You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KaptainKaybe

Simple Suggestion for CV Rework

11 comments in this topic

[DRACS]
Members
3,340 posts

Disclaimer: I am not a current CV player as I don't like the RTS style gameplay, especially since the introduction of strafing. Although I own Saipan (got it when it first released on a whim) and Enterprise (cause it's Enterprise, duh). I *will* be playing CVs if the rework goes live in a good way as third person POV flying through clouds of heavy flak looks fun as hell.

So here's my concern about the current rework gameplay: No direct control over carriers while using planes, and no direct control over fighters. Needless to say, absolutely no one is happy with this at all.

Suggestion: Allow direct control over all three as below.

- Map the 1, 2, and 3 keys to take control over your current attack plane squad, your current fighter squad, and your carrier, respectively. Or 1 for the carrier as it is now. Whatever.

- The planes or carriers that are not currently selected will simply sit in place (or fly in circles), or they will keep going to their selected waypoints if programmed for that before selecting another key. If those planes are currently in the middle of enemy AA, too bad so sad. Shoulda moved them to safety before flipping squads. This is just to prevent rapid back and forth abuse. Another possibility is to put a cooldown when flipping out of a squad, so you don't get some highly caffeinated players hammering the 1 and 2 buttons until the friction starts a fire.

- The R, T, etc ... consumable buttons will simply differ based on the currently active key. One of these should be the one to recall the squad. Attack planes will simply start their attack run by clicking the left mouse button, and drop their payload by clicking it again. If the second left click is not done, they'll just cancel their attack run.

- FIGHTERS: All fighters will have a certain amount of ammo. This ammo should definitely be finite and used sparingly to reward skill. Use WASD to fly around, and then left click to fire your guns directly ahead of your fighters. Use short bursts to make sure you don't blow through the whole ammo rack. In WW2, fighters burned through their ammo really really quickly when holding down the trigger and the same should happen here. Given the ability to WASD and speed up or slow down, two fighter squads going head on should make for some very entertaining and challenging dog fighting. Certainly better than the current strafe mechanic.

And that's it. Thoughts?

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,135 posts
8,749 battles

Direct control of fighters just brings us back to a light version of the current meta where the players will be forced to take their active fighters and we will end up with 11 vs 11 battles while the CV play fighter pilot and cause little if any actual damage.

[5D]
Members
1,182 posts
7,086 battles

You're basically saying that you want exactly what we already have, just not with a top down view.

[SBS]
Members
2,403 posts
2,248 battles

You're getting too close to what what WG is trying to remove. 

I might be one of the only people that feels not being able to control the carrier with planes in the air is not at all unreasonable.  It also has it perks of being able to recall your planes and immediately launch new ones to attack what ever is threatening you.

I really think player controlled fighters should be added.  However, you should still only control one squadron at a time.  If you want to defend with your fighters you can't attack surface ships.  That way it would be very easy to balance fighters.   

[DRACS]
Members
3,340 posts

The current problem is that carrier players can control up to eight squads at a time. My suggestion limits this to two: a single attack squad and a single fighter squad. I don't personally consider two squadrons a problem. But perhaps you do.

Also, a lot of players actually enjoy playing with fighters and protecting their team (and themselves) from strike aircraft. The current CV rework model turns fighters into a consumable that's not only pure RNG in terms of effectiveness, but also only allows those fighters to spawn where their own planes are rather than where the enemy strike planes are.

Also, two squads solves the boredom issue that some are complaining about. If one squad runs out of ammo, you still have the second squad to play while waiting for the first to come back into the fight via waypoint plotting.

Edited by KaptainKaybe

[5D]
Members
1,182 posts
7,086 battles
9 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

The current problem is that carrier players can control up to eight squads at a time. My suggestion limits this to two: a single attack squad and a single fighter squad. I don't personally consider two squadrons a problem. But perhaps you do.

