You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Advice wanted on Sunray operation.

19 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
5,769 posts
3,925 battles

There are the ships that charge out of the gate through the Filth, and then there is that group of ships that spawns outside it and directly attacks the first tower.

Unfortunately, I have generally been so busy engaging ships in the Filth that I have missed seeing the second spawn emerge. It SEEMS to appear in the same spot each time, but it seems I'm always misplaced to catch it and start shooting at it (on the wrong side of a tower or island). Can someone with a sharper eye who's played this thing a few times recently please tell me where the likely spot(s) is/are so I can position myself appropriately and be ready? I would likely be playing in the Syvatozar, as I seem to do much better in that than the others (the battleship's maximum range is horribly gimped from the Tirpitz, something I hadn't realised at first, and I was surprised and rendered unready the first time I took her out).

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[O7]
Members
511 posts
12,625 battles
2 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

@bfk_ferlyfe can tell you where ships spawn and where a cruiser shouldn't be.... :cap_like:

@Potato_Quality will confirm that he is an expert on that. 

I got one shot twice.  In a row.  Is that good?

[BIAS]
Members
3,035 posts
8,993 battles
20 minutes ago, bfk_ferlyfe said:

I got one shot twice.  In a row.  Is that good?

Yes, more damage and xp for the rest of us. 

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,901 posts
3,282 battles

3 battleships, 1 Destroyer, 2 Cruisers, 1 CV is ideal for this operation.

At the start, One battleship veers off and heads to the first tower. He'll be out of the action for a short while, but he'll be in prime position to intercept the ships that spawn there, specifically the Rasputin.

I have yet to see a match where all three towers are saved (if anyone has replay of it, I would like to see it).
As for the other two Battleships, they stick with the Transylvania, use their repair ability to heal it as needed. Cruisers help keep Trans alive.

CV provides support for the Trans, and uses his heal more for Trans, but to keep other ships alive as well. His armament freezing ability, needs to be saved.

DD - Runs in and torps. Once Gorgon spawns in, the DD runs in and harasses the heck out of it. The speed boost healing the DD while in Filth, makes the DD the strongest ship inside the filth. Try to Rack up at least 50,000 damage before Gorgon spawns in. The Moment DD makes visual contact with Gorgon, he should call in for a Freeze from the CV. At which point, CV becomes free to use Freezing ability. the Freeze does not stop the aircraft, but it does stop the secondaries, and the ships that spawn near the Gorgon. DD should use the TBR against the Gorgon only. If any TBR is left and Gorgon dead, free game. Because of the speed boost heal effect, a DD should have no problems maintaining half health, even on hard mode difficulty, when fighting the Gorgon. AR is therefore still viable on the destroyer, to throw out more torpedoes against the Gorgon.

Because the DD is harassing the Gorgon, all other ships do not have to worry about enemy strike aircraft, just the DD.

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
824 posts
4,535 battles
5 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

There are the ships that charge out of the gate through the Filth, and then there is that group of ships that spawns outside it and directly attacks the first tower.

Unfortunately, I have generally been so busy engaging ships in the Filth that I have missed seeing the second spawn emerge. It SEEMS to appear in the same spot each time, but it seems I'm always misplaced to catch it and start shooting at it (on the wrong side of a tower or island). Can someone with a sharper eye who's played this thing a few times recently please tell me where the likely spot(s) is/are so I can position myself appropriately and be ready? I would likely be playing in the Syvatozar, as I seem to do much better in that than the others (the battleship's maximum range is horribly gimped from the Tirpitz, something I hadn't realised at first, and I was surprised and rendered unready the first time I took her out).

My advice. Wait for Saturday morning and get credit for all four RN missions. Hopefully early on we can form a few good groups and 5 star the mission and move on with our lives.

[5BS]
Members
4,490 posts
10 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

I have yet to see a match where all three towers are saved (if anyone has replay of it, I would like to see it).

I've had it happen several times; you don't want this. See if the tower DOESN'T go down, there isn't enough time added to the clock to swoop down and kill the Gorgon (and sometimes, not enough ships have been destroyed at that point in the Filth). You want the 1st Tower to survive for a little while, but not too long, as it seems to add a % of time to the total. I jhad it die once with only ~20 seconds left on the clock, and it added a paltry 2-3 seconds onto the time.

• Cool 1

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
824 posts
4,535 battles
11 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

3 battleships, 1 Destroyer, 2 Cruisers, 1 CV is ideal for this operation.

At the start, One battleship veers off and heads to the first tower. He'll be out of the action for a short while, but he'll be in prime position to intercept the ships that spawn there, specifically the Rasputin.

As for the other two Battleships, they stick with the Transylvania, use their repair ability to heal it as needed. Cruisers help keep Trans alive.

CV provides support for the Trans, and uses his heal more for Trans, but to keep other ships alive as well. His armament freezing ability, needs to be saved.

