You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

Do Friendly Torps do same damage as Enemy ones?

14 comments in this topic

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
54 posts
790 battles

The reason I ask is last night I got friendly torped and did not suffer much damage at all.

(If I am at any way at fault I do sincerely apologize to the Gnevny captain below.)

Starting at spawn in a Leander steaming full speed to an island behind the cap I ran into a Gnevny that was along side me and tried to cross my bow.  I turned away and he / she scraped off.  (Kind of ugly but no damage and these things have been known to happen.)  Next thing I get a torpedo warning and 4 white dots coming to my side.  "oh well I guess I am going to die early today"  Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom,  8,000 damage.  "How is that possible, I should be dead."  I did not have much time to think about it because the Gnevny captain must not have been happy with the result because 4 more white dots started coming my way.  Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, 2,000 damage.  They the Gnevny explodes without anyone touching him / her.

Now the Gnevny spontaneously exploding I am guessing is a WG fail-safe against friendly fire but taking 10,000 damage from 8 torps did not seem right.  That should be enough to take down a battleship let alone a British Cruiser.

So to my original point, are friendly torps less powerful than enemy ones?

Thanks.

Members
1,525 posts
672 battles

50% to start.  At a certain point the damage is reflected back at the shooter.  It sounds like the first of the second set of torps counted, then the rest was reflected back on the Gnevny.

And scraping is never a reason to shoot at a teammate.

Edited by DrHolmes52

[SBD]
[SBD]
Members
231 posts
3,242 battles
28 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

The reason I ask is last night I got friendly torped and did not suffer much damage at all.

(If I am at any way at fault I do sincerely apologize to the Gnevny captain below.)

Starting at spawn in a Leander steaming full speed to an island behind the cap I ran into a Gnevny that was along side me and tried to cross my bow.  I turned away and he / she scraped off.  (Kind of ugly but no damage and these things have been known to happen.)  Next thing I get a torpedo warning and 4 white dots coming to my side.  "oh well I guess I am going to die early today"  Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom,  8,000 damage.  "How is that possible, I should be dead."  I did not have much time to think about it because the Gnevny captain must not have been happy with the result because 4 more white dots started coming my way.  Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, 2,000 damage.  They the Gnevny explodes without anyone touching him / her.

Now the Gnevny spontaneously exploding I am guessing is a WG fail-safe against friendly fire but taking 10,000 damage from 8 torps did not seem right.  That should be enough to take down a battleship let alone a British Cruiser.

So to my original point, are friendly torps less powerful than enemy ones?

Thanks.

Those torps don't sound like they were accidently fired.

Edited by DarkStormy

[O_O]
Members
783 posts
4,734 battles
12 minutes ago, Devildog23 said:

There's no such thing as friendly torps..............

Correct.

I was in Lightning and heard the torpedo warning go off, looked toward the red side of the map before realizing they were from a friendly Ibuki behind me.  Both of their port side racks.

Tried to turn in, slow down and dodge, but not early enough to avoid five of them.  Cost me around 6k health, and the launching ship lost about the same as they took on a lovely shade of pink for a bit.  

They apologized, I was able to finish out the game and managed to stay right around half health until very near the end when I was the last ship standing.  Had a reasonably good 100k-ish game too.

On topic, though; no.  They definitely do not do full damage any longer.  Part of me wants to fuss about that and insist they should, but it's probably one of those things that are better for gameplay that they do not.

-R

Edited by Mister_Rawr
Blame porcupines. For reasons.
  • Cool 1

Members
147 posts
2,993 battles

I think it is a good thing, it minimizes the damage to the friendly (if the hit is accidental), which is a good thing for the one taking the torps, and it seems in this case that it aggravated the launching ship, which resulted in the second set of torps the OP received.  The second set was reflected back on the launching ship while inflicting even less damage to the OP, this is in line with what I expect to happen before someone turns pink.  As I understand it, continued behavior like this would result in Orange status for the already pink captain, not that we can ever see that someone is orange, they still will just look pink to everyone else.

[O_O]
Members
783 posts
4,734 battles
9 minutes ago, HayabusaZ said:

while inflicting even less damage to the OP

Yeah, I believe there's a point where they begin to do no damage to the friendly receiver.  Might be worth some training room time, if the mechanic even works there.  Will have to check it out.

-R

[INTEL]
Members
6,627 posts
25,323 battles
1 hour ago, Devildog23 said:

Came too late to say exactly that.

Members
623 posts
6,893 battles

50%, interesting.

I have had quite a few games where I had to uses my best torpedo beats not to get hit by my own team.

I've often thought, don't dodge, see what happens.

You launch them, it's all on you.

• Cool 1

Members
1,525 posts
672 battles
4 minutes ago, Capt_Mexib said:

50%, interesting.

I have had quite a few games where I had to uses my best torpedo beats not to get hit by my own team.

I've often thought, don't dodge, see what happens.

You launch them, it's all on you.

I was in a co-op game with a guy on my team (pink) and he shot torps at me in spawn.

I was in the Belle and just started moving and put in a superhuman effort to only get hit by one.

All the damage was reflected back. 

If I had let two hit me, he would have died.  I was so mad.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[TDRB]
Members
960 posts
3,700 battles
6 hours ago, Devildog23 said:

No there isn't. I have been a victim & have victimized others with what we erroneously call "friendly fire". 

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
54 posts
790 battles

You know, they should have a hot key that makes your mini map icon blink red and announces "Torpedo Launched"  They got a hot key for "Fair Winds..."  I think "Torp Launched" would be more valuable.

[O_O]
Beta Testers
85 posts
6,870 battles
17 hours ago, kgh52 said:

No there isn't. I have been a victim & have victimized others with what we erroneously call "friendly fire". 

One of Murphy's Laws of Combat. "Friendly fire isn't friendly".... Followed by one of my personal favorites, "Incoming fire always has the right of way".