You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Guardian54

They gave Saving Transylvania the Ultimate Frontier Treatment

23 comments in this topic

[70]
Members
961 posts
3,691 battles

As usual, Wargaming hasn't got a wooden nickel of a clue what the average team is like compared to full 7-ship divisions, it seems.

It seems that unless the team is so coordinated that no one goes in the Transylvania circle within the first 5 minutes or something to run ahead and clear the map, then send the DDs back to rush the Transylvania across the map, any more than 2 stars seems to be insanely difficult (the final rush of Zikasas seems simply excessive, and all the "spawn at 3km" Magical Zikasas before that don't help). Even winning at all seems absurdly hard.

The main problems are Transylvania stopping and falling below half HP.

The mission was a little bit on the easy side in 2016 until Rasputin appeared. Now it is absurdly hard...

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

[UEFN]
Members
6 posts
4,433 battles

Huh, haven't had any problems in randoms so far with the sole exception of a Zikasa hitting the circle because we were too busy pasting his buddies on the other side of the zone, but then maybe RNJesus gave me better MM.

[-AH-]
Members
664 posts
3,331 battles

Only took me four games. I love your idae of not moving the Translyvannia till some people go ahead, but honestly if you team sticks together and focuses fire it's very doable. 

[HINON]
Members
8,800 posts

Hmm only had 2 fails out of 5 attempts today, the successes were 2 5 star and a 4 star. One of the fails was terrible MM with not a single BB which made catapults a pain and not as much tankiness up front.

Members
3,407 posts
6,070 battles

Very doable if you have 2 DDs and last night I nearly did it with no DDs (that is very hard).  I get on every night and the reasons they fail is ignoring the goals (trying to kill all Zikasas - going back for the 2w in the back) and no DDs.  No ships spawn art the end only 3 KM away...  The first couple times it does take a bit of effort to keep up but it is not harder than it was last year.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,254 posts
24,681 battles

The biggest issue I'm seeing is people blocking the Tran, thus costing 1 star.

Members
1,476 posts
659 battles
11 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Hmm only had 2 fails out of 5 attempts today, the successes were 2 5 star and a 4 star. One of the fails was terrible MM with not a single BB which made catapults a pain and not as much tankiness up front.

That is the worst.

Last attempt today, going great until the DDs started going through the circle and speeding up the Trans.  I got caught on the wrong side for Rasputin and couldn't get shots off and the other BB was too far behind.

Members
3,407 posts
6,070 battles

Just played - we had one DD who decided to go back for the 2 in the back and ended with ONE kill.... yea - we lost.  THe DD did turn around when I told him top get up front but it was too late.

[PRNA]
Members
201 posts
2,693 battles

Really? 5 staring it was a breeze for me. Did it three times with different mates, once solo.

Pick the cruiser. Shoot until you light a fire. The AI will immediately damage control. Shoot your next salvo at another ship, then switch back to the first ship. Shoot to light two fires, one on the bow, one on the frontal midsection, because that's usually all you can get at. Rinse and repeat. Don't worry about the towers unless you can't do anything else, they are the BBs job. Finally, stay ahead or with the fleet so that when Rasputin appears you can shoot it. Make sure to get 4 fires on it. It lights up like a tiki torch, so its real easy. Do this twice and it dies.

There ya go. Mission complete.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,706 posts
11,323 battles
28 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

Very doable if you have 2 DDs and last night I nearly did it with no DDs (that is very hard).  I get on every night and the reasons they fail is ignoring the goals (trying to kill all Zikasas - going back for the 2w in the back) and no DDs.  No ships spawn art the end only 3 KM away...  The first couple times it does take a bit of effort to keep up but it is not harder than it was last year.

You don't need (actually its a huge mistake to do that) to go back for the ones behind, just ignore them, just killing those that spawn in the path of the ship gives you more than the needed 16 kills.

Edit, NVM, i miss read I see you already know this.

Edited by Kapitan_Wuff

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
379 posts
3,318 battles

My first run must have been the first run for all but one of us.  We derped along shooting at targets of opportunity while one of us kept shouting at us in chat and calling us nasty names because we weren't doing it right.  Not fun, also not a good way to get someone to follow your directions.  We lost, of course.

