You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mothermoy

which is better for tier X iowa or seattle

25 comments in this topic

[OBS]
Members
81 posts
618 battles

im at about the same spot for both seattle an iowa. thing is i work second shift which means i get home right when its perma tier X time. which tier 9 would be better to roll with in tier X

Members
6,619 posts
25,219 battles

I would say Iowa, but it depends on what you play best, cruisers or BBs?

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,549 posts
13,992 battles

Iowa by a huge margin.

The question really is the prize at the end of either line.  Worcester and Montana are both very good ships.  What do you prefer playing more?  CL or BB?

[FML]
Members
1,622 posts
9,879 battles

The answer is: do both. 

I havent done the Seattle yet, but the Iowa wasnt a hard grind - unlike certain other T9s...

[O_O]
Members
769 posts
4,725 battles

Iowa is very strong as long as you control who has shots at your sides.  Seattle is much more situational to play and requires a significant amount of advance planning to have any effect whatsoever in the game, even at top tier.  So far both grinds have been... very grindy.  I'm doing a lot of learning with them though, so it ought to be worth it in the long run.

The end goals in both cases seem to be worth it; Worcester looks like lots of silly (but expensive with all those consumables) fun and Montana is Montana.  She's kind of bland, played very poorly by many but very effective when done right.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

-R

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,326 posts
10,106 battles

I like and have (kept) both so I actually would say do both of them. If you only want to do 1 then it comes down to which ship type you prefer more; BB or Cruiser. Pick that way.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts

Hated Iowa really enjoy Montana... Seattle is okay, Worcester is due for some minor surgery soon (iirc)... I'd suggest go Montana first then follow with Worcester. 

I have done the grind for two ships at the same time, as it keeps you fresh. Gets kinda boring if it's the same ship over and over... unless it's something like the Kami. 

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
581 posts

The better ship (for me at least) is the Iowa.  As one of the posts says - it is the prize at tier X that really matters.  

I would grind through Seattle first for the Worcester - unless you have Minotaur, then grind Seattle at a leisurely pace for Worcester concentrating on Iowa.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,498 battles

I did not like the Seattle it at all but battled on to get the Worcester 

The Worcester is one fun boat and of all the Cruisers I play is the only one I at times feel guilty playing ... but I can live with that :Smile_great:

not really a BB player so no help there

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
769 posts
5,753 battles
5 hours ago, Mothermoy said:

im at about the same spot for both seattle an iowa. thing is i work second shift which means i get home right when its perma tier X time. which tier 9 would be better to roll with in tier X

The Iowa performs much better when in Tier X battles compared to the Seattle, although if you employ American light cruiser tactics, using your firing arc in a concealed firing position, you can still do well.

Overall, the Seattle is a high-skilled vessel that can be unforgiving if any mistakes are made at all during the battle. The Iowa can withstand a certain degree of damage and still live to put up a good fight both against other ships and defending against air attack.

If you're looking at which route to choose to get to Tier X, I would choose Seattle and live with the pain to get to the Worcester.

Just my two cents!

"If you're not making waves, you're not under weigh." - Chester Nimitz, US Navy

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,035 posts
9,183 battles
43 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

The Iowa performs much better when in Tier X battles compared to the Seattle, although if you employ American light cruiser tactics, using your firing arc in a concealed firing position, you can still do well.

Overall, the Seattle is a high-skilled vessel that can be unforgiving if any mistakes are made at all during the battle. The Iowa can withstand a certain degree of damage and still live to put up a good fight both against other ships and defending against air attack.

If you're looking at which route to choose to get to Tier X, I would choose Seattle and live with the pain to get to the Worcester.

Just my two cents!

"If you're not making waves, you're not under weigh." - Chester Nimitz, US Navy

#anchorsaweigh

Yes GIF

• Cool 1

Members
1,122 posts
6,673 battles

Iowa is a solid all around ship.   It takes some getting use to, but as long as you learn not to shoot too much side at the wrong time, you will be fine. 

seattle was not enjoyable in the slightest.  you are fighting the ship no matter what you are trying to do.  you are just waiting to be deleted in that ship.  with that being said, if you know how to play US cruisers, then you will do fine with it.

[SIMP]
Members
818 posts
8,210 battles
6 hours ago, Mothermoy said:

The Seattle is miserable to play, Worchester is much better.

