You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LordSiege

i desperately need help

25 comments in this topic

[FBI]
Members
135 posts
2,407 battles

sigh.... ok im at a loss here... literally 

the yamato

the big yam

battleship hunter

the samurai of the north 

whatever yah wanna call it, it a glorious ship, the guns are accurate like the shells are lazier guided and the armor.... oh lord the armor is glorious, just angle and boom nothing gonna pen you  and when it comes to torpedoes, its funny 

anyways thats not the point 

the point im getten here is, this ship cannot physically win for me, as great as i do, these teams oh lord ive seen lemmings do better, this may look like another "oh teams are crap herderder" post WITCH IT IS but i seriously have a valid reason1253325503_Screenshot(108).thumb.png.fd6e90d6a796fb5a50ab43db8db76c7d.png look at that win rate

seriously. Like it boggles my mind how teams could be this bad (ive seen lemmings do better) , if you look where my mouse is highlighted you'll see my G. kurfurst  59% wr 144 battles 

now im not saying im an extremely good player but i do know what im doing when it comes to battleships and i understand the roll the Yamato is supposed to play in a fight 

notice the average damage is pretty low for a yam right? yeah i know too tho it IS climbing at about 500-1k a match 

im at a serious loss on what to do, i can win fights easily, i cant win all the fights for the team 

• Cool 1

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles

Don't try to play it like GK.  Think glass cannon.  You are very easy to kill when out of position, compared to the other BBs, so choose your position accordingly.  Also I hope you were joking when you said "just angle and boom nothing gonna pen you", because when you angle you can get citadels below your frontal turrets, check armor viewer while angling your ship to see what I am talking about.

• Cool 2

[ASHIP]
Members
582 posts
5,203 battles

Although I've never played the yammy myself, I have played it together with a division mate who is extremely successful with it. What he likes to do is set up on the inside edge of an outer cap. He then carefully positions himself to bow tank incoming fire without getting outflanked, torpedoed or concentrated too hard, making sure to back away early enough if the enemy has overwhelming superiority on the flank. All the while he is creating a crossfire between himself and the flankers on the team (I typically play a henri when we division). His main role during this time is to provide the 'punch' to the cruiser's attrition; it creates a push-pull, where enemies will want to try and push the cruisers back, but end up getting repelled because they don't want to show broadside to a yammy. A note here is that being bow-in provides a lot more free time to be watching the minimap. My friend is usually the first to note the concentration of enemy forces, or when a flank is about to collapse, and re-adjust accordingly. Once the enemy DDs have been cleared away, or it is clear that we have superiority on the flank, he will typically be in a good position to push into the cap, again maintaining that crossfire between himself and the flankers. If enemy DDs have survived until now, I may come over and screen against torpedoes for him.

This strategy has worked extremely well for us, although it is of course predicated on being in a division with a flanking cruiser. Anyway, I hope that helps a bit.

• Cool 2

[PQUOD]
Members
191 posts
5,993 battles

Don't have the Yamaha but I do have the Musashi. I think the Musashi's grouping is a little less accurate (shotgun) than the Yam. I found out quick, it hits like the Death Star but burns like wicker and shatters like glass if hit with anything resembling broadside. Like a Omaha or Pensacola. 

Members
135 posts
1 hour ago, Ramsalot said:

Also I hope you were joking when you said "just angle and boom nothing gonna pen you", because when you angle you can get citadels below your frontal turrets, check armor viewer while angling your ship to see what I am talking about.

I'm a little confused by this. I looked. Are you talking about this 135mm section? Is that something another BB can reliably hit?

Screenshot (67).png

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles
1 minute ago, ModDestroyer_1 said:

I'm a little confused by this. I looked. Are you talking about this 135mm section? Is that something another BB can reliably hit?

Screenshot (67).png

No, it's the section under A turret.  Notice how it's pointed towards the bow instead of flat?  What would be properly angled in an standard all or nothing battleship is effectively un-angled under that turret.