I have since had 3 successful runs in 4 tries because the guys on the team were starting to get how to win.  Two 5 star and one 4 star.

I have never beaten Ultimate Frontier since the "update" to it.  I know it's possible, but so is hitting the darned lottery.

While I understand the frustration of the OP, Saving Transylvania is at least reasonably doable with a halfway decent team.  UF needs a top tier team all working in concert.  There is hard and then there is UF HARD. Big difference.

CS

[TF16B]
Members
8,048 posts
16,978 battles
59 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

First try this year was actually all the (Nassaus) and (St Louis’). Several of us bemoaned the lack of smoke; but we seven total Randoms stuck together; shot anything that came close to bits, and despite loses 3-stared in the end.

Had a few loses in the games I played, (all five in Nassau,) but it doesn’t seem any different than last year... (My ‘Faith in WG’ stock is a bit low right now, so I was worried a bit.

I’m more concerned about the T8 Op. WG’s idea of carrier balanz seems to be ‘GIVE EVERYTHING DFAA!!!’ So I half way expect the (Lexington) to not be able to accomplish much...

[70]
Members
961 posts
3,691 battles

Once you pass the initial middle island, you get 2 waves of Zikasa spawns where one of them in each wave shows up well within 2ndary range of someone sitting just outside Transylvania's circle.

Which is a bit of a problem.

I consistently ran into at least one AFK and/or one idiot tooling around the far west in my MM. And people kept crowding the Transylvania so the battleships simply couldn't keep up.

Members
1,626 posts
9,725 battles

When I play DD on this OP my role is to be the final stop to prevent an enemy from entering the circle.  If you have two DDs have one on the North, the other South.  If alone stay in the middle and let them come to you, or range far enough ahead to reduce the numbers early.

Just make sure you are in position to smoke Transylvania for the Rasputin encounter.

[PRNA]
Members
201 posts
2,693 battles
18 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

When I play DD on this OP my role is to be the final stop to prevent an enemy from entering the circle.  If you have two DDs have one on the North, the other South.  If alone stay in the middle and let them come to you, or range far enough ahead to reduce the numbers early.

Just make sure you are in position to smoke Transylvania for the Rasputin encounter.

Yup.

DDs shotgun things the cruisers and BBs don't have time to finish off and smoke Transylvania at the end.

Cruisers do the main damage on the Zikasas and Rasputin. 

BBs sit in the bubble as far forward as they can and prioritize killing the towers.

If your team manages anything close to this it not a difficult encounter. It just takes a time or two to acclimate to the mission, then another time or two to roll the right teammates.

[LHG]
Members
1,190 posts
4,924 battles

I don't think anything's changed, people just don't know how to run the operation. Solo random as always, and every team so far either 3-stars (<50%, stopping) or fails.

[NGA-B]
Members
1,194 posts
7,594 battles

It took me more tries than I care to admit, but my team pulled a five star miracle last night.

[BOATC]
Members
297 posts
7,120 battles
13 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

It took me more tries than I care to admit, but my team pulled a five star miracle last night.

Pretty much the same for me.

[ADPT2]
Members
59 posts
2,010 battles

Its actually pretty easy if you keep 1 ship in the circle, and 1 bb leading the charge, while the other flank the circle on either side.  The BB will clear the catapults first, and it is very easy to score mega alpha strikes on the mikasa.  When we do it in a division we usually clear it without the transilvania losing even 1 hp.  Usually we run with 0 dd as well.

Towards the end you can just ram rasputin and that ends the final boss battle pretty quickly lol.

[-AVA-]
Members
7 posts
4,796 battles
12 hours ago, mixmkz said:

Its actually pretty easy if you keep 1 ship in the circle, and 1 bb leading the charge, while the other flank the circle on either side. 

I agree.   With a battleship out front, my teams consistently scored four or five stars.

[BLKRS]
[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
465 posts
2,079 battles

Seems even easier than last year actually.. only need 1 Battleship face tanking everything now and its an easy 4 stars, so long as some knucklehead doesn't sail and stop in front of the trans and the DD's focus Raputin with torps the moment he appears which is absurdly easy, its an easy 5 stars...