You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

Why did Arms Race Fail?

33 comments in this topic

[NGA-B]
Members
1,206 posts
7,635 battles

Personally speaking, I felt that Arms Race suffered because there wasn't enough incentive to choose that particular option over Randoms. And this was mainly due to the fact that Arms Race could not effect progress in the rather grindy Unique Upgrade missions, nor could it contribute to the Yamamoto/Halsey Campaigns. Had Arms Race been able to count towards these, I think it probably would've stood a better chance. I'll agree that it was rather different from the usual Randoms, but I feel that this was particularly glaring because not many were invested in trying various strategies and learning to adapt when the mode offered comparatively little reward compared to the tried and true Randoms.

• Cool 2

[TF57]
Members
1,238 posts
3,920 battles

WG assumed players may actually play for fun.

Whereas it is evident players only actually play to grind electronic trinkets.

• Cool 2

Members
574 posts
13 battles

You do realize devs announced way beforehand that Arms Race is not a permanent feature, that it is only a testing platform?

• Cool 1

[ADAPT]
Members
806 posts
12,773 battles

It become chaos. Suddenly ship with new stats, such as concealment, healing and so on. For me its just chaos out there. Everyone rush or either ignore the buff. Cant really tell. 

[KAPPA]
Members
150 posts
4,232 battles
15 minutes ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

You do realize devs announced way beforehand that Arms Race is not a permanent feature, that it is only a testing platform?

You get rewards for the PTS, mind. Something being a test doesn't require it to be less rewarding, especially when they go so far as to put it on the live servers.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,934 posts
1 hour ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Personally speaking, I felt that Arms Race suffered because there wasn't enough incentive to choose that particular option over Randoms. And this was mainly due to the fact that Arms Race could not effect progress in the rather grindy Unique Upgrade missions, nor could it contribute to the Yamamoto/Halsey Campaigns. Had Arms Race been able to count towards these, I think it probably would've stood a better chance. I'll agree that it was rather different from the usual Randoms, but I feel that this was particularly glaring because not many were invested in trying various strategies and learning to adapt when the mode offered comparatively little reward compared to the tried and true Randoms.

Personally speaking(just for myself mind)  I  And perhaps others  had to make a choice,  Example in my case I  was So Close to finishing my last two remaining campaigns and they could only be done in Randoms,Ranked or Clan Battles and some of the tasks could only be done in Randoms leaving me and Perhaps Others with only the choice of doing Arms Race which I did like and wanted to come back once once the Campaigns were done:Smile_sad: Too bad they didn't give us that option:Smile_facepalm:  And it would have taken so very little to add that option in:Smile-angry:

Edited by shadowsrmine

Members
318 posts
6 battles
53 minutes ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

WG assumed players may actually play for fun.

Whereas it is evident players only actually play to grind electronic trinkets.

I can play for fun while at the same time making progress towards the legendary modules, or I could play for fun and make no progress. I'll go with the former. I didn't didn't like arms race much anyway. Ships have been balanced a certain way for a reason. Giving them crazy buffs throws it all off.

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,483 posts
6,657 battles

Too many WOWS activities going on at the same time. Main problem; restriction to high tiers, second problem, too complicated a game mode for a good section of our casual playerbase, the fact that missions could not be completed while playign arms race, but could with random battles..

Beta Testers
118 posts
18,362 battles

No tie in with Legendary mod missions and campaigns like Halsey hurt it IMO.

Might been best have made it tier 8-9.  Seattle was better grind in AR mode.  

[4HIM]
Members
1,703 posts
3,878 battles

I kind of enjoyed it.  Used it to grind a little on the Buffalo Chip.  But the lack of ability for players to count the battles toward objectives (Unique upgrades, Halsey campaign, etc.) meant the queue times became far too long.  Only other thing I didn't like were at times the spawns and/or buffs were highly asymmetrical.  For example, several times in the Buffalo Chip, I'd end up being spawned all alone on one flank while the rest of the team was on the other side of the map.  Or one team, but not the other, would have a buff in a location that had cover.  And the big issue for AR was that once a team gained an advantage, it could steamroll pretty quickly.  It did help the games go faster.  But comebacks were pretty rare.  

What I did like were the times our team got a couple reload buffs.  It (almost) gave the Buffalo Chip an acceptable RoF.  

[TBOW]
Members
183 posts
1,564 battles

Never played it due to the fact they said it would help on the t8 mm. It did for the first week? And then t8mm was back to normal.

plus I only have 1 t10 and 0 t9s

[5BS]
Members
4,493 posts
4 hours ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

and one of the reasons people didn't play the mode was thanks to it not counting towards any mission progress. 

This was the big one, and kinda part of a larger problem at WGing and their lack of coordination for events.

[RED2]
Members
81 posts
6,412 battles

There are two tings I think people didn't like.

1. You might have gotten decent money and Xp from Arms race if you know what you were doing, but for the most part you couldn't grind in it. It was only available to t9 and t10 ships to begin with and it wasn't compatible with any campaigns or legendary upgrade quests. There just wasn't that much reason to use it over Random

2. Some ships weren't viable in it. I would argue that a lot of those same ships are off-meta in the normal game anyway, but it was exaggerated here. Similarly, some builds (secondary spec torpedo boat) just didn't work on even viable ships.

Beta Testers
478 posts
6,352 battles

Pretty much two things:

1. Didn't count toward legendary modules.  If you are a casual player, better off playing randoms.

2. Buff locations, while random, seem to come up in places that favored one team or another.  Which lead to lopsided wins/losses.  Typically the reason behind this (IMHO) was that at the start players would train to the closest buff.  This lead to a large part of the team was in one area of the map.  The rest struggled to get buffs for everyone else if the other team was more spread out.

3. Again, my opinion, it seemed as many co-op players hopped in and tried to play the mode like a co-op battle.  Which generally leads to getting deleted real fast.  Which lead to steam rolls <probably a good Yoda quote there>

[WOLF2]
Members
863 posts
6,994 battles
11 hours ago, hard_calibers said:

No tie in with Legendary mod missions and campaigns like Halsey hurt it IMO.

Might been best have made it tier 8-9.  Seattle was better grind in AR mode.  

Or T7... or T5

Heck, we just came off a mini-Ranked which most are lauding.  When has that happened in Ranked?

For some blow-off-steam fun, pew pew, etc., they could reintroduce it to lower tiers, and folks would probably eat it up.   Like we saw with the Ranked Sprints, you don't need to throw high rewards for participation.   

But introduce it to T10 play, and yeah....  folks are working on the legendary upgrades.

Put it at a low-salt, high-fun level?   We'll play.

[INTEL]
Members
747 posts
7,868 battles

Never played it. Two big reasons

T10 ranked burn out and battle results not counting toward my personal goals.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,092 posts
9,188 battles
14 hours ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Yep agree. It was fun but not fun enough to play with out the incentives that are in random. Of course it was just a test so... If it comes back with full benefits then... yeah will probably work out just fine.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles

I don't necessarily think that it failed.  I think they shot themselves in the foot by testing it at the same time there was an event going on, and then didn't make the participation awards uniform.  They need to test things when there is nothing else that can influence the data they are trying to gather.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,773 posts
13,589 battles

Wait did Arms Race already die? I hadn't notice its passing. Wonder if it went to the same place that Team Battles went to. 

:Smile_glasses:

[LOU1]
Members
2,862 posts
7,996 battles

Why do some people say it failed?  It was a one patch test with limited features and I enjoyed it.  Considering the queue times whenever I played it, others did, too.  I am looking forward to the next iteration and expect it to be included in more of the missions, just as they have now expanded Scenarios to more of the missions.

"Arms Race
In Update 0.7.10 we disable the Arms Race type of battles. Thank you for your involvement in testing the new mode and game mechanics, your feedback is very valuable to us. We’ll analyze every message received and try to incorporate your wishes in the future. We hope you liked Arms Race and are already waiting to see it back in the game! We, on our part, will make all efforts to roll out the new game with all remarked improvements incorporated."

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/development/update-0710-halloween/

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,311 posts
17,767 battles

Not sure it has failed. With so much going on not sure there was any interest in the mode especially since you can not grind legendary modules while playing. It was received with a resounding "meh".