You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Remember when Massachusetts was coming out?

60 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,798 posts

You had all the nay-saying crowd, who would say things like (even after we found out what the stats were)

• No American BB can ever brawl.
  • The instant you get close you'll have to turn broadside and get obliterated.
  • No ship can brawl without a turtleback!
  • German BBs will crush you.  Tirpitz is the best brawler, forever!
  • The 5"/38 will never be a good weapon for brawling, even if they give it it's historical ROF and buff it to high heaven.

Well I think anybody who has played the Massachusetts can tell them definitively they were wrong.  Here's just a couple recent games.  Any ship that can regularly get multiple close combat kills I would say is a decent brawler.  LOL

Thank you WG, for giving us the most fun ship in the game!

#Loveit
#AlabamagateWasWorthIt

Edit: Notice how important secondary fires are?  That is to say. . . not at all.

#IFHEbuildFTW

MassSecondaries.jpg

MassSecondaries3.jpg

MassKraken1.jpg

MassKraken2.jpg

• Cool 7
  • Bad 1

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
165 posts
1,527 battles

I love it.  I don't do a lot of BBs, but this one is a monster.  When I need my secondary fix, I roll between this and the Tirpitz.  

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,798 posts
8 minutes ago, VeatherVitch said:

Makes me think a black Mass is in my future...

I might have to get one too... even though I bought the ultimate package on the regular Mass.  I’ll have to see how it looks.

[PVE]
Members
1,225 posts
4,744 battles
26 minutes ago, CatSnipah said:

I love it.  I don't do a lot of BBs, but this one is a monster.  When I need my secondary fix, I roll between this and the Tirpitz.  

That^^^^^:cap_win:

• Cool 1

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles

Especially with MFcfS.

Such fun watching a tight clutch of 5/38 flying towards a destroyer.

Beta Testers
2,825 posts
4,003 battles

is this a subtle way to say that le terrible might not be that bad?

[WOLF2]
Members
121 posts
4,587 battles
8 minutes ago, coffin_cheater said:

Beating up equal amd lower tiers is easy im Mass, got any tier x game results?

I'm on my phone so here are the xp screens. I have screenshots at home. It's a bit tougher to farm awards with tier tens since most folks are passive max range spammers.  I still do well

5ba222a064165_2018-08-1908_17_47-WorldofWarships.thumb.png.7072cb9cde48dd104a21c1701152be0a.png

5.thumb.png.78022c87d0d47b25bd211287430a02cc.png

3.thumb.png.2b84e4578d7a73e853614a6ccfc8ebe2.png

Members
158 posts
9 minutes ago, coffin_cheater said:

Beating up equal amd lower tiers is easy im Mass, got any tier x game results?

I was just looking through some screenshots, and I have a score card from a tier 10 game where I did 164k dmg. She uptiers nicely. 

Members
2,881 posts
1,365 battles

The SoDaks sure do shed health astonishingly quickly....

First your at 100%, now ur half n dropping quickly, without taking a citadel hit....  They burn down crazy quick, do they have per ship burn rates in this game?

Or do the SoDaks have alot of soft stuff to shoot? They dont feel that durable.....

As for Mass, damn does she never get her own tier....its like they just need to buff her n put her in t10....she lives in it...

[ADAPT]
Members
809 posts
12,773 battles

Ahh the t8 ships in t8 ships. No t10 battles in mass yet?.. Wont be the same result. Hehe

• Bad 1

Members
54 posts
10,318 battles

I picked up the Alabama when it first came out more as a collectable  as at the time it was speculated that the Mass was not going to be a ship for the masses only testers. I have been wanting to go pick up the Mass and player her in game. I'm not a BB main but like to get in close with my CAs.

I notice that all main batteries used AP and not HE. which is interesting with a few other threads going on in the forum.

Not saying that all ships should have outstanding secondaries, but I have always been frustrated with the anemic range WG has on them, the drunken sailors manning those guns. Give them half of what a Mass or a Tirptz  has.

[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
55 posts
4,612 battles

Couldn't agree with you more.  It's without a doubt my favorite ship to play.  You're clearly way better in her than I am though.  

Haven't hit 200k dmg yet, but I did get 4 Close Quarters Experts in 1 game last week.  I can't imagine how you're getting 95k secondary dmg.  I think I'm running your build, and I might have hit 70k once.

As for the Tier 10 question, she uptiers pretty good.  Tier 9 games aren't a worry, but the 10s sure can be.  I worry more about the flame-throwing CLs than I do about the BBs.  The biggest problem with Mass against 10s is range.  It's just plain tough to get into range for your main or secondary batteries against long range BB fire, rapid fire cruisers, and low-detection DDs.  On maps that allow you to get into the Mass's preferred engagement range (<15km) however, you can still be quite effective against Tier 10s.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,940 posts
15 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

You had all the nay-saying crowd, who would say things like (even after we found out what the stats were)

• No American BB can ever brawl.
  • The instant you get close you'll have to turn broadside and get obliterated.
  • No ship can brawl without a turtleback!
  • German BBs will crush you.  Tirpitz is the best brawler, forever!
  • The 5"/38 will never be a good weapon for brawling, even if they give it it's historical ROF and buff it to high heaven.

Well I think anybody who has played the Massachusetts can tell them definitively they were wrong.  Here's just a couple recent games.  Any ship that can regularly get multiple close combat kills I would say is a decent brawler.  LOL

Thank you WG, for giving us the most fun ship in the game!

#Loveit
#AlabamagateWasWorthIt

Edit: Notice how important secondary fires are?  That is to say. . . not at all.

