You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
UltimateNewbie

T8 MM is Broken and everyone refuses to believe me

116 comments in this topic

[FML]
Members
1,629 posts
9,884 battles

So, I'm always amused by threads by people complaining about MM, and how T8s are solidly worked over.  I often reply, saying its largely confirmation bias and its not really that bad.  @Lert, to his credit, has even volunteered to eventually collect some actual statistics on it in order to help shut them up.  

Today, I'm pretty sure I got what those players who complain about MM call a "normal" battle with T8 MM.  They get battles like this one after another after another.  100 per cent of the time, every time. 

My challenge: try and beat it, you haters of T8 MM :Smile-_tongue:

181024 T8 Broken MM.jpg

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,743 posts
3,925 battles

This is the sort of "I am bottom tier in my T8 ship" battle I do not like.

I like it even less because I am almost always in a Royal Navy cruiser.

I like it a lot more when there are other T8's in the game with me, or just a handful of Tier 10's to keep things interesting and exciting. But this is just Whisky Tango Foxtrot territory. This is the sort of matchmaking where I play the game called "Can I stay alive to the end, while contributing anything meaningful?"

Things could be worse - you could be in the prior iteration of matchmaking where you are the ONLY T8 ship and don't even have a Tier 8 enemy to share your misery. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
387 posts
3,334 battles

Same stuff for co-op.

shot-18.10.24_08.18.38-0626.jpg

So, yeah.  I can feel you pain way over in the kiddie section!

Edited by Captain_Slattery
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
1,382 posts
1,468 battles

Currently grinding 3 T8 ships.. And yup this is pretty much the way it is 75% of the time..   Its an old game a whole lot of current player base has been around a while  are grinding their t10s or just play them to avoid the MM.  Thanks Legendary upgrades!   I just shake it off and carry on, but T8 cruisers are a rough haul in T10 match-ups.  the NC can get along ok in them?  None of them have any room at all for error..    Just love in my North Carolina getting gunned down by one of the new and improved T10 Gunboat DDs.   Hey if you like a challenge you'll love T8.        

• Cool 1

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles

@UltimateNewbie you might think you have the market cornered with 11 Tier 10's on each side, but rest assured it could be worse.

Someone out there has been in a division with 1 Tier 8 and them being a Tier 7 with 10 Tier 10's. 

Heck, you didn't even have a Midway in your game, lol. 

Regardless, outside of the period of time when the MM was +/-3, it's been +/-2 and now with the stipulation with Tier 4 protection. However, they are taking further steps to improve the MM and have stated this a few times now.

What is the biggest disadvantage in a game like the one you posted isn't the Tier 8's. Nope, it's the players that see the Tier spread and immediately start throwing a fit in chat over the issue. Filled with over exaggerations using terms and phrases like "every single game", "always happens to me", and my favorite "rigged MM". 

The self defeatest is the largest disadvantage to a team in any scenario, not a ship nor its Tier.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
1,587 posts
4,345 battles

Every time? Puuh. However, is that MM common? Yes, yes it is. I’m grinding 4x Tier 8 lines at the moment, I spend time as either the token tier 8 or with one tier 8 amigo predictably. 

It could always be worse. My daily the other day was as the token Tier 8 sailing Cleveland. Nothing spectacular - 60 or 70k damage, 1 frag as I recall.  That day really hurt my overall WR though (down to 55%) because I lost four matches in a row where I was...wait for it...top tier. The problem was that even unleashing the Kraken and doing hundreds of thousands in damage wasn’t enough to carry those teams.

I’ll take bottom tier in a good team over top tier in the potato patch every time.

[13CLM]
Members
202 posts
1,117 battles

I never had a problem at T8, I really do not like T9.

• Cool 1

[H_]
Members
691 posts

OK, it's not every time and I play a lot of tier 8 ships:  the highest tier where you can at least "break-even" financially......

And, like you, I have a screen shot or two of the same scenario you've provided a screen shot as proof.   Why are Tier 8's being pulled upward?  Because there aren't enough Tier 9 and 10 Captains !!!   They are "farming" lower since the cruiser line split with radar cruisers to hedge their stats and war chests !!!!  I'm just about done grinding with the IJN line (less cv's)......I have the BB's to finish grinding but I'm working on the Issy at the moment )and, lose money more than earn it at tier 9 !)....  I use the tier 8's as my "routine player level" because of the ROI of that tier......

Like most, we play only "where there is value"......  If WG keeps messing with the era and technologies, we're about done; and, we've lost a few to the gimmicks...... 

Edited by Asym_KS

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,203 posts
5,662 battles

I think part or it could be a lot of people have opted out of high tier game play. I do not play T-8 to 10's in randoms, for me personally I do not find the meta interesting or fun at all. So T-7 is the highest I will play. I know that I am not the only one, so I think T-8 may be getting a disproportionate amount of T-10 games because the lack of players playing T9's and T-10's. Of course I have no evidence to back it up, it is just a possible explanation. 

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
918 posts
6,293 battles

Tier 8 premiums need protected MM. This would create more T8 games. 

Even coop has gone this way.

Edited by Gen_Saris
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[TXP]
Members
652 posts
10,229 battles

This is why I won't advance back into the new T8 Cleveland, staying content with my Helena and its challenges. I did have a new T8 Cleveland right after its tier shift, and on its 3rd battle was on an Ocean Map with T9s and T10s.

Sold it soon after and went the Dallas to Helena pair. Then sold the Baltimore and the Edinburgh for same reasons. Try Minotuar and Zao against the Edinburgh. This type of play turns you into a very (almost too) cautious player, or a yolo lunatic.

Charlie Martel also sold, but actually before last nerf was pretty good. NC is another good T8 ship to hang onto, since it handles so well. 

