You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Counter_Gambit

Do not let a gunboat go unopposed

15 comments in this topic

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,898 posts
3,276 battles

I may not have gotten very many kills, but I sure did rack up that damage. Don't ever let a gunboat go unopposed, especially if that gunboat is a Harugumo. An unopposed Harugumo is the biggest threat you can imagine. A Harugumo that has sufficient support, is also a very big threat. I took very little damage, despite 3 ships targeting me with their main battery. A Musashi even tried blind firing into my smoke, and I wasn't even moving, and his blind fire didn't even scare me, I was all "meh I can take 1 broadside, you'll be dead before you can get another shot off." I wasn't expecting it to be me to secure the kill, but okay.
Replay: 20181024_222517_PJSD210-Harugumo_19_OC_prey.wowsreplay
Post Battle Screenshots:

Spoiler

20181024224030_1.thumb.jpg.970ab3d3170f303011b7381974d5e092.jpg20181024224033_1.thumb.jpg.de2f12e030e76e71ef717a7ec4e4b7a4.jpg20181024224036_1.thumb.jpg.a9cec79cc350556dfda8f88ac54aede4.jpg

Harugumo is only OP if it is unopposed, or sufficiently supported.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,898 posts
3,276 battles
18 minutes ago, saru_richard said:

so in other news the sky is blue?

nope, the sky is a very dark purplish hue.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,898 posts
3,276 battles
7 minutes ago, Stand_Alone97 said:

Gearing or Mino make short work of a Haru... Torps in Haru out... :cap_haloween:

Anything with Radar can also have the Harugumo gone within seconds from the focus fire it'll receive. The problem: The enemy Worcester in that battle, completely ignored my presence, and instead of closing the distance and popping radar, ran off to a flank, which was good for me.

[KAPPA]
Members
144 posts
4,213 battles
57 minutes ago, saru_richard said:

so in other news the sky is blue?

As often as people ignore DDs, I feel that it's justified for them to mention this. You see BBs only 10km off from a DD just ignoring them, DDs not even trying to take on such DDs just because they are outgunned.

One doesn't need to be a cruiser to take on a gunboat DD. I even took on an Akizuki in my Asashio and won the fight easily when I saw the perfect opportunity to strike. The Aki was running from a cruiser, so I took the chance to head for her when she popped smoke, using it to run away. And it wasn't simple spotting, either. I shot that sucker dead when I saw the chance to smoke up as well. This was a cap that the Aki had been scaring our team away from for a good 10 minutes, and with it gone, suddenly the game was a lot more in our favor.

Alpha Tester
2,719 posts
4,294 battles

Most light gun ships are only overpowered when supported...especially that someone who has to stick their head out to spot for them.

I had a team of island huggers on my flank and I had to do almost all of the spotting in...of all things, Kiev. I spec'd for full gunboat so I had 8.7km detection (in comparison, an Edinburgh at full camo gets 9km, same as a naked Kiev) and all I had was the 44 knots speed to keep me alive. Got over 100k spotting damage out of it.

Pretty hard to ask for BB to fire for effect against DDs at over 15km. They just can't do it effectively in untrained hands.

[STW-D]
Members
1,853 posts
5,651 battles

Even though I only am up to the Minsk when it comes to destroyers, this lesson has been learned both by myself and by the countless ships I've kited and burned to death. Oftentimes, people don't pay much attention to gunboats as torpedoboats, viewing these gunboats as pests until the fire damage starts piling up. By then, 99% of the time it's already too late.

As it turns out, quite a few gunboat destroyers, while fast, are also rather mediocre and maneuvering, and thus a well-aimed salvo from a cruisers or a battleship can definitely put the hurt on them, even if they're maneuvering. And that's not even to bother mentioning carriers (although a good CV should be focusing all destroyers irregardless of whether they're gunboats or torpedo boats).

In my personal experience playing BBs, 10-13 km is when I decide that a destroyer is close enough to feasibly attack, but this attack range can increase up to 15 km should said gunboat (like a Khabarovsk or a Harugamo) be careless about maneuvering—if you aim correctly, it's actually not too difficult to nail such a careless destroyer, and it's not too rare for a BB (granted, I usually sail Iowa/Missouri, so dispersion might be spoiling me) to whack off anywhere from a quarter to even more than half of their health (as one gunboating Gearing who thought he was safe at 14 km found out when I annihilated him with an 11k salvo).

Gunboat destroyers can be deadly, yes, but they're oftentimes relying on a combination of fire damage, poor aim, and their teammates distracting their target and spotting to do their job. Take away these factors, and they fall pretty quickly (especially since usually their torpedoes aren't quite up to par with their less gun-oriented counterparts).

[ARGSY]
Members
5,724 posts
3,912 battles
7 hours ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Don't ever let a gunboat go unopposed, especially if that gunboat is a Harugumo. An unopposed Harugumo is the biggest threat you can imagine.

+1. A Harugumo scythed through my Baltimore in almost no time last night. It was obscene to the point of "ban this :etc_swear: now" frustration. Anyone who sees one on the other side should make every effort to kill it immediately.

[KRAK]
Members
916 posts
12,912 battles
8 hours ago, Stand_Alone97 said:

Gearing or Mino make short work of a Haru... Torps in Haru out... :cap_haloween:

Khab as well.

[KRAK]
Members
916 posts
12,912 battles
7 hours ago, pyantoryng said:

Most light gun ships are only overpowered when supported...especially that someone who has to stick their head out to spot for them.

I had a team of island huggers on my flank and I had to do almost all of the spotting in...of all things, Kiev. I spec'd for full gunboat so I had 8.7km detection (in comparison, an Edinburgh at full camo gets 9km, same as a naked Kiev) and all I had was the 44 knots speed to keep me alive. Got over 100k spotting damage out of it.

Pretty hard to ask for BB to fire for effect against DDs at over 15km. They just can't do it effectively in untrained hands.

What? DDs at range are EASY to hit. I see BBs deleting DDS every match at more than 15km quite often. 

[POP]
Members
527 posts
11,513 battles
1 hour ago, Vaffu said:

What? DDs at range are EASY to hit. I see BBs deleting DDS every match at more than 15km quite often. 

Yes, there are bad players every match.

Members
472 posts
1,992 battles

Thats a lesson I learned early on murder the red DDs and most of the time you get a win.

[O_O]
Members
665 posts
6,048 battles

No No no....! please leave that gunboat unopposed...:Smile_amazed: its probably me in one of them blasted annoying things...lol :Smile_teethhappy: