Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Morpheous

Ranked Sprint, yeah baby! Good job WG!

39 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

216
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,012 posts
9,200 battles

Hi guys,

I just ranked out in the new Ranked Sprint T 5 and did it in 3 days of playing.  My initial impressions were very good and I enjoyed my experience.  I have been a big advocate of a safe rank of Rank 5 for normal Ranked for some time, and my argument was that more folks would play if they didn't experience the agony of getting to 5 and having a string of bad games and then back to 10.  This alone was the major reason I rarely play beyond rank 10, it became too much of a time crunch.  Not so with the new Sprint... safe rank at 3...and wow, this really motivated me to play, and it wasn't tier 10 ships lol.

    My biggest concern was seeing an endless stream of Kami Rs and total premium BBs, and amazingly enough I saw a wide dispersion of ships.  I know I saw every single T5 ship in ranked, even a Crispy Kreme which actually did fairly well in the battle.  The most prevalent ship was the Kongo class ships, then probably the Cesare for BBs, but plenty of Texas, Konigs, IDukes and even some NY.  Cruisers were very spread out, probably equal numbers except for the lone Crispy.  DDs again equally divided, the Kami Rs were not the most prevalent ship, probably equal to all others, was amazed at the number of Russian DDs, particularly the Ohot.  I think I did only see one Jian.  CVs were probably one out of 4 battles, so they impacted some games and in some cases when played by superior players, they had a big impact on the game.

     I didn't see any worse game play at this tier than seen in T10 ranked, and possibly because of some divisions, the game play was tighter.  Good communication for most teams.  I think I only had maybe 3 games where I just cried as the team work and play was about as bad as it could get, but this was countered by a majority of games where the teams worked well together.

     NO RADAR... man was that nice and the bit of hydro that showed up was felt just right.  No radar meant aggressive DD play, made CAs hunting DDs very nerve racking, but fun!   Even with the CVs since they didn't have the same firepower as high end CVs, DDs actually had a chance to live after a CV attack, same with any other ship.. .again this felt right.

    Overall a very enjoyable experience and WG should be commended for running this Sprint. We had probably 90% clan participation and being able to DIV was very enjoyable.  Good Job!!!  Give this Ranked Sprint a 9/10, it was really that good.  (10/10 for a Sprint ranked 1 flag and a special ship if ranked out over 3-4 sprints)

  • Cool 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,317
[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
17,012 battles

Nice post.

Even with my own salty idiocy over destroyers trying to get cheap kills on ‘a carrier that never risks anything but it’s planes,’ (and also, basically can’t fight back because no manual drop,) it hasn’t been such a bad time.

Some of the usual stupidity, but many more good, close games; the kind I enjoy more than curbstomps.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
585
[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,503 battles
25 minutes ago, Morpheous said:

Hi guys,

I just ranked out in the new Ranked Sprint T 5 and did it in 3 days of playing.  My initial impressions were very good and I enjoyed my experience.  I have been a big advocate of a safe rank of Rank 5 for normal Ranked for some time, and my argument was that more folks would play if they didn't experience the agony of getting to 5 and having a string of bad games and then back to 10.  This alone was the major reason I rarely play beyond rank 10, it became too much of a time crunch.  Not so with the new Sprint... safe rank at 3...and wow, this really motivated me to play, and it wasn't tier 10 ships lol.

    My biggest concern was seeing an endless stream of Kami Rs and total premium BBs, and amazingly enough I saw a wide dispersion of ships.  I know I saw every single T5 ship in ranked, even a Crispy Kreme which actually did fairly well in the battle.  The most prevalent ship was the Kongo class ships, then probably the Cesare for BBs, but plenty of Texas, Konigs, IDukes and even some NY.  Cruisers were very spread out, probably equal numbers except for the lone Crispy.  DDs again equally divided, the Kami Rs were not the most prevalent ship, probably equal to all others, was amazed at the number of Russian DDs, particularly the Ohot.  I think I did only see one Jian.  CVs were probably one out of 4 battles, so they impacted some games and in some cases when played by superior players, they had a big impact on the game.

     I didn't see any worse game play at this tier than seen in T10 ranked, and possibly because of some divisions, the game play was tighter.  Good communication for most teams.  I think I only had maybe 3 games where I just cried as the team work and play was about as bad as it could get, but this was countered by a majority of games where the teams worked well together.