Won't advance past my successful and fun to play KGV BB into Monarch for the same reason; don't need to fight T9-10 BBs with it. MM won't even give you a chance to build up XP into very much needed hull-engine-fire control upgrades, so why get blasted off the map ? MM says " your punishment is waiting ". I say they can keep it.

I'll play my T8 Bismarck or ARP Takao, but that's the only two I have left.

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles
18 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

World of tanks has protected (they use term preferred) MM for solid selection of T8 vehicles, most of which I have in my garage.  Let me assure you, it has absolutely zero effect on MM the other T8s “enjoy”.  More over, in the attempt to fix MM WG implemented changes that essentially all but assure that you are always bottom tier in T8.  Tech tree T8s are pretty much unplayable in tanks, I tried to play few games last week.  T8s are still playable in this game, people just don’t believe how good they have it.

[-DOG-]
Members
187 posts
3,062 battles

The last 26 Tier 8 battles I had, 10 have been top tier (tier 6-8), 5 at -1 (meaning tier 7-9) and 11 at -2 (8-10).  Yes, small sample size, but thats about what I would expect.

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
407 posts
6,174 battles

I got no problem being uptiered when im T8... It means that if perform well I will get more exp and fxp 

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,503 battles

Just do what we all do when grinding through tier Vlll Cruisers in the wonderful MM .. sunk it up.. soon you’ll never have to play them again against da baddy Xs and the bright side of it is when you finally get an X ... juicy Vlll targets

Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,977 battles
42 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

WoT is trying to remove preferential MM because it mess with the queue(or MM,can't remember exactly). now imagine that with a game with less players like wows.

Beta Testers
601 posts
11 minutes ago, Akashi_Nyan said:

I got no problem being uptiered when im T8... It means that if perform well I will get more exp and fxp 

Those who do have a problem getting uptiered obviously won’t play it much.  But getting uptiered is one thing, getting to be the only T8 among all T10s is another.  That’s one harsh MM there OP.

[LUCK]
Members
1,275 posts
19,006 battles
1 hour ago, UltimateNewbie said:

So, I'm always amused by threads by people complaining about MM, and how T8s are solidly worked over.  I often reply, saying its largely confirmation bias and its not really that bad.  @Lert, to his credit, has even volunteered to eventually collect some actual statistics on it in order to help shut them up.  

Today, I'm pretty sure I got what those players who complain about MM call a "normal" battle with T8 MM.  They get battles like this one after another after another.  100 per cent of the time, every time. 

My challenge: try and beat it, you haters of T8 MM :Smile-_tongue:

181024 T8 Broken MM.jpg

I noticed the other day, while in Zao, far too many games with lonely T8s. This should not occur and queue times is not a valid reason.

• Cool 1

[SF-3]
Members
1,438 posts
7,891 battles

I dont mind being bottom tier at T8, but its the constant bottom tier, like probably 70% of the time you are either bottom or mid tier.

[SAA]
Members
814 posts
26,771 battles
9 minutes ago, Kevs02Accord said:

I dont mind being bottom tier at T8, but its the constant bottom tier, like probably 70% of the time you are either bottom or mid tier.

This^^^.

[FART]
Members
80 posts
4,554 battles

I don't have a problem with being bottom tier in an 8 -- like a previous poster said, it makes for better XP gains across the board.

What I do have a problem with, however, is being the single, only Tier 8 ship on my side in a Tier X battle (as OP was). Formerly it seemed like this was a rarity; now it happens much more often, and since I am currently grinding a number of cruiser lines in these situations I am seemingly always outranged, with worse armor, health, and less consumables.

It would do WG well to remember that players play games to have fun -- too many of these types of matches and it really loses its enjoyment, and can especially make newer players tune out and move on much more quickly. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,362 posts
10,151 battles
2 hours ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Same stuff for co-op.

shot-18.10.24_08.18.38-0626.jpg

So, yeah.  I can feel you pain way over in the kiddie section!

Yup this happens in Co-op too although it isn't as bad as it would be in PVP. Still bad enough. I mostly play T9 and T10 these days so it doesn't impact me too much but occasionally I take a T8 and hate it when I am the only one and all T9/T10 or worse all T10. With how insanely laser accurate bots are facing T10's in a T8, Cruisers especially, is hard even in Co-op.

Although I have all the T10 BB and Cruisers, so in those classes I can always be top tier if I want, I am grinding all the DD's now and am in the T7-T9 range on all of them I am not to T10 in so I still end up the victim when I take those out frequently. I don't think I saw a red bot lower than T9 or T10 in Lightning LOL.

Honestly I hated +2MM when I 1st got thrown into it at T5. I complained to no end about it for a long time (Co-op and PVP). Now that I have so many games played and have reached T10 in so many ships it doesn't bother me as much. When it happens I might think oh crap but I then just get down to it and do what I can. Just doesn't phase me now. But for those grinding and dealing with it, with no choice, I feel for them. +2MM is a hard mistress. I do think when you finally make it through you are a better player for it however.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[TBOW]
Members
183 posts
1,560 battles

See mm for t8 is broken because the absence of t9s, a bunch of t8s can’t do anything to t10s at comfortable range and are forced to get closer and get deleted. T8s however can compete with t9s and wg refuses to fix this problem like what you had with 0 t9s and minimal t8s in a t10 game. It’s worse than the t5-t7 games in a new york

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
918 posts
6,293 battles
1 hour ago, Cruxdei said:

WoT is trying to remove preferential MM because it mess with the queue(or MM,can't remember exactly). now imagine that with a game with less players like wows.

Never had a problem with matches dropping back when I played. If they're having problems now perhaps they should look into why their player pop is shrinking.