You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ElectroVeeDub

Thank You WG for the T5 Ranked Season

26 comments in this topic

[PLPTS]
Members
695 posts

I thoroughly enjoyed this seasons ranked gameplay at tier 5. I've always thought that T5 would make for a better tier than T10.

At T10 the gameplay is almost more stressful than it should be. Especially for DD mains like myself. The introduction and proliferation of radar into the game has had a significant impact on how all classes now play. Some argue it's for the better. Others argue it's for the worst. But I'm not here to start another thread hating on radar. I'm here to share some praise for an aspect of WoWs that I seriously like.

Tier 5 ranked gameplay takes everything back to the basics. Guns. Torpedoes. Smoke. And some excellent ships at T5. No gimmicks. Just fun. And we don't lose credits. Last T10 ranked season probably cost me around 4,000,000 credits or more (even if I won).

I ranked out in a Fujin. It took me about a day and a half of playing. I had fun, but I would almost argue that the season was too short, too easy, with some less desirable rewards. But I won't complain. I think it's a positive step.

I would like to see T5 ranked seasons more frequently. Even permanently.

Thoughts anybody?

Edited by ElectroVeeDub
  • Cool 11

[TBW]
Members
6,293 posts
11,849 battles

Yes I agree I finally had some fun. More irrevocable levels is quite a game changer.

• Cool 1

[PLPT]
Members
577 posts
6,446 battles

Meh, T5 was a nice change, but it was too easy to advance ranks. It was rare to see a “good” game with lots of yolo deaths within the first 3 minutes. Seemed to be more about which team had fewer fools on it.

The regular ranked format did a better job separating skill levels. Yes there were potatoes who worked up to the better ranks, but this T5 season feels like a participation trophy.

It felt like Rank 20 - Rank 15. This season’s Rank 1 is really like Rank 15 or 10 in a regular season.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[TF16B]
Members
8,023 posts
16,964 battles
52 minutes ago, n00bot said:

...but this T5 season feels like a participation trophy.

For me it was more about evening out games played in a bunch of different ships I used way back in the last T5 Ranked; (I prefer to play ships in five game blocks now, back then I wasn’t doing that,) now all that’s caught up.

Been good so far, and up to R3, but do agree it’s been easier than regular Ranked.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

[KNTAI]
Members
1,083 posts
5,943 battles
7 hours ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

I thoroughly enjoyed this seasons ranked gameplay at tier 5. I've always thought that T5 would make for a better tier than T10.

At T10 the gameplay is almost more stressful than it should be. Especially for DD mains like myself. The introduction and proliferation of radar into the game has had a significant impact on how all classes now play. Some argue it's for the better. Others argue it's for the worst. But I'm not here to start another thread hating on radar. I'm here to share some praise for an aspect of WoWs that I seriously like.

Tier 5 ranked gameplay takes everything back to the basics. Guns. Torpedoes. Smoke. And some excellent ships at T5. No gimmicks. Just fun. And we don't lose credits. Last T10 ranked season probably cost me around 4,000,000 credits or more (even if I won).

I ranked out in a Fujin. It took me about a day and a half of playing. I had fun, but I would almost argue that the season was too short, too easy, with some less desirable rewards. But I won't complain. I think it's a positive step.

Thoughts anybody?

WrYGNo8.gif.2d0277e60b0e2a47e62000f67354fbfc.gif

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,249 battles
1 hour ago, n00bot said:

Meh, T5 was a nice change, but it was too easy to advance ranks. It was rare to see a “good” game with lots of yolo deaths within the first 3 minutes. Seemed to be more about which team had fewer fools on it.

The regular ranked format did a better job separating skill levels. Yes there were potatoes who worked up to the better ranks, but this T5 season feels like a participation trophy.

It felt like Rank 20 - Rank 15. This season’s Rank 1 is really like Rank 15 or 10 in a regular season.

1. Ranked Sprint was SUPPOSED to increase participation, so of course it may have  felt a little like a participation trophy!

2. This Ranked Sprint season was fun!  And that's a lot more important than whatever regular Ranked is supposed to do.  It was actually enjoyable to play Ranked Sprint in this  format.  Short and sweet with plenty of irrevocable ranks, instead of a brutal, merciless grind.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,117 posts
8,741 battles

I have advanced more ranks, currently two stars into rank 5, in this than I ever have in regular ranked which should say something.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,249 battles
2 hours ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

Thoughts anybody?

I agree on all counts, EVD.  I wouldn't mind if the shortly upcoming second Ranked Sprint season of 8v8 was at tier 6, though I know it's at tier 5 (which is OK too).

I liked the maps that were used.  I liked the fact that Big Race Epicenter was used.  I liked that this injected some variety in maps and battle modes.  I do wish that the Riposte map had been part of the mix, though.