     NO RADAR... man was that nice and the bit of hydro that showed up was felt just right.  No radar meant aggressive DD play, made CAs hunting DDs very nerve racking, but fun!   Even with the CVs since they didn't have the same firepower as high end CVs, DDs actually had a chance to live after a CV attack, same with any other ship.. .again this felt right.

    Overall a very enjoyable experience and WG should be commended for running this Sprint. We had probably 90% clan participation and being able to DIV was very enjoyable.  Good Job!!!  Give this Ranked Sprint a 9/10, it was really that good.  (10/10 for a Sprint ranked 1 flag and a special ship if ranked out over 3-4 sprints)

It’s been my experience also playing mini ranked with Murmansk,Kamikaze R and others .. fun stuff although yesterday in my Kami was holding my own in Cap in smoke not a enemy DD in sight with 2 BBS coming in Cap through a narrow channel and a Cruiser just in Cap at about 4 K and....Got RADARED!!!!!:Smile_ohmy:Did not see who it was suffice to say no escape ...and I died a real nice death battling to the end.. what freakin V ships have Radar ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,525 posts
672 battles
8 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

It’s been my experience also playing mini ranked with Murmansk,Kamikaze R and others .. fun stuff although yesterday in my Kami was holding my own in Cap in smoke not a enemy DD in sight with 2 BBS coming in Cap through a narrow channel and a Cruiser just in Cap at about 4 K and....Got RADARED!!!!!:Smile_ohmy:Did not see who it was suffice to say no escape ...and I died a real nice death battling to the end.. what freakin V ships have Radar ???

Hydro?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
155
[ICOP]
Members
785 posts
3,126 battles
8 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

It’s been my experience also playing mini ranked with Murmansk,Kamikaze R and others .. fun stuff although yesterday in my Kami was holding my own in Cap in smoke not a enemy DD in sight with 2 BBS coming in Cap through a narrow channel and a Cruiser just in Cap at about 4 K and....Got RADARED!!!!!:Smile_ohmy:Did not see who it was suffice to say no escape ...and I died a real nice death battling to the end.. what freakin V ships have Radar ???

Hydro I assume, the CA was a K-Berg?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,141
[SCTFB]
[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
3,923 posts
14,725 battles

I have pretty much have given up I been stuck at rank 3 for days and just can't seem to move forward. It's like I take one step forward and get pushed back two steps

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
585
[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,503 battles
25 minutes ago, Junostorm said:

Hydro I assume, the CA was a K-Berg?

Could have been Hydro but I play a lot of X Yeuyang so see lots of Radar there ,the icon did say Radar and not Hydro then again have never seen a Hydro warning icon..is it a thing ?did not look at the Cruiser after I died other than he also dropped smoke and got sunk by my buddies when they backed out of it

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[WOSDS]
Members
4 posts
1,892 battles

Have to agree with Triela50, I have sat one win from ranking out for two days and continue to yoyo between one win and rank three. Win a couple then lose a couple. Personally while I have top scored on the losing team a number of times it just has not worked out for me and has made what was a enjoyable game mode turn in to a grind that I stopped enjoying. Basically given up and gone back to random battles, relying on your team to improve my rank has just become to much of a chore for me as I am not good enough to carry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
139
[STURM]
Members
271 posts
2,767 battles
7 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Could have been Hydro but I play a lot of X Yeuyang so see lots of Radar there ,the icon did say Radar and not Hydro then again have never seen a Hydro warning icon..is it a thing ?did not look at the Cruiser after I died other than he also dropped smoke and got sunk by my buddies when they backed out of it

Radar and Hydro have the same warning sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
431
[FML]
Members
1,631 posts
9,897 battles
6 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Could have been Hydro but I play a lot of X Yeuyang so see lots of Radar there ,the icon did say Radar and not Hydro then again have never seen a Hydro warning icon..is it a thing ?did not look at the Cruiser after I died other than he also dropped smoke and got sunk by my buddies when they backed out of it

Sonar and radar use the same icon. 

German cruisers generally have a long sonar range. You got nailed by the Konigsberg :-p 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
431
[FML]
Members
1,631 posts
9,897 battles
35 minutes ago, Triela50 said:

I have pretty much have given up I been stuck at rank 3 for days and just can't seem to move forward. It's like I take one step forward and get pushed back two steps

 

5 minutes ago, Targeted said:

Have to agree with Triela50, I have sat one win from ranking out for two days and continue to yoyo between one win and rank three. Win a couple then lose a couple. Personally while I have top scored on the losing team a number of times it just has not worked out for me and has made what was a enjoyable game mode turn in to a grind that I stopped enjoying. Basically given up and gone back to random battles, relying on your team to improve my rank has just become to much of a chore for me as I am not good enough to carry.

