You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
El_Cid_333

A fork in the road. Any advice?

41 comments in this topic

Members
13 posts
347 battles

Will it make all the difference if I take the road less traveled.:Smile_glasses:

So I'm at the T4 IJN DD and have unlocked both the Mutsuki and Minekaze. Which is the better line to play and what kind of surprises if any do the upper tiers contain?

Although I may hold off on continuing my only DD line so far and try out the German DDs to see what they have going for them.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[SLOTH]
[SLOTH]
Members
59 posts
5,070 battles

shimi is in a pretty bad spot atm. Its a matter of preference though. torp boat or gun boat.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,794 posts
3,966 battles

1) Are you intending to go all the way up to Tier 10 with either line before picking up the other, or would you be going up in parallel?

2) If you are, would you rather be driving the Harugumo or the Shimakaze?

3) Have you looked carefully at all the things you would have to play in between?

[POP]
Members
840 posts
9,480 battles

if asking for advice, I'd say go have a blast with the gunboat line!

The torps botes are in trouble..

[FOXEH]
Members
3,321 posts
11,856 battles

Torpedo boats are only in trouble if you play them like gun boats and gun boats are no fun and ineffective if you play them like torpedo boats. I, personally found Yugumo to be fun and effective.

You said you are on your first DD line. Where do your interests lie, guns or torps? Go that route with IJN DD. Both sides are good if played to their strengths.

Edited by Khafni
  • Cool 2

Members
989 posts
5,711 battles
35 minutes ago, El_Cid_333 said:

Will it make all the difference if I take the road less traveled.:Smile_glasses:

Wow, someone who actually paid attention in English class, and even retained something from it, no less.

Your type is rare here in the forums. Welcome.

Currently at the very same fork as you. I'm taking a nap on  the matter until I decide. I have plenty of other WOWs things to do.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,375 posts
7,962 battles

German DD's have better guns, and once you get around tier 5 and start getting longer range torps are similar to what IJN used to be on the Torp boat side. Just with better guns. 

Minekaze is the last tech tree ship for a while that isn't a complete shadow of it's former self. Speed of her torps is way low, but her torp detection is low enough that she leaves about as much time to react as any other ship, even her "OP" cousins Fujin and Kami sisters, on a faster ship, with the same stealth, with a faster reload and better (though still pathetic) AA. Kami's just have higher torp damage, slightly better guns and 200 more HP. By tier 6 Gaede has 8 km range instead of 10, but has 2 quad tubs centerline, with 65 knot torps, that while yes, they deal 3k less damage, leave a full 2 seconds less to try and dodge them. For more perspective - with how long it takes the 127 mm guns to reload on IJN at this tier, even though this is the gunship line, you can run on the Germans 150 mm guns that can citadel cruisers with the same reload time, or the faster 128 mm guns. Meanwhile, the torp line stays the same.

And this continues through tier 9 on the IJN torp boat line, till you get to Shima with the 15 torps, but the spotting ranges on it's torps are a joke compared to every other countries that have an ability to stealth torp, with better guns, and through 8 on the Gunboat line, because once you get to Akizuki you get an IJN gunboat that realizes it's a Gunboat. You have just under 90 seconds on smoke, a 3 second reload, 8 guns, and with IFHE can pen almost all bow and deck armour automatically. 240 rounds in the time of one smoke screen, maybe a few more with BFT, 400 damage per HE round that pens, max damage of 96000 damage in that 90 second window. The IJN gunline eats things alive, just have to watch cause the handle more like a cruiser so not careful, you'll eat torps. It's also at that point that German DD's match/better your stealth, but the IJN gunboats can rip apart the German DD's the instant they open fire and show themselves. 

Members
13 posts
347 battles
12 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

1) Are you intending to go all the way up to Tier 10 with either line before picking up the other, or would you be going up in parallel?

2) If you are, would you rather be driving the Harugumo or the Shimakaze?

3) Have you looked carefully at all the things you would have to play in between?

1)Good lord, I'm way too new for a T10 to be anything more than a dream. I'm actively working on 3 BB lines and putzing around with 3 CA lines as well so climbing multiple DD lines probably would not be practical.

2)There are plenty of boats with guns so I am looking for that torp experience. That may have answered my own question.

3) Not real carefully and that may be the cause for the confusion. In some of the mid tiers it seems that the guns and torps are nearly identical between lines and what makes them a gun or torpedo boat is the label they got stuck with..

[SCTFB]
[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
3,923 posts
14,725 battles

how come there is never a spoon in the road?

• Funny 1

[OSG]
Beta Testers
1,347 posts
14,768 battles

To quote that great sage Yogi Berra, "When you come to a fork in the road, take it!!"

Good luck....sounds like the Shimmy line is the one you want.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
196 posts
5,648 battles

Wouldn't suggest just going up 1 line the whole way.. this leads to poor gameplay as you will not be familiar with the ships you are facing. 

I would instead suggest grinding up multiple lines at the same time, including different classes.  

Out of these 2 though, would suggest the gun boat line first probably.. its probably the easier type of playstyle to learn and also have a positive impact on your team.

There is enough useless shima players out there already. 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
5,075 posts
8,954 battles
1 minute ago, Simers72 said:

Wouldn't suggest just going up 1 line the whole way.. this leads to poor gameplay as you will not be familiar with the ships you are facing. 

I would instead suggest grinding up multiple lines at the same time, including different classes.  

Out of these 2 though, would suggest the gun boat line first probably.. its probably the easier type of playstyle to learn and also have a positive impact on your team.

There is enough useless shima players out there already. 

