Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mahrs

Halloween - Fascinating Balance Choices

6 comments in this topic

Members
1,587 posts
4,345 battles

First, the obligatory props to WG. The Halloween event is a lot of fun...arguably a lot more so than randoms.

I wanted to point out a couple of balance decisions and event mechanisms that I thought were absolutely fascinating from a balance and team play stand point. 

Cruisers have the longest range...by a stretch.  That makes them ideally suited to fire support while the BBs tanks and the DDs knife fight and torp things. They also have the most insane damage dealing capability - slightly more delayed than a Torpedo alpha strike, but overall more face punching potential. 

The BB are clearly in support. They don’t just sponge damage, they can actively heal their teammates. Tirpitz is an interesting choice...arguably getting a great chance at fighting at the distances she was made to fight at.  It makes sense for cruises and BB to work together - the BB keeps the cruiser alive with heals and tanking, the cruiser keeps the BB alive by eating the face off anything dumb enough to get close. It’s almost like I’ve read that somewhere...

DD get some synergy and a lot of freedom...the setup is encrouaging getting up close and personal, darting in and out.  Nothing much to add for these, but the super short ranged everything is certainly dynamic.

• Cool 3

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles

To be honest, I don't really like the consumables in this  Halloween mode.  They're so far beyond the norm of the game, that I just cannot adjust to them.  I'm too used to the normal consumables to use these Halloween ones usefully.

[VVV]
Members
339 posts
2,240 battles
27 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I'm too used to the normal consumables to use these Halloween ones usefully.

I'm in the exact opposite camp. I love the new, kinda out there consumables with cool, powerful bonus effects and short reloads.

Regular consumables to me feel like "Here's this slight edge over your opponent, try to use it well" (Which fits well with this game), while the Halloween consumables feel more like Power-Ups or Special Abilites like in other games.

I love to ram enemies while my force field is up in the Magnu-S.

1 hour ago, Mahrs said:

I wanted to point out a couple of balance decisions and event mechanisms

Can I add the carrier's consumables as well. Carriers have always been renowned for their ability to help anywhere and everywhere on the field, but the consumables take this to the extreme, and I like it.

Also the fact that the healing factor of each ship goes up as it deals more damage (50k, 100k, 200k, etc.). I would really like this to become a mechanic in an actual consumable in the future.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
6 minutes ago, AtlanticRim said:

I'm in the exact opposite camp. I love the new, kinda out there consumables with cool, powerful bonus effects and short reloads.

Regular consumables to me feel like "Here's this slight edge over your opponent, try to use it well" (Which fits well with this game), while the Halloween consumables feel more like Power-Ups or Special Abilites like in other games.

I love to ram enemies while my force field is up in the Magnu-S.

Too damned cheesy for my taste.

Personally, I'd love for there to be a version of the Halloween mode where you used normal ships.  But that's probably too much to ask.

[LOU1]
Members
2,854 posts
7,987 battles
17 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Too damned cheesy for my taste.

Personally, I'd love for there to be a version of the Halloween mode where you used normal ships.  But that's probably too much to ask.

I am seriously trying to imagine what it would be like, but it seems it would just be Randoms with everyone in camo.  I mean, everything that makes it Halloween is cheesy.  What could be taken away that wouldn't make it just another Hermes?  It's just a bit of fun, although Saving Transylvania does not feel very enjoyable to me this time around.

Sign in to follow this