You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Let's talk about changes to Ranked Battle

35 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

1. Save Yer Star - remove it.

Yup. Enough ranked battles under my belt indicates the Save Yer *ss (star) feature needs to be removed from Ranked battles of all types. Remove it completely, see ya, bye bye.

Replace it with a few extra "irrevocable" positions - not a lot, but a couple. Why? 

• Cool 3
  • Bad 6

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,223 posts
8,804 battles

I am partial to the top 7 (?) base experience earners advance system. This gets rid of most of the impact of the team.

• Cool 5

[SALVO]
Members
16,670 posts
17,308 battles
38 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

1. Save Yer Star - remove it.

Yup. Enough ranked battles under my belt indicates the Save Yer *ss (star) feature needs to be removed from Ranked battles of all types. Remove it completely, see ya, bye bye.

Replace it with a few extra "irrevocable" positions - not a lot, but a couple. Why? 

You talk about changes, and yet all you care about is this?  :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,670 posts
17,308 battles
14 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I am partial to the top 7 (?) base experience earners advance system. This gets rid of most of the impact of the team.

As long as base XP is rewarded as normal (i.e.  the winners get a built in winning bonus), this is what I've suggested all along.  This rewards both winning and playing well.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,223 posts
8,804 battles
4 minutes ago, Crucis said:

As long as base XP is rewarded as normal (i.e.  the winners get a built in winning bonus), this is what I've suggested all along.  This rewards both winning and playing well.

I figure that if you can earn more experience than anyone on the winning team who get a bonus you should be rewarded.

[SALVO]
Members
16,670 posts
17,308 battles
8 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I figure that if you can earn more experience than anyone on the winning team who get a bonus you should be rewarded.

Exactly, BrushWolf.  If a player on the losing team can outscore a player or players on the winning team, particularly when he doesn't have the benefit of the victory bonus baked into his base XP number, then he's clearly played better than that player on the winning team    BTW, it doesn't have to be top SEVEN.  It has to be the top (however many players there are per team).

Furthermore, I think that doing it this was is an incentive for marginal players to play better because they will know that simply being carried to victory isn't a guarantee of advancement.  This system encourages playing to win and playing well.  And yet, the standard isn't that high.  All you have to do is being one of the top half of all players in the battle (both teams included) when it comes to base XP earned.  Of course, if you're on the losing team, you'll probably have to be one of the one or two most productive players on your team.  But if you win, being top 5 (out of 7) is probably a fairly certain guarantee of advancement.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,336 posts
11,487 battles
8 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Exactly, BrushWolf.  If a player on the losing team can outscore a player or players on the winning team, particularly when he doesn't have the benefit of the victory bonus baked into his base XP number, then he's clearly played better than that player on the winning team    BTW, it doesn't have to be top SEVEN.  It has to be the top (however many players there are per team).

Furthermore, I think that doing it this was is an incentive for marginal players to play better because they will know that simply being carried to victory isn't a guarantee of advancement.  This system encourages playing to win and playing well.  And yet, the standard isn't that high.  All you have to do is being one of the top half of all players in the battle (both teams included) when it comes to base XP earned.  Of course, if you're on the losing team, you'll probably have to be one of the one or two most productive players on your team.  But if you win, being top 5 (out of 7) is probably a fairly certain guarantee of advancement.

This sprint season I saved a couple of stars by outscoring the top of the winning team...

In a destroyer no less...

[SALVO]
Members
16,670 posts
17,308 battles
40 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

This sprint season I saved a couple of stars by outscoring the top of the winning team...

That's impressive, desturbed1.  Rare, but impressive.  You have to have an amazing game to outscore the top scoring winning player when you're on the losing team.  Also tends to mean that your team was probably atrocious, however.

• Cool 1

Members
1,674 posts
9,749 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

It could work.  The issue would be if there are unbalanced rewards for damage vs capping, vs spotting and other assistance stats.

If this system was implemented the last two seasons a DD would likely never rank out unless it just farmed damage.

• Cool 1

[-WPG-]
Members
742 posts
3,145 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

But it's a team competition, rewarding the winners. If you're going to reward losers with stars, why have teams at all?  Not to mention this would turn ranked into even more a campfest and screw-the-team mentality as everyone just tries to pile on damage and ignore the objectives. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts
1 hour ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

But it's a team competition, rewarding the winners. If you're going to reward losers with stars, why have teams at all?  Not to mention this would turn ranked into even more a campfest and screw-the-team mentality as everyone just tries to pile on damage and ignore the objectives. 

We all understand that... but in a revamped system, just showing up for the battle and running borders gets you no gain. These days if the team wins, you gain, even though you did not contribute. I like the proposed top seven, or some factor of the both teams who score well. 

