You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Threat Assessment Thursday - Getting Detected

9 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
764 posts
5,740 battles

Image result for world war 2 navy lookout

*pictured - lookout onboard HMS Viscount keeping watch for enemy contact in the North Atlantic, October 22, 1942*

What course of action do you take after you see you've been detected?

There are several ways to be detected in game: visually detected, spotted by aircraft, and being picked up by surveillance radar and hydro-acoustics.

No matter which class of ship you're commanding, being detected by the enemy fleet can mean lethal incoming fire.

When the enemy fleet spots you, what's your plan of action to survive and take the fight to them?

"The difference between a good and great officer is about ten seconds." - Arleigh Burke, US Navy

#threatassessmentthursday

#anchorsaweigh

[TBW]
Members
6,298 posts
11,856 battles

Cruisers pucker factor 7, DD pucker factor 5, BB pucker factor 0, CV I don't care (yet).

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,118 posts
8,741 battles

If I am simply detected I will not make major course changes but when Priority Target kicks off it is now drive like a drunk time.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,158 posts
9,613 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

If I am simply detected I will not make major course changes but when Priority Target kicks off it is now drive like a drunk time.

Torpedo lock doesn't trigger Priority Target. Seems some (not me) have even gotten good at taking shots without locking on. I don't have PT on some of my ships (thought PM might be more valuable first, come back later for PT) so always have to react as if I am targeted. Generally means angling or evasive maneuvers. If torps are the main threat, I might continue straight for a while to let the DD take his shot (thinking I am a complete Potato) and then make a turn.

• Cool 1

[STW-D]
Members
1,835 posts
5,651 battles

In a CV: find whatever is detecting me and throw everything I have at it.

In a BB: if I'm not detected, you bet I will be in a few seconds when I open up on some unsuspecting cruiser's broadside after angling. Apart from which, part of a BB's job is to tank fire for the rest of the team, which you obviously cannot do if you're undetected. 

In a CA: the only reason I'd ever be undetected in a cruiser is if I want to reposition and/or retreat and need to go dark for that. Otherwise, my guns will usually keep blazing away (although usually not all of them—I prefer to angle first before opening fire).

In a DD: If playing a gunboat destroyer (like Gnevy or Minsk), carry on as usual—it's my job to draw enemy fire, after all, and any shells that fail to hit me are shells not aimed at my teammates. If not, then either take down said threat (like if it's another enemy destroyer that i can outgun) or flee behind an island or out of detection range. Smoke is usually a last resort, since it obscures friendly LoS just as much as the enemy's.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
468 posts
6,343 battles

Typically depends on the ship and how I was detected.  Always take a look at what ships I may encounter

DD

Radar - get out of range for a few seconds (duration is short).  Go dark.  Come back for more fun

Visual range - If someone I think I can take Ill try and fight it out.  If it looks like they have friends and I have no support, run.

Smoke I use to break line of sight while running away or to help hide others.  Very seldom do I sit in it due to it doesnt help spotting.

CA

Its expected that eventually you'll get spotted.  Depending on the threat, angle or try and disengage.

BB

You can be seen from space once you shoot :) 

giphy.gif

• Cool 1