You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Incendiary_Tanker

Why do we like ships? (Aesthetically)

17 comments in this topic

Members
1,334 posts
1,343 battles

Warships, what is it about them that we find them so pleasing to look at? Is it their large imposing and warlike look? Their sleek slender lines? This has been a question I've been asking myself lately and honestly I don't really have an answer. Though I find many of my favourite ships have very specific bridge styles, are symmetrical and tend to have thin beams. 

What about you guys? What is it about these ships that catch our eyes? 

Members
1,871 posts
5,656 battles

For me, it's the little details that serve to distinguish a ship from her sisters and others of her class and navy. It adds a sort of personality that reflects their history, as if the ship is talking to all those that step onboard.

USS Missouri, for instance, has a little plaque indicating where World War II ended, while her sister Iowa has a bathtub (indeed, one of a very small handful of ships that even had one) since FDR traveled on her to the Tehran conference (since obviously the crippled president couldn't exactly use a shower).

Many of these ships have their own personal tragedies and triumphs that, while not usually prominently displayed, are visible to those that take the time to notice certain unique features.  USS Hornet (CV-12), for instance, has quite a few ghosts that the museum staff and former crew are quite happy to tell the stories of and a Yamato silhouette on the walls, while USS Intrepid (CV-11) has the space shuttle Enterprise exhibited there as well as a memorial wall for all that died while she was in active service (not to mention being the ship where John McCain started his flying career).

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,386 posts

I grew up on a healthy diet of aircraft, but acquired a taste for ships when I more closely examined their curves.

ac3.png

• Funny 1

Members
368 posts
5,770 battles

I really can't put my finger on one single reason.   Especially planes and ships. I arranged my entire vacation around the moving of the Iowa from Benecia thru the Golden Gate Bridge.  I know that it's a weapon of war but I don't think about that when I see them.  Maybe it's the history that's part of the attraction for me.  When I toured the North Carolina I was rattling off facts in my mind while I stared like a fanboy at the guns and , well, everything.  Interestingly I get the same feeling from seeing the Empire State Building or the Space shuttle.  It's just a weird thing that I can't really explain.  When I was a kid my dad used to take me over to Travis A.F.B. and we'd park off highway 12 and watch the B-52's do touch and go.  It was amazing to watch these giant aircraft move so gracefully through the air even though halfway around the globe these same aircraft were raining destruction on South East Asia.  But that fact never crossed my mind.

So short answer, I don't know.  But I really do like them.

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,218 posts
6,433 battles

It‘s kind of like it is with humans. There is not one formula where you add certain values and at the end get a number which will tell you how good a ship looks. It‘s all up to the individual taste of the viewer.

I personally have a sweet spot for this German type of superstructure and arrangement, where you have a few turrets, then a rangefinder on top of the armored conning tower, then have the bridge and all on top another rangefinder, then the funnel(s), the rear armored conning tower with another rangefinder and then the rear turrets. It just feels so good to me.

[BLHK]
Members
303 posts
3,331 battles
7 hours ago, Incendiary_Tanker said:

Warships, what is it about them that we find them so pleasing to look at? Is it their large imposing and warlike look? Their sleek slender lines? This has been a question I've been asking myself lately and honestly I don't really have an answer. Though I find many of my favourite ships have very specific bridge styles, are symmetrical and tend to have thin beams. 

I grew up reasonably close to one of Australia's major naval bases. Often my father would take me down to see the ships berthed, and on occasion those ships would have public access. I guess I just fell in love with the power and technology on display.

From ascetic point of view I prefer busy looking ships, so the newer classes of various missile ships look very plain to my eye. Ending with the my downright dislike for the entire family of littoral ships.   

[SPTR]
Members
25,680 posts
10,836 battles

I like my ships to look tough and fast at the same time so fast battleships comes to my mind Iowas are a very good example of this.

Beta Testers
9,048 posts

They say that men have a subconscious psychological association of beauty with penile shapes as the representation of masculinity in its purest form.  Like missile and rockets erected and pointed upwards, aircraft and submarines.  Or tanks with long cannons.  Or ships with long cannons.  Could that explain ships too?

