You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kirby

good dd for scenarios

8 comments in this topic

Members
17 posts
1,525 battles

looking to get a good dd for tier 6 and tier 7 secnarios, any suggestions? with tier 7 being an allies ship

Members
1,119 posts
3,141 battles

Tier 6, i'd take something like farragut, t61, or maybe anshan. For t7 i would go with sims, haida, or GM. 

Any hybrid dd will do well. 

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles
11 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

Tier 6, i'd take something like farragut, t61, or maybe anshan. For t7 i would go with sims, haida, or GM. 

Any hybrid dd will do well. 

(ninja’d)

Or take a battleship or cruiser instead.

@CarbonButtprint made good suggestions, but surviving in a destroyer in Ops can be difficult; and that’s before even thinking about doing well.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,921 posts
12,454 battles

Blyskawica.

• Bad 1

[SF-A]
Members
2,848 posts
5,548 battles

DDs are difficult for scenarios, but can be made to work.

Farragut and Fushun are similar, smoking the fleet well and having decent torpedoes and firepower.

Gaede and T-61 are similar, and pretty flexible

Gnevny, Gallant, Aigle, and Icarus are good gunboats, but more situational in scenarios.

I would not recommend Monaghan, Fubuki, Hatsuharu, or Shinonome unless you are confident in your play with them and are familiar with the scenario you want to play.

For T7, Mahan, Sims, and Gadjah Mada are good, with smoke and RoF

Z-39 is similar to Maass, but both are harder to use

Haida and Leningrad are situational, but in opposite ways. Use if you are comfortable in then in randoms

Blyskawica is solid

Don't take Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Jervis, or Minsk unless you're very good in them.

@Lightninger is the primary authority I would trust on DDs in ops. Anything he says overrides my quick list.

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,441 battles
38 minutes ago, pewpewpew42 said:

DDs are difficult for scenarios, but can be made to work.

Farragut and Fushun are similar, smoking the fleet well and having decent torpedoes and firepower.

Gaede and T-61 are similar, and pretty flexible

Gnevny, Gallant, Aigle, and Icarus are good gunboats, but more situational in scenarios.

I would not recommend Monaghan, Fubuki, Hatsuharu, or Shinonome unless you are confident in your play with them and are familiar with the scenario you want to play.

For T7, Mahan, Sims, and Gadjah Mada are good, with smoke and RoF

Z-39 is similar to Maass, but both are harder to use

Haida and Leningrad are situational, but in opposite ways. Use if you are comfortable in then in randoms

Blyskawica is solid

Don't take Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu, Jervis, or Minsk unless you're very good in them.

@Lightninger is the primary authority I would trust on DDs in ops. Anything he says overrides my quick list.

Heh, Thanks for the compliment. I am glad that I have had an impact with my channel. I will make a detailed post about destroyers later with some videos included as I don't have the time right now to do a post.

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,441 battles

I think I am going to have to split this into two posts, first for the tier VI DDs.

The top destroyer for tier VI would have to be Anshan, fast reliable shells, easily capable of citadelling cruisers at relatively safe distances, top base speed, 8 km torpedoes, and the standard smoke works fine in vast majority of situations. Fushun would come in a close second with better smoke but torpedoes that aren't capable of hitting destroyers if you need them to, whether by chance or the destroyer getting too close. The main thing you want with these is make sure you have Main Battery Mod 2 and Expert Marksman to have your turrets capable of knife fighting.

The next level of destroyers would be Gnevy, Gaede, and Farragut. The Anshan and Fushun are basically Gnevy clones, but Gnevy only has 4 km torps rather than 8 km. Then Gnevy has better turning turrets though with no need for MBM 2 and EM so has basically all the capabilities of the top two except not being able to use its torpedoes as much. Often times though, the longer range only gets to chance damage and sinks anyway.
For the Gaede, which has a hydro which is situationally useful. One thing is you would need to take 150 mm guns to reliably citadel cruisers, which comes with the slower reload. The other thing with the Gaede is its shorter smoke can sometimes be problematic if you are the only destroyer.
The other entry I would include here is the Farragut, with decent guns if rather slow lofty shells, which can citadel cruisers but need to be closer to reliably do so. It has really good USN smoke but its longest range torpedoes reach only 6.4 km.

In the next category I would put the Aigle, Gallant, Icarus, and T-61.
The Aigle has good guns which do a good job of citadelling cruisers but it also have lofty shells with a slow base speed. The torpedoes have passable range at 7 km, and it has a nice speed boost, if only situational as it has a very average base speed. One of its main problems though is its terrible detection as low concealment is at times very critical and you will also need MBM 2 and EM as its turrets are almost as slow as those of the Anshan and Fushun.
Some would protest about the T-61 being here but there is a very good reason why. The reason the Gaede is better is because it can take the 150 mm guns to reliably citadel cruisers. The T-61 has only the option of the German 128 mm guns, which have very weak penetration and you need to be up close to citadel cruisers. This makes the T-61 much more torpedo dependent as the output from its guns aren't as great. It also will have the short German smoke. While it has an amazing torpedo reload, gun damage is much more reliable with torpedoes more often than not situational except when you are rush torping. In short, its weapons systems aren't the greatest limiting its carrying ability.
The Gallant has the same issues as the T-61 with its guns, with even smaller guns, slow shells which are almost as bad as USN shell arcs and possibly worse. It has standard smoke, 8 km torpedoes so is decent enough there, average speed. Other than its weak guns, everything about it is pretty unremarkable.
The Icarus would be slightly worse than the Gallant with the same problematic weak guns. What really hurts it though is no speed boost, only 7 km torpedoes and really short smoke which is even worse than German smoke. While it does have a short range hydroacoustic search, that hardly makes up for its weapons systems deficiencies. The Aigle can do all right with 7 km torpedoes as it has decent guns to make up for it but Icarus lacks that ability.

The last category is basically the IJN destroyers Fubuki and Hatsuharu. They both have slow turning turrets, long reloads on their guns, but they do have decent penetration. These are heavily reliant on their torpedoes as their main weapon systems making them the least useful ones in operations. They have nice detection, average speed, and standard smoke. The Shinonome falls somewhere between this category and the one above having a decent number of guns but still with the same gun characteristics.

A few replays for your viewing, sorted by operation.

Defense of Newport

Aegis

Killer Whale

Rapter Rescue Version 2

Now, there can be exceptions to the rule if you do find some specific route that works. There is one specific route found by one player in Aegis that apparently can make basically any destroyer do well, including the IJN ones, but is also dependent on your teammates not messing it up for you as well. Here are a couple of his replays.

Edited by Lightninger

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,441 battles

Now for tier VII destroyers.

The top destroyer for operations is definitely the Leningrad. It is tied with Minsk, Khabarovsk and Le Terrible for fastest ship in the game, but Le Terrible has a French speed boost making it fastest when using speed boost versus base speed. It has fast, solid shells, with AP that can easily citadel cruisers, decent concealment at 6.6 km, and fast 8 km torpedoes. The only real downside is you need to take MBM 2 and EM for knife fighting. It is by far the best destroyer to use in Ultimate Frontier, a top pick for Narai, and decent pick for Dynamo.

Next would be the Minsk, Blyskawica, Gadjah Mada, Maass, and Mahan

Haida, Jervis, Sims, Z-39

Shiratsuyu, Akatsuki

(Will edit later)