Members
4,448 posts
6,148 battles
2 hours ago, LordSiege said:

sigh.... ok im at a loss here... literally 

the yamato

the big yam

battleship hunter

the samurai of the north 

whatever yah wanna call it, it a glorious ship, the guns are accurate like the shells are lazier guided and the armor.... oh lord the armor is glorious, just angle and boom nothing gonna pen you  and when it comes to torpedoes, its funny 

anyways thats not the point 

the point im getten here is, this ship cannot physically win for me, as great as i do, these teams oh lord ive seen lemmings do better, this may look like another "oh teams are crap herderder" post WITCH IT IS but i seriously have a valid reason1253325503_Screenshot(108).thumb.png.fd6e90d6a796fb5a50ab43db8db76c7d.png look at that win rate

seriously. Like it boggles my mind how teams could be this bad (ive seen lemmings do better) , if you look where my mouse is highlighted you'll see my G. kurfurst  59% wr 144 battles 

now im not saying im an extremely good player but i do know what im doing when it comes to battleships and i understand the roll the Yamato is supposed to play in a fight 

notice the average damage is pretty low for a yam right? yeah i know too tho it IS climbing at about 500-1k a match 

im at a serious loss on what to do, i can win fights easily, i cant win all the fights for the team 

Maybe for all it's hype it really does have a LOW win rate?  49% ya know.   It's not a great ship....way below decent in this game. It was NOT a great ship in the real deal...WWII. Dinosaur. Lotta hype however.  Great BIG target. Very flawed ship.  Tech crap.

Oh..also.  I look at tier 10 and see THE MOST potatoes in the game.  They charge up the tiers ($) and well....the rest is history. 

Edited by dmckay
  • Bad 2

[WOLFB]
Members
1,655 posts
8,037 battles

Well Yamato heavily rely on positionning. If you point your nose at your target while maitaining a position where only that target can shoot you, you're almost invincible. You can still die to HE spammer like Conqueror but that's not an issue only Yamato has to deal with.

Yamato is the T10 BB that require a lot of skill to really perform well unlike other T10. Your citadel is really high above the water line and the shape allow other BB to punish her. You can't make a U turn and get away with it like Montana, Conqueror or Kurfurst. Your AA is garbage so you need to hug AA cruiser like your waifu. But what you gain in return for having a good positionning and following your AA cruiser is worth. If you place yourself in a position where only the people you point your nose at can shoot at you, the ship becomes extremely tanky and you won't have to really bother with aircrafts since you're next to your AA cruiser. A CV torps or 2 won't cripple.  

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles
1 hour ago, ModDestroyer_1 said:

Look at this plate that covers citadel.  It would have been perfectly angled IF the incoming shell was coming parallel to surface.  But the shell is coming at an angle from top, and if you angle your Yamato it also removes the horizontal angle as well.  So what happens is shell hitting this plate while being perfectly perpendicular to the armor.  So by angling Yamato you essentially remove all angling from this plate.

wi73GKs.jpg

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

Just keep playing. You'll eventually start figuring things out. Perseverance matters more than anything else. Make mistakes. Learn from them. Don't make them as much. Forward movement. Boom.

• Bad 1

[-RNG-]
Beta Testers
229 posts
2,264 battles

I am noticing 10% of your kills are by ramming. Are you perhaps being overly-aggressive? 

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,867 posts
3,530 battles
6 hours ago, LordSiege said:

snip

just my guess you arent managing range properly or dont have the ship set up correctly.

keep the range from 14-18km. These are the ranges you are most effective. If you stray below 10km every other battleship will be more accurate than you, and you lose the accuracy advantage. It also increases the odds of someone being at an angle that can citadel you. The turrets also turn pretty slow and ships can out run them. build is below

image.thumb.png.4f1bacb984e89be8ebd247641370388f.png

image.thumb.png.1753940d599869392d86a190787d29bc.png

Run this build. pretty straight forward. you should be able to shrug off a tremendous amount off damage. 

