Jump to content

33 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[CCF]
Members
87 posts
1,747 battles

Been doing some research, and kinda started wondering why the Royal Navy couldn't stand to have a second branch of battleships in-game. Of course, they'd have to be different from the current line to be attractive, so why not have a battlecruiser line? 

There is no shortage of battlecruisers built by the royal navy; a new arc could likely start as early as tier 3, since the first battlecruisers were laid down at the same time as HMS Dreadnought. I would appreciate it if other players could recommend ships they'd like to see, if this new branch were to materialize in the near future.

As battlecruisers (and not battleships), they would feature large calibre guns typically found on battleships, but sacrifice some armour for a speed advantage. As a side note, it would be nice to have Royal Navy battleships that don't sling OP HE all the time, and without an absurd repair party. Instead, I propose better AP (or at least standard compared to other nations) and not-so-OP HE. Also, many of the ships I have named carried some form of torpedo armament. Might be interesting (and make sense) for these to b the standard Royal Navy torpedo launchers, which can launch single torpedoes. The stats provided are historically accurate *cough*, so bear with me. All proposed HP values were calculated using player Fr05ty's tried and true formulas, which he graciously provided. 

In my work, I noticed that there seems to be a 12% increase in HP for the existing British battleships. This change has not been accounted for in the numbers I offer below. 

Designs yet to consider:

https://warshipprojects.wordpress.com/2017/07/03/washington-cherrytrees-2/

https://warshipprojects.wordpress.com/2017/09/25/washington-cherrytrees-2-ii/

https://warshipprojects.wordpress.com/2017/09/27/washington-cherry-trees-ii-part-3/

  • I3
  • J3
  • K2, K3
  • L1
  • L2, L3
  • M2
  • M3
  • N3
  • X4
  • Design Y wppp-no-gb101b1.png
  • Design B, C1, C2, D
  • Design A
  • Design T1
  • LII
  • LIII
  • Battlecruisers K --> A
  • Battleships L --> Z
  • J3, I3, H3a, H3b, H3c – battlecruisers all-in; Nov.-Dec. 1920
  • O3
  • F2, F3

 

Here are my ideas for potential ships, by tier: 

TIER III

Invincible class (HMS Invincible, HMS Inflexible, HMS Indomitable)

  • Main armament:
    • 4x2 305 mm guns
    • 2x2 450 mm torpedo tubes (one on each side, amidships)
    • 1x1 450 mm torpedo tube (stern-mounted)
  • Secondary armament: 
    • 16x1 102 mm guns
  • Speed: 25 knots (ridiculous speed at tier 3, let alone tier 4)
  • Displacement: 21,084 tonnes
  • HP: 35,700 (vs Bellerophon at 38,100)

 

TIER IV

Indefatigable class (HMS Indefatigable, HMS New Zealand, HMAS Australia*)

  • Main armament:
    • 4x2 305 mm guns
  • Speed: 25 knots
  • Displacement: 22,846
  • HP: 37,800 (vs Orion at 42,700) This ship is far below the average 43,900 of other tier 4 ships, and therefore would need to be buffed. 

HMS Neptune (below) - very similar to Imperial Germany's Kaiser class... nothing special in my opinion. Please let me know if there is any disagreement in the comments below. Premium... maybe? Succeeded by very similar Colossus class dreadnought (only real difference being more torpedoes... but who doesn't love a battleship armed with torpedoes?). 

HMS Neptune LOC ggbain 16847.jpg

TIER V

Lion class (HMS Lion, HMS Princess Royal) - As there exists a Lion in-game, the latter name would be better

  • Main armament:
    • 4x2 343 mm guns
  • Speed: 28 knots
  • HP: 47,200 (current maximum HP at tier 4 is 46,400, with the average at 43,920. If this ship were to be used at tier 4, its HP would have to be nerfed moderately. 

