You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Smert

T10 free play meant to be impossible?

84 comments in this topic

[-WTP-]
Members
9 posts
2,976 battles

Ok so I'm not the best player out there, not even close, but in general I can hold my own. I have grind-ed my way to two T10 ships and have a third T10 ship unlocked and never spent a cent on the game. Yes I agree if one gets enough entertainment out of something it is well worth contributing to financially, but that's not what this post is about.

I'm wondering if T10 isn't just a little, or sometimes a lot, too harsh in terms of XP and most importantly credit rewards vs cost. Anyone else have an opinion?

Attached a match result where I ranked 4th in my team and my team lost, but looking at the raw numbers I felt I was at the very least pulling my weight in the GK: almost 3 mil potential damage, and most of the damage I dealt was against two T10 BBs that ganged up on me, and a capture for good measure ... in a GK ... that is a pretty decent effort imo, and yet I could not even break even, made a loss in terms of credits.

So sitting here wondering W-T-F

wgwtf.jpg

[INTEL]
Members
8,432 posts
25,306 battles

The answer to your question is, of course, no. 

Premium time is not expensive. Neither is a premium ship that you can use to grind out credits at a lower tier. 

Good luck!

[-WTP-]
Members
9 posts
2,976 battles
11 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Premium time is not expensive. Neither is a premium ship that you can use to grind out credits at a lower tier

Premium time would just be a bit of a waste in my case I think. Some weeks I play around 5 battles every day, some weeks I only play a few times and only on one or two days so premium time would get wasted.

Now if premium time was available for "x number of battles" instead of just "x number of days" I'd be opening that wallet ...

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
783 posts
4,734 battles

Back in the dark ages when things like repair costs were a thing the losses were significantly worse.  A wise someone or another said it best then, and it still applies now.  I'll paraphrase:

"Tier X matches are your hobby, Tier VI-VIII are your job."

The credit fees are steep on purpose to dissuade folks from only playing Tier X.  There's lots of (in many cases more enjoyable) gameplay to be found at the mid tiers.  If players want to spend all their time at X, then they're welcome to be either very good at it, or spend a little bit to make it feasible to play nothing but.

-R

[WOLFC]
Members
148 posts
13,552 battles

You could always purchase some economic flags from the premium shop then equip them on the ships you want when you want.

Even so, unless you're consistently on the winning team and substantially contributing to the win, expect to lose credits at tier 10.

I fund my tier 10 matches by playing mid tier games. A lot easier to earn credits at the lower tiers. Even if you aren't prepared to spend money on a premium ship, buy one using coal in the Arsenal or go for the next one WG offers through missions. As Taichunger said, they tend to earn you more credits than tech tree ships.

• Cool 1

[KRAK]
Members
941 posts
13,036 battles
31 minutes ago, Admiral_Smert said:

Ok so I'm not the best player out there, not even close, but in general I can hold my own. I have grind-ed my way to two T10 ships and have a third T10 ship unlocked and never spent a cent on the game. Yes I agree if one gets enough entertainment out of something it is well worth contributing to financially, but that's not what this post is about.

I'm wondering if T10 isn't just a little, or sometimes a lot, too harsh in terms of XP and most importantly credit rewards vs cost. Anyone else have an opinion?

Attached a match result where I ranked 4th in my team and my team lost, but looking at the raw numbers I felt I was at the very least pulling my weight in the GK: almost 3 mil potential damage, and most of the damage I dealt was against two T10 BBs that ganged up on me, and a capture for good measure ... in a GK ... that is a pretty decent effort imo, and yet I could not even break even, made a loss in terms of credits.

wgwtf.jpg

T10 is designed this way to try to force premium time sales. You will never turn a profit in T10  without a premium camo or a premium time account.

Edited by Vaffu

[-WTP-]
Members
9 posts
2,976 battles
11 minutes ago, Mister_Rawr said:

Tier X matches are your hobby, Tier VI-VIII are your job

Sage advice :cap_old:

fwiw that was with a ship equipped with Ocean Soul plus a few economic flags, I still play mostly T8 and will continue to do so, enjoying the Kiev and Bismarck too much to ever stop

this particular match just struck me as "the man is really taking the pi55 here", I pulled my weight and even if I had premium I'd scrape by with 30k profit in credits, that dog won't hunt!

Edited by Admiral_Smert

[ARGSY]
Members
5,794 posts
3,966 battles
10 minutes ago, Mister_Rawr said:

Back in the dark ages when things like repair costs were a thing the losses were significantly worse.  A wise someone or another said it best then, and it still applies now.  I'll paraphrase:

The credit fees are steep on purpose to dissuade folks from only playing Tier X.  There's lots of (in many cases more enjoyable) gameplay to be found at the mid tiers.  If players want to spend all their time at X, then they're welcome to be either very good at it, or spend a little bit to make it feasible to play nothing but.

-R

And even Tier VIII can get nasty if you don't do well.

I calculated a short time ago that dying a few seconds into the match with no gains, no cost mitigation camo/flags and all premium consumables fitted can easily cost your Tier X ship 270,000, and that seems to fit with OP's loss figures as they were carrying flags.

It's horrific. The only benefit of reaching Tier X is that there's nothing above it to soak up more credits, which is just as well, because I can easily imagine the basic Tier 11 hull costing north of 35 million and the hypothetical seventh consumable slot costing five million on its own. And God only knows what the running costs would be like. Probably not less than 250,000 basic per game and ten thousand per missile, of which a Talos-conversion Baltimore carries about a hundred and eighty (and you WILL use them because the Talos Baltimores had exactly the same gun armament as a B-hull Monaghan)... :Smile_coin: Imagine spamming Missouri games just to keep your "C hull Baltimore" running. 