DD - Runs in and torps. Once Gorgon spawns in, the DD runs in and harasses the heck out of it. The speed boost healing the DD while in Filth, makes the DD the strongest ship inside the filth. Try to Rack up at least 50,000 damage before Gorgon spawns in. The Moment DD makes visual contact with Gorgon, he should call in for a Freeze from the CV. At which point, CV becomes free to use Freezing ability. the Freeze does not stop the aircraft, but it does stop the secondaries, and the ships that spawn near the Gorgon. DD should use the TBR against the Gorgon only. If any TBR is left and Gorgon dead, free game. Because of the speed boost heal effect, a DD should have no problems maintaining half health, even on hard mode difficulty, when fighting the Gorgon. AR is therefore still viable on the destroyer, to throw out more torpedoes against the Gorgon.

Because the DD is harassing the Gorgon, all other ships do not have to worry about enemy strike aircraft, just the DD.

The towers I think are never saved, their destruction just needs to be delayed until they explode on their own taking the surrounding enemy ships with them. Last Saturday I was in a group that 5 starred the hard mode without a DD. It was a CV and 3 cruisers and 3 BBs. The BBs just rammed Rasputin and the Gorgon to death while the cruisers killed anything that got close to Transylvania. 

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
824 posts
4,535 battles
7 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

I've had it happen several times; you don't want this. See if the tower DOESN'T go down, there isn't enough time added to the clock to swoop down and kill the Gorgon (and sometimes, not enough ships have been destroyed at that point in the Filth). You want the 1st Tower to survive for a little while, but not too long, as it seems to add a % of time to the total. I jhad it die once with only ~20 seconds left on the clock, and it added a paltry 2-3 seconds onto the time.

Okay i need to what the videos again. I just did as I was told and may have been mistaken on the mechanics but I thought you had to defend it till it exploded on its own.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,769 posts
3,925 battles
12 minutes ago, Mainerd said:

My advice. Wait for Saturday morning and get credit for all four RN missions.

Not necessarily. I found it easier and far quicker last night to accumulate seven stars (specifically two four-star games) than to accumulate large amounts of commander XP or money, and last night a single game in the cruiser polished off the 500 main battery hit mission with plenty to spare. Unfortunately my playing time is limited by work and family responsibilities, or I would take the approach you suggest.

[INTEL]
Members
747 posts
7,860 battles
13 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Correct. Having the first tower live too long can put a real hurt on your chances of a 5 star. We pulled a 5 star last night with the first tower surviving but it was unusual circumstances.

@Geist310 was in the filth with a DD and on top of Gorgon very quickly. I had Rasputin spawn nearly on top of my Magnu-S. 4 torps, 5 cits, and a ram will kill Ras in under 30 sec!

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
824 posts
4,535 battles
17 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Not necessarily. I found it easier and far quicker last night to accumulate seven stars (specifically two four-star games) than to accumulate large amounts of commander XP or money, and last night a single game in the cruiser polished off the 500 main battery hit mission with plenty to spare. Unfortunately my playing time is limited by work and family responsibilities, or I would take the approach you suggest.

But on Saturday you have a RN mission for 7 stars. If you save all 4 missions for Saturday then you earn your 7 stars you get credited 28 stars fulfilling all 4 missions at once.  

Edited by Mainerd

Members
135 posts
6 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yea the spawns are in the same spot every time. First group is behind the first tower and second 30 seconds or a minute later in front of it. Shortly after again spawns Rasputin. And The Gorgon seems to spawn after the first tower falls.

So here is the optimal strategy having done it 5 star on hard last week. (which took a few tries for our group until we got the strategy)

First, you don't need to get much closer than to be in range of the Zikasa's and other stuff that comes out of the gate. If you are in the cruiser you want to turn LEFT so that you are on the EAST side of the middle; AWAY from where the first group spawns near the first tower. If you are too close in a cruiser or DD to the spawn you can die easily from concentrated fire. Thus you want to be EAST, away from the spawn but not so far you go wide of the 2nd tower.  You will hold the line at the 2nd tower.

Second, you want the first tower to fall. 2 reasons. If you let them kill the tower the first and second spawns around it die with the tower. Saving you a lot of trouble. The faster they kill it the better. You also need it to die for the Gorgon to spawn to get 5 stars or have the time to kill Gorgon. So the faster you let them kill it the better. You don't really want anyone too close to those spawns distracting them from killing the tower.

Third, now you need to do 3 things; kill Rasputin & Gorgon and Hold the Line at the 2nd tower. Rasputin ideally spawns outside the filth and dies easy as a result. Having a single DD who focuses on staying alive and healthy to kill the Gorgon is great, otherwise DDs are inferior at everything else and you never want more than 1 max imo per team. But other classes can kill the Gorgon too. Around 3 min mark a BB that can go into filth and rams Gorgon  (with invincibility on) also does the job. I think the cruiser has the hardest time of the 2 soloing Gorgon. So if you don't have a DD let a BB go on the ramming mission and team should try and clear a path for him from outside filth so he doesn't die before the ram on Gorgon.

Edited by ModDestroyer_1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,769 posts
3,925 battles
7 minutes ago, Mainerd said:

But on Saturday you have a RN mission for 7 stars. If you save all 4 missions for Saturday then you earn your 7 stars you get credited 28 stars fulfilling all 4 missions at once.  

