Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

When you disturb a nest of DDs in a Freddie

18 comments in this topic

[NGA-B]
Members
1,205 posts
7,621 battles
44 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

shot-18_10.25_01_27.56-0224.thumb.jpg.2037a1ef3c0c358cf6dcf3b67d47409a.jpg

Hydro, [edited]! Seriously though, there's a reason I feel GK is the best ship for Ranked.

[USCC2]
Members
3,426 posts

It hints to just how ineffective torps are; you always see plenty, but the majority of the time if you get hit, it's because you did something wrong. :Smile_Default:

Edit: Except the person who gave the down vote; they were obviously surprised that the 30 secs of travelling in a straight line ended with an actual torpedo hit (minus the torpedo armour belt reduction). I give them the benefit of doubt that the torps weren't actually visible at some point and therefore until they finish their run. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by _WaveRider_
  • Bad 1

[DENY]
Members
293 posts
4,381 battles
22 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

It hints to just how ineffective torps are; you always see plenty, but the majority of the time if you get hit, it's because you did something wrong. :Smile_Default:

Until a rn DD drop them and all 10 hit the same spot ....

Members
2,879 posts
1,365 battles
1 hour ago, _WaveRider_ said:

The true power of torps isnt in their hitting, its the threat of crazy dmg if they do.  It disrupts, distracts and forces enemies to react, opening opportunities for allies to maybe get broadside shots, or run away in the confusion....

Bad torpers have that effect on their own team which sux...and my Alabama has about 12 holes in the hull and 23,000 metric tons of water stored im buckets in the "Oblivious Teamkilling Torpers Museum", on display to show what happens when pure idiocy gets ahold of such power....

Edited by KnightFandragon

[USCC2]
Members
3,426 posts
6 minutes ago, KnightFandragon said:

The true power of torps isnt in their hitting, its the threat of crazy dmg if they do.  It disrupts, distracts and forces enemies to react, opening opportunities for allies to maybe get broadside shots, or run away in the confusion....

Bad torpers have that effect on their own team which sux...and my Alabama has about 12 holes in the hull and 23,000 metric tons of water stored im buckets in the "Oblivious Teamkilling Torpers Museum", on display to show what happens when pure idiocy gets ahold of such power....

So basically torps themselves aren't a threat unless you get hit by them, and with an average hit rate of around 10% that's not very often.

I'm sure that's what I said.

[USCC2]
Members
3,426 posts
1 hour ago, dad003 said:

Until a rn DD drop them and all 10 hit the same spot ....

Then you get saturation, your ship survives and you then kill the DD. :Smile_Default:

[INTEL]
Members
582 posts
7,301 battles
1 hour ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Then you get saturation, your ship survives and you then kill the DD. :Smile_Default:

Done right the slight delay between each launch puts the torp in a different spot as the enemy ship moves across the torpedoes paths.  I help this a bit by not launching each successive torp in the exact same spot.

In a Gremy I've had an angled Ohotnick hit me with multiple torps in the same spot as I was moving past him.  Even though it was a multiple spread launch, they all hit in the same spot on my nose.  I survived, he died.  I have a video of it somewhere...

[KRAK]
Members
938 posts
12,966 battles
3 hours ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Edit: Except the person who gave the down vote; they were obviously surprised that the 30 secs of travelling in a straight line ended with an actual torpedo hit (minus the torpedo armour belt reduction). I give them the benefit of doubt that the torps weren't actually visible at some point and therefore until they finish their run. :Smile_teethhappy:

What are you talking about? Torpedoes are the demons of WoWs taking all BBs hit points. They need nerfs, citadels, less hit points, radar should instantly nuke DDs instead of just lighting them up and should take triple damage from a single AP round so the BBs can be safe.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[KRAK]
Members
938 posts
12,966 battles
2 hours ago, KnightFandragon said:

The truth about torps is unless you get a spread broadside from an IJN DD you will not take much damage at all. The second truth is most BBs can eat anywhere from 5 to 9 torps before actually being in trouble or die.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,773 posts
12,881 battles
2 hours ago, KnightFandragon said:

The true power of torps isnt in their hitting, its the threat of crazy dmg if they do.  It disrupts, distracts and forces enemies to react, 

Keep in mind I spotted 53....the actual number shot at me and spotted by my team isn't reflected in the spot.  So the actual number that passed by is much higher than 53.

The distraction aspect was prevalent in the end game on this particular match.  It was 3BB vs 3 DDs.  We had two of three caps and a points lead.  Unfortunately, my two BB friends thought they had a chance sitting at mid range and waiting.  The three red DDs were going to cap out and easily win if we didn't defend properly.  I was attempting to challenge the caps; my priority target was pegged at 2 and 3 most of the time.  And I was WASD like never before. 

I pushed one DD out one end of a cap, only to have another DD begin to cap the other side.  It was whack a mole...but I couldn't even see them.  With torps going all around me....and I was out of hydro.  I guessed the one I pushed out would head for another cap, so I acted like I was going to the other one in a screen move, but knew he would send torps, so I double'd back to engage the one on back side of the cap (as the torp spread passed by).  by the time I finished the double back, all three caps were moving to red.

My BB friends... still at mid range!!!!  Waiting for targets that would never appear....as our points drained away.