Also, a lot of players actually enjoy playing with fighters and protecting their team (and themselves) from strike aircraft. The current CV rework model turns fighters into a consumable that's not only pure RNG in terms of effectiveness, but also only allows those fighters to spawn where their own planes are rather than where the enemy strike planes are.

I'm leaning more and more towards not liking the rework. Just too many problems with what I think a CV should be. Though it was visually, wicked noice.

But what you're suggesting is basically a first person version of what we have now, but minimized to only two squadrons. Why go to the trouble of changing so much for what basically only adds up to a nerfed version of what we already have?

Current fighter strafe? Short burst of high dpm in a straight line. It is offset by chewing through ones ammunition. You eventually have to return and rearm.

You also currently can only control a single squad at a time. It may seek like high end CVs are doing more, but they're just wicked quick at switching squads. You switch by hitting the correspondingly labeled number for the squad.

Edited by Spartias

[DRACS]
Members
3,340 posts
1 minute ago, Spartias said:

I'm leaning more and more towards not liking the rework. Just too many problems with what I think a CV should be. Though it was visually, wicked noice.

But what you're suggesting is basically a first person version of what we have now, but minimized to only two squadrons. Why go to the trouble of changing so much for what basically only adds up to a nerfed version of what we already have?

Current fighter strafe? Short burst of high dpm in a straight line. It is offset by chewing through ones ammunition. You eventually have to return and rearm.

The problem with current model is the sheer number of squads used for spotting as well as the high skill floor where just a few mistakes against a seasoned CV player can leave you deplaned for either a few minutes, or sometimes the entire match, effectively losing the game for your whole team due to the sheer dominance of carriers over every single other ship type. The fact that it's an RTS in a third person game doesn't help either. Carriers NEEDED to be nerfed. Everyone knows that. Its the how they should be nerfed that everyone is debating.

[5D]
Members
1,182 posts
7,086 battles
7 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

The problem with current model is the sheer number of squads used for spotting as well as the high skill floor where just a few mistakes against a seasoned CV player can leave you deplaned for either a few minutes, or sometimes the entire match, effectively losing the game for your whole team due to the sheer dominance of carriers over every single other ship type. The fact that it's an RTS in a third person game doesn't help either. Carriers NEEDED to be nerfed. Everyone knows that. Its the how they should be nerfed that everyone is debating.

If you think CV's need to be nerfed, then you don't play CV, or you don't play them well. 

People don't know, or don't want to play the way one needs to against a CV. They're actually pretty well balanced. It's AA that's wicked unbalanced. It's too weak on the low end and too strong on the high end.

[SBS]
Members
2,403 posts
2,248 battles
Just now, KaptainKaybe said:

Also, two squads solves the boredom issue that some are complaining about. If one squad runs out of ammo, you still have the second squad to play while waiting for the first to come back into the fight via waypoint plotting.

WG wants CVs to be simple to play so I imagine multi-tasking is out of the question, even if its only two squadrons.  Also, WG wants to remove the ability of a good CV player from canceling out the other.  With both fighters and attack aircraft at the same time the good CV players will dominate the less skilled.  The skill gap would be back.  

I didn't have any issue with being bored flying back to engage because I was looking around deciding what I should be prioritizing and planning the best route to carry out my attacks.  Maybe its because I like DDs and you spend a lot of time planning your moves and moving into position so I'm used to it.

[HELLS]
Members
1,684 posts
15,185 battles
48 minutes ago, Spartias said:

If you think CV's need to be nerfed, then you don't play CV, or you don't play them well. 

People don't know, or don't want to play the way one needs to against a CV. They're actually pretty well balanced. It's AA that's wicked unbalanced. It's too weak on the low end and too strong on the high end.

This:Smile_great:

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,321 posts
3,633 battles

So I'm going to break this down again: What are the aircraft in the air going to do while you're controlling your ship? Passively perma-spotting if they just loiter in a circle while you're doing whatever with the ship controls? Flying in a straight line? One of these is more problematic than the other.

Again the simple solution will be to just allow your Q, E, and heal and dcp keys be active with planes in the air. I reckon this is an eventuality.