You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ebonaries

Ships in movies (SPOILER ALERT!)

49 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
34 posts
6,875 battles
Edited by Ebonaries
  • Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,114 posts
8,741 battles

An oldy but goodie, being on the receiving end of a naval bombardment.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,114 posts
8,741 battles

Two ships that are in the game.

The movie was made long before before it became knowledge to the British was that the captain of the Bismarck was arguing with Admiral Lutgens about fighting and my signature has what Captain Lindemann said when he had enough.

[WOLFB]
Members
34 posts
6,875 battles

Those model ship actions are awesome, only watched this clip of sink the Bismarck before, have seen all of the longest day.

[REEF]
Beta Testers
623 posts
7,894 battles

Thanks, I really enjoyed watching those!

[WOLFB]
Members
34 posts
6,875 battles

No worries, I turned to foreign movies to find some nice hidden ww2 gems.  Eternal Zero, My Way, Hacksaw Ridge are some of my favorite movies.  If you like band of brothers should look into a mini series called Generation War, it's basically the closest thing to a German side band of brothers.  On the topic of oldies but goodies my favorite would probably be Russo-Japanese war movie: Kochi 203 aka Port Arthur (1980), link to trailer below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCuPeeMoSNI

Edited by Ebonaries

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,114 posts
8,741 battles

Long before the era of this game.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,114 posts
8,741 battles

Even farther before the era of this game.

• Cool 1

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
148 posts
4,885 battles

In the movie about the Battle of the River Platte, two of the four British cruisers involved were actually used in the movie. The Graf Spee was represented in the movie by USS Salem.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,114 posts
8,741 battles

SciFi and what is missing here are the 5" barking like rabid chihuahuas.

The irony is this is how the ships in the game fought.

[WOLFB]
Members
34 posts
6,875 battles

@Shannon_Lindsey That is some cool history, I will give it a look.  Quite a bummer they scrapped Dreadnought.  Lot of firsts in that ship, like being the only battleship to sink a submarine by ramming it.  The captain of said submarine who managed to sink 3 british cruisers in one engagement earlier in WW1.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,478 posts
8,034 battles
3 hours ago, Ebonaries said:

Looks like WG did the CGI for a few of these. On thw other hand, i dont think there were any of the Iowa's or fast BBs at D-Day; American ones anyway.

Thanks for sharing.

[WOLFB]
Members
34 posts
6,875 battles

@Crokodone That particular movie My Way was based on this guy. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yang_Kyoungjong

He was a Korean who was forced into the Japanese military.  Fought the Russians and was taken prisoner then forced into their army.  Fought the Germans and was taken prisoner and forced into their army to end up on the beaches of Normandy.  Plenty of creative freedom in the movie but more than makes up for it in the battles stretching from China to France and from sides you dont normally get to watch from.

Another curious case:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauri_Törni

Edited by Ebonaries

[TF-64]
Members
363 posts
12,562 battles

The movie battleship's handbrake maneuver makes me laugh every time. The amount of damage that would have caused if the chain didn't just instantly snap would be incredible. Gonna have to check out a bunch of these though. 

[DPG]
Members
816 posts
4,176 battles
1 hour ago, Crokodone said:

Looks like WG did the CGI for a few of these. On thw other hand, i dont think there were any of the Iowa's or fast BBs at D-Day; American ones anyway.

Thanks for sharing.

By D-Day all of the Iowa class BBs were in the Pacific. The Missouri hadn't been commissioned yet.  The BBs at Normandy were the Nevada, Texas, Arkansas, HMS Nelson and Rodney, HMS Ramillies and Warspite.

Edited by Amenhir

[WOLFB]
Members
34 posts
6,875 battles

@Amenhir @Crokodone This is the scene from My Way.  Are they not just heavy cruisers like the Augusta, Quincy, and Tuscaloosa that were there?  The Quincy in particular has those 2 back cranes in addition to the 2 masts, 2 stacks, and I think turret layout.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Augusta_(CA-31)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Quincy_(CA-71)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Tuscaloosa_(CA-37)

Screenshot_20181025-234356_YouTube.jpg

Edited by Ebonaries

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,362 posts
7,930 battles

The trailer for "Eternal Zero" reminds me of Gundam with the music. Seen a scene from it before of A6M5's vs P-51D's (actually showing 2 of my issues with in-game CV's, that any decent pilot would be heads up enough strafing in game shouldn't work like it does, and that in the hands of a decent pilot IJN planes were still on par with US planes) is really well done, other than the fact the Zero pilot dives given the American planes always had an edge on the Zero there and the controls became heavy fast, meaning easier for the still able to more easily maneuver P-51 to shoot him down. 

Also, I really miss the old style war movies that I could actually watch. I think the last one I was able to was "Pearl Harbor" because it's the last one that didn't go for an R rating. You didn't need to show people reduced to half a torso with an arm, organs hanging out or any of that, things blew up, and you saw people fall or vanish, or you maybe saw some red/dark colour as they were shot and just dropped, and they tried to at least stick with history with a little license and based on facts they had at the time. Miss films that you could actually show to a history/social studies class outside of maybe senior year without a permission slip cause R-rating for the violence. Things where they can maybe learn some facts and get an idea of what it was like as opposed to a chance of some facts and a potentially stomach churning experience. Cause it really kinda sucks to have lunch, go to class, and then see the opening of "Saving Private Ryan" when your not good with blood and guts stuff.