You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tanuvein

Looking for a T8 Premium BB

27 comments in this topic

Members
104 posts
864 battles

While I'm going to wait through Christmas in hopes of a considerable sale on them, I'm starting to look for a T8 bb to buy. It'll be my second t8 bb since I'll be finishing off my Colorado over the next few days and getting the NC. I also have the t5 German BB and T6 Japanese BB, and I like both a lot. I also have the Warspite and am very close to the Nelson, but I think German and USN bbs are my favorite so I was thinking of the Tirpitz, partially because I've studied its history and is the most recognizable of the premiums to me.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

[INTEL]
Members
583 posts
7,363 battles

Tirpitz or Massachusetts are good choices.  The latter seems to be a favorite these days but the Tirpitz is still something I play and enjoy regularly.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
481 posts
6,394 battles

Massachusetts, I would recommend.  Sure the Tirpitz is fun too but the  Massachusetts was a blast , last ranked season, for her secondaries.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,048 posts

I don't know about a sale on battleships, but at Christmas there will be gift boxes for sale, with the chance of premium ships in them. Personally, I'd play the WG lottery and see if you can't score a tier 8 BB in a gift box. It is also possible to net enough doubloons to pick up ships available for purchase in game.

• Cool 1

[SDIWO]
Members
1,031 posts
5,231 battles

Massachusetts is a blast to play, but it is a blast when you've got a high skill point captain to spec for it, and that captain is useful for only that ship and that ship alone. Tirpitz is a fun ship AND the captain you would use in her is the same one you'd use for any other higher tier German BB. So I'd recommend Tirpitz over Massachusetts as someone just getting into the game.

Instead of Massachusetts I'd think about Alabama. She plays a lot like her tech tree counterpart so the captains are interchangeable and you can use her to retrain/train captains.

Edited by LubzinNJ

Members
1,552 posts
9,841 battles

You may want to consider a tier 9 Prem instead since you will find yourself in tier 10 matches the majority of the time.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,134 posts
9,224 battles
16 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

Tirpitz or Massachusetts are good choices.  The latter seems to be a favorite these days but the Tirpitz is still something I play and enjoy regularly.

This ^^^

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,385 posts
7,979 battles

Tirpitz can still wreck things when up tiered, even if not as well. Had to back off a cap after losing a ton of health, couldn't get unspotted because I was between two caps the enemy held, managed to isolate myself to only having to deal with a FDG and Monarch which FDG had some damage, Monarch was full health. But between main battery against FDG that went broadside trying to kill me faster, secondaries, and torps, killed both of them after they sunk me. Still ended up number 1 in XP with 123k damage or so. 

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
591 posts
7 minutes ago, Your_Ship_Is_On_Fire said:

Hands down Gascogne. Its a T8 Republique. Fast, very good guns and wonderful secondaries. Highly underrated ship.

This ^^^

Not that the Tirpitz and Massachusetts are not good ships, they are - I highly recommend them.  Seeing that you are in the German BB grind which goes fairly quick and painless to Bismarck (Tirpitz without torps) and already have the North Carolina.  I would open the last BB line remaining and use the Gascogne to support the grind.

Beta Testers
2,858 posts
4,095 battles

that depends,do you like to shoot far with chance to dodge some shells?alabama

secondary guns? mass

torps with a little weaker secondary guns?tirpitz.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,816 posts
42 minutes ago, Tanuvein said:

While I'm going to wait through Christmas in hopes of a considerable sale on them, I'm starting to look for a T8 bb to buy. It'll be my second t8 bb since I'll be finishing off my Colorado over the next few days and getting the NC. I also have the t5 German BB and T6 Japanese BB, and I like both a lot. I also have the Warspite and am very close to the Nelson, but I think German and USN bbs are my favorite so I was thinking of the Tirpitz, partially because I've studied its history and is the most recognizable of the premiums to me.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Massachusetts is the most fun ship in the game. 

I have Tirpitz, and although I've played her a lot in the past, I've taken her out maybe once since Massachusetts came out.  If you like Warspite, you'll definitely enjoy Mass which feels kinda similar, but is better in every way.

Edit:  I see somebody else recommended Gascogne.  She's fun and different, you don't see many of them.  I only recently picked her up myself.  Of the two I'd give the edge to Massachusetts, but Gascogne is definitely worthy of your consideration as well.