HMS Queen Mary

  • Main armament:
    • 4x2 343 mm guns
  • Speed: 28 knots

HMS Tiger

  • Main armament:
    • 4x2 343 mm guns
    • 2x2 533 mm torpedo launchers (one pair amidships on each side)
  • Secondary armament: 
    • 12x1 152 mm guns
  • Speed: 28 knots
  • Displacement: 34,332 tonnes
  • HP: 51,400 (vs Iron Duke at 47,100)

HMS Canada (aka Almirante Latorre (below), could be the first South American (Chilean) battleship in-game)

  • Main armament:
    • 5x2 356 mm guns
    • 4x 533 mm torpedo tubes
  • Speed: 23 knots

Chilean battleship Almirante Latorre.jpg

HMS Agincourt - unique in that it was armed with 7x 2 305 mm guns and 3x 1 torpedo tubes; this ship has an interesting story,  but it isn't truly a battlecruiser (it is a true dreadnought), and therefore might make a very appealing premium ship rather than fitting into this proposed line. 

Image

TIER VI

Renown Class (HMS Renown (below), HMS Repulse) - could be a little OP at tier 6, stats similar to Gneisenau at tier 7

  • Main armament:
    • 3x2 381 mm guns
    • 2x1 533mm torpedo launchers (mounted in the bow)
  • Secondary armament: 
    • 5x3 102 mm guns
    • 2x1 102 mm guns
  • Speed: 31 knots
  • Displacement: 33,265 tonnes (slightly less than the HMS Tiger)
  • HP: 50,130 (vs Queen Elizabeth at 55,300) (Note that this is slightly less than my calculated values for HMS Tiger at tier 5)

1823498.jpg

FOR LOLZ: the Courageous class (HMS Courageous, HMS Glorious, HMS Furious), in particular HMS Furious, which had a grand total of 2x 457 mm guns... this would make an "interesting" premium light cruiser, considering it had the armour of a light cruiser. This thing could lol-pen anything within several tiers, but the number of guns is a "limitation". Personally I wouldn't buy it unless it had a decent reload, and even then...

If enough interest arises in these ridiculous ships, I will post their stats, but here's a pic to satisfy your interest:

Image result for hms furious 1917 

TIER VII

Admiral Class (HMS Hood, HMS Anson, HMS Howe, HMS Rodney)

  • Main armament:
    • 4x2 381 mm guns
    • 10x1 torpedo tubes!!!
  • Secondary armament: 
    • 12x1 139 mm guns
  • Speed: 32 knots
  • Displacement: 48,191 tonnes (based on Hood's displacement)
  • HP: 67,800 (vs Hood at 67,700)

HMS Hood (51) - March 17, 1924.jpg

 

TIER VIII

G3 Battlecruisers (paper ships)

  • Main armament:
    • 3x3 406 mm guns
    • 2x2 622 mm torpedo launchers (some serious calibre)
  • Secondary armament: 
    • 8x2 152 mm guns
  • Speed: 32 knots
  • Displacement: 55,652 tonnes
  • HP: 76,574

Related image

Image result for g3 battlecruiser

TIER IX

*** Ideas welcome

Different iteration of G3? Move rear turret closer to stern, faster reload? 

TIER X

N3 Battlecruisers (paper ships) - the ship to rival the Yamato (difference in calibre of 3 mm)

  • Main armament:
    • 3x3 457 mm guns
    • 2x3 (or 2x4) 533 mm torpedo launchers
  • Secondary armament: 
    • 8x2 152 mm guns
  • Speed: 30 knots (maybe increased for the tier)

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*HMAS Australia would be a good addition to the Commonwealth tech tree

 

Please send me suggestions by replying!

Also, here's a link to a very similar topic on the Asia forum: 

https://forum.worldofwarships.asia/topic/3961-british-royal-navy-and-battlecruisers/

Edited by Grand_Admiral_Murrel
Player suggestions, further research, more guns, now with visual effects (aka pictures)
  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54
[MOH]
Members
242 posts
1,273 battles

N3 is a beast, and I think fits more as a T10.  G3 fits more as a T9 imho. 