Guys, I would be happy to division with you to help you both get over the line, but as I’ve ranked out already, not sure if I can help you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
161
[WOLFB]
Members
418 posts
3,632 battles
1 hour ago, Morpheous said:

I think I did only see one Jian. 

Was that me? I've played 29 games in my JianWei (& 2 in Kirov). I have seen a few other Jianweis but very few.

I just got to Rank 5 before I had to call it a night. I plan on pushing on to Rank 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
104
[-AGW-]
Members
637 posts
9,326 battles
2 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Sonar and radar use the same icon. 

Valuable detail that there I did not know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[FTWRK]
Members
10 posts
4,602 battles

 

3 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Sonar and radar use the same icon. 

 

But they really need a separate one as it would give you a large amount of information. Will the ship immediately detect my torps? Is it going to last 20-60 seconds or 60-120? Are they 5km away or 10km? etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19
[F4E]
[F4E]
Members
105 posts
9,644 battles
5 hours ago, Morpheous said:

 I know I saw every single T5 ship in ranked, even a Crispy Kreme which actually did fairly well in the battle.  The most prevalent ship was the Kongo class ships, then probably the Cesare for BBs, but plenty of Texas, Konigs, IDukes and even some NY.  Cruisers were very spread out, probably equal numbers except for the lone Crispy. 

I've not be in battle against another one so that may have been me in the Krispy Kream. It has been my go to ship in Ranked Spirit I'm currently at 6.  The look on the Gremy's face hiding in smoke when he/she realized 15 guns and hydro was near or the Kongo wondering how a juicy broadside sure kill turned around into a nasty  torp eating devastating strike. 

 

I've had a blast playing V ranked I've participated in and watched on Twitch many good games, fun games, and close nail biters.   

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
431
[FML]
Members
1,631 posts
9,897 battles

I played one Kransky Krym in ranked, and sternly punished their citadel with AP. Didn’t see him again. Hope it wasn’t you, if you’re still trying to rank out.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
232
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,492 posts
8,036 battles
7 hours ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

It’s been my experience also playing mini ranked with Murmansk,Kamikaze R and others .. fun stuff although yesterday in my Kami was holding my own in Cap in smoke not a enemy DD in sight with 2 BBS coming in Cap through a narrow channel and a Cruiser just in Cap at about 4 K and....Got RADARED!!!!!:Smile_ohmy:Did not see who it was suffice to say no escape ...and I died a real nice death battling to the end.. what freakin V ships have Radar ???

Good lord:cap_viking:every cruiser be it CA or CL has hydroacoustic at this tier, and all of them torpedoes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
585
[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,503 battles
1 hour ago, Crokodone said:

Good lord:cap_viking:every cruiser be it CA or CL has hydroacoustic at this tier, and all of them torpedoes.

Good lord i'm well aware of that:Smile_bajan2:but never have been lit up by hydro  before:fish_happy: usually play X DDs didn't know that the icon for hydro is the same one for Radar they should really be a tad different being that range duration and what they can detect are radically different 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
232
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,492 posts
8,036 battles
18 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Good lord i'm well aware of that:Smile_bajan2:but never have been lit up by hydro  before:fish_happy: usually play X DDs didn't know that the icon for hydro is the same one for Radar they should really be a tad different being that range duration and what they can detect are radically different 

There is even more hydro at t10 than t5! :cap_horn:

I do agree the icons should be different, to fuage whether or not to wait it or bail. But wg cant be perfect. 

Edited by Crokodone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,638 posts
13,487 battles

I like this type of Ranked better than the longer lasting variant too. It's also nice to be able to drive my tier 5 ships again.

So far, I'm at rank 5 with 16 battles, 10 with Emile Bertin, 5 with Marblehead, and one with Giulio Cesare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
134
[POP]
Members
532 posts
11,565 battles

    I enjoyed it, I also liked that I had a chance to div up with people who maybe need some help and play with them as well. Was for sure more relaxed and laid back.

Edited by Alabamastan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,638 posts
13,487 battles
8 hours ago, WhoEvrIwant2b said:

Well two loses on way to rank out, I forgot how much I missed the Nicolas.

I saw Nicolas in nearly every battle and they did damn good. The only tier 5 DDs that I have is Acasta and Okhotnik, and I aint impressed with the canoe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×