Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jaybirdslayergaming

Why add Le Terrible???

77 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[KHAN]
Members
4 posts
1,047 battles

WG, why add Le Terrible?  The only things going for it are the main battery reload booster (only 15 secs) and her speed (lol 53.8 knots).  Her reload sucks at default, 7 seconds (making her dpm absolute trash), her firing angles are stupidly awful.  Also, on the wiki, Terrible is called "a torpedo boat destroyer." Despite this description, the ship's torps are almost unusable, having an 8 km range will mean you have to come within most radar ships' radar range, and risk knife fighting with better gunboats like Fletcher, and Kitakaze.  This also means that Le terrible cannot stealth torp, unless you spec for concealment, but Terrible is a gunboat.  To add to this, Le Terrible is big for a destroyer, making her easier to hit, despite her speed, and if she is spotted, she can only rely on her speed to get away, because lul no smoke generator.  Finally, the ship's AA is basically nonexistent, making it an easy target for CVs.

So, what is the point of adding this tier VIII DD anyway?

Note: I'm not trying to offend anyone here, I'm just curious about why WG is adding this dd.

  • Cool 2
  • Bad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17
[BB22]
Members
135 posts
21,780 battles

It has a 5 second reload ,not 7. Same as ru and rn dds. Torps are actual great and very useful with the ships speed, ambushing a lot of bbs and cls. I'm having a lot of fun with her. It's  like being bottom tier in the Lenningrad all the time, which I do enjoy .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,424
[HINON]
Supertester
18,898 posts
12,421 battles

There seem to be two kinds of players. Those who try to play her like a regular DD and think she sucks, and those who figured out how to play her properly and are having ok fun I guess.

  • Cool 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34
[ASRN]
Beta Testers
224 posts
1,959 battles

Well, it's guaranteed to give you an adrenaline rush, since the margin for error is so razor thin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,015
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,118 posts
8,741 battles

They are adding it because of the future Marine Nationale (MN) DD line. They seem to be so afraid of releasing more over powered premiums now that they are instead releasing them under powered. Hopefully they will start minor buffing of them in future patches.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24
[--1--]
Members
149 posts
2,433 battles
52 minutes ago, Jaybirdslayergaming said:

WG, why add Le Terrible?  The only things going for it are the main battery reload booster (only 15 secs) and her speed (lol 53.8 knots).  Her reload sucks at default, 7 seconds (making her dpm absolute trash), her firing angles are stupidly awful.  Also, on the wiki, Terrible is called "a torpedo boat destroyer." Despite this description, the ship's torps are almost unusable, having an 8 km range will mean you have to come within most radar ships' radar range, and risk knife fighting with better gunboats like Fletcher, and Kitakaze.  This also means that Le terrible cannot stealth torp, unless you spec for concealment, but Terrible is a gunboat.  To add to this, Le Terrible is big for a destroyer, making her easier to hit, despite her speed, and if she is spotted, she can only rely on her speed to get away, because lul no smoke generator.  Finally, the ship's AA is basically nonexistent, making it an easy target for CVs.

So, what is the point of adding this tier VIII DD anyway?

Note: I'm not trying to offend anyone here, I'm just curious about why WG is adding this dd.

It was one of the fastest ships made. Premium ships 90% of the time are added into game because of their historical significance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,584
[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,737 posts
6,699 battles
6 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

They are adding it because of the future Marine Nationale (MN) DD line. They seem to be so afraid of releasing more over powered premiums now that they are instead releasing them under powered. Hopefully they will start minor buffing of them in future patches.

I really hate the mentality "premiums must be stronk". I still remember the time in WoT when premiums were often weaker than tech-tree tanks, and what you got out of them was a different type of gameplay and more credits. Think old Lowe, that's what premiums should be in my opinion.

But no, now people just throw a fit if some new premium isn't at least on par with some tech tree equivalent (but preferably better in every way). And then often the very same people complain about power creep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
325
[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,127 posts
10,000 battles

It's great for farming potential (and actual) incoming fire damage. 

 

*kappa*

Edited by LancerUlysses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,015
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,118 posts
8,741 battles
13 minutes ago, vak_ said:

I really hate the mentality "premiums must be stronk". I still remember the time in WoT when premiums were often weaker than tech-tree tanks, and what you got out of them was a different type of gameplay and more credits. Think old Lowe, that's what premiums should be in my opinion.

But no, now people just throw a fit if some new premium isn't at least on par with some tech tree equivalent (but preferably better in every way). And then often the very same people complain about power creep.

If they actually buff them a bit, a small buff here and a small buff there, I think that slightly under powered release is better than an over powered release as they don't like to nerf premiums. The Cossack really needs buffs as it is really a tier 7 in tier 8 so it really struggles when up tiered. The LT is so new that it is hard to say where and what should be buffed and what the players simply need to adapt to because it is not like any other DD in the game.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
2,815 posts
3,913 battles
23 minutes ago, Iron_Salvo921 said:

It was one of the fastest ships made. Premium ships 90% of the time are added into game because of their historical significance.

i'm still waiting for minas geraes BB,when she was finished,she was the most powerful battleship in the world. for some time?yes i think,her broadside was pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,655
[TBW]
Members
6,296 posts
11,856 battles

Not all ships can be OP. I hope they have it in Christmas crates, That and Roma, the only ones I don't have besides the unobtainable ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
121
[UFFA]
Members
514 posts
25 battles
35 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

They are adding it because of the future Marine Nationale (MN) DD line. They seem to be so afraid of releasing more over powered premiums now that they are instead releasing them under powered. Hopefully they will start minor buffing of them in future patches.

