You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Survivor Saturday - Your Toughest Ship

33 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
792 posts
5,792 battles

634px-Damaged_USS_San_Francisco_%28CA-38

*pictured - USS San Francisco (CA-38) with heavy shell damage after the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal (circles indicate direct hits from IJN destroyers and cruisers) arriving in San Francisco Bay*

Which ship in your fleet finds a way to both accomplish the mission and survive the battle?

As both fleets engage in fierce and lethal gunfire and torpedo exchanges, survival rates drop significantly.

Among the ships in your port, there are a few that stand out as ones that not are able to withstand blistering fire and torpedo attacks but can bring home a victory as well.

Of all of the warships you command, which one makes it back to port with a proud crew boasting "Mission Accomplished"?

"This ship is built to fight. You had better know how." - Arleigh Burke, US Navy

#survivorsaturday

#anchorsaweigh

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,378 posts
7,971 battles

Kami clones (cause they almost never see me)

Actual toughness - DoY, Arizona, NM, Musashi, Warspite. 

That said, survival rates on those that aren't the Kami clones is still pretty low given my more aggressive play style and the fact that I'd rather lose and be sunk as I fight than lose and pad my survival stat. 

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,514 posts
6,677 battles
1 hour ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Which ship in your fleet finds a way to both accomplish the mission and survive the battle?

Do I state the obvious?

I have a bad, sneaky (naughty?) feeling, that every answer to every daily question by @Gneisenau013 is the same.

• Funny 1

[TBW]
Members
6,349 posts
11,894 battles

My survival rate is atrocious, I may be a bit too aggressive in any ships. Texas and Arizona come to mind, they tend to be late to the fight due to speed.

• Cool 1

Members
1,246 posts
20,643 battles

There's a photo in Wiki of USS New Orleans with her bow gone from in front of B turret.

• Cool 1

[KRAK]
Members
943 posts
13,070 battles

Khab is the most rugged ship IMO at least for me it is.

• Cool 1

[KNTAI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,106 posts
3 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

As both fleets engage in fierce and lethal gunfire and torpedo exchanges, survival rates drop significantly.

For me that would be the Yamato and the Izumo hands down.

Yamato's known for its high health pool. She does have a vulnerable citadel, but if you play carefully and don't expose yourself to too much fire at once, you can really get a ton of effective hitpoints out of her. And her gunnery speaks for itself.

Izumo... is not a boat I liked much overall, but her armor is unquestionably very good. It's interesting to watch other BBs struggle to decide how to deal with you, when they realize they just cannot penetrate your armor no matter what they do. Of course... she's all too vulnerable to HE spam. But versus AP, she's nigh invincible.

~

Lastly, if we don't mind travelling back in time, here's an odder one: pre-nerf Hiryuu. Excellent turning and speed for a CV. Played, and won, island games against many a ship hungry for a CV kill. I really miss that older playstyle.

• Cool 1

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
792 posts
5,792 battles
2 hours ago, slokill_1 said:

There's a photo in Wiki of USS New Orleans with her bow gone from in front of B turret.

I think this is it:

744px-NewOrleansTulagiBowMissing.jpg

Battle of Tassafronga - a torpedo hit detonated the A turret magazine and blew it clean off. She managed to stay afloat somehow and limped back to Tulagi and eventually Sydney, Australia for repairs.

She sailed all the way from Sydney to Bremerton, WA in reverse with a temporary bow until she could be completely repaired and refitted in Puget Sound.

Temporary_bow_fitted_to_USS_New_Orleans.

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction." - Oliver P. Smith, US Marine Corps

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 2

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles

Boise pulling into Philadelphia,  still smoking from a magazine fire/semi-explosion at the Battle of Cape Esperance, having sailed from the South Pacific under her own power.

Image result for uss boise smoking pic

• Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,635 posts
14,025 battles

Clarification regarding Zao.

She's not exceptionally armored.  What she has is speed, gun range, excellent shell flight characteristics, powerful all-around shell selection, long range torpedoes, and more importantly IJN CA Ninja Concealment.  Zao users have options to engage as they see fit.

- Spam at range.

- Sneak in for 12km torpedo drops.

- Flanking maneuvers.

- Kite using both guns and torpedoes at various ranges.

Etc.

All through this, the Zao player can simply elect to withold gunfire and "Go Dark" if the situation calls for it.

- You want to maneuver somewhere to get a better attack position?  Go Dark and move there undetected easily.  Hindenburg, Henri IV, etc. with bad concealment don't sneak around as easily.

