You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
shokNgnaw

What good is Capt skill, Priority Target?

54 comments in this topic

Members
30 posts
1,491 battles

Watching some videos of WoWs play and it seems that a lot of players set PT for a level 1 skill. I tend to choose Preventive Maintenance when I get a new ship with a 3 pt captn so I'm wondering if I'm missing something here. What good is PT? I pretty much assume that any ship I see is aiming at me anyway.  :-)

Beta Testers
1,166 posts
7,952 battles

It lets you know if anybody is aiming at you, and alerts you to when they fire.

So, you know when to run, or when they aren';t paying attention to you, and you can make course changes early to dodge stuff.   You'd be amazed how often you assume somebody would be aiming at you... and they aren't. 

• Cool 1

Members
30 posts
1,491 battles
11 minutes ago, Nukelavee45 said:

It lets you know if anybody is aiming at you, and alerts you to when they fire.

So, you know when to run, or when they aren';t paying attention to you, and you can make course changes early to dodge stuff.   You'd be amazed how often you assume somebody would be aiming at you... and they aren't. 

Wouldn't Incoming Fire be better for that?

ETA: With PM giving a 30% reduction in probability of damage, seems like a much better choice than PT.

Edited by shokNgnaw

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
165 posts
1,530 battles

For DDs, I typically pick PM. Everything else gets PT. 

Personal style choice. 

[SIM]
Members
2,438 posts
4,080 battles

It lets you determine whether or not that you’re actually in danger when you’re detected. 

• Cool 1

Members
30 posts
1,491 battles
2 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

It lets you determine whether or not that you’re actually in danger when you’re detected. 

I guess, but I just assume, if I'm detected, that someone is aiming at me and start the WASD dance.

• Cool 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,776 posts
12,900 battles
16 minutes ago, shokNgnaw said:

I pretty much assume that any ship I see is aiming at me anyway.  :-)

It's often not the ship you "see" that will kill you.

As for the assumption, knowing and assuming is a big difference.  For example, you will be surprised how often you can just sit some place...detected...and no one targets you back.  The PT tic lets you know you've got someone's attention..and it's time to scoot...or smoke up.

• Cool 2

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
936 posts
6,351 battles

Priority Target is a MUST for coop... b/c when one bot targets you EVERY bot that has line-of-sight targets you.

[B2P]
Members
498 posts
13,243 battles

I usually pick PT for DDs and Cruisers, since they can't stand up for long under concentrated fire.  It usually isn't a concern when only 1 ship is targeting you, but when 6, 7 or 8 ships are.... that's when it's time to turn tail and run!!!

[-TAB-]
Alpha Tester
4,072 posts
7,519 battles

Priority Target is useful for knowing when you can take certain risks, like exposing a full broadside for a moment to fire all your guns and then angling back before someone notices and targets you.

• Cool 2

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
15 minutes ago, CatSnipah said:

Personal style choice. 

Yeah, because in a DD, if I'm detected, I assume they're shooting at me.  So why bother with PT?

[HINON]
Members
8,838 posts
4 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

Yeah, because in a DD, if I'm detected, I assume they're shooting at me.  So why bother with PT?

It depends on the DD as they have differing playstyles.

Beta Testers
1,465 posts
8,760 battles
2 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

It is  a huge help in PvE.  Bots target by specific algorithms.  If you know generally how they target, you can control aggro, and that indicator is a good way to know when that prioritization has changed to you or from you.

In PvP, it is less reliable because a player can pre-aim without targeting you , then target you at the last moment to improve dispersion, so it is no guarantee that you are safe.  However, most people don't bother and/or don't know to do this, so it is a fair indication that you might be safe.  Also, there is a huge difference in assuming you are being targeted and knowing that 5 or 6 people are currently targeting you.  So it still has value.  It is also good confirmation.  For instance, that ship that has been firing at you turns its turrets away.  If he stops targeting you there is a good chance that he has selected a higher priority target.  The reverse would be true.  You are targeting a ship and no one is paying attention to you, but its guns start turning your way.  If your priority target indicator suddenly increases by one, it is a fairly sure bet he is looking to shoot at you.

