You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ericson38

Fletcher or Lightning

21 comments in this topic

[TXP]
Members
653 posts
10,264 battles

I can go either way on these two currently, but not both. I know Fletcher has a good reputation, and Lightning is also reported to be good. Fletcher at T9 will encounter super ships, but is it proportionally better than Lightning at T8 playing against T9s (including Fletchers) ? I think the Lightning 8 km torps seem low range, but the 106 second reload is quick.

But Fletcher's  Mod 1 Torp option has same reload (106 sec) with fast 66 knot 10.5 km range models, which are way above what the Lightning offers.

So I know Fletch is mightier, but for its Tier, which is a better overall player ?

Edited by Ericson38

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,134 posts
10,022 battles

Fletcher is the best all-round DD in the game. Lightning is much less so. 

Members
282 posts
5,029 battles
6 minutes ago, LancerUlysses said:

Fletcher is the best all-round DD in the game. Lightning is much less so. 

Lightning is the best t8 DD, hands down. It might not punch as well as fletcher against all targets, but it kills DDs better than anything else tier for tier.

Both are exceptionally potent.

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,134 posts
10,022 battles

T8 Kidd kills Lightning all day long. LoYang does a number on it as well

The Zook also eats Lightning. 

[AAA]
Members
395 posts
5,151 battles

Fletcher is a beast. Loved the lighting but fletcher is king

[INTEL]
Members
6,627 posts
25,304 battles

Fletcher or Lightning. You serious?

Besides they are not in the same tree or the same tier, the question is inane. Fletcher is the best DD around.Period.

[VFW]
Members
900 posts
20,661 battles
46 minutes ago, LancerUlysses said:

You must be playing against new players...because you Sir, are wrong, very wrong.

vr,

[VFW]
Members
900 posts
20,661 battles
1 hour ago, Ericson38 said:

I can go either way on these two currently, but not both. I know Fletcher has a good reputation, and Lightning is also reported to be good. Fletcher at T9 will encounter super ships, but is it proportionally better than Lightning at T8 playing against T9s (including Fletchers) ? I think the Lightning 8 km torps seem low range, but the 106 second reload is quick.

But Fletcher's  Mod 1 Torp option has same reload (106 sec) with fast 66 knot 10.5 km range models, which are way above what the Lightning offers.

So I know Fletch is mightier, but for its Tier, which is a better overall player ?

Keep going up the USN line.  Fletcher is a very good DD.

....NOW...the Lightning is a sweetheart at tier 8...great concealment, good turn/acceleration, single launch torps...there are a few weaknesses, but a fine DD never the less.

VR, 

• Cool 2

[TF16B]
Members
8,062 posts
16,992 battles
1 hour ago, TexJapan said:

Keep going up the USN line.  Fletcher is a very good DD.

....NOW...the Lightning is a sweetheart at tier 8...great concealment, good turn/acceleration, single launch torps...there are a few weaknesses, but a fine DD never the less.

VR, 

This.

Fletcher was the only high tier ship I thought was worth a damn at a time I stupidly fxp’d into high tiers. Despite the self-inflicted hate caused by my own idiocy, Fletcher was kind and helped me get a precious few high tier games in so I could learn desperately needed lessons.

I couldn’t stand the RN container destroyers, (which reminds me, I need to go back and try the T2-4s...) it took me until Lightning to finally begin to grasp the use of the smoke and hydro.

It’s a good ship, dakka and torps also good; but even with all that, isn’t as easy to use as some of its competitors.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,323 posts
11,434 battles

FLETCHER hands down

Leads to Gearing a very strong T10 DD.

Lightening is situational. Coming from an extremely good destroyer, Jarvis, it is a bit of a let down vs t10 ships. 

[TXP]
Members
653 posts
10,264 battles

Thanks for the feedback on Lightning compared to Fletcher.

Edited by Ericson38

[FAE]
Members
2,120 posts
2,507 battles

Glad to hear that fletcher remains popular. And I think its very good. 

I've gotten to enjoy Gearing with Fletcter's torpedoes. that's a fun combo. 

[DRACS]
Members
3,350 posts

Honestly, they are both very good, so I'd pick based on playstyle:

- Fletcher: Great gun daca, amazing torps, option to equip DFAA, amazing long lasting USN smoke. Decent concealment.

- Lightning: Still very good guns for her tier, great firestarter, average torps for her tier, amazing concealment (just slightly worse than IJN torp boats, but the difference is marginal). Very short duration smoke, but large number of them and very fast cooldown allowing for frequent repositioning. Long lasting defensive Hydro.

Also, think of the long term here. Are you looking to get the Gearing or Daring first? Gearing might be more forgiving due to Daring's reliance on IFHE. Gearing also has much better torps and all the other advantages of USN DDs.

• Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
1,398 posts
5,800 battles
10 hours ago, Ericson38 said:

Went with Fletcher, watching videos.

Fletcher is the easier ship to do well in, a byproduct of the gunpower, unrivaled smokes, and those torpedoes you mentioned. 

Lightning is more rewarding for a highly skilled captain though, at least in my opinion.  The combination of incredible stealth (5.5km concealment on a tier 8 gunboat????), excellent firepower, numerous fast-recharging smokes for hit & run tactics, and (most of all) the ability to juke shots for days with that insane acceleration make for a supremely powerful destroyer in the right hands.  The short-range torpedoes require a good deal of patience as you allow for the battle to develop and the radar ships to dwindle, but can be quite potent in the right situations. 

Beta Testers
767 posts
5,851 battles
On 10/26/2018 at 11:10 AM, LancerUlysses said:

Bwhahahaha than that lighting doesn't know how to play the lightning.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,356 posts
3,559 battles
On 10/27/2018 at 11:24 PM, Schindlers_Stink_Fist said:

Bwhahahaha than that lighting doesn't know how to play the lightning.

On 10/26/2018 at 2:57 PM, TexJapan said:

You must be playing against new players...because you Sir, are wrong, very wrong.

vr,

Kidd eats lightnings up for breakfast, not even a fair contest. 

With almost 30k extra DPM, and almost 10k extra EHP, if your loosing in a kidd vs a lightning you are doing something terribly wrong. 

Lightning has 1 slight advantage over kidd, .3 km extra concealment, which is easily negated by the fact that Kidd does 40+ knots with boost and flag. 

When I see lightnings I just rush them down and eat them up with my DPM.  Heal back what I lost and move on, they seem pretty cocky that they can take anything on.. Their mistake.

[--1--]
Members
153 posts
2,475 battles

I prefer Lightning way more then Fletcher but Fletcher is a tier higher then it so it makes sense it'd be better.

[-I-]
[-I-]
Members
78 posts
10,955 battles

Fletcher imo is a great workhorse, great aa, decent torps, and handles rather well.