I was able to push the other DD out of the cap and re-cap it....but it was a hopeless cause at that point...down two caps to one...a deficit in point....and (for all intents and purposes) one BB vs three DDs.

Even the reds came up in all chat wondering what the other BBs were doing.

I can only presume it was the fear of the DDs.  Even if the friendly BBs played it properly, it didn't guarantee a win for  us.  It would have still been a wild WASD fight.  But we would have had a chance.  As it turned out, staying at mid range pretty much guaranteed a loss.  I hate to lose...but it was a fun match.  

• Cool 2

[KRAK]
Members
938 posts
12,966 battles
17 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Keep in mind I spotted 53....the actual number shot at me and spotted by my team isn't reflected in the spot.  So the actual number that passed by is much higher than 53.

The distraction aspect was prevalent in the end game on this particular match.  It was 3BB vs 3 DDs.  We had two of three caps and a points lead.  Unfortunately, my two BB friends thought they had a chance sitting at mid range and waiting.  The three red DDs were going to cap out and easily win if we didn't defend properly.  I was attempting to challenge the caps; my priority target was pegged at 2 and 3 most of the time.  And I was WASD like never before. 

I pushed one DD out one end of a cap, only to have another DD begin to cap the other side.  It was whack a mole...but I couldn't even see them.  With torps going all around me....and I was out of hydro.  I guessed the one I pushed out would head for another cap, so I acted like I was going to the other one in a screen move, but knew he would send torps, so I double'd back to engage the one on back side of the cap (as the torp spread passed by).  by the time I finished the double back, all three caps were moving to red.

My BB friends... still at mid range!!!!  Waiting for targets that would never appear....as our points drained away.

I was able to push the other DD out of the cap and re-cap it....but it was a hopeless cause at that point...down two caps to one...a deficit in point....and (for all intents and purposes) one BB vs three DDs.

I can only presume it was the fear of the DDs.  Even if the friendly BBs played it properly, it didn't guarantee a win for  us.  It would have still been a wild WASD fight.  But we would have had a chance.  As it turned out, staying at mid range pretty much guaranteed a loss.  I hate to lose...but it was a fun match.  

You mean you broke the golden rule of always snipe and never push and it worked out and you won? Incredible! Who would have thought that was a thing.  Surely those bad torpedoes must have been malfunctioning.

[USCC2]
Members
3,426 posts
3 hours ago, Vaffu said:

What are you talking about? Torpedoes are the demons of WoWs taking all BBs hit points. They need nerfs, citadels, less hit points, radar should instantly nuke DDs instead of just lighting them up and should take triple damage from a single AP round so the BBs can be safe.

Torpedoes need citadels and less hit points? :Smile_amazed: I assume you mean DDs.

I also assume that as DD survival on average is the worst of all ship types and their average damage is also the worse amongst all ship types - you are joking when you mentioned the nerfs above? :Smile_Default:

I would also suggest more of a tactical strike as a radar perk, rather than a straightforward nuke. That way only the DDs with their low HP will suffer and the other ships can continue playing with minimum disruption. :Smile_great::Smile_trollface: Mwahaha!

[KRAK]
Members
938 posts
12,966 battles
27 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Torpedoes need citadels and less hit points? :Smile_amazed: I assume you mean DDs.

I also assume that as DD survival on average is the worst of all ship types and their average damage is also the worse amongst all ship types - you are joking when you mentioned the nerfs above? :Smile_Default:

I would also suggest more of a tactical strike as a radar perk, rather than a straightforward nuke. That way only the DDs with their low HP will suffer and the other ships can continue playing with minimum disruption. :Smile_great::Smile_trollface: Mwahaha!

Yews obviously meant DD just neglected for some reason to type it.

Yes I was being comical..

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
1,739 posts
3 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

The line I bolded is the problem... you were close enough to be in the same cap as the second DD, and it still wasn't visible.

The vision system and resulting meta in PVP are the core problem in this game, just like they were in WOT.   So many things that people complain about, back and forth, often on different sides, proposing ridiculous or self-serving "fixes", really all come down to the spotting system and how important see-not-seen is in the battles.   CVs are "too good at spotting", radar is the devil, smoke is the devil, torps are magic, torps are worthless, everyone is camping or sniping or island-humping or... on and on and on and on...

[PRNA]
Members
201 posts
2,696 battles
18 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

The line I bolded is the problem... you were close enough to be in the same cap as the second DD, and it still wasn't visible.

The vision system and resulting meta in PVP are the core problem in this game, just like they were in WOT.   So many things that people complain about, back and forth, often on different sides, proposing ridiculous or self-serving "fixes", really all come down to the spotting system and how important see-not-seen is in the battles.   CVs are "too good at spotting", radar is the devil, smoke is the devil, torps are magic, torps are worthless, everyone is camping or sniping or island-humping or... on and on and on and on...

Well, at this point they've dug themselves a hole. Making the kind of changes that might put a dent in spotting issues would leave them with art assets and not much else. Too much mechanically depends on the spotting system staying the same as it is.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,176 posts
3,867 battles
7 hours ago, KnightFandragon said:

Yeah that's great and all, but all these misses that distract and disrupt the enemy over the threat of how much damage they could do doesn't exactly pay my bills.

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this