You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
murder_0ne

Acasta and Icarus are garbage. Jervis is decent, Lightning is great

9 comments in this topic

Members
29 posts
2,517 battles

So many threads regarding the Acasta and Icarus saying "you just have to play better", "you don't understand the RNDD play style yet if you're not successful"...

That's garbage.

The bottom line is that both Acasta and Icarus are gunboats, but due to the terrible traverse and lousy shell velocity your guns can't keep up with targets while turning during short range fights and ships can easily dodge the slow shells at even medium range. When you switch sides the turrets have to reverse through their entire arc before you can bring them to bare against your target. Plus the concealment on both is poor combined with little or no stealth fire range for your torps and both boats suck. Compounding the problems are the slow speed, no speed boost and low health pool. When I'm in another Tier 5 DD and I see an Acasta or Icarus, I just charge at it with zero fear of losing as I know how outmatched they are. Oh, and HORRIBLE torp tube angles and rotation. Total crap.

Its not that I "don't know how to play", its that there are far superior DDs to use instead of the Acasta or Icarus.

The Jervis is decent in that its rear turret can traverse 360 degrees so its much easier to keep the guns on target, plus the traverse is much faster. And you finally get 1km or so of stealth fire range. Huge improvement over the Icarus. One huge downside of the Jervis is that its torps don't rotate 360 degrees and the torp angles are TERRIBLE. What the heck was WG thinking? Just horrible. 

The Lightning is amazing. It's the Jervis on steroids. And for one specific reason. Stealth. 5.5km concealment is just brilliant. The Lightning is otherwise a Jervis clone besides the concealment. Reducing the concealment to 5.5km and suddenly you're capable of *so* much more when fighting just about any type of ship. Just don't get radared. The big downside to the Lightning is that its Tier 8 so you're constantly bottom tier in Tier 10 games where EVERYONE has radar. If its a cruiser, you can bet it has radar. Half the DDs do as well. And don't forget the occasional Tier 9 BB. Oh, and still with the terrible torp tube angles and rotation. Having to give the target full broadside EVERY TIME you want to launch a torp is garbage.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,327 posts
11,458 battles

Tier 6 can stealth torp with 10 point captain.

Tier 5 can output some good DPM. 

Tier 7 is a beast.

Tier gets too many tier 10 matches and suffers from it.

If she is top tier she is good.

[RKLES]
Members
7,104 posts
8,758 battles
1 hour ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Tier 7 is a beast.

Got any good replays to show the way... :Smile_trollface::cap_popcorn:

Members
29 posts
2,517 battles
8 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Tier 7 is a beast.

Tier 5 Acasta's turret angles are so bad you can only employ 2 of the 4 guns at any given time *OR* you have to basically give full broadside to the target to use all 4 guns. So your actual effective on-target DPM is literally half of what it is on paper. Couple that with the slow turret traverse and having to rotate through the entire arc to switch sides during a fight and you're probably down to 30% of effective damage output vs. the theoretical maximum.

Tier 6 Icarus *can* stealth torp with everything maxed (10 point captain, camo) but its only a 1km differential which is almost useless.

Tier 7 Jervis is outstanding compared to the Tier 5/6 RNDDs, but only average compared to every other Tier 7 DD. RNDD players are super impressed with the Jervis because its such a huge step up from the Acasta and Icarus they forget how good the other Tier 7 DDs are.

Tier 8 Lightning gets ruined by matchmaking. Indeed, when its top tier its simply amazing. It is still fairly viable in Tier 9 games. All too often its the lone Tier 8 in a completely Tier 10 game.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,327 posts
11,458 battles
25 minutes ago, murder_0ne said:

Tier 5 Acasta's turret angles are so bad you can only employ 2 of the 4 guns at any given time *OR* you have to basically give full broadside to the target to use all 4 guns. So your actual effective on-target DPM is literally half of what it is on paper. Couple that with the slow turret traverse and having to rotate through the entire arc to switch sides during a fight and you're probably down to 30% of effective damage output vs. the theoretical maximum.

Tier 6 Icarus *can* stealth torp with everything maxed (10 point captain, camo) but its only a 1km differential which is almost useless.

Tier 7 Jervis is outstanding compared to the Tier 5/6 RNDDs, but only average compared to every other Tier 7 DD. RNDD players are super impressed with the Jervis because its such a huge step up from the Acasta and Icarus they forget how good the other Tier 7 DDs are.

Tier 8 Lightning gets ruined by matchmaking. Indeed, when its top tier its simply amazing. It is still fairly viable in Tier 9 games. All too often its the lone Tier 8 in a completely Tier 10 game.

But why do I find the Icarus enjoyable? It might not be a good destroyer, but I do enjoy it.

The Jervis is very enjoyable to play. Sure there are premiums that outpace her , but she is very enjoyable to play.

I had enough exp from early release to unlock lightening upon release.... still feeling that boat out.

Your observations on the tier 5 might be why she struggles in PvP...

[--1--]
Members
155 posts
2,499 battles

I have a very different opinion. I LOVED Acasta, thought Icarus was decent currently I'm on Jervis which I think is amazing.

[TXP]
Members
657 posts
10,278 battles

I have about 33% win rate at 40 games in Jervis, average about 13K damage. survived 5 battles, With the same torps between Jervis and Icaris, I think the I Icaris is easier to play. Have better stats with it, and a 53% win rate. Jervis I find completely outclassed in games with T9 DDs. So don't try very hard with it early, but still not effective later on either. I have more than a few Jervis games with no damage done, just a spotting ribbon and maybe a cap ribbon.

Edited by Ericson38

[SRP]
Members
5 posts
3,194 battles

I have the American DD line to T7, German to T6, and Japanese to T6 (torp line...not the gunboat line).  I also have the Haida and then Gallant. So far the Icarus and Jervis have been my favorite DD's I have played so far and I just unlocked the Lightning last night.  I played the Icarus a great deal and loved every game.  I would just hunt the enemy DD's and kill them. 

I cannot speak for the Acasta as I didn't really play it.  Got the crates to unlock the Acasta and the Icarus the same night so I didn't need to.

[TXP]
Members
657 posts
10,278 battles

Jervis gets a concealment of 6.3 km and a torp range of 7 km. Mahan has a 2 km range differential. I do way more damage with my guns, but average damage still a paltry 10K. I do better in Icaris, has same torps, no T9 players encountered.

Edited by Ericson38