The other option is push everything up a tier and split what you have at T3 into T3 and T4, like this:

TIER III

Invincible class (HMS Invincible, HMS Inflexible, HMS Indomitable)

  • Main armament:
    • 4x2 305 mm guns
  • Speed: 25 knots (ridiculous speed at tier 3, let alone tier 4)

TIER IV

Indefatigable class (HMS Indefatigable, HMS New Zealand, HMAS Australia*)

  • Main armament:
    • 4x2 305 mm guns
  • Speed: 25 knots

Edit - I think this is a GREAT idea btw.

Edited by Ranari
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CCF]
Members
87 posts
1,747 battles
38 minutes ago, Ranari said:

N3 is a beast, and I think fits more as a T10.  G3 fits more as a T9 imho. 

The other option is push everything up a tier and split what you have at T3 into T3 and T4, like this:

TIER III

Invincible class (HMS Invincible, HMS Inflexible, HMS Indomitable)

  • Main armament:
    • 4x2 305 mm guns
  • Speed: 25 knots (ridiculous speed at tier 3, let alone tier 4)

TIER IV

Indefatigable class (HMS Indefatigable, HMS New Zealand, HMAS Australia*)

  • Main armament:
    • 4x2 305 mm guns
  • Speed: 25 knots

Edit - I think this is a GREAT idea btw.

Thanks for the advice! Upon further consideration, I moved the N3 up to tier 10, but wonder about the G3. Will continue to update. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,847
Supertester, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
11,236 posts
1,928 battles

N3 is only 23 knot speed; its a battleship through and through. There are other designs of the time of G3 that work at VIII and X, G3 herself can probably work at tier IX. 

As for tier V, I'd recommend Tiger rather than Queen Mary, as she's a bigger improvement over the Princess Royal, and is the peer of both Iron Duke and Kongou

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,119
[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
900 posts
5,978 battles
On 10/24/2018 at 1:27 PM, Grand_Admiral_Murrel said:

TIER VI

Renown Class (HMS Renown, HMS Repulse) - could be a little OP at tier 6, stats similar to Gneisenau at tier 7

  • Main armament:
    • 3x2 381 mm guns
    • 2x1 533mm torpedo launchers (mounted in the bow)
  • Speed: 31 knots

FOR LOLZ: the Courageous class (HMS Courageous, HMS Glorious, HMS Furious), in particular HMS Furious, which had a grand total of 2x 457 mm guns... this would make an "interesting" premium, considering it had the armour of a light cruiser. This thing could lol-pen anything within several tiers, but the number of guns is a "limitation".

If enough interest arises in these ridiculous ships, I will post the stats for these ships. 

I would love to see this ship in the game!

#anchorsaweigh

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,811
[SALVO]
Members
17,100 posts
17,770 battles

I'd love to see the HMS Tiger as a tier 5 premium "BB", though given that she was scrapped in the early 30's, there's no WW2 era historical version of her to use, and if the devs went with a historical version, she'd probably be a bit on the weak side.  All in all, the Tiger is quite similar to the Kongo, though her guns are 1/2 inch smaller (which truly isn't much), but with the same turret layout and good speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LHG]
Members
1,657 posts
4,930 battles
On 10/24/2018 at 11:27 AM, Grand_Admiral_Murrel said:

Been doing some research, and kinda started wondering why the Royal Navy couldn't stand to have a second branch of battleships in-game. Of course, they'd have to be different from the current line to be attractive, so why not have a battlecruiser line? 

There is no shortage of battlecruisers built by the royal navy; a new arc could likely start as early as tier 3, since the first battlecruisers were laid down at the same time as HMS Dreadnought. I would appreciate it if other players could recommend ships they'd like to see, if this new branch were to materialize in the near future.

As battlecruisers (and not battleships), they would feature large calibre guns typically found on battleships, but sacrifice some armour for a speed advantage. As a side note, it would be nice to have Royal Navy battleships that don't sling OP HE all the time, and without an absurd repair party. The stats provided are historically accurate *cough*, so bear with me. 

