You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review #112 - Le Terrible

170 comments in this topic

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,543 posts
13,992 battles

Thanks for the work on this (Le) Terrible experience  :Smile_trollface:

Personally, I would hate seeing this DD on my team.  It will not, it cannot contest the caps.  Asashio has some weird compromises, but at least her players can snoop around caps and such.

Check out Kidd printing a new hull!

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Funny 1

[TASH]
Members
4,989 posts
7,875 battles

It's not Terrible I guess, but definitely not what we are used to in terms of a gudbote.

• Funny 1

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,332 posts
3,552 battles

What happens when players adjust to the speed? 

We all know that hitting a khab the first few times you meet it is difficult, but sooner or later we adapt and overcome and we can start gauging the lead with relative success 

So what happens when players start learning how to lead le terrible properly?

Just look at the RN DD's, AKA Noster's video. Individuals were saying you dint need IFHE , that AP was enough... Well I kept asking myself what happens when players realize this and just start giving the RN DD's  angles that they can't pen... Then it becomes a IFHE required boat as per Noster's video.. 

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,021 posts
7,604 battles
9 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

So what happens when players start learning how to lead le terrible properly?

I'm still waiting for players to learn how to select the right ammunition choice and not to hump the back line.  I think Le Terrible is safe from the general populace.  You'll always have to watch out for skilled players.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 4

Beta Testers
2,815 posts
3,913 battles
3 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I'm still waiting for players to learn how to select the right ammunition choice and not to hump the back line.  I think Le Terrible is safe from the general populace.  You'll always have to watch out for skilled players.

that applies to all ships.

[WG-CC]
9,021 posts
7,604 battles
Just now, Cruxdei said:

that applies to all ships.

Yep.  There's a reason I do well in Haida.  It's not because I'm particularly good -- it's because the majority of the playing populace hasn't figured out how to shoot into smoke.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,815 posts
3,913 battles
Just now, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Yep.  There's a reason I do well in Haida.  It's not because I'm particularly good -- it's because the majority of the playing populace hasn't figured out how to shoot into smoke.

are you going to remake the PEF review after today's nerfhammer?you released a sneak peak of her accuracy,.

[WG-CC]
9,021 posts
7,604 battles
1 minute ago, Cruxdei said:

are you going to remake the PEF review after today's nerfhammer?you released a sneak peak of her accuracy,.

Mm-hmm.  It's part of my normal review process -- stop and start all over again when something drastically changes.

Beta Testers
2,815 posts
3,913 battles
3 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Mm-hmm.  It's part of my normal review process -- stop and start all over again when something drastically changes.

my sweet P.E.F is now a t-61 2.0,with WV41 treatment.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,438 posts
6,631 battles

fun read, good tips for terrible dd drivers, fair reflection of my own experience with this ship since yesterday (though my slashing attack runs were more flailing wildly with a bendy foam sword than any steel cutlass slashing...)

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
224 posts
1,959 battles

Nice job and thanks.  After a lot of thinking, the raw speed is a very real temptation, as I tend to squeeze as much speed/acceleration as possible out of everything, including BBs.  DD racer with no smoke or heals with a hyper aggressive driver? What could possibly go wrong?

Anyway, I'll take a miss on this, as I have no high point French commanders.

[-BMV-]
Members
1,177 posts
5,538 battles

I would love to play around with a DD with main battery reload booster I just don't think I want to pay that much to do it. :( 

[SIM]
Members
2,416 posts
4,055 battles

Interesting review. Honestly, after seeing some of the early impressions, I suspected that Le Terrible would play like this. People who are used to playing traditional DDs, comfortably sitting in smoke clouds, were always going to struggle with this ship. That speed is for dodging, spoiling shots, and disengaging after the return fire gets too hot. The question was whether or not she had the firepower to pull that style of play off, and I’m glad to see that the answer is yes (though regrettably it’s locked behind the requirement of having a 12+ point captain). 

As an aside, it was almost funny watching how paralyzed that the community was to have this ship released without one of your excellent reviews to unpack it for us. I think that you’ve turned the corner from providing helpful, entertaining community content to producing something that’s damn near essential for World of Warships customers. I went ahead and pledged to your Patreon yesterday, and I hope that anyone who lives by the “Don’t Buy A Ship Until Mouse Reviews It” philosophy can find it in their budget to do the same. 

Edited by SkaerKrow
  • Cool 4

[WOLF3]
Members
5,866 posts
2,191 battles

In it's thinnest form in the Premium Shop Le Terrible costs ~$43.  Seems a lot.

• Cool 2

[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,389 posts
4,284 battles
48 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:
When I cornered Wargaming about it, they said "friction".  No properly lubed up lolibote should be using "friction" as an excuse to slow down the action when things are getting hot and heavy!

zAp2LzJ.jpg

Personally what vexes me isn't the ship itself, but the shady business practices that WG have used to finally introduce it. That Le Terrible is pretty terrible is fine. Imho it is acceptable that there are some premium duds from time to time, and the last thing the game needs is for each premium to be increasingly more broken than the last. The thing my negativity revolves around is that WG decided to sneak it to market in order to con hyped early adopters, who may not have bought it if CC reviews were available.

• Funny 4

[DRACS]
Members
3,338 posts

Nice! Although I'm surprised she even merits a 'mehbote' status. I'd label her as garbage unless she got a big buff to durability (i.e more hit points and a heal) to account for the loss of smoke. But I'm biased as my very favorite thing in the world to do in a DD is creep up to another DD and unleash hell. This means a DD needs some means of disengaging quickly should Priority Target light up like a Christmas tree. Le Terrible appears like she depends entirely on moving around quickly and being a dodge tank ... but even there, not so sure. Ships like the RU DDs succeed at that playstyle because they have amazingly accurate guns at long range as well as a smoke, heal, or both. And Khab has armor that makes her partly immune to HE fire. Le Terrible just doesn't have the ability to stand and fight on those occasions where she needs to, nor the health pool or heal to survive those hits that do manage to land.

Hard pass for me. Which is too bad as I really wanted this speed demon and had been expecting the buff to her guns ... but also the retention of the smoke. Without the smoke, I consider her completely unplayable based on how *I* like to play DDs.

EDIT: Another really good possibility for this ship would actually be Hydro. Because her reload booster gets shut down hard by a DD smoking up, having the ability to chase a DD down *through* their smoke would be great. Really, the reload booster is much too situational and depends on the enemy making mistakes. A smart DD player can defend against it really really easily.

Edited by KaptainKaybe

[DRACS]
Members
3,338 posts

Also, would RPG not be better than IFHE on her? Her great speed but poor detection means that if she's spotted, she needs to know *where* that offending spotter is located and run it down. Without RPF, she depends entirely on looking at surrounding terrain to find out. In open water, she might just end up speed-demoning in the wrong direction.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,866 posts
2,191 battles

How is her acceleration?  Could benefit from a Propulsion upgrade?

Members
1,451 posts
659 battles
51 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

• Fastest ship (currently) in the game with a top speed of 53.8kts (!) with all bonuses applied.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,725 battles

Good summary, when does the full report come out?

:Smile-_tongue: Great stuff as always.

[WG-CC]
9,021 posts
7,604 battles
3 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

How is her acceleration?  Could benefit from a Propulsion upgrade?

Her acceleration is good.  The propulsion upgrade only really benefits a ship when the ship is starting from a dead stop.  The gains are otherwise minimal to non-existent.  Le Terrible doesn't park very often, so it's better to go for the rudder upgrade.