You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Chobittsu

SNJ-5 Texan crashlands in California, media proves that it sucks at aircraft identification.

17 comments in this topic

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,398 posts

So a friend sent me a link to this...
tmz_being_idiots_by_chobittsu_studios-dc

Right away I was like "TMZ eh? I wonder what they got wrong..."   It didn't take me long to spot the problem.

part2_by_chobittsu_studios-dcq6tg9.png

Firstly, 109s have inline engines, not radials. Secondly, even if it were an Fw-190, the cowling and undercarriage are all wrong.
So I did a couple quick google searches... it took me less than 3 minutes to find the plane that crashed, an SNJ-5 Texan from Condor Squadron.

33463278290_3767cb7b4b_b.jpg

I achieved better journalism in the time it takes to microwave a burrito than TMZ has...

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SOUP]
7,398 posts
Just now, Admiral_Franz_von_Hipper said:

I saw a whole video about everything the news and media get wrong about aviation.

One that annoys me most is "tarmac". It's called an "apron" you morons! Cause of people like that, even my mother who grew up on a military base is always calling it that now...

Fine then, EVERYONE! Start calling common things by incredibly random names! That's not a "hubcap", that's a "twiddly-widdly"

• Funny 2

[SOUP]
7,398 posts
13 minutes ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

Well....at least they didn't call it a helicopter? 

Oh I've seen them do that... and live through it...   my mother, despite having been born and raised on a military base in the Cold War... can barely tell the difference between a tank and a bus.  When we visited HMCS Haida, I spent half an hour explaining the difference between a battleship and a destroyer.  And just yesterday, she calls me up to ask me to identify a low-flying "twin engine jet bomber" that just flew over her house. Thankfully it's flightpath took it directly over my apartment... and a few minutes later I called her back to tell her to look up what a CC-130J is.

And don't even get me started on the struggle of "tarmac" vs Apron

[INTEL]
Members
6,632 posts
25,386 battles

These people are idiots. Not too difficult to ask someone that knows aviation, is it?

As an aviation photographer and quasi-pilot I could have told them what it was.

That said, the pilot did very well. Sorry to see a beautiful aircraft like this go.

Edited by alexf24

Members
4,463 posts
6,199 battles

2018!  What do these kids know about WWII aircraft?  Long time ago...or just and honest error. 73 years?

Edited by dmckay

[HYDRO]
Members
1,342 posts
3,669 battles

And if you wanted to add even more insult to injury, you could relatively easily find out the insignia point to JG/54 (the green Thuringen heart), and I think 9/Staffel :Smile-_tongue:. And since this was a fighter wing, the plane that crashed most likely went for an approximation of a FW-190.

Judging by the reactions it succeeded.

Edited by warheart1992

[HINON]
7,199 posts
2,029 battles

Ten bucks says the author saw the picture, recognized the corss, googled 'nazi fighter plane', and used the first name that popped up.

Ah well, not like I'd expect much from TMZ.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,233 posts
8,804 battles
1 hour ago, Chobittsu said:

So a friend sent me a link to this...
tmz_being_idiots_by_chobittsu_studios-dc

Right away I was like "TMZ eh? I wonder what they got wrong..."   It didn't take me long to spot the problem.

Firstly, 109s have inline engines, not radials. Secondly, even if it were an Fw-190, the cowling and undercarriage are all wrong.
So I did a couple quick google searches... it took me less than 3 minutes to find the plane that crashed, an SNJ-5 Texan from Condor Squadron.

33463278290_3767cb7b4b_b.jpg

I achieved better journalism in the time it takes to microwave a burrito than TMZ has...

Calling TMZ journalism is stretching the term beyond the breaking point. I can do better journalism with the toilet paper while doing my morning business and I suck at writing.  On tarmac/apron tarmac is a British term.

• Cool 2

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
1,099 posts
5,974 battles
28 minutes ago, Phoenix_jz said:

Ten bucks says the author saw the picture, recognized the corss, googled 'nazi fighter plane', and used the first name that popped up.

Oh, absolutely.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,385 posts
7,979 battles
1 hour ago, Chobittsu said:

The instant I get to them saying it was a 109

1pd1xy.jpg

Aside from the obvious thing pointed out of Inline vs Radial, the wing shape and pretty sure length is all wrong, if we could see the tail that would be wrong, the overall body shape is wrong beyond the nose, The canopy is wrong, and the landing gear is completely wrong because the 109 had gear that went up toward the wing edge, and came down more under the body giving it it's narrow landing base that was less than ideal for carrier use as well as having the tires exposed when looking from the wing, not shielded. 

Odds are it was a half-:etc_swear:ed job to try and make it look like a Fw-190, likely in a movie where it was a stand in, and either most people wouldn't notice (like they thought in that Iron Eagle sequel we wouldn't recognize a P-51A/B disguised to try and be a 109) or would have been touched up with effects in editing, cause it seems to be a go to for conversions to other planes. Most notably the T6 (Designation I know it under) being converted back in the day to resemble A6M's and maybe a couple other types that attacked Pearl Harbor for Tora, Tora, Tora, which fun fact, are still in use today (when Bay did Pearl Harbor they used a couple of the same ones from Tora) though those conversions are by far better done and closer. 

For all the issues I have with Wargaming on planes over the years just in this game they have never been THAT bad. 

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,416 posts
3,673 battles

Aircraft mechanic/plane owner/pilot/etc etc... thinks this is hilarious. Fake news with the 1/1024th german aircraft. Priceless.

Also seeing different reports of it being an AT-6 and an SNJ(there's slight differences, but still differences).

The pilot lived, flies for Alaska Scarelines, and is part of a group that does mock dogfights at airshows.

[KENT]
Members
564 posts
3,962 battles

how the [edited] does one mistake a Bf 109 with an FW 190 assuming it was an actual FW 190*? there vastly different looking aircraft even if there wreaked on a highway ... oh wait its TMZ, the worlds leading source of news that no one cares about and is mostly [edited] 

(*this was edited in when i realize it was a texan cosplaying as a FW 190... i need to stop quick reading)

Edited by saru_richard

[FOXEH]
Members
267 posts
4,345 battles

It's TMZ. That's all that really needs to be said on the matter.  (Except that glad no one was hurt)

Edited by SomemuttupNorth