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,867 posts
3,530 battles
2 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

Look at this plate that covers citadel.  It would have been perfectly angled IF the incoming shell was coming parallel to surface.  But the shell is coming at an angle from top, and if you angle your Yamato it also removes the horizontal angle as well.  So what happens is shell hitting this plate while being perfectly perpendicular to the armor.  So by angling Yamato you essentially remove all angling from this plate.

wi73GKs.jpg

honestly you should angle off a few * to increase the angle going into that plate, like you would an IS6 in WOT.

[RO-I]
Members
71 posts
472 battles
3 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

wi73GKs.jpg

And you say you can, accurately and on purpose, hit that thing from 20-25 km away?

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,773 posts
12,881 battles

If you're getting 10% of your kills in a Yammy via ramming, you probably need to re-assess your positioning.  That said, until you hit 100 games in a ship, the stats are somewhat moot.

Edited by Soshi_Sone

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles
1 hour ago, Rednecks_Slayer said:

And you say you can, accurately and on purpose, hit that thing from 20-25 km away?

Yes I can.  Yamato is often stationary target, moving a bit forward and backward, and I often nail citadel from such distance.  I play all T10 BBs, GK and Conqueror will not have such luck (one has short range and the other will shoot HE at such distance on bow on BB), but Republique, Yamato, and Montana will.

[ADAPT]
Members
805 posts
12,773 battles

It was far more glorious ship before, then come the minotour-> worchester->harugumo.

[SPF]
[SPF]
Members
91 posts
9,172 battles

^^ what the others have said.

Also, your battles survived is very low (below 30%)  for a ship as tanky as a yammy. Try to be less agressive, stay alive longer (40-50% is something to aim for) and you will also be doing more damage and be more useful for team. Then your WR will go up as well.

Edited by _Kaiser_Sose_

[MIA-A]
[MIA-A]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,985 posts
7,647 battles
3 hours ago, Rednecks_Slayer said:

You can if it's giving a completely flat angle, but Yamato's armour is so thick that it can easily shatter its own shells past 13km with only a slight angle. Lower caliber guns are nothing to be afraid of. Yamato's gunnery is well suited for ranges where Montana's guns can hardly scratch it. 

[SPCU]
Members
69 posts
3,673 battles

Do not give broadside. Be careful where you point your cheeks. That cheek meat is delicious to any other bb. Even wonky short fuse conq ap will cit the bejeezus out of you if you give cheek or broadside. Unless the situation is exceedingly favorable ignore your rear turret.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
921 posts
6,293 battles

Too few matches played for statistics to be meaningful. Don't even start to look at stats until you've crossed the 100 battle mark. Below that point it is too easy for one good or bad day to significantly skew the numbers. 

[TRG]
Members
121 posts
2,527 battles

you should take a look at yourself and understand your ships armor.

although your stats look good, your destruction ratio is low. as a Yamato, you should atleast be sinking 1 ship per battle. thatst the least you can do.  Also Since seeing you have low kills per battle, I think you should choose your  targets more carefully, and kill them to win the battle. 

Afterall it is RANDOM battles , with RANDOM potatoes. no one can be counted on to win the battle for you. even a great players is bound to have bad days. just keep learning and improving

[-K-]
Members
1,067 posts
7,118 battles

It might help to see a replay to really judge.  I'd recommend sending a few in to @Lord_Zath who has a YouTube channel dedicated to reviewing and providing feedback to players on their replays.  https://www.youtube.com/lord_zath

Positioning is really the first key thing in high tier BBs.  You need to position yourself to 1) protect yourself from being overly focused, and 2) provide accurate shots, preferably on enemy broadsides.  It's especially important for the BBs on your team to split up on maps like Tiers of the Desert, to provide cross shot angles when enemies sit bow on to your allies.  If positioned right, you should be able to get broadside shots on those enemies from your position.  Also, try to find a nice spot in the 16-12km range from the contested caps so you can provide accurate supporting fire on DDs.  Shooting DDs as a BB is one big key win rate contributor.  The team with the most DDs left after the first 5-10 minutes of the match usually wins.  As a Yammy, with your accurate guns, you can blap the heck out of DDs, so make sure you're giving DDs your focus.  It's not great for damage padding, but it will really help your win rate.

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,673 posts
15,167 battles

o/

• Cool 1