Some interesting thought here. Hope we get more! 

Members
2,459 posts
12,213 battles

If you can't at a minimum equip the basic detection camo on a dd you shouldn't be able to get into the game. I'll pay the 5k in credits

[INTEL]
Members
8,457 posts
25,353 battles
19 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

I like that kind of system too. It would also force players to push up a bit to get XP.  

Perhaps add that all DDs on the winning team advance, since spotting is not well rewarded? 

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,223 posts
8,804 battles
3 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

2 hours ago, Crucis said:

That's impressive, desturbed1.  Rare, but impressive.  You have to have an amazing game to outscore the top scoring winning player when you're on the losing team.  Also tends to mean that your team was probably atrocious, however.

It is impressive but all he had to do was play better then everyone else on his team.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,223 posts
8,804 battles
2 hours ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

It would be a team competition if the teams stayed the same throughout the competition but with a different team every match it is all about the individual.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,670 posts
17,308 battles
2 hours ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

This is pure bullcrap.   Campers wouldn't do as well as players who  played to win, and did their damnedest to be productive and helpful to the team, rather than dropping anchor and breaking out the weenies and s'mores.

[-TKS-]
Members
288 posts
5,608 battles

I think they should just make it harder per rank like 6 stars or something . And mandatory camo to get into ranked battle.

[NSC]
Members
114 posts
5,015 battles

Wouldn't a top 7 or whatever number is chosen still promote camping?  The winning side would all still collect their stars and the losing side would still farm damage. I think the star should be gone altogether.

• Bad 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,336 posts
11,487 battles
7 hours ago, Crucis said:

3 kills, 3 caps, a couple defenders ribbons, first blood and 2 dev strikes....tried running but alas no...

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,336 posts
11,487 battles
5 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

It is impressive but all he had to do was play better then everyone else on his team.

And the other team to get more exp than enemy.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,336 posts
11,487 battles
7 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

It could work.  The issue would be if there are unbalanced rewards for damage vs capping, vs spotting and other assistance stats.

If this system was implemented the last two seasons a DD would likely never rank out unless it just farmed damage.

I got top of winning team by capping 3 bases, killing 1 dd and doing less than 30k total damage.

Ranked is about winning and not Killing...

Those who control the vision can control the map and will win...

The closest ever win I have ever had was my Kamikazi and a Julio running from 3 ships for 6 minutes...

Thank God they only took 2 of our 3 caps. They killed the battleship but I was able to finish off cruiser with guns...

Constantly turning behind me as an enemy Julio chased me. NY decided to not cap b, but try to intercept me..

With 4 seconds left we had 998 they got 997 on 3 seconds left and we hit 1000 a fraction before they did...

My heart still races thinking of that game...

So hell yes ranked sprint was fun....

I won't mention my 4 battles getting 2 shotted in my bb.....

Or how my Konigsberg decided to send up a flare saying hey hit me everyone....

Yes losses, bonehead moves and getting outplayed did happen....

Members
330 posts
6 battles
7 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I got top of winning team by capping 3 bases, killing 1 dd and doing less than 30k total damage.

Ranked is about winning and not Killing...

Those who control the vision can control the map and will win...

The closest ever win I have ever had was my Kamikazi and a Julio running from 3 ships for 6 minutes...

Thank God they only took 2 of our 3 caps. They killed the battleship but I was able to finish off cruiser with guns...

Constantly turning behind me as an enemy Julio chased me. NY decided to not cap b, but try to intercept me..

With 4 seconds left we had 998 they got 997 on 3 seconds left and we hit 1000 a fraction before they did...

My heart still races thinking of that game...

So hell yes ranked sprint was fun....

I won't mention my 4 battles getting 2 shotted in my bb.....

Or how my Konigsberg decided to send up a flare saying hey hit me everyone....

Yes losses, bonehead moves and getting outplayed did happen....

That was T5. Try playing ranked in T10. DDs rarely come out in first place. The damage cruisers and BBs put out in high tier completely negates points for capping.

Members
2,418 posts
2,233 battles

I wonder how well people would feel about ranked if you have to pick one ship of each type (CV optional) and rotate through them every game?

[RIPQP]
Members
435 posts
12,306 battles

Remove irrevocable ranks. Top-scoring winner gets an irrevocable star.

• Bad 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,336 posts
11,487 battles
7 hours ago, pinkship9001 said:

That was T5. Try playing ranked in T10. DDs rarely come out in first place. The damage cruisers and BBs put out in high tier completely negates points for capping.

You are correct...

My shimmy can help the team win, if they are good.

My Republique can force a flank, if a team pushes with me...

Sadly tier 10 is about radar and a team working together better than the other team.