You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
desmo_2

Ranked Sprint #1 - how many games did it take you for R1?

113 comments in this topic

[O_O]
Members
4,338 posts
9,312 battles

I have never "ranked out" before, and I was pleased with this "mini-Ranked" version.  The grind in a regular Ranked season is just too brutal for me to enjoy.

Tier 5 was fun.  Giulio Cesare was predictably strong, but I was surprised at how minor the impact of the Kamikaze sisters were.  Here were my ship selections: 

1. Kamikaze R     x10 - 6W, 4L.  #1 in 7 of those.
  2. Murmansk       x8 - 3W, 5L.  #1 in 2 of those.
  3. Nicholas          x7.  6W, 1L.  #1 in 6 of those.  My last 7 games were all with Nicholas.  With the success I was having, I wasn't about to switch.
  4. Giulio Cesare  x3.  2W, 1L.  #1 in all 3.  100% #1 finishes...I don't know why I didn't play her more?
  5. Konigsberg      x1.  1W, not #1.  An experiment.  Not a failed one, but I didn't try her again.  I would have if I wasn't doing so well with Kamikaze R and Nicholas.

I finished #1 in 18 of 29 games, or 62%.  Destroyers were my preferred ship because I found myself able to influence the game more.  In some games there were a lot of destroyers, so my second choice was cruisers.  However, MM hates me, so most of the time when I picked a cruiser I got a BB heavy game with few DD's.  So it goes, sometimes.

I liked the 6v6 format, as well.  Hopefully 8v8 (or whatever the next episode is going to be) doesn't change things too much.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
6,632 posts
25,386 battles

Congrats. Now how many of those were solo? I am at R5 at the moment, playing all solo so far and most the losses were due awful potato teams, esp in the morning. Found afternoons/prime time way better, when the better players came out. Will start looking for DIVs to improve the percentage. I have used only Gremy so far.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,979 posts
12,488 battles

39 battles, split about evenly between Gremyashchy and Giulio Cesare, all solo.

I had a straight 7 match losing streak at one point. Fortunately it was at an irrevocable rank so all in all I only lost 1 star that day.

Members
667 posts
4,267 battles

27 all solo. Took 6 of those to get the last star (I wasn't playing well for the most part that last day). Mix of ARP Kongo clones, Okt. Rev, and Gremy. 

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
1,390 posts
1,503 battles

Got to rank 5 relatively easily..   Mostly playing GC..   Hit a wall here and have had two awful nights.  Play definitely changes here.  Players/teams are a bit better... The temptation to save the star starts kicking in and a lot of players start quickly prejudging their teams chances and start thinking about that star.   Really noticing that it feels like the DDs for the most part decide the outcome of these games.    Lose most of or all your dds quickly and leave the enemy with 1 or 2 unopposed and its a steamroll as they are able to dictate the BBs heavily.  I'd break our my gremy, but I am such a potato in the tin cans...    Scared to take that much responsibilty.    A lot like trying to play CVs in these matches...show up and suck and you doom your team.    

[TOG]
Members
2,397 posts
14,660 battles

41 battles, all solo. At least 7 of those losses I kept the star. I'm surprised by the number of spudniks playing even at R3. People who decided to yolo to a cap, die and then complain about lack of support.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
1,847 posts
6,817 battles

13, alternated between Kami R & Zuiho with most of the battles being in the Kami R. Done half solo & half divvied.

Fun fact: I sunk more DDs with torps than BBs. Also I found out Zuiho can get through Texas & Guilo AA if you stack your bombers in 1 wave with minimal losses.

Edited by GoldPile
  • Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
2,397 posts
14,660 battles
2 minutes ago, RA6E_ said:

I'd break our my gremy, but I am such a potato in the tin cans...  

I had to "suggest" what to do at  the start. I use the Gremy and it's a good ship when you have to carry.

[-K-]
Members
1,070 posts
7,147 battles

23.  I had 100% win rates from R10 to R5 playing solo in GC and from R4.2 to R1 divved with @GoldPile carrying me in his Kami with me again in GC.  From R5 to R4.2 I had a very up and down frustrating time playing solo on one particular day.  Good DD/BB cooperation is so vital.

Edited by RightYouAreKen

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

24 solo. GC and Bogue. 

Members
510 posts
3,490 battles

18...all in the Nicolas...all solo.  All four losses were in the 6-10 bracket where saving a star was effectively pointless, where I saved 3/4 stars. 

The Nicolas was very strong in a season full of premiums.  I strongly suspect this Sprint format will become a permanent fixture.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,745 posts
11,361 battles

26 matches, I was rocking a Wr in the high 80s but then got stalled out at r4 for a bit, (kept seeing the same enemy divs over and over again) 

[GN_BR]
Members
125 posts
4,623 battles

16 battles all in my Kami, all solo. Next season will use my Konig exclusively to see how it goes. I don’t have any other tier 5’s I enjoy playing.

Edited by cthuhulu

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
1 minute ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

26 matches, I was rocking a Wr in the high 80s but then got stalled out at r4 for a bit, (kept seeing the same enemy divs over and over again) 

Interesting about the divs. I didn’t see a single division the whole time. 

[NDA]
Supertester
4,795 posts
13,629 battles

It took 32 games for the Sinksalot Fleet. 

Made it to Rank 5 with the Kami R but I got tired of having to pull off High Caliber and 4 kill games just to win. So with some advice from a Friendly Smaug I switched the Giulio Cesare and bullied my way to Rank 1. 

I played most of the seasons solo because my current schedule meant I wasn't around to div up with my friends. I did get a div mate for the last 4 games and having someone who can hit what they shoot at is a big help. 

Less stars to earn and more safe ranks helped make this season a little bit less painful. Losing a star because teams are either damage farming or suicidal still sucks. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,745 posts
11,361 battles
Just now, _ENO_ said:

Interesting about the divs. I didn’t see a single division the whole time. 

If you are playing in a div (I was most of the time) then you get a div on the enemy team. On the first or second day of ranked when I was playing once past R5 there was a small pool of divs apparently cause I kept seeing the same 3-4 divs all night. The last couple matches I played solo and didn't have a div in those matches.

[O_O]
Members
4,338 posts
9,312 battles
58 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Now how many of those were solo?

100% solo.

[TSG4]
Members
795 posts
13,706 battles

20 games.  Almost all solo.  I divisioned with a clan mate for 4 games - we lost 3 of those but I was the top scorer so no loss of star.

[O_O]
Members
4,338 posts
9,312 battles
3 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

23 okhotnik was alot of fun

I didn't even try Okhotnik.  It probably would have done very well in the center cap that is surrounded by islands.  Who would dare intrude on that kind of torpedo power in a tight area?

[-BRS-]
Members
1,613 posts
13,249 battles
Just now, desmo_2 said:

I didn't even try Okhotnik.  It probably would have done very well in the center cap that is surrounded by islands.  Who would dare intrude on that kind of torpedo power in a tight area?

With all the islands it was a Big bully :cap_rambo:

Members
416 posts

36 battles. I almost exclusively played the Giulio Cesare, but did play DDs a few times. I was stuck in the Rank 5 area for a while, but once I got to Rank 4 I steamrolled through without any further losses. Success really depended on how good your DDs were, which in turn really depended on whether your team had a Kami R.