#IFHEbuildFTW

MassSecondaries.jpg

MassSecondaries3.jpg

MassKraken1.jpg

MassKraken2.jpg

:Smile_great:

15 hours ago, VeatherVitch said:

Makes me think a black Mass is in my future...

15 hours ago, CatSnipah said:

15 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

I might have to get one too... even though I bought the ultimate package on the regular Mass.  I’ll have to see how it looks.

2 hours ago, LCPL4ever said:

I'm on my phone so here are the xp screens. I have screenshots at home. It's a bit tougher to farm awards with tier tens since most folks are passive max range spammers.  I still do well

5ba222a064165_2018-08-1908_17_47-WorldofWarships.thumb.png.7072cb9cde48dd104a21c1701152be0a.png

5.thumb.png.78022c87d0d47b25bd211287430a02cc.png

3.thumb.png.2b84e4578d7a73e853614a6ccfc8ebe2.png

2 hours ago, Ens_Stovall said:

I picked up the Alabama when it first came out more as a collectable  as at the time it was speculated that the Mass was not going to be a ship for the masses only testers. I have been wanting to go pick up the Mass and player her in game. I'm not a BB main but like to get in close with my CAs.

I notice that all main batteries used AP and not HE. which is interesting with a few other threads going on in the forum.

Not saying that all ships should have outstanding secondaries, but I have always been frustrated with the anemic range WG has on them, the drunken sailors manning those guns. Give them half of what a Mass or a Tirptz  has.

2 hours ago, Croda said:

Couldn't agree with you more.  It's without a doubt my favorite ship to play.  You're clearly way better in her than I am though.  

Haven't hit 200k dmg yet, but I did get 4 Close Quarters Experts in 1 game last week.  I can't imagine how you're getting 95k secondary dmg.  I think I'm running your build, and I might have hit 70k once.

As for the Tier 10 question, she uptiers pretty good.  Tier 9 games aren't a worry, but the 10s sure can be.  I worry more about the flame-throwing CLs than I do about the BBs.  The biggest problem with Mass against 10s is range.  It's just plain tough to get into range for your main or secondary batteries against long range BB fire, rapid fire cruisers, and low-detection DDs.  On maps that allow you to get into the Mass's preferred engagement range (<15km) however, you can still be quite effective against Tier 10s.

:Smile_great:All depends on how much they want for the  Black Friday Containers   The only Remaining Question Is why Do We Have To Wait Till Almost  The End Of The Month?:Smile_facepalm::Smile_unsure::Smile_sad:

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Funny 1

[NSF]
Beta Testers
4,976 posts
5,681 battles

Pretty sure most of the original worries were based around the first iteration, which indeed would have been absolute garbo.

Then they buffed the ever loving [edited] out of the secondaries, and everyone decided it was the best thing ever.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,747 posts
9,453 battles

It's a fantastic ship. Only reason I'm not playing it more is that I'm getting serious about grinding legendary mods.

• Funny 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,747 posts
9,453 battles
44 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

So  OP  what Commander do you have on her and  skills?:Smile_veryhappy::Smile_izmena::Smile_izmena::Smile_trollface:

Ooooo, you brought up a big point of disagreement.

Personally, I feel that they use a cripplingly overspecialized build, requiring a dedicated captain. It probably screws them over as many times as it allows them to produce numbers like the screenshots. 

I use my Des Moines captain in mine to great effect. AFT and CE, then build for survival. 

On the flip side, the fact that there is strong disagreement means that there are multiple viable builds, which is a good thing. 

• Cool 1

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,356 posts
3,559 battles

Love the ship, won it in a WG'ing twitter contest. I havent been playing much lately due to lack of interest but when I do log on its either Mass or Haida. 

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,940 posts
11 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Ooooo, you brought up a big point of disagreement.

Personally, I feel that they use a cripplingly overspecialized build, requiring a dedicated captain. It probably screws them over as many times as it allows them to produce numbers like the screenshots. 

I use my Des Moines captain in mine to great effect. AFT and CE, then build for survival. 

On the flip side, the fact that there is strong disagreement means that there are multiple viable builds, which is a good thing. 

So no Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armaments?   I know Some People Swear By This:Smile_glasses:

Edited by shadowsrmine

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,747 posts
9,453 battles
3 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

So no Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armaments?   I know Some People Swear By This:Smile_glasses:

Nope. With secondaries with that long of a range, you need to be able to fire from both sides. Even if the accuracy is reduced. 

I play plenty of DD. I don’t care how inaccurate they are, I hate staying in range of secondaries. 

Im always looking for that spot where I can be a wedge and get both sides firing. 

Of course I take the secondary armaments mod so I don’t loose all my secondaries. Even then, one side will sometimes get mostly wiped out. Then, all the points spent on secondaries become worthless.

[WOLF2]
Members
121 posts
4,587 battles
51 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Nope. With secondaries with that long of a range, you need to be able to fire from both sides. Even if the accuracy is reduced. 

I play plenty of DD. I don’t care how inaccurate they are, I hate staying in range of secondaries. 

Im always looking for that spot where I can be a wedge and get both sides firing. 

Of course I take the secondary armaments mod so I don’t loose all my secondaries. Even then, one side will sometimes get mostly wiped out. Then, all the points spent on secondaries become worthless.

I go full meme build because if I need both sides to fire, I screwed up (positioning, map awareness). This ships gimmick is secondaries, so why not take full advantage of it's gimmick and maximize this strength jmho. 

I may get the black version and go for a different build to see what I can do with it

• Cool 1