- You're spamming shells at some Montana, Yamato at 17-18km.  However, you notice those BB shells are landing a bit too close for comfort on a regular basis.  Go Dark and cease the engagement, change the plans up because the BB is going to get lucky real soon.  Easy to do with Ninja concealment.

- Oh hey!  Some Worcester is camping smoke dropped for it by one of his teammate DDs and is now spamming shells.  Go Dark with Zao and drop torpedoes against the smoke pattern at 10-12km, above Worcester's radar range, and give him a taste of Nippon Steel Folded 1000x.  Drop both sides of torps for extra "Made in Japan" presents.  And they'll never detect you.

- Do a passing attack with Zao, firing shells to get a reaction from the reds, drop torpedoes in anticipation of such reactions, and then Go Dark.

- The group you were with just lost.  You are the last ship and there's a big rush of reds behind you.  Some of which are very fast.  Simply speed away and use Zao's concealment to save you and fight again later.  It's easier to do this with Zao's sub-10km detection range than Hindenburg and Henri IV's BB concealment.

Amazing concealment gives Zao lots of options.  It's not even my most played Tier X Cruiser.  Des Moines is for me.  Yet even for someone like me who has played Zao here and there enough times, but not enough to truly be in tune with her, I still manage a high ridiculously high Survival % with her.  My DM dies a lot.  My "Battleship" Hindenburg isn't much better.  And when you look at my ships with high Battles played, Zao is the abnormally high Survival % one, and I still win decently with her.

I can only imagine what it's like for the dedicated, good players that lean on Zao.  The guys really in tune with her.  Everybody talks about Hindenburg, but Zao is the only Tier X Cruiser that is as dangerous spamming shells from long range as she is when undetected dropping long ranged torps into people.  The Zao you don't see is just as lethal as the one at long range burning people.

Sometimes the "toughest" ship, the one that survives, is the one that can more easily control when she wants to be seen.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,386 posts

Usually, it's my Dunkerque when I go bow-on and charge

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,218 posts
6,433 battles

Stalingrad provided I can angle properly. Suddenly even the almighty Yamato deals little to no damage.

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
2,371 posts
14,643 battles

Interestingly enough Le Terrible right now.  If you got problems hitting a Khaba with engine boost, trying hitting a  Meep! Meep! running at 43 knots ( no engine boost). Try it again at 54.5 knots (with engine boost).

• Cool 1

Members
3,643 posts
13,502 battles

BBs; Grober Kurfurst and Scharnhorst.

Cruisers; Hindenberg, Graf Spee, and Prinz Eugen.

DDs; None of them seem to be notably tougher than others to me.

Edited by ReddNekk
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,964 posts
6,451 battles
5 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

744px-NewOrleansTulagiBowMissing.jpg

it never fails to amaze me how ships can take that kind of damage, and make it back to a port under their own power

Edited by tcbaker777
  • Cool 1

Members
2,412 posts
2,213 battles

To memory, I'd say Alabama when not playing like a yutz. Perth and Huang He has equally made me play safer, or lean on crawling smoke too much, but i've dodged a fair amount of stuff in it. In general though, the Leander Class ships treat me well. 

Spoiler

OeG1Iwj.jpg

Survived both battles with under 90 - 10hp

7egd1rn.jpg

• Cool 1

[KKM]
Members
668 posts
8,813 battles

Tirpitz has taken a pounding for me and won the day, Warspite is similar,  Hindenburg is a beast ship.  Khaba and the Tashkent I run heal on both and both have taken beatings and won the day for me

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
Members
852 posts
4,668 battles
6 hours ago, mavfin87 said:

Boise pulling into Philadelphia,  still smoking from a magazine fire/semi-explosion at the Battle of Cape Esperance, having sailed from the South Pacific under her own power.

Image result for uss boise smoking pic

Interestingly enough, Nueve de Julio is my own HMS Unsinkable. I seem to have the trick of angling just enough for everyone to spam HE at it, and I am certain they replaced the aircraft hanger with a Bag of Holding with an entire shipyard stashed inside...

Full tank build Arizona is a distant second.

Matt

• Cool 1

[RMRGD]
Members
175 posts
16,728 battles

Cruisers = Mosvka easily - 3million+ potential games not common.  And that's awesome for even BBs

Batthelships = Bismark/Tirpitz/Sharnhorst =  The german mid tier ships are god like in taking fire. 

• Cool 1