Edited by Eisennagel

Alpha Tester
4,736 posts
2,411 battles
9 hours ago, Incendiary_Tanker said:

For the same reason people like classic American cars: They're gigantic, ultra-powerful pieces of metal that have no subtlety whatsoever, instead opting to show off their bad*ssery in full view and dare anyone foolish enough to want to challenge them to take their shot.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
5,979 posts
2,203 battles
8 hours ago, MG1962 said:

my downright dislike for the entire family of littoral ships.   

Not my favorites either - when sitting still.  But there are videos of these babies in action.  They are outrageously fast and maneuverable.  And if they can keep the :etc_swear: weapons systems working, they're pretty lethal, too.  Beauty of a different type.

[PSP]
Members
6,042 posts
8,585 battles

A lot of people have romantic notions of things that they wish they could do but cannot. They see the tall ships of yore and dream of joining their crews, sailing the oceans, braving its perils and visiting distant lands, which is many a young man's dream. Of course, the reality of those ships was brutal officers and crew; oftentimes arbitrary punishments; cold, wet, and dangerous work; little in the way of health care; bad food and water; vitamin deficiency, scurvy and disease; piracy, war, fire, rot, sinking, shipwreck, and death. Never get too close to your dreams, they are best desired from afar.

The dream:

TSG-Picton-Castle.jpg  

The reality:

scurvy.jpg

Woodcut_Print_of_Keelhauling.jpg

scene_cockpit-after-battle.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
4,736 posts
2,411 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

A lot of people have romantic notions of things that they wish they could do but cannot. The see the tall ships of yore and dream of joining their crews, sailing the oceans, braving its perils and visiting distant lands is many a young man's dream. Of course, the reality of those ships was brutal officers and crew; oftentimes arbitrary punishments; cold, wet, and dangerous work; little in the way of health care; bad food and water; vitamin deficiency, scurvy and disease; piracy, war, fire, rot, sinking, shipwreck, and death. Never get too close to your dreams, they are best desired from afar.

The dream:

TSG-Picton-Castle.jpg  

The reality:

scurvy.jpg

Woodcut_Print_of_Keelhauling.jpg

scene_cockpit-after-battle.jpg

The coolest tall ship in the world, in my opinion, is the Cutty Sark. To have been able to see her in her heyday is something I'd have loved, but I'd never want to be on her during that time. She sailed in the roughest seas on the planet in some of the worst weather on the planet, and her lower deck and crew quarters were meant for people much, MUCH shorter than my 6 foot 5 self.

[PSP]
Members
6,042 posts
8,585 battles
1 hour ago, 1Sherman said:

The coolest tall ship in the world, in my opinion, is the Cutty Sark. To have been able to see her in her heyday is something I'd have loved, but I'd never want to be on her during that time. She sailed in the roughest seas on the planet in some of the worst weather on the planet, and her lower deck and crew quarters were meant for people much, MUCH shorter than my 6 foot 5 self.

When I was a kid I thought the ship's name was the Cutty Shark, which seemed to be appropriate considering the damage that sharks' teeth can do.

[BLHK]
Members
303 posts
3,331 battles
12 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

A lot of people have romantic notions of things that they wish they could do but cannot. They see the tall ships of yore and dream of joining their crews, sailing the oceans, braving its perils and visiting distant lands, which is many a young man's dream. Of course, the reality of those ships was brutal officers and crew; oftentimes arbitrary punishments; cold, wet, and dangerous work; little in the way of health care; bad food and water; vitamin deficiency, scurvy and disease; piracy, war, fire, rot, sinking, shipwreck, and death. Never get too close to your dreams, they are best desired from afar.

The thing is compared to conditions onshore it was not that bad a life at all.

Alpha Tester
4,736 posts
2,411 battles
20 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

When I was a kid I thought the ship's name was the Cutty Shark, which seemed to be appropriate considering the damage that sharks' teeth can do.

Then when you find out later that she was actually named after women's underwear you're like :Smile_amazed:.

• Funny 1