaffu said:

I do not have a Salem but I find them completely underwhelming when I face them. I would not even waste my coal as the DM is worlds better.

Same for me. I love DM. It's my favorite ship in the game, but I have never seen Salem do particularly well in a situation where DM would not have done better. That gimped radar really hurts. DM can control detection with radar and support the team. Salem has to depend on the rest of the team to help control vision for it. I suspect that will work better if it is in a division and someone can reliably spot for it, but I've rarely been in a random where that happened. The Salem seems to die a lot because it has to push up blind. The improved heal doesn't help if you get perma-spotted by a DD you can't counterspot and then get focused by the enemy team. Neither the float plane nor hydro are really good substitutes for the loss of radar range. There is simply too much space between Salem's detection range and its radar range for DDs to hide and perma-spot you.

Like the OP I was saving coal to buy Salem as a premium DM  but as time goes on I am less and less impressed by the ship. I think @LittleWhiteMouse is right in her Salem review (http://shipcomrade.com/?p=773). In most cases it is worse than DM because of the radar. Salem's heal is very nice and it certainly can have great games, but the ship isn't tanky enough to be as blind as it is. I rarely play a game where I don't have to use my radar to spot DDs or ships in a storm. I ripped a Musashi apart a couple of days ago because I could spot him with my radar and he couldn't see me at all because of the storm. Honestly, I would probably have been happier if Salem was a straight up premium DM.I would probably have spent the coal on that. If it had the option of swapping radar for the improved heal I would have been good with that too.  Right now I'll wait to see what else I can spend mine on. 

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,921 posts
3,544 battles
2 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Exactly. The issue is WG have been tight lipped so it's hard to say what to spend on. I would by Salem in a heartbeat if they said Alaska was free exp

Members
508 posts
2,831 battles
2 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I disagree. Borg will be Coal, Bart and Alaska will be FXP.

Reasoning, most people don't have access to Steel reserves, Coal ships haven't changed almost since the Arsenal was introduced. Steel ship would just sour the community. If they want to put a boat behind a Steel wall do it to Alaska or JB while also making the latter 2 FXP which should net them some good income from conversions. Everyone wins that way.

Edited by ksix

Beta Testers
770 posts
5,858 battles

Salem is a more agreesive DM with a worse radar. If you like the DM but wish you had a better heal, and a slightly worse radar isn't a big deal to you, than go for it. Salem is awesome. 

Alpha Tester
110 posts
5,207 battles

My predictions would be:

Bourgogne: Steel because LWM says so and they do need another steel product to keep hard core players into game.

Alaska: 750K FXP cause the NA playerbase will go apeshit if it's not accessible to Joe average. It will be strong and good and we will see ton of them. I'd bet money on this.

Jean Bart: I'd love to see this as a coal ship but to be truthful I don't see WG as being that generous. If so, it would be perfect; it caters to a playstyle like the salem but is underpowered by a degree to its same tier XP ships. I'd get it in a heartbeat if this was the case. Maybe another FXP ship tho.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,056 posts
7,611 battles
50 minutes ago, ksix said:

I disagree. Borg will be Coal, Bart and Alaska will be FXP.

Reasoning, most people don't have access to Steel reserves, Coal ships haven't changed almost since the Arsenal was introduced. Steel ship would just sour the community. If they want to put a boat behind a Steel wall do it to Alaska or JB while also making the latter 2 FXP which should net them some good income from conversions. Everyone wins that way.

That's entirely the point.  People need an incentive to get back on the treadmill to replenish the Steel that's been spent.  If you've been a heavily active player you already have Black, Flint and Stalingrad and zero steel reserves.  Most of the other players will have one or two of the three with perhaps no inclination to pick up the third ship on offer.  Providing a fourth will help with retention.

• Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
583 posts
7,338 battles

I’m going to go against the grain here and say get the Salem now if you like t10 cruiser play. It’s different enough from DM that its enjoyable to play if you don’t mind being exposed more. You have to choose your positioning differently, your movements differently and be willing to take more risks. You have to look for and choose your moments carefully. You have that repair to recover as long as you don’t do something stupid or put yourself in a spot you have no way out of. 

I’m by no means a good DM or Salem player but I enjoy the Salem just because it has some of the strengths of DM that I’m familiar with. But I still need to change my mindset a bit when I play it. 

I bought her with coal now knowing that the next ship will still be here long enough for me to get the coal needed for that one. 

[PVE]
Members
5,317 posts
17,820 battles
23 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

I’m going to go against the grain here and say get the Salem now if you like t10 cruiser play. It’s different enough from DM that its enjoyable to play if you don’t mind being exposed more. You have to choose your positioning differently, your movements differently and be willing to take more risks. You have to look for and choose your moments carefully. You have that repair to recover as long as you don’t do something stupid or put yourself in a spot you have no way out of. 

I’m by no means a good DM or Salem player but I enjoy the Salem just because it has some of the strengths of DM that I’m familiar with. But I still need to change my mindset a bit when I play it. 

I bought her with coal now knowing that the next ship will still be here long enough for me to get the coal needed for that one. 

I like the Salem, really enjoying her. I don't have the DM (only up to Baltimore) but playing her in co-op you actually make credits. That is practically unheard of with tier 8+ ships. She is no Missouri as far as income goes, but she never loses credits like all my tech tree ships do. I have my Halsey captain spec'd for heavy cruisers and up to 19 points now. He captains my Baltimore, Indianapolis, and Salem. I have zero buyer's remorse for buying Salem, but I love cruisers and cruiser play. A tier 10 premium that comes with its own port slot and premium camo with modifiers on it so you don't lose money,  what is not to love about her?

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
14 posts
6,916 battles

I'd say get her. Been in so many fights with Salem where a Des Moines would have been dead and because of the heal, Salem fits my preferred cruiser playstyle of kiting and open water combat. In addition, had so many Des Moines who think they can take my Salem on 1v1 (usualy when they are full health and I am on half health) only for the heal to keep me in the battle and out trade the Des Moines completely. And seeing as my playstyle means I will rarely touch radar anyway, the nerf to the radar isnt of a concern to me. Instead I take hydro on her

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this