You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Request to refight some of the real battles

20 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,796 battles

Not sure how we would do this.  Training room perhaps?  Maybe this could be one of WOWs "things" that they promote.

The multiple naval battles over Guadalcanal and the rest of the Pacific

Even earlier, maybe we could play Jutland again

The battle over the Atlantic would have to involve subs...hmmm

We'd want to think about some of the Russian naval battles..not so well known but important.

Just wondering how much fun it would be for a bunch of ship captains who knew their history to refight the battles.  The outcomes would be ......interesting

Anyone else interested?

[FTH]
Members
124 posts
10,618 battles

If memory serves right, a few weeks back someone organized a "Hunt for the Bismarck" event in training room, including the Battle of Denmark Strait. It was very well thought out, and just the fact I wasn't going to be home that night kept me from requesting to participate. It's doable, as the old saying goes apparently, "you just gotta wanna."

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,796 battles
1 minute ago, Purg473 said:

someone organized a "Hunt for the Bismarck" event in training room

OK, so how did they organize it?

Members
555 posts
13 battles

One way to implement this is through Scenario battles. 
The disadvantage is that you most probably will be playing on the side that won (likely Allies most of the time).

[FTH]
Members
124 posts
10,618 battles

If memory serves right...it was just a post in the "Naval Battles" section of this forum. Over in the discussion forum, if you look over there now I think you can still see one of the two threads. The one organizing it explained the concept behind it. Then, they mentioned which ships would be used (Hood, Bismarck, Prinz Eugen, etc.) available in game, and the primary and secondary objectives, for both sides, including victory conditions for both sides. It was set for a Friday night in training room. I never heard how it ended up, but it looked good on paper. I just went back and found the thread, here ya go.

Edited by Purg473

[5BS]
Members
4,458 posts

With the bad decision to utilize a tiering system, most battles would be hopelessly 1 Sided.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,128 posts
8,749 battles

The problem is there are very few battles that can be done with the game engine without a large amount of bathtubing, scaling down of the forces. Denmark Strait is very doable as the only ships that mattered for the actual fight were the Bismarck & Prinz Eugen along with the Hood & Prince of Wales, the sinking of the Prince of Wales & Repulse. Most of the other small actions have ships that we have no suitable substitutes although the Weymouth could substitute for the HMAS Sydney in its fight against the SMS Emden. That pretty much ends what is possible to replay without that bathtubing.

[REEF]
Beta Testers
625 posts
7,901 battles

I would very much like to try some of these scenario fights where you have ships from the same country on each side, or allies in the case of the CV.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,305 posts
3,883 battles

I think some historical events would be quite fun to do as Scenarios.

One I thought would be interesting would be the Naval Battle of Casablanca.  Play as a destroyer and defend Big Mamie as she hammers the base and Jean Bart.  Bonuses can include disrupting Vichy French warships, decimating land-based installations and protecting the Ranger as she helps with the assault.

[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,391 posts
4,284 battles

Imagine all those many many Bismarck players waiting forever in queue for a game (and then complaining about it on the forum), because there's nowhere near as many Hood players to make a match with. :Smile_trollface:

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,796 battles

What do you guys think about the First Battle of Savo Island?  IJN and USN Light and Heavy Cruisers and destroyers.

Members
705 posts
21 hours ago, AMajor said:

Not sure how we would do this.  Training room perhaps?  Maybe this could be one of WOWs "things" that they promote.

The multiple naval battles over Guadalcanal and the rest of the Pacific

Even earlier, maybe we could play Jutland again

The battle over the Atlantic would have to involve subs...hmmm

We'd want to think about some of the Russian naval battles..not so well known but important.

Just wondering how much fun it would be for a bunch of ship captains who knew their history to refight the battles.  The outcomes would be ......interesting

Anyone else interested?

I would be interested, except that our game mechanics are World of Tanks-derived arcade, not an accurate historical or technical simulation.

The Hood and Bismarck did not cower bow-on to each other behind islands waiting for the Norfolk and Prinz Eugen to spot for them.

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,796 battles
1 minute ago, So_lt_Goes said:

I would be interested, except that our game mechanics are World of Tanks-derived arcade, not an accurate historical or technical simulation.

I think that we can get around that be setting some ground rules for gameplay.  Yes, it will be by the honor system, but if a player doesn't follow the rules when they play the first time, the "owner" of the training room can deny them if they request to play again

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,796 battles
11 hours ago, XX_Emeraldking_XX said:

I once thought about a Guadalcanal scenario (I think we all know what ship I would play).

Just remember, she was badly beaten in that battle in real life.  You'd have to find a way to do better

[LOU1]
Members
2,851 posts
7,980 battles

Here are some to give you some ideas for setup:

Edited by ExploratorOne

[O_O]
Members
665 posts
6,038 battles

id like to see what would have happened at battle of Coral Sea, Midway, Leyte Gulf...

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,017 posts
11,538 battles

We did the Battle of Midway back in beta once in a training room.  Organize it on the forums, and try to get everyone into chat for the event.  Each fleet would have their own chat channel that they'd go into right before the battle starts.  Schedule a time, then get people to sign up in advance to play a ship they want.  Get a few extras because some folks will not show up.  It's almost guaranteed.

Say you're doing Savo Island.

IJN team team could be Chokai, Aoba, Furutaka, Kako, Kinugasa, Yubari, Tenryu, and Yunagi.

in game this is:

- 1x Atago/ARP Takao

- 2x Aoba

- 2x Furutaka (or two more Aoba for balance sake)

- 1x Yubari

- 1x Tenryu

- 1x Kamikaze/Fuijin

The Allied team would be Astoria, Quincy, Vincennes, Chicago, Canberra, and Patterson, Bagley, Ralph Talbot

- 3x NOLA

- 1x Indianapolis (Chicago)

- 1x Perth (Hobart subbing for Canberra, alternatively Yorck or Algerie for 8 gun heavies)

- 3x Sims (in place of Bagley class DDs)

Fight it out and have fun.