You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rekkoff

Nelson needs buffs...

50 comments in this topic

[115TH]
Beta Testers
256 posts

Shes just not a good ship. Maybe if she was a T6, but every time I play her I feel like I just take a handicap. 0 armor, long reload, AP doesnt pen even though its a 16inch shell, and shes slow. Not to mention the guns shoot like it has a 6in barrel... She needs something to make her better... Yeah her heal is nice, but she gets one less then every other BB out there and you need to the good heal just to stay in the game...

• Funny 8
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 8

[INTEL]
Members
8,430 posts
25,296 battles

lolwut? Nelson is fine the way she is. Without seeing your stats and replays its impossible to know what you are doing wrong. 

[KNTI2]
[KNTI2]
Members
166 posts
8,138 battles

Nelson used to be my most favorite T7 battleship until I played enough to realize that she is the worst once you know her weakness. I would take a Nagato, Colorado, or KGV over the Nelson at that point. Her citadel is way too restrictive and dispersion is frustrating at time. She only fun when you're top tier. Although she holds the highest win rate at T7 BBs, that reason is most likely due to players who purchased her have experience with the game already which throws off the stats.

• Cool 1

Members
64 posts
20 battles

Absolutely does not need a buff. She has outstanding stengths (that HE -- AND that AP -- gun layout), and weaknesses (most everything else). This is not a bad thing.

IMO they should've kept that HE+heal gimmick to Nelson, and modelled the rest of the RN BB line after Warspite and Hood.

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles

I dont agree that she needs a buff, however her design makes her pretty situational.

I will say that i play her alot more in coop. Although i routinely play my premiums in coop, to complete mission reqs.

And i tend to use more HE with her, although that is due to the bow in nature of the ship i expect. Waiting to switch to ap only if i have a solid broadside.

Members
2,880 posts
1,365 battles
16 minutes ago, jss78 said:

Absolutely does not need a buff. She has outstanding stengths (that HE -- AND that AP -- gun layout), and weaknesses (most everything else). This is not a bad thing.

IMO they should've kept that HE+heal gimmick to Nelson, and modelled the rest of the RN BB line after Warspite and Hood.

How is warspiddle n hood modelled?  Heavy armor, avg guns, semi fast?

Yeah, I woulda been more hyped for that kinda RN line, the HE gimmick with crap AP was sad...

• Cool 1

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,212 posts
6,433 battles

Ehm what?

Nelson is one of, if not the, best Battleship at T7.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,928 posts
12,454 battles

Nelson does not need a buff. She's one of the best battleships at tier, and a perfect example of a premium ship - different, quirky and interesting, with powerful strengths and obvious weaknesses.

• Cool 3

Members
64 posts
20 battles
3 minutes ago, KnightFandragon said:

How is warspiddle n hood modelled?  Heavy armor, avg guns, semi fast?

Yeah, I woulda been more hyped for that kinda RN line, the HE gimmick with crap AP was sad...

The way they feel to me is -- quite reliable AP (less so for Hood), tanky BUT heavily punish poor angling. At least Warspite has this buffed heal, which is distinctive but not as crazy as Nelson, Lion and Conqueror. I really like both, nice old-school no-nonsense battleships (or battlecruiser in the case of Hood).

That's their similarities -- Hood is also incredibly fast on top of all that, being a battlecruiser.

[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,409 posts
4,294 battles
1 hour ago, Rekkoff said:

Shes just not a good ship. Maybe if she was a T6, but every time I play her I feel like I just take a handicap. 0 armor, long reload, AP doesnt pen even though its a 16inch shell, and shes slow. Not to mention the guns shoot like it has a 6in barrel... She needs something to make her better... Yeah her heal is nice, but she gets one less then every other BB out there and you need to the good heal just to stay in the game...

Nelson is statistically the best performing T7 BB and requires no buffs.

https://na.wows-numbers.com/ship/3752802256,Nelson/

What I strongly believe is the issue here is user error. If you you think she's a bad ship, its because you're playing her wrong.

[-TAB-]
Alpha Tester
4,072 posts
7,519 battles

I am OK with Nelson getting more buffs! *wrings hands greedily*

[-BN-]
Members
214 posts
8,345 battles

Use HE at long range and troll your enemies.

Use AP low range and oneshot your enemies.

Nelson is a troll ship I love it 

[O_O]
Members
783 posts
4,726 battles

As of about five weeks ago Nelson maintained the following stats across all servers:

• #1 Tier VII Win Rate at 55.25%
  • #2 Tier VII Frag rate at .99 kills per game.  Behind Lyon's 1.04 frags per game.
  • #1 Tier VII Average Damage at 62,689.25 points per game
  • #1 Tier VII Average Experience at 1379.25 points per game
  • #3 Tier VII K/D with 1.88.  Behind Lyon's 2.21 and KGV's 1.91.
  • Sample size was on the low end at 1.4 million games played, with Hood and Ashitaka bringing up the rear.  The high end was Colorado with 16.2 million and Nagato with 15.5.

In other words, she's doing just fine.  May I suggest doing some research and more carefully considering your positioning decisions?

-R

[SIM]
Members
2,436 posts
4,075 battles

You need buffs. Nelson is a fine ship, one that can credibly inflict scads of damage on any target. She’s blind as a bat and can be pretty squishy, so avoid YOLOing off alone into danger and you should be fine.

Members
158 posts

Nelson requires constant awareness of positioning/angling plus knowing how to manage your ammo. But, do those things right, and it's a beast. Fire off 10k+ dmg HE salvos at BBs and then watch them burn down. Switch to AP when you get a cruiser broadside and it's bye bye cruiser. 

[SPTR]
Members
25,648 posts
10,824 battles

Nelson needs buffs? Are you really that underperforming in the ship or just a straight out a troll. /;o_\\ 

[TBOW]
Members
1,184 posts
10,432 battles

Nelson is fine as she is, she has things she is good at and things she isn't.  This is the sound of someone who wants an I win button.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,776 posts
12,891 battles

I came here thinking it was going to be one of those troll subjects where the OP posts a unicum screen shot of owning everyone in a match.  Then...it was sort or like this....

serious.jpg.edc2d5adfa66dc3aee01d447bccd21ac.jpg

Members
272 posts

Surprising that Nelson comes in at that level according to the stats. I have never been, nor will ever be intimidated when up against a Nelson, no matter what ship I'm in. I'd be more wary of a Mutsu. Don't know why people are saying it's a great ship, I just see food.

• Boring 1