Edit Edit:
Reasons for each are as follows:

Mass:  Most fun ship and best secondary boat in the game.  Con: Requires a dedicated captain with at least 18 skill points
Tirp: Solid secondary boat with awesome torps and good armor.  Can use the same captain for your other German ships  Con: Most people anticipate the Torps.  For my money, Bismarck's Hydro is better than Tirps torps.
Gascogne: Essentially Republique at tier 8.  Unusual.  Fun.  Con: Doesn't help you train your German or American captains.  Needs a lot of skill points for max effectiveness.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
959 posts
6,385 battles

Buy Scharnhorst and save the rest of your money. T8 is getting screwed hard by MM and the overabundance of tier 10s right now. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,816 posts
5 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

Buy Scharnhorst and save the rest of your money. T8 is getting screwed hard by MM and the overabundance of tier 10s right now. 

Actually there's a fix coming up for Tier 8 MM. . . but Scharn is a worthy suggestion also.

[SDIWO]
Members
1,031 posts
5,231 battles
2 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Actually there's a fix coming up for Tier 8 MM. . . but Scharn is a worthy suggestion also.

Oh? I don't want to sidetrack but can you link that?

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,816 posts
1 minute ago, LubzinNJ said:

Oh? I don't want to sidetrack but can you link that?

It cropped up in a Dev discussion a little while ago and was discussed on here..   No details on how.   Of course no details on when AFAIK.  So whatever that is worth.

They said "a change that will help some with Tier 8 MM".  I'm guessing that maybe they are moving to a 12 tier MM system like WOT maybe?  So at worst Tier 8s will see games with only a few Tier 10s in it, not everybody else is a Tier 10.

Guess we'll see.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,308 posts
3,887 battles
49 minutes ago, Siegewolf said:

Massachusetts, I would recommend.  Sure the Tirpitz is fun too but the  Massachusetts was a blast , last ranked season, for her secondaries.

Big Mamie has better guns too.  I’m quite fond of her lol secondaries and her rifles :D

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,725 battles
1 hour ago, Tanuvein said:

so I was thinking of the Tirpitz, partially because I've studied its history and is the most recognizable of the premiums to me.

Hi @Tanuvein a question to help with any suggestions. Are you looking for the BB with the most historic gravitas, one that is fun to play, or one that allows you to be the most competitive as a player?

Thanks and happy hunting.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
959 posts
6,385 battles
4 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

No mention of the KII?:Smile_hiding:

Tirpitz does the "torps on a BB" thing better. 

Members
1,690 posts
7,231 battles

I recommend Roma if you play randoms, and Massachusetts if you play co-op.  Mass and other strong brawling BBs (like Tirpitz) often feel at disadvantage in T10 heavy meta, while Roma actually does pretty well.

Members
104 posts
864 battles
1 hour ago, _Big_Lou_ said:

Hi @Tanuvein a question to help with any suggestions. Are you looking for the BB with the most historic gravitas, one that is fun to play, or one that allows you to be the most competitive as a player?

Thanks and happy hunting.

I'm mostly just want it to be a fun ship. I generally use my premiums for free xp and commander points, but take them out daily (Warspite, Marblehead and Texas). The only other Premium I have but don't use too often is the Admiral Graf Spee, because of the history and the old film "The Battle at the River Platte".

I play at least 90% randoms, I only play co op to mess around and see how many silly things you can do to bots that don't work on people (like knife fights with my Pensacola).

Thanks for all the discussion so far guys, a lot of great info for me.

Edited by Tanuvein

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,816 posts
8 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

I recommend Roma if you play randoms, and Massachusetts if you play co-op.  Mass and other strong brawling BBs (like Tirpitz) often feel at disadvantage in T10 heavy meta, while Roma actually does pretty well.

@Tanuvein

Yeah. . . you should definitely ignore this advice.  Do NOT get Roma!

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
959 posts
6,385 battles
13 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

I would not currently recommend ANY tier 8 BB for coop. You'll be facing nothing but tier 10s and the game will be over before you get into position. I parked my Tirpitz for Prinz Eugen and am otherwise trying to avoid tier 8 completely until something is done about the overabundance of tier 10s. 

Members
1,690 posts
7,231 battles
1 hour ago, TheDreadnought said:

@Tanuvein

Yeah. . . you should definitely ignore this advice.  Do NOT get Roma!

These are top performing BBs, I have decent amount of experience on Roma and it's a solid T8 BB.

dBP3bkP.jpg