I made my choice by asking, which is less fun to play and I want out of, my choice was Seattle or Neptune, the Seattle sucked and the Neptune comfortable (but fantastically fragile).

I ground through the Seattle and still have the Neptune.

I would think the Iowa would be better, but then you are stuck with the Seattle...

[WOLF2]
Members
262 posts
4,283 battles

I have the Iowa and the Missouri and I always tend to do better in the Iowa. She's not much of a brawler so she does much better from range. If you keep it well angled and use your speed to stay out of trouble it's a really nice ship. 

I can't say much about the Seattle or the Worchester . I'm not quite there yet. I'm still working on the light cruiser line, but I've put that on hold as I've been having fun with the mini ranked.

Beta Testers
468 posts
6,343 battles

Iowa most definitively.  I really want to love the Seattle but she is a turd in the punch bowl.  Grinding through her now and the short range on her is a killer, especially since you regularly see T10 games

Members
1,771 posts
17,309 battles
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:54 AM, Mothermoy said:

if I knew that the Seattle was gonna be such a grind I would have run it completely differently. I would have intentionally YOLOed to try & get some close range shots on DDs giving me probably more XP/battle in less time than the pitiful XP I received each battle trying to hide all game to snipe from cover. You usually get zapped in very short order after firing anyway so may as well get those few rounds into a DD for better XP.

Haven't started running Iowa much yet (have Mo so was tired of it before I got the Iowa & have been running other more fun ships instead)...but a BB is a BB & will probably give you much better results than the Seattle/battle...but Worc does make the Seattle grind worth it in the end...can't say if Montana is worth the Iowa grind as I haven't gotten there yet of course.

[O_O]
Members
769 posts
4,725 battles
On 10/26/2018 at 7:52 AM, Herr_Reitz said:

Worcester is due for some minor surgery soon (iirc).

Aww, this gives me a sad.  Not tremendously surprising, though.  Any chance you've got a source somewhere to show us?

-R

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts
11 hours ago, Mister_Rawr said:

Aww, this gives me a sad.  Not tremendously surprising, though.  Any chance you've got a source somewhere to show us?

-R

Well for one thing the radar is getting reduced... 1km i think... it was in one of theposts here on the dev blog stuff.  If i find it i'll link it for you. 

Edited by Herr_Reitz

Members
1,122 posts
6,673 battles
4 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Well for one thing the radar is getting reduced... 1km i think... it was in one of theposts here on the dev blog stuff.  If i find it i'll link it for you. 

it and seattle(this ship didnt really need to be nerfed imo) got their radar nerfed.  while it does hurt it when its DD hunting, the nerf didn't hit where it really hurts.  the DPM.  you can still melt people as fast as ever with it. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts

American cruisers Seattle, tier IX, and Worcester, tier X.

The range of the Surveillance Radar has been reduced from 9.45 and 9.9 km to 9 km for both ships.

The main reason for the changes is that these cruisers, which have a significant difference between the radius of visibility and the range of the Surveillance Radar, are extremely effective hunters of destroyers. Taking into account the presence of HE shells and rapid reload, a destroyer caught in the radius of the consumable, practically loses any chance to leave the area, and is likely to be sunk. The decreasing of the radius of Detection range all the same will leave Seattle and Worcester decent fighters, but will give a chance to the destroyer to take evasive action, spot the ship ahead of him, and to get away from the area of the Surveillance Radar.

The source dev blog on facebook

They probably won't stop there... I'd say if she still remains effective as she is now they'll find some way to gimp her. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,076 posts
12,832 battles
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:54 AM, Mothermoy said:

Iowa with radar - aka Missourah!

[NUWES]
Members
1,630 posts
5,475 battles

Iowa is better overall provided you understand not to let things fire on your broadside. (Truthfully that is the rule for every BB, CA and CL which are not made in the Fatherland). Seattle is basically Cleveland with a heal and worse gun arcs.  It isn't bad like people make it out to be, but it isn't as nice to play on its tier as Cleveland and Worcester are on theirs. The poor arcs of fire really hurt it

[O_O]
Members
769 posts
4,725 battles

Oh, the radar tweak.  Yeah, fair enough.  I was afraid something was happening with the rest of the ship.  Worcester will fair well enough, but it's just one more ingredient to the Seattle soup sandwich it just doesn't need.

Then again, I could just git gud.

-R

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,686 posts
3,459 battles

Seattle is a pile of dog crap in a punch bowl.