Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
C0L0NEL_MUSTARD

Tier 8 DD Lightning, My Experience and Impressions

9 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[KWA]
Members
118 posts
7,874 battles

Above is a Replay Breakdown where I breakdown my initial experience and my overall experience in this ship. I go over it's role and why I think the ship is a solid boat, but doesnt really have a place in the current meta.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
235
[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,083 battles

Can’t say that I disagree with the Lightning (and the rest of the line) only working under specific circumstances.  My Lightning battles have not been that enjoyable, the vast majority have been tiered up into tier 10 games, and I find the Lightning to be not very competitive in these situations.  After grinding all the lines, I find it to be the least enjoyable tier 8 DD (though the Og gives it a run for the bottom slot).  Am not actively grinding my Lightning - feel no desire to work up the tree at this point.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
291 posts
5,044 battles
35 minutes ago, Panzer1113 said:

Can’t say that I disagree with the Lightning (and the rest of the line) only working under specific circumstances.  My Lightning battles have not been that enjoyable, the vast majority have been tiered up into tier 10 games, and I find the Lightning to be not very competitive in these situations.  After grinding all the lines, I find it to be the least enjoyable tier 8 DD (though the Og gives it a run for the bottom slot).  Am not actively grinding my Lightning - feel no desire to work up the tree at this point.

What are you smoking? Lightning is hands down the best silver t8 DD in the game by far.

Your stealth is almost unbeatable (kagero by 0.1km oh no), your guns are great with their damage, angles, and rotation. You have a get out of jail free smoke whenever you want. You have 3 minutes of torp immunity for rushing smokes or contesting caps.

Speaking as the current #1 lightning on NA by a good 600pr, this ship is broken when you use it correctly and has no issues toppling the board and winning games. 

 

unknown-241.png

unknown-129.png

unknown-157.png

unknown-118.png

unknown-134.png

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
365
[HELLS]
Members
1,688 posts
15,274 battles
5 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

Capture.thumb.PNG.3ee714597d423d0e2287489b699ebef6.PNG

Poor Cossack is clearly weak...

Cossack is a gunship with bad concealment.....give her Haida's concealment, and everyone will be screaming ''OP''

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
235
[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,083 battles
1 hour ago, The_Painted_Target said:

What are you smoking? Lightning is hands down the best silver t8 DD in the game by far.

Your stealth is almost unbeatable (kagero by 0.1km oh no), your guns are great with their damage, angles, and rotation. You have a get out of jail free smoke whenever you want. You have 3 minutes of torp immunity for rushing smokes or contesting caps.

Speaking as the current #1 lightning on NA by a good 600pr, this ship is broken when you use it correctly and has no issues toppling the board and winning games. 

 

unknown-241.png

unknown-129.png

unknown-157.png

unknown-118.png

unknown-134.png

 Glad you are doing well in it. My opinion is based on my experience and my play style.  If it clicks with you, great.  Every ship in the game has supporters and detractors.  For me, it has not clicked and I have a plethora of better DDs, that tier up well and feel more competitive.  If someone asks me which line to grind for DD play, RN line would not be it.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
291 posts
5,044 battles
7 hours ago, Panzer1113 said:

 Glad you are doing well in it. My opinion is based on my experience and my play style.  If it clicks with you, great.  Every ship in the game has supporters and detractors.  For me, it has not clicked and I have a plethora of better DDs, that tier up well and feel more competitive.  If someone asks me which line to grind for DD play, RN line would not be it.

Well how are you playing it then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
417
[CAST]
Members
1,398 posts
5,815 battles
On 10/24/2018 at 4:46 PM, Panzer1113 said:

 Glad you are doing well in it. My opinion is based on my experience and my play style.  If it clicks with you, great.  Every ship in the game has supporters and detractors.  For me, it has not clicked and I have a plethora of better DDs, that tier up well and feel more competitive.  If someone asks me which line to grind for DD play, RN line would not be it.

Without trying to ruffle anybody's feathers, Lightning is a ship which does exceptionally well in the hands of a skilled player who understands its strengths and weaknesses, and which does just as poorly in the hands of somebody else.  It's a lot like the British cruisers in the regard.

Lightning requires some patience in the early game; you need to have a good idea of where the enemy ships are before you really commit to anything because you don't have the health pool to shrug off getting focused early.  Those short-duration smokes are not for hiding in or shooting up enemy battleships, they're for continuously breaking contact in a series of hit & run strikes which will wear down just about any ship you go up against.  The torpedoes are best used in conjunction with those hit & run strikes during the early game; throw them down along the likely path that an enemy ship (or ships) will take after you've been spotted, then get spotted (then use smoke to get unspotted again).  During the late game they are devastating weapons when combined with your stealth in a radar-free environment.  Lightning's relatively small size, coupled with its great maneuverability and even greater acceleration, even allow for open-water firing over long ranges, providing you aren't going to get body-slammed by 6 enemy ships when you do it.  And Lightning's long-duration sonar and exceptional stealth allow it to excel as a fleet escort (what a destroyer was actually designed for), too.

The biggest key to playing the Lightning well is being able to recognize instantly when you're at a disadvantage in any fight, and then using that smoke to slip away before you give up too much of your health pool.  Obviously couple that with good map awareness, so you don't end up in a nightmare situation such as being chased down by a full health Khabarovsk.  It's not often going to get you huge damage games, but it should be getting you consistent amounts of quality damage against other destroyers (even tier 10s), thus allowing your teams to do well.

EDIT: Thought I should add that your (OP's) commentary style in the video is excellent, as is the editing.  Stick with it, yours is absolutely a channel that will grow! :Smile_great:

Edited by Harv72b
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KWA]
Members
118 posts
7,874 battles
On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:43 AM, Harv72b said:

EDIT: Thought I should add that your (OP's) commentary style in the video is excellent, as is the editing.  Stick with it, yours is absolutely a channel that will grow! :Smile_great:

I appreciate it buddy, I am glad that you enjoyed it! More to come SoonTM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×