7 stars last night got me my guinea without needing to earn the full 1.5 million credits last night. As I said, I am time-limited. I want to try to complete each directive on its own night, to allow myself a buffer to rest or complete unfinished business Sunday-Tuesday. I can't stay up all night playing or my better half will have my head on a dish (metaphorically). It's just not worth misery in my personal life to push that.

[WOLF2]
Members
863 posts
6,991 battles
38 minutes ago, ModDestroyer_1 said:

Yea the spawns are in the same spot every time. First group is behind the first tower and second 30 seconds or a minute later in front of it. Shortly after again spawns Rasputin. And The Gorgon seems to spawn after the first tower falls.

So here is the optimal strategy having done it 5 star on hard last week. (which took a few tries for our group until we got the strategy)

First, you don't need to get much closer than to be in range of the Zikasa's and other stuff that comes out of the gate. If you are in the cruiser you want to turn LEFT so that you are on the EAST side of the middle; AWAY from where the first group spawns near the first tower. If you are too close in a cruiser or DD to the spawn you can die easily from concentrated fire. Thus you want to be EAST, away from the spawn but not so far you go wide of the 2nd tower.  You will hold the line at the 2nd tower.

Second, you want the first tower to fall. 2 reasons. If you let them kill the tower the first and second spawns around it die with the tower. Saving you a lot of trouble. The faster they kill it the better. You also need it to die for the Gorgon to spawn to get 5 stars or have the time to kill Gorgon. So the faster you let them kill it the better. You don't really want anyone too close to those spawns distracting them from killing the tower.

Third, now you need to do 3 things; kill Rasputin & Gorgon and Hold the Line at the 2nd tower. Rasputin ideally spawns outside the filth and dies easy as a result. Having a single DD who focuses on staying alive and healthy to kill the Gorgon is great, otherwise DDs are inferior at everything else and you never want more than 1 max imo per team. But other classes can kill the Gorgon too. Around 3 min mark a BB that can go into filth and rams Gorgon  (with invincibility on) also does the job. I think the cruiser has the hardest time of the 2 soloing Gorgon. So if you don't have a DD let a BB go on the ramming mission and team should try and clear a path for him from outside filth so he doesn't die before the ram on Gorgon.

Pretty good strategy.      I got several five star battles in the Magnu by initially sailing to the portal, and then turning and providing cover for Trans, using the heal (not only for Trans but also the support bots).   Keeping pace with Trans put me in vicinity of Tower 1 when the enemies spawn.    I'd bee-line to Tower 1 and await Rasputin.   Once the tower falls, most of the reds are destroyed, and I chart a ramming course for Rasputin.  Once Rasputin is dead, I'm usually facing back towards the portal.   I'd then head into the filth and use minimap to head to Gorgon.    Ram and sink.

The challenge to this approach is to have a cruiser or two pick up Trans protection duty.    A couple of matches, I'd get through with Gorgon, and realize at the end someone had abandoned Trans and it gets sunk.

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,751 battles
14 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The Sunray bots at tower 1 spawn at when the battle timer that starts at 20 minutes gets down to 14:30, so if you plan ahead to be ready to take them on then you can neutralize them. Tricky part is you can get team tied up far too long at tower 1 and with the cinstantat flow of enemy ships from the portal that killing the CV can be put off until it’s too late. But I have taken full secondary build BB into the Filth to sink the CV since full secondary build including manual Secondaries, Torpedoes on both sides of your ship, main guns , and AA guns will overwhelm the CV and it’s aircraft. Plus the fact that once Gorgon’s flight deck is set on fire, the aircraft will stop being launched or at least be greatly slowed down making keeping up the pressure on the CV easier. The BB having the long lasting healing ability helps even when in the Filth and the shield Consumables help with being able to ram enemy ships when needed or if you time activating the shield just right you can harmlessly absorb Torpedo damage even.

The CA for the Operation is also a good choice since if you hold down the fire button on your mouse and then activate the rapid fire Consumable you can totally shred even some of the toughest enemy ships. And having 15km radar range is very helpful for spotting for the team. When firing at normal speed I often use HE to set fires on as many ships as possible for mass destruction since if you just set 1-3 fires on a ship with 1/3 HP odds ar they will burn down for you.

I was able to 5 Star the Hard Mode op thanks to the discord group in the forum being very helpful in helping out players with operations. I then did Hard Mode with my Clan and I git 5 stars again. Thankfully the Sunray easy mode is much easier, if you are having trouble with it you may just need to Division with a friend so one of you can be sure Rasputin is sunk while the other one is sinking the Carrier Gorgon. That is what I did to ensure those 2 objectives happened was Divisioned with a friend and we spit up when the time to take on both of the objectives came. Although you will have to be sure one of you is the BB and that the BB is the one taking out the CV since the Filth will drain the CA that lacks the heal.

CV in this operation actually turned out to be optional and DD while ok proved to not be as good and the CAs and BBs.