Here are my ideas for potential ships, by tier: 

TIER III

Invincible class (HMS Invincible, HMS Inflexible, HMS Indomitable)

  • Main armament:
    • 4x2 305 mm guns
  • Speed: 25 knots (ridiculous speed at tier 3, let alone tier 4)

Indefatigable class (HMS Indefatigable, HMS New Zealand, HMAS Australia*)

  • Main armament:
    • 4x2 305 mm guns
  • Speed: 25 knots

TIER IV

Lion class (HMS Lion, HMS Princess Royal) - As there exists a Lion in-game, the latter name would be better

  • Main armament:
    • 4x2 343 mm guns
  • Speed: 28 knots

TIER V

HMS Queen Mary

  • Main armament:
    • 4x2 343 mm guns
  • Speed: 28 knots

HMS Tiger

  • Main armament:
    • 4x2 343 mm guns
  • Speed: 28 knots

TIER VI

Renown Class (HMS Renown, HMS Repulse) - could be a little OP at tier 6, stats similar to Gneisenau at tier 7

  • Main armament:
    • 3x2 381 mm guns
    • 2x1 533mm torpedo launchers (mounted in the bow)
  • Speed: 31 knots

FOR LOLZ: the Courageous class (HMS Courageous, HMS Glorious, HMS Furious), in particular HMS Furious, which had a grand total of 2x 457 mm guns... this would make an "interesting" premium, considering it had the armour of a light cruiser. This thing could lol-pen anything within several tiers, but the number of guns is a "limitation".

If enough interest arises in these ridiculous ships, I will post the stats for these ships. 

TIER VII

Admiral Class (HMS Hood, HMS Anson, HMS Howe, HMS Rodney)

  • Main armament:
    • 4x2 381 mm guns
  • Speed: 32 knots

TIER VIII

G3 Battlecruisers (paper ships)

  • Main armament:
    • 3x3 406 mm guns
  • Speed: 32 knots

TIER IX

*** Ideas welcome

TIER X

N3 Battlecruisers (paper ships)

  • Main armament:
    • 3x3 457 mm guns
  • Speed: 30 knots (maybe increased for the tier)

*HMAS Australia would be a good addition to the Commonwealth tech tree

 

Please send me suggestions by replying!

Nice workup.  

No the Renown's are not the equivalent of the Gneisenau.  Her guns are older and less powerful and her armor is far weaker so Tier VI is probably an ok place for her to be that provided you don't think she'd fit better at Tier V.  

I'd probably be temped to use one of the follow on designs for the Admirals carrying eight 16 inch guns in place of the 15 inchers at T8 and possibly push the G3 up to Tier IX.  

There are also a few British BB's which might also be interesting and are not represented in the game at present. 

1) HMS Neptune -  the first of the late 1st generation British Battleships equipped with ten 12 inch/50 caliber guns in an arrangement similar to the German Kaisers. 

2) HMS Agincourt - Equipped with fourteen 12 inch/50 caliber guns.  The most main battery guns carried by any battleship ... ever.   

3) HMS Canada - Equipped with ten 14 inch/45 caliber guns and a touch faster than the Iron Dukes (but not as fast as the Queen Elizabeth's)

Possibly also ... 

A) HMS St. Vincent:  Improved design of the Bellerophon's equipped with 12 inch/50 caliber guns instead of the older 12 inch/45 caliber models.

B) HMS Dreadnought:  The ship that started it all.  Similar to the Bellerophon but with a lighter secondary battery and a somewhat different protective scheme. 

C) HMS Vanguard:  Last battleship built for the Royal Navy on a Lion hull but with the same 15 inch guns as on the Queen Elizabeth's. This one is currently being tested and will presumably grace a Premium Shop near you sometime in the future. 

D) HMS Revenge:  A smaller, slower, better protected version of the Queen Elizabeths.

