Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Prkl8r

Thing that feels the most off to me about RN DDs.

12 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
494 posts
1,266 battles

To me the super high firing arcs feel the worst of any aspect of these ships. They make trying to hit anything other than a BB at long range almost impossible.

I feel like the American arcs are better by a lot.

If they just changed those arcs I think the line would feel much better to play.

[SDIWO]
Members
1,031 posts
5,231 battles
1 minute ago, Prkl8r said:

To me the super high firing arcs feel the worst of any aspect of these ships. They make trying to hit anything other than a BB at long range almost impossible.

If they just changed those arcs I think the line would feel much better to play.

As someone who hated them at first....give it time. The best thing that will happen is you'll get used to them and you will be used to them and you'll be scoring hits non-stop with them...and suddenly the USN arcs will feel likes childs play.

Edited by LubzinNJ

Beta Testers
494 posts
1,266 battles
2 minutes ago, LubzinNJ said:

As someone who hated them at first....give it time. The best thing that will happen is you'll get used to them and you will be used to them and you'll be scoring hits non-stop with them...and suddenly the USN arcs will feel likes childs play.

I mean, I don't hate them, they just feel like they have to work twice as hard for the same outcome.

I've gotten used to the torp range, you need to send torps at targets that are coming at you rather than from the side.

The guns, IDK they don't feel like they allow you to gun fight with other DDs, which is odd for a line that is labeled as DD hunting gunboats.

I feel like at least part of that is the arcs.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,651 posts
9,964 battles
8 minutes ago, Prkl8r said:

The Americans have better ballistics at T5-T7, but otherwise the RN shell flight times are pretty much superior.

My suspicion is that some of the RN ballistics 'feel' worse than they are, by using heavy shells at relatively low velocity. They retain velocity fairly well, but possibly still follow arcs, so they look bad. That said Daring gets a shell to 10km in 7.78s while Gearing's shells take 9.25s.

[SDIWO]
Members
1,031 posts
5,231 battles
Just now, Prkl8r said:

I mean, I don't hate them, they just feel like they have to work twice as hard for the same outcome.

I've gotten used to the torp range, you need to send torps at targets that are coming at you rather than from the side.

The guns, IDK they don't feel like they allow you to gun fight with other DDs, which is odd for a line that is labeled as DD hunting gunboats.

I feel like at least part of that is the arcs.

The guns aren't what make me feel like I can't gunfight other DDs, it's the lack of a speed boost to GTFO when things go sour...which they often do in gun fights with other DDs when their supporting cast is stronger/better than your own. That is what the smoke is for and why it is short lasting but quick coming back.

The biggest mistake I made with these DDs when I first took them out was treating them like they were your typical cap fighting American DDs....they're not. In lieu of long lasting smoke to help you stick around the cap for awhile you've got to treat them as...jabbers. Jab at the cap. Enemies there? Smoke and retreat. Jab back in. Enemies again? Smoke and retreat. Always be using those smoke times to dish out some damage. Take advantage of the single fire torps to create surprising spreads. British DDs aren't as easy to play as American ones as far as cap zones go but their play style is far more rewarding when it works out.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,299 posts
3,653 battles
6 minutes ago, mofton said:

The Americans have better ballistics at T5-T7, but otherwise the RN shell flight times are pretty much superior.

My suspicion is that some of the RN ballistics 'feel' worse than they are, by using heavy shells at relatively low velocity. They retain velocity fairly well, but possibly still follow arcs, so they look bad. That said Daring gets a shell to 10km in 7.78s while Gearing's shells take 9.25s.

If I'm not wrong, Lightning has ~40 m/s less than Jervis, yet a heavier shell helping with speed retention. Glad to see the 113mm ones follow this pattern.

[TF16B]
Members
8,039 posts
16,977 battles

Maybe I’ve practiced with Akizuki and USN destroyers too much; the arcs don’t seem to bother me at all.

Dakka gives plenty of time to get shots off, even with the short smoke, and with a properly planned exit and that hydro, you shouldn’t be getting smoke-torped, or ambushed if your sitting behind some rock to cap.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,651 posts
9,964 battles
6 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

If I'm not wrong, Lightning has ~40 m/s less than Jervis, yet a heavier shell helping with speed retention. Glad to see the 113mm ones follow this pattern.

Yep, a very heavy shell. Lightning's even better than Jutland/Daring. 7.69s to 10km.

[RKLES]
Members
7,093 posts
8,733 battles
45 minutes ago, LubzinNJ said:

The guns aren't what make me feel like I can't gunfight other DDs, it's the lack of a speed boost to GTFO when things go sour...which they often do in gun fights with other DDs when their supporting cast is stronger/better than your own. That is what the smoke is for and why it is short lasting but quick coming back.

The biggest mistake I made with these DDs when I first took them out was treating them like they were your typical cap fighting American DDs....they're not. In lieu of long lasting smoke to help you stick around the cap for awhile you've got to treat them as...jabbers. Jab at the cap. Enemies there? Smoke and retreat. Jab back in. Enemies again? Smoke and retreat. Always be using those smoke times to dish out some damage. Take advantage of the single fire torps to create surprising spreads. British DDs aren't as easy to play as American ones as far as cap zones go but their play style is far more rewarding when it works out.

Yeah I tried using them like USN DDs at first and was very mixed results or even distasteful. But once I figured out how to use them then they became one of my favorite DD lines since their playstyle suits me well.

Members
29 posts
2,511 battles

There are numerous things wrong with the RNDDs that make them less competitive. Can I make up for all their shortcomings by simply working around their limitations and being a better player than my opponents? Of course I can. But why would I when I can simply pick a superior ship and be even more effective.

The horrible trajectories make it more difficult to hit moving targets at range. Close in, the horrible turret arcs and the need for them to fully rotate through their entire arc when switching sides kills your effective on target DPS, plus you generally are only able to bring 2 of the 4 turrets to bear against a target unless you give your target full broadside. Which we all know is completely stupid. Worse yet are the torpedo arcs and the inability for the torp tubes to rotate 360 degrees. Every time you switch sides there's a huge delay wile your torp tubes rotate to the other side.

The Acasta and Icarus in particular are absolutely no match for other DDs of the same tier. The Nicholas will wreck either of them in short order, all other things being equal. No comparison.

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
750 posts
6,828 battles

The firing arcs never seemed as bad as the US DD's to me. I seem to have better luck hitting targets in the RN DD's...

[HELLS]
Members
1,684 posts
15,160 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

Lightning has a different 4.7-in gun with a 62-pound round and power loading. Jervis' 4.7 round weighs 50 lbs. The 4.5 in. in the Z and later classes were just as hard-hitiing as a USN 5/38 gun in real life. See Friedman's British Destroyers and Frigates: The Second World War and After.

Sign in to follow this