I also liked that when it was a Domination map that it was 3 cap domination rather than 2 cap. 3 cap domination spreads things out a little more.  It also forces the  action a little more than 2 cap.  2 cap domination battles end up with each team trying to immediately take "their own" cap and then the teams just play cautiously to wait for the other team to make a mistake.   But with 3 caps, each team can go for "their own" cap but there's still that third cap in contention.  And when a team takes a second cap, that puts pressure on the other team to try to take  back one of those caps.  On the flip side, the third cap becomes a battle ground because neither team should really want to allow their opponent to take it, so teams should fight over it hard.  Overall, I think that 3 caps rather than 2 caps creates more dynamic battles for Ranked.

[NOOBS]
[NOOBS]
Beta Testers
153 posts
6,392 battles

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Did most of it in my Cesare but broke out the Gremy out of mothballs for a few games. 

[-BMV-]
Members
177 posts
13,229 battles
3 hours ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

Thoughts anybody?

Agreed. This was very enjoyable. Although the salt was still there it was way less than previous seasons, probably, in part, for been non T-10s with their excessive operational fees. No Radar, no Rail guns, No torp soup, No excessive HE spam made this rank sprint extremely entertaining. It was my first time ranking out (with König) and i actually enjoyed the ride.

Hopefully WG will do this again.

[WDS]
Members
342 posts
6,861 battles

I also enjoyed tier 5 season but I started it late thinking it would not be good . But I was wrong it was fun with much less whinning and a lot more close quarter battels it was exciting .

Edited by clammboy

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,305 posts
11,393 battles

This was fun and challenging at the same time.

I am a 48% player and I divesioned up with a 38% player who was playing Ceaser particularly great.

I took my Grimmy out and we killed the entire team at rank 6....

Not easy game but challenging. 

My Battleship play was mediocre and cruisers, forget it.

From rank 5 up it was Kamikaze R....

Very challenging to outplay all thos premium players and rank out.

Overall my experience was less stressful and more FUN.

[PLPTS]
Members
695 posts

Alright! There's lots of positive feedback here! It seems that the T5 ranked season was a smash hit!

It's nice to see some positive comments versus all the typical complaints we all see on the forums.

Edited by ElectroVeeDub

[PVE]
Members
5,300 posts
17,724 battles
1 minute ago, ElectroVeeDub said:

Alright! There's lots of positive feedback here! It seems that the T5 ranked season was a smash hit!

That is because tier 5 is a really fun tier to play at when you are not facing tier 7s. The mid tiers have just been destroyed by MM, it is where we bleed players. 

Members
294 posts
6 battles
9 hours ago, n00bot said:

Definitely Rank 15.

Members
17,667 posts
5,082 battles

It's interesting to see how popular it is, considering the rewards are kind of meh. (and rightfully so, considering the time investment and tier)

You can tell that people are playing for enjoyment, as opposed to regular ranked, where players are burning out and damaging their emotional health to get that steel.

[SF-A]
Beta Testers
296 posts
9,681 battles

As a solid 43% player since CBT (1944 model with vision, multitasking, and reaction time limitations) I have played each rank season until I became discouraged by the grind and the lack of  success. I played this season all the way to the bitter end. I didn't rank out, but made it to level 2 with 2 stars, and it was fun. I did find the games during the last couple of weeks to be often very uneven (mostly wipeouts for one side).

Members
586 posts

I ranked out quicker than I expected in 6 vs 6. Now in 8vs 8 I am having a tough time dealing with the potato’s and influx of CVs 

6 vs 6 at any tier

Reworked CV

Ranked Sprint as the normal ranked.

Better public stats ie WR for last month  not lifetime! 

Need something to get great players to step up and losers to be quiet....very quiet. 

[TF16B]
Members
8,023 posts
16,964 battles

So much suckage on my part... My own normal lack of strategic sense, lack of personal agression, MM making it hard to be agressive, and general bad luck...

Maybe I used all my mojo up in 6 v 6...

THREE bloody games just to get my first win  in 8 v 8.

Maybe I'll just sit this one out...

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[PLPTS]
Members
695 posts

I just ranked out in the second sprint season. It was more grindy. Not that I'm complaining. It appears that perhaps WG is trying different formulas with the length of a ranked season?

It seems the general consensus is that T5 is a hit. People like it. They don't go broke and the ships at that tier are excellent. It's definitely the season of the premiums with CBT/OBT veterans  using discontinued/unavailable premiums like the Gremy or the Fujin/Kamakaze, ARP Kongo variants etc.  But that doesn't mean newer premiums or tech tree ships aren't competing. I ranked in a Fujun, Podvoisky, and even tried the Krasny Krim :P

The rewards are... ok. Just ok. The length is good. The competition was very fierce in the second sprint.

Check out what Zoup thought

IM ADDICTED. GIVE ME MOAR.

Edited by ElectroVeeDub