The Glorious, Courageous, Furious are really more the early equivalent of the Graf Spee than actual battlecruisers but they would certainly be interesting ships to see. 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54
[FTH]
Members
262 posts
10,955 battles

Just a note regarding the Glorious/Courageous/Furious...or rather a question I should say. Am I incorrect in saying that the reason, or rather A reason, they were converted to carriers, was the 18"er's were found to do almost more relative damage to the ship firing them, than was done to the target ship?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54
[MOH]
Members
242 posts
1,273 battles

Also, another thing to consider; what is the intended role for this line?  I know I have probably exhausted the ears of some forum posters, but it's an important aspect to consider.  My guess is that they would fulfill a similar heavy support role as British battleships do, but with emphasis on its AP performance (standardized fuse times) instead of HE performance.  Early battlecruisers would feel like a combination of Warspite and Hood put together, and later tiers would feel like beefier Nelsons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
588 posts
4,261 battles

Why not the proposed 1941 Hood refit at T8? Hood as-is is nerfed to T7 with soft stats, especially her ammunition and gun performance. It would be easy to give her the proposed AA refit, upgraded fire control and ammunition, and a more modern armor scheme to bring her up to standard.

As for Renown, I think she makes sense at T6. Repulse could potentially be a T5 premium, but I think the AA armament of Renown is too strong for T5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LHG]
Members
1,657 posts
4,930 battles
On 10/25/2018 at 7:30 PM, Purg473 said:

Just a note regarding the Glorious/Courageous/Furious...or rather a question I should say. Am I incorrect in saying that the reason, or rather A reason, they were converted to carriers, was the 18"er's were found to do almost more relative damage to the ship firing them, than was done to the target ship?

Well only the Furious actually carried 18 inch guns, the Glorious and Courageous carried 15 inch rifles.  

These ships were converted to carriers primarily because. 

1) They had minimal value as combat ships.  Two or Four guns were no longer considered an effective battery for a capital ship and they were too large and expensive to use well as cruisers, 

2) There was a good chance that these ships, if left in their original configuration, would have to be scrapped under the terms of the 1922 Washington Naval Arms Treaty. 

3) They were fairly large and modern hulls with excellent speed which made their conversion to carriers both relatively inexpensive and effective. 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54
[FTH]
Members
262 posts
10,955 battles

True enough, I hadn't really considered the aspect that they basically converted them to carriers under the same general circumstances we changed the Lexingtons to carriers. Thanks for the correction that it was only Furious that carried the 18s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CCF]
Members
87 posts
1,747 battles

Yamato meets its match!!!

Yamato, say hello to the N3.

Frankly, I'm interested in the possibility of Yamato and Musashi finally meeting their match. If this line were to go through, it would be nice to have a ship with 457 mm guns, something that could LOL-pen/overmatch with the same mechanics as the IJN. As it is, I'll admit I'm kinda biased about the whole "Yamato (and Musashi) reigns supreme" thing going on at high tiers. It's one of the reasons I intentionally chose NOT to go down the IJN tech tree, especially the BBs. With the N3 battlecruiser, the playing field might be levelled (just a little). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
588 posts
4,261 battles
On 11/5/2018 at 8:08 AM, Grand_Admiral_Murrel said:

Yamato meets its match!!!

Yamato, say hello to the N3.

Frankly, I'm interested in the possibility of Yamato and Musashi finally meeting their match. If this line were to go through, it would be nice to have a ship with 457 mm guns, something that could LOL-pen/overmatch with the same mechanics as the IJN. As it is, I'll admit I'm kinda biased about the whole "Yamato (and Musashi) reigns supreme" thing going on at high tiers. It's one of the reasons I intentionally chose NOT to go down the IJN tech tree, especially the BBs. With the N3 battlecruiser, the playing field might be levelled (just a little). 

