Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kongo_Pride

Defining the Carry

9 comments in this topic

[CUTER]
Members
672 posts
18,491 battles

How do you define a hard carry?  All too often I see the term "hard carry" or "my back was aching after this one" comments as players proudly claim/show how their individual performance led a team to victory. 

So, how is a hard carry defined?  Is it based off of damage and if so what is the threshold?  Is it based off of kills?  Is it based off of finishing at the top?  A certain requirement for achievements?  Base experience?  How long you were alive?

Feel free to elaborate...just curious what the player base litmus test is on this.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,567 posts
14,005 battles

Hard Carry I simply see as 2 possible things:

1.  The guys with an absurdly high BaseXP on the winning team, i.e the 2500, 3000 BaseXP guys.  Having that high BaseXPs for the win means they were doing far more of the team's workload.

2.  The guys doing the correct actions that seal a win when it looks like the team was trying to "Throw" the match.  He may not necessarily have the highest BaseXP when it's all over, but if it wasn't for that guy, it'd be a loss.

• Cool 2

[-VT-]
Members
329 posts
6,439 battles

I think it’s a base xp thing.  If I see someone at the top of the team with double the base xp of the guy in 2nd place, I consider that a hard carry.

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

Base XP is the main measuring stick I use.  It takes a bit of everything into account...damage, caps, spotting, potential damage, etc.

Kills can be deceiving.  I have seen players with 3-4 kills that were way down the list on base XP.  That usually indicates a player who took a lot of kill shots without risking much or employing solid strategy.

Damage  is good, but is also reflected in base XP.  Achievements like High Caliber, Confederate, and Witherer are also good, but again, reflected in base XP.

Typically the team is fairly close in base XP through the ranks, meaning #1 is close to #2, who is close to #3, etc.  If I finish #1 and am 700, 850, or 1,000+ base XP ahead of #2 on my team...yeah, I probably did some carrying.

If I am having a high damage game, am the tip of the spear most of the game, get a cap or two and/or numerous cap defenses, and the rest of my team really doesn't appear to be doing much, it is pretty easy to know I am having a hard carry game.  That is when you will see some players make a comment in chat about carrying their team.

Edited by desmo_2

[CAST]
Members
1,155 posts
7,152 battles

Any time you see the top player have more than 2x the average XP of the team, it is a hard carry.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,740 posts
6,702 battles

Hard carry consists of three components:

1) Great performance. Most often it implies high base XP and/or lots of kills, but doesn't necessarily have to be that. If you smartly played the objectives and got your team a lion's share of points it needed to win, then you hard carried in my book even if didn't get first score by base XP. 

2) Your team doing poorly, because otherwise you wouldn't have to carry all that dead weight.

3) A win. If you lose, then you just didn't carry hard enough, no matter how much you've actually accomplished.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,689 posts
11,061 battles

Even if your team lost and you score over 1000 base xp higher than anyone on your team and higher than the winning team, if your on the winning team then its a carry when you score into the 3k xp mark and the closest to you is 6-700 behind you.

Members
622 posts
6,893 battles

Directly, without help, turning the tide from a loss to a win regardless of XP.

In other words, you put on your big boy pants and saved the day in the last 8 minutes.

Just sailing away to win on points doesn't count.

Members
78 posts
7,850 battles
23 minutes ago, Capt_Mexib said:

Directly, without help, turning the tide from a loss to a win regardless of XP. 

This  ^^^

Sign in to follow this