You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KaptainKaybe

Wichita Nerf as per Dev Blog

104 comments in this topic

[DRACS]
Members
3,351 posts

So basically, in comparison to Baltimore:

- 400m or 500m lower detection
- Worse AP
- Less Health
- Noticeably worse AA
- Radar will now be the same

I did feel this ship needed a concealment nerf, but losing the SHS shells hurts. Was considering this ship as I liked her stealth and alpha damage ambush potential and felt it was a good balance for the loss of health and AA. Now ... not so sure. I might skip on this one and just spend money on Alaska when she comes out since I have enough ship XP to convert to buy it, assuming it's a FreeXP ship.

• Bad 1

Beta Testers
2,832 posts
4,035 battles

WG really hates usn cruisers.

Edited by Cruxdei
  • Cool 6

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,257 posts
24,799 battles

I was thinking of getting her.

Not now though.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,568 posts
3,739 battles

Oh look they decided not to uptier her to tier 9

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
585 posts

She will still be in my port, there are always hope for buffs.  At least bring back the SHS!

Alaska will be also. Already saved plenty!

[DRACS]
Members
3,351 posts
4 minutes ago, jmanII said:

She will still be in my port, there are always hope for buffs.  At least bring back the SHS!

Alaska will be also. Already saved plenty!

I wonder when the next 35 to 1 conversation rate event hits. I already have around 420k Free XP, but I also have a ton of ship XP to convert. I really hope Alaska is available for FreeXP and not a huge boatload of coal.

• Cool 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,319 posts
3,668 battles

Let's be honest, the detection was a bit too much. That said, I don't think SHS should be removed. They could just instead give Wichita 25mm extremities in contrast to Balti's 27mm to make her a bit more fragile.

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
585 posts
20 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

I wonder when the next 35 to 1 conversation rate event hits. I already have around 420k Free XP, but I also have a ton of ship XP to convert. I really hope Alaska is available for FreeXP and not a huge boatload of coal.

I hit the last 35:1 event and am holding at 750K FXP. 

With any luck, Alaska will be for Coal or FXP like Musashi. 

I just hit 132K coal (the amount needed for Musashi with the coupon).  I can't see Alaska going over this amount if for coal.

The bad thing is many people are predicting that Musashi will be replaced with Alaska when the coupon regenerates (Dec 24th).  Long time to wait with this burning a hole in your pocket.  I just have to remember the 4 month wait for the 35:1 conversion while saving for Missouri.

The good thing is that if it is for coal, the FXP will contribute towards other lines.

Lets just hope that Alaska is not just for superclans, steel or for tier 1 in multiple seasons for rank battles.

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
1,641 posts
5,490 battles

I hope they are planning something else because it looks like a worse alternative to Baltimore right now. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,804 posts

That's too bad.

I was looking forward to getting her, but with these changes I'm out.

I really wish they'd just give us a slightly different Baltimore with Heal instead of radar. . . like Prinz Eugen is to Hipper. . . . but apparently WG likes to tinker instead of sell ships.   I think I'll start a thread about that actually.

• Bad 1

[DRACS]
Members
3,351 posts

Oh I was okay with how they wanted to do push her out previously. Better concealment and smaller profile in exchange for less health, worse AA, worse radar. More of an ambusher than just an island lobber. Now ... meh.

Members
135 posts
1 hour ago, KaptainKaybe said:

So basically, in comparison to Baltimore:

- 400m or 500m lower detection
- Worse AP
- Less Health
- Noticeably worse AA
- Radar will now be the same

I did feel this ship needed a concealment nerf, but losing the SHS shells hurts. Was considering this ship as I liked her stealth and alpha damage ambush potential and felt it was a good balance for the loss of health and AA. Now ... not so sure. I might skip on this one and just spend money on Alaska when she comes out since I have enough ship XP to convert to buy it, assuming it's a FreeXP ship.

Yea loss of SHS makes this ship totally worthless to me as a prospect to spend money on. It needed a nerf  I guess but this is too much and all encompassing.

These guns now suck compared to both Cleaveland and Baltimore. No high RoF or SHS! Concealment will basically be a cleaveland after the nerf.

Why would I want this ship with inferior guns/dps and NOTHING to make for it? The essence of this ship was tier 8 US radar with US heavy cruiser guns/SHS and .4km concealment better than Cleaveland. Now it has no SHS which was the selling point of the bigger slower reload USN cruiser guns and the same concealment as Cleveland. Net loss clearly compared to Cleveland. From borderline OP to total junk premium in a stroke.

Edited by ModDestroyer_1

[SIM]
Members
2,439 posts
4,080 battles

So is she strictly worse than her tech tree counterpart, now?

[WOLF3]
Members
5,975 posts
2,203 battles
1 hour ago, KaptainKaybe said:

losing the SHS shells hurts.

It will hurt most at long range, where the SHS keeps much more of its energy.  In close it won't make much difference.  I guess she has appeal as a dedicated DD hunter now.  As a general purpose cruiser she's not that impressive.

Members
135 posts
6 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

It will hurt most at long range, where the SHS keeps much more of its energy.  In close it won't make much difference.  I guess she has appeal as a dedicated DD hunter now.  As a general purpose cruiser she's not that impressive.

It is not impressive in any role.

The Cleaveland is just a better DD hunter... and better all round dps with its high RoF. The way the Baltimore competes is with SHS; which this doesn't have. So the purpose of this thing is really..... non-existent now as far as I can see. An in between Cleveland and Baltimore with the perks and strengths of neither.

Edited by ModDestroyer_1

[KP]
Members
1,998 posts
18,464 battles

So basically it's now a tier 7 masquerading as a tier 8. Usual WGing logic, after over 3 years and still can't balance things.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,633 posts
14,025 battles

Like WV41, what was once an interesting, good set of stats, is now garbage.

The ship was a guaranteed sale for me, but now it's outright garbage.  If I want the New Orleans gun experience I'd play the d*mn New Orleans 1 tier lower.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
2,439 posts
4,080 battles
16 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

So basically it's now a tier 7 masquerading as a tier 8. Usual WGing logic, after over 3 years and still can't balance things.

I was afraid of this, and agree with the prior sentiment that WG could learn a lot from how they eventually handled the Hipper and Prinz Eugen. Subtle changes between ships can make for notably different play experiences without either ship coming off as inferior. 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,633 posts
14,025 battles

This "Thing" is basically a worse version of Old Tier VIII New Orleans, and that was a stinker of a Cruiser in Tier VIII.

[KP]
Members
1,998 posts
18,464 battles
53 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

I was afraid of this, and agree with the prior sentiment that WG could learn a lot from how they eventually handled the Hipper and Prinz Eugen. Subtle changes between ships can make for notably different play experiences without either ship coming off as inferior. 

You hit it their dude. Subtle changes, like the new RN DD's. Why in the eff do they need such different smoke? It's like they are running out of gimmicks instead of balancing them around attributes like reload, traverse, conceal. The core of what makes the ship fun and interesting is lost in WGing [edited].

Members
3,643 posts
13,487 battles

It don't matter to me what Wee-Gee does with her since she'll never clutter my port. I'm done buying tier 8 fodder to tier 10s.

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
647 posts
659 battles
30 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

This "Thing" is basically a worse version of Old Tier VIII New Orleans, and that was a stinker of a Cruiser in Tier VIII.

Exactly what I was thinking. Premiums should be about as good as their tech tree counterparts, but Wichita looks dreadful compared to Baltimore.