 

Sadly, 457mm guns are not the same as 460mm guns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
588 posts
4,261 battles
1 hour ago, Grand_Admiral_Murrel said:

357 mm guns, 360 mm guns... close enough. They're still bloody big. :cap_rambo:

 

My sweet summer child,

 

Because of the overmatch mechanics, not really. If (caliber/14.3) is greater than the thickness of the armor you hit, you'll overmatch. This means that 460mm guns can overmatch and automatically pen 32mm plating, while 457mm guns can only overmatch 31mm plating. By comparison, 406mm guns (as on Iowa, Montana etc.) overmatch 28mm of plating.

 

So in practice, the Yamato can overmatch T10 BB bow plating, one of the most important armor thresholds in the game. The 457mm guns on the Conqueror are on the other hand identical in overmatch to the 431mm gun on the Republique in that they both pass a 30mm threshold- which only includes some hull plating on the Zao, Henri, and Hindenburg. Functionally, in a fight against another battleship, the 457mm guns are mechanically no different than 406mm guns. In a bow-on fight, your AP will ricochet off the enemy hull, and your damage will be limited to either turret or superstructure pens, or HE damage. This is one more reason among many why the 419mm guns on the Conqueror are so much superior.

 

The extra 3mm diameter on the Yamatos shells are the most important 3mm in the game... 31.95mm vs. 32.16mm of overmatch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CCF]
Members
87 posts
1,747 battles
15 hours ago, vonluckner said:

 

My sweet summer child,

 

Because of the overmatch mechanics, not really. If (caliber/14.3) is greater than the thickness of the armor you hit, you'll overmatch. This means that 460mm guns can overmatch and automatically pen 32mm plating, while 457mm guns can only overmatch 31mm plating. By comparison, 406mm guns (as on Iowa, Montana etc.) overmatch 28mm of plating.

 

So in practice, the Yamato can overmatch T10 BB bow plating, one of the most important armor thresholds in the game. The 457mm guns on the Conqueror are on the other hand identical in overmatch to the 431mm gun on the Republique in that they both pass a 30mm threshold- which only includes some hull plating on the Zao, Henri, and Hindenburg. Functionally, in a fight against another battleship, the 457mm guns are mechanically no different than 406mm guns. In a bow-on fight, your AP will ricochet off the enemy hull, and your damage will be limited to either turret or superstructure pens, or HE damage. This is one more reason among many why the 419mm guns on the Conqueror are so much superior.

 

The extra 3mm diameter on the Yamatos shells are the most important 3mm in the game... 31.95mm vs. 32.16mm of overmatch.

I stand corrected, duly noted... lets buff this ship to 460 mm! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CCF]
Members
87 posts
1,747 battles

Actually, if they ever get to introducing the Sovetskii Soyuz to the game, 460 mm guns are a moot point, because Russian. More armour. Russian armour. Is best armour!:Smile_trollface:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36
[MV_BR]
[MV_BR]
Members
2,219 posts
5,162 battles

Minas Geraes was christened by Senhora Regis de Oliveira, the wife of the Brazilian Minister to Great Britain, and launched at Newcastle-on-Tyne on 10 September 1908. 

Minas Geraes was modernized at the Rio de Janeiro Naval Yard in the 1930s, and underwent further refitting from 1939 to 1943. 

Two months after its completion in January 1910, Minas Geraes was featured in Scientific American, which described it as "the last word in heavy battleship design and the...

Two of these ship were laid down by Armstrong in Elswick (Minas Geraes and Rio de Janeiro), while the other was subcontracted out to Vickers in Barrow (São Paulo). 

 

Edited by RasAlexander
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
516
[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,439 posts
4,631 battles

I'd love to see a battlecruiser line

I think Wargaming has proven this can work: one only needs look at how well Scharnhorst plays, and those high-tier Russian 'cruisers'.

Vanguard is probably the latest that would more suit a 'battlecruiser' title: I think the line would be defined by high manoeuvrability and either accurate or versatile guns - allowing the ships to play like cruisers.

