You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_LoneWolf13_

How many co-op battles?

15 comments in this topic

Members
29 posts
99 battles

I recently heard that you should play 500 Co op battles before you start playing random or ranked.For experience, is this true.:cap_hmm:

Edited by _LoneWolf13_
  • Cool 1

[GOATS]
Members
8 posts
3,640 battles

I'd just stick to random battle.  I never found coop very challenging or interesting except to complete some odd mission requirement.

[CIAO]
Members
363 posts
17,888 battles

It's not a bad idea. Having said that co-op is a different game than randoms. I would suggest testing new ships in co-op before taking them into randoms. I would avoid rushing up one ship line and getting hammered in tiers higher than your skill point. That just gets frustrating. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,541 posts
3,731 battles

I've never heard of a minimum battle requirement for co op before going for randoms by others.

The most common one I heard is having a minimum battles before advancing ahead towards tier 10.

[LOU1]
Members
2,844 posts
7,974 battles

PvE can be very good for getting to know your ship.  As far as technique, though, PvE is very different from PvP.  For instance, in PvE the bots tend to YOLO fearlessly and make easy targets after you start to learn their patterns.  In PvP, opposing players will(usually) not charge blindly into your line of fire.  I play PvE to get used to a ship or when I do not feel 100% for some reason.  It can also be a quick way to knock out some missions - the Mino in PvE can do many hits/ribbons missions in one PvE battle.  The downside of this is that too much PvE means it takes me more time to readjust to PvP.

[STK]
Members
40 posts
4,902 battles

There is no such mandatory requirement. You can play random battle as soon as you reach service record 3 or 4 (can't remember exactly). After that it is at your own discretion to play which mode. Even you choose to play random battles, you are put in a protected matchmaking where bots are still filled in games and you won't meet seal clubbers playing T3 with 19-point captains, until you reach service record 11.

The only thing matters is that as a brand new player, playing random sometimes can be very hard due to the deep learning curve of wows.If you feel really bad about being defeated constantly, you can go co-op to exercise the basic skills. For example, aiming, angling and how to choose ammo type, etc. In this way, you are better prepared for random games. Then after certain level you can start to try ranked battle where players shall play for objectives and win (although many times it is just another RANDOM mode).

In short, it all depends on how you'd like to play. With bots for ease, or with humans for competitive.

Edited by Judadiao

[WOLF6]
Members
660 posts
3,553 battles

Protected matchmaking for new accounts ends at account level 11 or when you queue up with a tier 4 ship for a random battle.

i would actually say that if you stayed in coop for 500 games that would actually impede your progression because you haven’t learned how to play against humans who don’t play the same way bots play.

stay in coop long enough to get familiar with game mechanics.

Edited by wtfovr

Members
3,403 posts
6,063 battles

No set number - I wish I would have done more coop when I was new to the game.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,118 posts
8,741 battles

What I would say is more important is to not race up the tiers. Learn each ship well before moving up.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,314 posts
10,106 battles
1 hour ago, _LoneWolf13_ said:

I recently heard that you should play 500 Co op battles before you start playing random or ranked.For experience, is this true.:cap_hmm:

Well, as a Co-op main (9600+ games vs just 171 PVP) I would tell you if you want to play PVP to start it as soon as the game allows (you have to reach a certain point in your service record to get to Randoms). That doesn't mean you can't still play Co-op if you enjoy it just that if you want to play PVP modes get into them right away. This will start you on a track to be better at PVP at the beginning.

I say that for a very simple reason too. That reason is the shooting. It is MUCH harder to hit in PVP modes than Co-op. When I do play PVP (rare these days) I struggle with that part of it. Many will tell you there are a lot of other differences as well but there really aren't. The game is the game at it's core but shooting; now that is very different. The only other difference is a thinking human opponent vs a scripted AI and that Co-op is very fast paced, aggressive, and always a brawl whereas PVP is more passive and chess like. You don't want to play PVP like you do Co-op (or vice versa actually). PVP is harder but overall is the same base game.

So again, play Co-op if you enjoy it, to try new ships, for missions, etc... Any reason is ok and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. BUT if you also want to play PVP I highly recommend getting right into it asap so you learn the required shooting skills. Even with almost 10K games under my belt were I to ever go back to PVP it would take me a long time to hone my shooting skills and I would struggle at 1st. I have tons of T10's but I would have to start over around T6 (where I stopped playing PVP) and learn my way up to T10 in PVP.

Co-op teaches the core, basic, game skills. Then you learn how to maximize for the mode you are in through experience playing there. Co-op only helps so much for PVP play so get into PVP as soon as you can if that is where you want to go.

:Smile_honoring:

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 4

[WOLF9]
Members
1,013 posts
1 hour ago, _LoneWolf13_ said:

You are just starting out, which means ships with low xp costs to upgrade and to advance up the tech tree. In other words, your ships are changing rapidly, so I would take the ship to coop any time I made such a change, to see what effect it has. Coop is a more forgiving environment to get to know the capabilities and limitations of your ships, and, just as importantly, of the other ships in the game.

• Cool 1

[TF16B]
Members
8,025 posts
16,967 battles
46 minutes ago, Judadiao said:

In short, it all depends on how you'd like to play. With bots for ease, or with humans for competitive.

Seconding what Judadiao said in his whole post, and what @AdmiralThunder said in his.

I started playing Co-op LOTS more because of depression after my dad died, and so I could actually play my carriers, (I got sick of being Strafed to death.)

To answer the question I originally thought your post title meant; 7,500 or so; my PvP is about 8,500, and several hundreds each of Ops and Ranked.

• Cool 1

[CTF80]
[CTF80]
Members
4,196 posts
10,133 battles

Co-op is good for the soul; especially after a day of lemmings, potatoes, and teamkillers.

• Funny 2

[NPG]
Members
55 posts
1,846 battles

Co op is nice for new ships you unlocked. It can give you a good chance to learn the trajectories of you guns and a good chance to see what extra modules you want to slap on the ship for pvp. Also you have a little more breathing room to see what short comings your ship will have. I have made the mistake before of looking at rudder shift on some of the ships and thinking "Eh that's slow but I can adapt" but once I got in game realized just how slow it really was way too late.

• Cool 1