:Smile_great:

Seems like French destroyers are one of the top three candidates for the next three tech trees released. Russian battleships, British CVs and a tight race between Pan-EU something and French destroyers in my book. :etc_hide_turtle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,015
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,118 posts
8,741 battles
2 minutes ago, Sparviero said:

:Smile_great:

Seems like French destroyers are one of the top three candidates for the next three tech trees released. Russian battleships, British CVs and a tight race between Pan-EU something and French destroyers in my book. :etc_hide_turtle:

I would just set the RN CV's to the side until the rework is finished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
121
[UFFA]
Members
514 posts
25 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I would just set the RN CV's to the side until the rework is finished.

Three tech trees would get us into the second half of next year. I doubt the rework goes until Q42019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,582
[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles

Honestly, the question shouldn't be "why add Le Terrible?"  Adding the ship isn't a bad idea, in theory.  The problem is that I think that they did a poor job developing the ship.  

I really hate the main battery reload booster consumable, because it feels like the devs feel that they need to make whatever ship mounts it be overly weak when it's not in use.  Frankly, I'd rather have no gun reload booster and have the ship's guns reload faster all the time than have their reload be crappy except them you use the booster and then they reload at warp speed.  At least with the Aigle, whatever its other faults may be, it's a straight up, honest fast gunboat DD.  I really wish that they'd made Le Terrible more like the Aigle in this regard.  That is, given the Terrible a better normal gun reload, removed the reload booster and replaced it with either smoke or a heal.  Because right now, it seems like Le Terrible is a horrid mix of bad decisions.

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,582
[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
4 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I would just set the RN CV's to the side until the rework is finished.

I don't think that they need to set the RN CVs aside this way.  After all, they don't have to worry about their air groups until the rework is finished.  They can spend the time now working on the models of the carriers themselves, so that they'll be ready when the rework is complete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,287 posts
3,583 battles

It is better to release an underpowered ship and buff it later to buff to a better ship like going from mehbote to gudbote. This increases the future sale of said ship. It kills the future sales if something is op and then it get's nerfed later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,582
[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
Just now, landedkiller said:

It is better to release an underpowered ship and buff it later to buff to a better ship like going from mehbote to gudbote. This increases the future sale of said ship. It kills the future sales if something is op and then it get's nerfed later.

I agree with this.  But at the same time, they could have released it in an underpowered state while still making it more like the Aigle was when released (see my post on this above).  Right now, Le Terrible is drowning in bad gimmick decisions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,015
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,118 posts
8,741 battles
8 minutes ago, Sparviero said:

Three tech trees would get us into the second half of next year. I doubt the rework goes until Q42019.

 

6 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I don't think that they need to set the RN CVs aside this way.  After all, they don't have to worry about their air groups until the rework is finished.  They can spend the time now working on the models of the carriers themselves, so that they'll be ready when the rework is complete.

It seems that the modeling is mostly done so most of what remains are the plane & ship performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21
Members
56 posts
16 battles

Upon reflection and after a few games, I rather like what they're trying with Le Terrible. But then I was always that weird guy who really likes the Aigle.

To me the play style of these ships is quite interesting. I find myself having to read the map in a new way, and change the entire style mid-game depending on the tactical situation (sometimes playing backup to a low-concealment DD, being a "pure" DD if no enemy DD's are present, and sometimes in effect being a CL). I play these ships and the experience is something unique -- this is a good thing.

I wouldn't say no to a small buff. I wonder if the late-war fit with Bofors and Oerlikons wouldn't be fine -- it'd kind of reinforce that pseudo-CL role.

Generally, I fundamentally appreciate that WG is willing to make a "mehbote" premium. If they're always "gud", you're almost certainly looking at power creep underway. And also, I also appreciate that they're willing to make a genuinely high-skill-floor ship. The RN BB's were the opposite end of the spectrum, and I think the common feeling is they weren't a good direction to go.
 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
400
[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,822 posts
3,502 battles
1 hour ago, Jaybirdslayergaming said:

unless you spec for concealment

Which is what you should be doing anyway...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43
[DENY]
Members
154 posts
6,506 battles

Sure, the ship would be better with 10K torps or some other buffs, but the ship does well if you know how to fire shells with high arcs. Being so fast that a DM can't train his guns on you in a cap is hilarious. You could just feel the, "I'm going to slaughter that stupid DD, wth!!!" 

Slaming mega torps into ships at .5 K is also hilarious.

BTW, with AFT, still experimenting with builds, I have no trouble hitting BBs at max range and can even land hits on CAs at max range.

What's hardest for me, is remembering to use MBR. I don't think I've had a match where I've used all the charges.

The biggest drawback is you need way too many captain skills to make the ship viable, and 19 points isn't enough, you have to seriously compromise someplace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×