1940_hms_renown_ark_royal_sheffield.jpg.c97338318121404e1c1061337e834dd6.jpg

Give me the 1939 HMS Renown. Rebuilt as a carrier AA escort, perhaps she could get an AA boost as her 'gimmick'. Or, as she recorded a constant 35 knots while carrying Churchill to meet Roosevelt and Stalin, a speed boost module.

 196129428_Cropped_View_of_the_H._M._S._Renown_the_ship_that_carried_King_George_VI_of_England_to_his_shipboard_meeting_with_President...thumb.jpg.384722f9e354e9ff34e46b81b3c51b95.jpg

IMG_0438.JPG.f11dfaa0d5e2f633e5c2b708df67a753.JPG

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CCF]
Members
87 posts
1,747 battles

Absolutely; all battlecruisers should have high speeds, decent maneuverability, and accurate (compared to typical battleship accuracy) main battery guns. Speed boost would be an interesting consumable. The weakness for battlecruisers, of course, is weaker armour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CCF]
Members
87 posts
1,747 battles
20 hours ago, RasAlexander said:

Minas Geraes was christened by Senhora Regis de Oliveira, the wife of the Brazilian Minister to Great Britain, and launched at Newcastle-on-Tyne on 10 September 1908. 

Minas Geraes was modernized at the Rio de Janeiro Naval Yard in the 1930s, and underwent further refitting from 1939 to 1943. 

Two months after its completion in January 1910, Minas Geraes was featured in Scientific American, which described it as "the last word in heavy battleship design and the...

Two of these ship were laid down by Armstrong in Elswick (Minas Geraes and Rio de Janeiro), while the other was subcontracted out to Vickers in Barrow (São Paulo). 

 

I was already thinking about the possibility of battleships for the Pan-American tree; the only problem is that the tree would likely end with the Almirante Latorre at tier 5. Anything after that would have to be paper ships or orders that were cancelled. Still, these would be neat premium ships to buy. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[SAA]
Members
13 posts
5,184 battles

Since the American cruiser arc, I've been wondering "what if" there was a battleship split between actual battleships and battlecruisers. And after wondering through the forum and several webpages dedicated to the subject, I'll deliver my considerations in a comprehensive graphical format. It doesn't differ much from the opinions here, except for T8 battlecruiser, though.

My considerations for the whole British techtree also include a line for Heavy Cruiser, which I mainly took from https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/75626-british-heavy-cruisers/ and https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/138046-british-heavy-cruiser-design-notes/

The carrier line, which has ship icons already in-game (for most CVs), have been included as well.

EDIT:

T3: HMS Indefatigable (HMS Invincible being a T3 premium, following the principle HMS Bellerophon/HMS Dreadnought)

T4: HMS Queen Mary

(T4 Premium HMS Furious prior to her overhaul)

T5: HMS Tiger 

(T5 Premium HMS Lion Princess Royal ...to avoid confusion with another great feline already in-game).

T6: HMS Renown

T7: HMS Howe (last name unclaimed by other in-game battleships as Nelson/Rodney/Anson)

T8: J3 (name borrowed from a WWI battlecruiser)

T9: G3 or H3c as the guns layout in design G3 are quite awkward and WG may want to spare themselves of the avalanche of complaints - I, however, would love to try this different gun layout. 

... G3 as a premium, then?

T10: K2 (the same here).

 

 

British_techtree_alt_dez2018.jpg

Edited by Brooklin82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CCF]
Members
87 posts
1,747 battles
On 10/29/2018 at 1:16 AM, vonluckner said:

Why not the proposed 1941 Hood refit at T8? Hood as-is is nerfed to T7 with soft stats, especially her ammunition and gun performance. It would be easy to give her the proposed AA refit, upgraded fire control and ammunition, and a more modern armor scheme to bring her up to standard.

As for Renown, I think she makes sense at T6. Repulse could potentially be a T5 premium, but I think the AA armament of Renown is too strong for T5.

Tier 7 is generally dedicated to end-of-WWI and inter-war years ships; Hood would not do well at tier 8. 32mm bow plating necessary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×