Well put, Simers.  It's probably in your best interests to diversify your ship preferences, as it allows you to not only know the strengths/weaknesses of your own ship, but also those that you will be facing.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,342 posts
11,884 battles
1 hour ago, El_Cid_333 said:

So I'm at the T4 IJN DD and have unlocked both the Mutsuki and Minekaze. Which is the better line to play and what kind of surprises if any do the upper tiers contain?

Although I may hold off on continuing my only DD line so far and try out the German DDs to see what they have going for them.

Why not work on both, they have different play styles. I have over 240 ships and like them all. Variety is the spice, and all that jazz.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,324 posts
11,451 battles
59 minutes ago, dukelego said:

shimi is in a pretty bad spot atm. Its a matter of preference though. torp boat or gun boat.

But it is a very strong dd in cla wars for vision control and area denial. Her speed is the best at tier.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,324 posts
11,451 battles

It really depends on what you want from your destroyer.

Yugo and shimmy are great vision control and area denial boats.

Kitty is very strong Pew Pew sneaky boat.

Harrugamo is either a mini Wooster or a stealthy gunboat.

[KP]
Members
1,997 posts
18,433 battles
4 hours ago, El_Cid_333 said:

Neither, play gunboats they don't [edited] about radar.

Members
1,547 posts
9,817 battles

Well..... I was a big fan of IJN DDs since Beta. In the past year they have nerfed IJN DDs passed tier 6 into oblivion. It literally went from doing consistent 100k damage battles to unplayable.  

Do yourself a favor and drop any idea of IJN torpedo boats. It will be the biggest waste of grinding time and disappointment. I wish I could take back the time and free XP spent to get Shima since I no longer play it.  If you want to go the gunboat route there are much better routes like Russian, American or RN . 

[NOBS]
Members
475 posts
5,470 battles
2 hours ago, El_Cid_333 said:

I'm doing both lines at the same time, I figured it was a good way to learn them in the same tier meta. And if one of the boats in the grind in awful, that will make up my mind on which line to go to T10 in

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
792 posts
5,786 battles
1 hour ago, El_Cid_333 said:

Both IJN DDs lead up to very powerful top tiered destroyers.

Something to wary of as you grind down either line:

- Tier VI and VII ships on either side can require a high degree of learning and skill and you're likely going to see battles in which you are bottom tiered

- Tier VIII is where the lines start to really differentiate and you'll see significant changes between the Kagero and Akizuki

If you're more successful with the Isokaze laying good torpedo attacks, then I would choose the Mutsuki.

If you want to try your hand and gunboat destroyers to contest and challenge capturing objectives, try the Minekaze. The end goal is the Akizuki, Kitakaze, and Harugumo destroyers of death.

"The mark of a great shiphandler is never getting into situations that require great shiphandling." - Ernest King, US Navy

#anchorsaweigh

[IRISH]
Members
347 posts
7,090 battles

IT really all comes down to, do you pewpew more..or do U sneak..sneak..snipe..snipe more with pedos!

[FBXGC]
Members
97 posts
1,418 battles
2 hours ago, El_Cid_333 said:

I have Shima, Z-52 and am at the Akizuki. I prefer the Z-52 of the trio. Shima feels the most challenging and definitely gives me the biggest pop when I play well but she also ends up  with chunks of games where she feels helpless. The gunboats feel super strong and are fun but I also find spots where I don't feel like I am impacting the game as much as I would like. The Z-52 is the compromise imo. I never feel like I am not impacting the game in some way. In light or no radar games you feel dominant and there are 0 DD's you feel helpless against. I'm no unicum but thats my feeling on the 3 ships.

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
98 posts
1,901 battles
14 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

If you're more successful with the Isokaze laying good torpedo attacks, then I would choose the Mutsuki.

If you want to try your hand and gunboat destroyers to contest and challenge capturing objectives, try the Minekaze. The end goal is the Akizuki, Kitakaze, and Harugumo destroyers of death.

"The mark of a great shiphandler is never getting into situations that require great shiphandling." - Ernest King, US Navy

#anchorsaweigh

Maybe I missed it along the way, but in the discussion of which branch to take, it was mentioned that one was a gun boat branch and the other was a torpedo boat branch.  However, it wasn't until this post that I saw which branch was which!   So thank you for clearing that one up.

A couple months ago I faced this same decision and went with the Minekaze only because it was said elsewhere that it didn't suck as much as the Mutsuki.  Being an absolutely terrible player, that made my choice clear.   Even so, I keep my Minekaze in PVE mostly as I try to learn how to improve with it.

So this brings an idea to my mind: what if the tech tree had some label that said gunboat for one branch, and torpedo boat for the other?  This would be helpful for those who like to play but aren't aware of the difference.  The same could be done for the American cruisers where branch was labeled as light cruisers and the other with heavy.

Members
1,587 posts
4,356 battles

I’m working hard on Tier 8 cruisers at the moment and might take on some Tier 8/9 BB action.  My DD grinds are sort of stalled where you are...at tier 6. 

The Minekaze is a decent little ship, over nerfed though it may be. My personal preference, however, is the Shimakaze line. Fubuki does more damage for me than Ernst Gaede, but they both do more damage than many of the DD I played before them at Tier 5-7...which highlights the biggest challenge with DD: the class greatly rewards game knowledge and a good understanding of other players and punishes, significantly, its absence. This is especially true if the torpedo boats.

My personal preference has moveD away from gun boats as DD in general have become more vulnerable over time. My one piece of advice - with rare exception, your DPM and damage with DD guns is crap, but your spotting for your team is invaluable. Do not blind your team or expect them to spot for you instead of the other way around. I’ve seen many matches lost because a young DD captain thought getting their tiny, ineffective pew-pews into the fight was more important than giving their Battleships and cruisers something to shoot at.