[SIM]
Members
2,438 posts
4,080 battles
24 minutes ago, shokNgnaw said:

I guess, but I just assume, if I'm detected, that someone is aiming at me and start the WASD dance.

You can certainly get away with that on some ships, though if your vessel has poor turret traverse speed or limited firing arcs then you can actually end up hurting your damage output by swinging your boat around needlessly. 

[INTEL]
Members
6,627 posts
25,323 battles

One thing is to be targeted by one, another by 3 or more. This lets you know.

If you see a DD coming and you have a PT count of 1, the DD is targeting you, Once you see it stop targeting you, then does it again, you know it just launched torps.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,503 battles
48 minutes ago, shokNgnaw said:

Watching some videos of WoWs play and it seems that a lot of players set PT for a level 1 skill. I tend to choose Preventive Maintenance when I get a new ship with a 3 pt captn so I'm wondering if I'm missing something here. What good is PT? I pretty much assume that any ship I see is aiming at me anyway.  :-)

I use it as a must have on my Cruisers if it’s 3-4 I better get out of there I’m big time targeted, DD not so much and B.B. don’t care

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,567 posts
3,739 battles

It's sorta useful in situations where you are spotted and targeted, but no shells are coming your way. It tells you that there is either a DD spotting you and maintaining the spotting or if there are multiple ships targeting you and you noticed that you are next to an island or obstruction where if you were to move away from it those pre-aimed guns will fire upon you at the moment there is clearance.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,751 posts
6,716 battles
58 minutes ago, shokNgnaw said:

Knowing whether people are aiming at you is more useful than always assuming that they are.

44 minutes ago, shokNgnaw said:

With PM giving a 30% reduction in probability of damage, seems like a much better choice than PT.

PM doesn't do all that much. It's useful on some ships, but only if you have a left-over 19th point.

Btw, I hope you're aware it doesn't increase durability of secondary or AA guns.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,257 posts
24,787 battles

I get PM on my DDs.

Cruisers and BBs get PT.

[O_O]
Members
675 posts
6,062 battles
1 hour ago, shokNgnaw said:

??

was thinking of another capt skill so i removed my post.  other people already answered your questions. lol :Smile_hiding:

the PT skill lets you know how many ships are aiming at you at that moment.  

personally, i don't need to know that...cause once i get shot at...hell!!! you will know you are being targeted...i don't need a counter of how many players are aiming at me to tell me to get the F out of the area.  lol the detection indicator is already there.  once you are detected ....you know some one is aiming at you just by instincts alone.  so, for me that PT skill is kinda redundant and a waste of Capt points. 

Edited by Shinnidan

[-S-R-]
Members
317 posts
7,107 battles
1 hour ago, CatSnipah said:

Personal style choice. 

Same.  I don’t take it in DDs because in a DD, I DO assume everyone is targeting me because they usually are - especially in ranked.  In other ships, it’s a good skill to take.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,910 posts
3,297 battles

assuming someone is aiming at you, and knowing if someone is aiming at you can spell the difference between securing a kill or not.

I use Priority Target on Harugumo, and so long as I do not see anyone aiming at me, I keep firing. If 1 ship is aiming at me, it depends on the ship on whether or not I keep firing. 2+ enemies aiming is when I go silent, unless I know I can fire off a couple more volleys to help secure a kill.

Securing kills is vital to victory. So knowing when it is you are being aimed at, is vital information so you know exactly when to go dark, instead of guessing. The longer you can fire on a target, the more likely a kill will be secured.

• Cool 1

[BOTES]
Members
137 posts
3,108 battles

It supplements situational awareness and can give you information you may not be able to get otherwise, such as a DD lurking on a flank when he was last spotted halfway across the map. It's hard to quantify how much it'll help you when all it is is pure information.