[SCCC]
Members
206 posts
11,672 battles

I mostly play tier 10 and seem to accumulate credits with a standard account.  I doubt it would work well if you are grinding several lines but once you are no longer accumulating ships it's not tough to at least pull even.

• Cool 1

[-WTP-]
Members
9 posts
2,976 battles
Just now, rabidrabit said:

I mostly play tier 10 and seem to accumulate credits with a standard account.  I doubt it would work well if you are grinding several lines but once you are no longer accumulating ships it's not tough to at least pull even.

Valid point, GK is the first T10 I'm comfortable playing in, I mostly don't lose that many credits with it, but still ...

I only have the Moskva to buy still in terms of T10 for now, then things might settle down, plus I desperately need to figure out my Khaba :cap_hmm: I'm pretty handy in the Kiev and even though I hated the Tashkent I did alright, now that I have my ultimate goal in DD I suck so bad it is embarrassing and E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E.

[MIA-A]
Members
1,971 posts
6,570 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Smert said:

wgwtf.jpg

Try shooting CAs and DDs. You will find that even though your damage numbers go down, your credit gains will go up.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
936 posts
6,351 battles

The population of tier 10s in game is too high already. It's the reason tier 8 MM absolutely BLOWS right now. If anything tier 10 should be more expensive to run, to force players into lower tiers to finance their tier 10s. 

• Cool 2

[SBS]
Members
2,420 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, Gen_Saris said:

The population of tier 10s in game is too high already. It's the reason tier 8 MM absolutely BLOWS right now. If anything tier 10 should be more expensive to run, to force players into lower tiers to finance their tier 10s. 

Or T10 should be less expensive to play and you can all T10 matches.

• Cool 1

[KRAK]
Members
941 posts
13,036 battles
3 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

T10 is expensive to run, very expensive.  T10 is not overpopulated if that were the case no T8 would ever see a T10 match because they would have T10's to take their spots.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
936 posts
6,351 battles
Just now, Slimeball91 said:

Or T10 should be less expensive to play and you can all T10 matches.

More tier 10 players aren't going to solve the tier 8 MM problem. 

[HINON]
Members
2,567 posts
18,581 battles

so we agree that there is a tier 8 MM problem?? Because some people don't like to think so. lol

• Cool 1

[SBS]
Members
2,420 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, Gen_Saris said:

More tier 10 players aren't going to solve the tier 8 MM problem. 

Its would be an improvement.

[H_]
Members
700 posts

OP.......  WG is making money first and what you think comes a distant second....  It's not P2W............the paradigm is P2E : pay to exist.

We are losing new players to this paradigm.  I only stayed because I have personal friends playing whom invited me to play.  Otherwise, I'd be LONG GONE....because of the counter-intuitive cost structure WG has created.  It's point blank stupid to have a cost structure and grind that becomes cost ineffective to do at the optimal levels of game play?!?!?!   WG should be encouraging players to grind UP; not put them in a position where they simply can not afford to grind.....

the only way is to:  PAY to PLAY.......  and, even that doesn't negate losing a lot of value each and every match if fate, or luck, or less than competent team mates, or stupid personal decisions gets you wiped out in the first 5 minutes....you'll lose money each and every match.   There is no room for "average players" at tiers 8 through 10 and that is a HUGE mistake..............WG will only see diminishing returns on this process.....

I would not be here except for my friends playing and I "had to buy PT" just to get where I am.....  You have to pay to play in this game......it's designed that way.  Pay or leave.......it's a choice.  A sad one I might add and totally a dumb one.

Edited by Asym_KS
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 2

Beta Testers
2,831 posts
4,033 battles
1 hour ago, Mister_Rawr said:

IMAGINE if people followed that advice. then they have the balls to say "we should lower the cost of tier 10" so they can bully the tier8 more.

Edited by Cruxdei

[SPCU]
Members
78 posts
3,678 battles

Since mighty MO is gone your next best bet for free is musashi to grind credits... for free if you have dubloons from crates or events a permacamo for t10 works quite well. Otherwise t7 life is best... the meta is also more fun down there. Gnies is awaiting you with open arms.:cap_like:

[DANKY]
Members
433 posts
1,562 battles

Short answer, yes, and it's meant to be.  I don't know about overpopulation, rather, the way I see it that's the tax you pay for the right to ensure you're top tier in every game.  That premium camo with its economic benefits is probably the closest thing to a P2W system you can find, since it lets players ensure they're top tier and still make a decent credit income.  I try to play free but I fell to that temptation. 

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
225 posts
2,001 battles

I've found that Tier VII, like many others on these boards, is the sweet spot for both matchmaking/creditmaking.  My Nagato gets favorable matchups much of the time and doesn't lose too much credits if I have a bad day even when I forget to toss a camo on it.  Tier VIII is just a world of pain if you don't have some form of premium (ships/time/camo). 

Tier IX/X?   Premium time with premium camo is darn near mandatory.  Yeah, I bought premium camo for Izumo (a ship I don't even like) just to keep the credit expenses down.  All just to grind up and get the crown jewel of BBs: Yamato, which will probably bankrupt my credits just trying to drive it.

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
753 posts
6,842 battles

WG wants you to buy the premuim camo for your tier 10's.

With the 5000 doubloon camo, you can even make a profit in co-op....

Just saying...

[BOTES]
Members
137 posts
3,108 battles

T10 is only an endgoal if you set it as such, find ships are that fun at whatever tier you feel like playing. If you really want to make a profit at t10, grind out doubloons from all the events WG has and buy yourself a t10 camo.

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles

T10 was never intended to be spammed.  People cried their way into spamming t10's they are not qualified to play via economy changes and perma camos.  It's not as bad as it was, so if you are losing money, you need to spend time in lower tiers farming credits and improving.

• Cool 1